Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’s never going to Liverpool. The only one that worries me is West Ham, hopefully Loppi does us a favour and takes the job.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palace appointed a Europa League winner in Glasner.

Bournemouth got the coach that everyone in Spain was raving about in Iraola.

We got a Europa League winner/ex-Real Madrid boss in Lopetegui.

I don't think people appreciate just how attractive these jobs are to people. If O'Neil left us tomorrow, I wouldn't even be sure he'd get another PL job. (I mean, he probably would, but it's by no means a certainty, especially if Leeds/Leicester come up).

IMO he's nowhere near a West Ham level, never mind a Liverpool.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't do a good job if he was given a chance, but why pick someone with two decent years under their belt, when you can go out and get almost anyone?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Palace appointed a Europa League winner in Glasner.

Bournemouth got the coach that everyone in Spain was raving about in Iraola.

We got a Europa League winner/ex-Real Madrid boss in Lopetegui.

I don't think people appreciate just how attractive these jobs are to people. If O'Neil left us tomorrow, I wouldn't even be sure he'd get another PL job. (I mean, he probably would, but it's by no means a certainty, especially if Leeds/Leicester come up).

IMO he's nowhere near a West Ham level, never mind a Liverpool.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't do a good job if he was given a chance, but why pick someone with two decent years under their belt, when you can go out and get almost anyone?
I mean I sort of agree but I'm not having 'he's nowhere near West Ham level' when he's already at Wolves! Sure as hell isn't at top 4 levels though - yet.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good start to next season and GON will be in big demand. Right now, i think he's too much of a risk.

fleck1

Reaction score
Its nice to have a young manager that has a reputation, where he's being linked with other roles. Rather than us wanting him to get another job. Same with the playing group, it means we are actually doing something right. I don't see him going anywhere just yet, hadn't done a full season at Bournemouth, jumping ship here after a year could easily go badly and end up having three jobs in three season. I'm sure Hobbs and the club will back him over the summer, he's put himself in a strong bargaining position, I can only see a new contract and looking to put his stamp on the club with a good preseason.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll be honest and the fear with us is not so much the losing of a manager, and this one really would be a loss, but the trust to find a few one.

For every Nuno, Lopetegui and GON there’s been a Lambert, Lage or an offer to Beale.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve been crap of late.. but a lot of people predicted it if we lost to Cov. Too many injuries with a small squad to sustain a Euro challenge.. the cup was the thing keeping the morale going.

We’ve seen the best of Wolves this season.. but, it’s gonna be a very disappointing finish.

Hopefully it has a positive effect on Summer transfer dealings, because the squad needs additions.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made the right subs today , eventually

Jjst far too late

Let down by the players who started with no fight or bottle

Happily never see doc or Sarabia ever play again

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I love the bloke but has he been found out? We’ve been flat last few games

We are back to the ****e we played in early days of GON…..

Relying on long balls in behind and fast lads sprinting with the ball and hoping magic happens.

If GON had adama….. he would have a constant boner……,

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've no questions about GON ability tactically and with regards to his manmanagement
But I'm starting to wonder about the other aspects around the team.
When he arrived a big deal was made of the increase in intensity in training sessions
It seemed a good idea at the time and we certainly for a long time looked a lot more intense and aggressive in games.
However now the players looks knackered and we're suffering from injuries.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another disappointing performance by O'Neil for me. Far too many in the past two months. You can see why Bournemouth decided that Iraola was a far better bet.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman got an assist tonight.

And semedo was the first ever contestant of the football version of stars in their eyes…….

“Tonight Matthew, I’m going to be Connor Coady when an attacker is running at me”

He was so fast he broke land speed records with his backing off, especially on the goal…..

Fen Wolf

Reaction score
Once you get over the frustration of VAR (which wasn’t wrong btw as annoying as it was), objectively look at the game.

GON started with Lemina in the middle of a back 5 to allow Ait Nouri to play higher, shifting Toti to LWB. We clearly would have trained and prepared for this. It catastrophically failed ruining both our midfield dynamic and defensive shape. We were all over the shop for 15mins until GON reverted everyone to normal positions. But by then, the momentum had gone and we couldn’t recover: we were nervous as hell, Bournemouth sniffed blood so went for us. The crowd see it and went flat & frustrated - this translates to the players. Players started whining at each other knocking confidence further. It was a perpetuating mess in the first half.

Frankly, GON’s experiment (or plan A for the game) failed and cost us the game. This one’s on him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once you get over the frustration of VAR (which wasn’t wrong btw as annoying as it was), objectively look at the game.

GON started with Lemina in the middle of a back 5 to allow Ait Nouri to play higher, shifting Toti to LWB. We clearly would have trained and prepared for this. It catastrophically failed ruining both our midfield dynamic and defensive shape. We were all over the shop for 15mins until GON reverted everyone to normal positions. But by then, the momentum had gone and we couldn’t recover: we were nervous as hell, Bournemouth sniffed blood so went for us. The crowd see it and went flat & frustrated - this translates to the players. Players started whining at each other knocking confidence further. It was a perpetuating mess in the first half.

Frankly, GON’s experiment (or plan A for the game) failed and cost us the game. This one’s on him.

He did with Lemina what lage did with neves……..

And lage got crucified…… will gon get the same criticism?

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
I've no questions about GON ability tactically and with regards to his manmanagement
But I'm starting to wonder about the other aspects around the team.
When he arrived a big deal was made of the increase in intensity in training sessions
It seemed a good idea at the time and we certainly for a long time looked a lot more intense and aggressive in games.
However now the players looks knackered and we're suffering from injuries.

He’s already spoken about this numerous times. He was aware this would happen but felt it gave us the best chance of getting the points on the board (like we have). He was told to keep us up - he has.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't agree with that on this occasion, this was dreadful in terms of our set up first half in particular

Sure we were poor today. My post was in response to someone starting a thread saying Gary O'Neil had been found out. Its been merged with this thread now though, so lost its context.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Roger

Reaction score
Gon is a flash in the pan. There are better Managers out there and I’m sure Hobbs knows this . We persist with our current manager we will go down next season. I know we have injuries to our top players but at the moment his team selection is cxxp .Ho bye the way he talks a good talk !!!

Back
Top Bottom