Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought Lopetegui not playing Jimenez in that game was payback for Raul choosing to stay with Mexico when Lop wanted him back at Wolves.
Lopetegui came out and said he didn't realise the significance of not giving Raul an appearance but I still think it was a deliberate calculated callous decision.
I agree. Plenty of us suggested that at the time

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where GON absolutely has the right to complain is the happenings in January. I am absolutely certain that he would, unless certifiably insane, not agree to releasing players from an already understrength and unbalanced squad without certain assurances. Once again, as for other head coaches, unfulfilled.....

Tbh I think he was told he would have pretty much no control over anything with transfers this season and not to expect anything either.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh I think he was told he would have pretty much no control over anything with transfers this season and not to expect anything either.

Well we know he was told to let sasa and Fabio go and he would be able to get a striker as money generated would mean there wouldn’t be an issue……

He did this and shock horror….. he didn’t get them and GON outed Jeff for not paying a small fee for a striker….,

So Jeff has already broken an agreement with GON who delivered his part of the deal.

So in less than 12 months he has broken agreements with managers over transfers by repeatedly moving the goal posts

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I was GON I wouldn't sign any new contract until I know what the transfer budget is and I've actually seen it spent. I'd want to be sure the club have the same ambitions as me especially after recent history. The contract value is of less importance as I can move more easily while my stock is high.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Julen is a genius, I'm sure of it. If we had any money, and/or ambition, this season would have been amazing. He managed to get us to a back 4, and still solid, and no one's managed that for 6 years. He did that in half a season.

GON has done a good job, next season will be very interesting. He has absolutely got a tune out of RAN and Cuhna. But also back to a back 5 but still rarely defensively solid. Same old issues of the Nuno era appearing, but Nuno had a vastly superior squad so GON has earned his continuing opportunity.

Whatever happens, I will be gutted if he goes to West Ham and does well. But who'd want to work for Jeff? I'm certain the second GON gets a better offer, he'll be off.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
What nucleus of a good team? We were cast adrift at the bottom of the league and playing terrible almost spineless football every week.

We were lacking fight and bottle and needed to sign 4 players all of whom were key players in us staying up and key reason why we are where we are now……

We looked like dead certs to go down before JL rocked up.

That is revisionism at its finest in regards to lopetegui.
Interestingly I just checked the odds for relegation as of 20 December 2022 and Bournemouth were still favourites to get relegated, at least on the site I saw. We were 3rd favourites behind Forest.
Can’t we all just agree that both did a good job?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interestingly I just checked the odds for relegation as of 20 December 2022 and Bournemouth were still favourites to get relegated, at least on the site I saw. We were 3rd favourites behind Forest.
Can’t we all just agree that both did a good job?

That is the point I am making, that both had challenges…… both were in the running to go down.

I just don’t like the running down of the achievement of what JL did because he exited how he did……

As both managers spent money and took on in their own rights very challenging situations….

Both achieved their objectives which in the modern greed league and the FFP breaches of both Everton and Forest an even better achievement knowing this!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was GON I wouldn't sign any new contract until I know what the transfer budget is and I've actually seen it spent. I'd want to be sure the club have the same ambitions as me especially after recent history. The contract value is of less importance as I can move more easily while my stock is high.

The issue for the club then is, spending lots of money (potentially) overhauling the squad for a manager who may/may not stay……

The club will want assurances about his commitment too before they spend.

And rightfully so…….

GON doesnt yet have the big name or extensive CV to dictate the rules of the game with a “spend it or I go” scenario without him committing first

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The issue for the club then is, spending lots of money (potentially) overhauling the squad for a manager who may/may not stay……

The club will want assurances about his commitment too before they spend.

And rightfully so…….

GON doesnt yet have the big name or extensive CV to dictate the rules of the game with a “spend it or I go” scenario without him committing first
He is currently hot property and Shi has form for being disingenuous and moving the goalposts last two windows. Only a fool would sign a contract extension (remember he already has a contract) without certainty over the tools he will have to work with in this extended future. A summer of negotiation beckons.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is currently hot property and Shi has form for being disingenuous and moving the goalposts last two windows. Only a fool would sign a contract extension (remember he already has a contract) without certainty over the tools he will have to work with in this extended future. A summer of negotiation beckons.

Yes I agree with you….. Jeff is as trustworthy as a child with chocolate chips smeared all over his face, cookie crumbs falling out of his mouth and his hand in the cookie jar saying he isn’t eating cookies to you…..

But he cannot and justifiably so, not do the spending if GON doesn’t commit himself.

The negotiations should already be underway…. The summer with a euros added in is way too late……

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes I agree with you….. Jeff is as trustworthy as a child with chocolate chips smeared all over his face, cookie crumbs falling out of his mouth and his hand in the cookie jar saying he isn’t eating cookies to you…..

But he cannot and justifiably so, not do the spending if GON doesn’t commit himself.

The negotiations should already be underway…. The summer with a euros added in is way too late……
I'm sure they are already underway but the budget cannot be set until the finishing position is established plus decisions on who is being sold. I've been in a similar position to GON and taking up a position offered is a two way negotiation where they set my targets and remuneration and I agree the resources that will be provided to achieve these targets. Agree re Jeff lol.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure they are already underway but the budget cannot be set until the finishing position is established plus decisions on who is being sold. I've been in a similar position to GON and taking up a position offered is a two way negotiation where they set my targets and remuneration and I agree the resources that will be provided to achieve these targets. Agree re Jeff lol.

I agree mate, the definitive budget cannot be agreed.

But they can or have an outline based on each league positions prize revenue, plus tv, sponsorship agreements and season tickets.

Then they can say there is the potential for between x & y based on player sales.

They should at least have a slight idea on the transfer budget, if they don’t that would be a bloody massive worry!!!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree mate, the definitive budget cannot be agreed.

But they can or have an outline based on each league positions prize revenue, plus tv, sponsorship agreements and season tickets.

Then they can say there is the potential for between x & y based on player sales.

They should at least have a slight idea on the transfer budget, if they don’t that would be a bloody massive worry!!!
We will be fine. Jeff & Hobbs had showdown talks after January apparently.

Rumours that Neto, Gomes & RAN have clubs ready to meet the prices. If they leave early we can get replacements in early. Time will tell all on bs Jeffery

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be fine. Jeff & Hobbs had showdown talks after January apparently.

Rumours that Neto, Gomes & RAN have clubs ready to meet the prices. If they leave early we can get replacements in early. Time will tell all on bs Jeffery

Losing Gomes and RAN ontop of Neto is too much of the front line to leave in one hit for me!

Especially with us having the massive lack in quality squad depth!!!

If those three leaving doesn’t give us over £100m to spend before the sales of;

Podence
Guedes
Silva

Then Jeff shi has some serious bloody questions to answer!!!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Lop had gotten relegated with that squad after that January last season, it would have been just about the worst job any manager has ever done in the Premier League. Worse even than Nathan Jones.

Instead, he did fine, and was paid very handsomely for it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lop had gotten relegated with that squad after that January last season, it would have been just about the worst job any manager has ever done in the Premier League. Worse even than Nathan Jones.

Instead, he did fine, and was paid very handsomely for it.
I agree, but if we hadn’t made those signings………,

I think we all know we would have gone down!

Lemina and Dawson in particular were the main driving forces behind our survival.

Then add in Gomes and cunha and how they have grown since settling here.

They saved our season and gave GON a very very good spine for his starting 11.

So that Jan, saved us last and this season!!! As the summer and this Jan were a ****ing car crash!!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree, but if we hadn’t made those signings………,

I think we all know we would have gone down!

Lemina and Dawson in particular were the main driving forces behind our survival.

Then add in Gomes and cunha and how they have grown since settling here.

They saved our season and gave GON a very very good spine for his starting 11.

So that Jan, saved us last and this season!!! As the summer and this Jan were a ****ing car crash!!
Yes, that January was very, very well-done. I put that mostly to Hobbs, but to the extent Lop had his fingers in that he deserves credit.

Wolves could very easily have been Leicester City after the Silva/Guedes etc disasters. That's so much wasted money.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing Gomes and RAN ontop of Neto is too much of the front line to leave in one hit for me!

Especially with us having the massive lack in quality squad depth!!!

If those three leaving doesn’t give us over £100m to spend before the sales of;

Podence
Guedes
Silva

Then Jeff shi has some serious bloody questions to answer!!!
If valuations are met, they are quite high.

Let’s give Jeff one more chance before jumping on him.

I think Jeff, Guo & Hobbs have found a process to follow for us to improve. Like Brighton are a successfully run club we want to follow

Let’s guess some values

Gomes 60m+
Neto 60m+
RAN 60m+

We are in a healthy position if a bidding war stars without selling the likes of Guedes and so on

Everyone should save the pant wetting for the end of the window. Especially with Mendes on speed dial, he can pull something out the bag once more. We always love an end of window signing right??

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If valuations are met, they are quite high.

Let’s give Jeff one more chance before jumping on him.

I think Jeff, Guo & Hobbs have found a process to follow for us to improve. Like Brighton are a successfully run club we want to follow

Let’s guess some values

Gomes 60m+
Neto 60m+
RAN 60m+

We are in a healthy position if a bidding war stars without selling the likes of Guedes and so on

With Hobbs at the wheel…., I have confidence!!!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sort of what lopetegui predicted for us this season...

And with the injuries we have shown near relegation form in the 8 games since we lost a few players.

So he wasn’t wrong, the whole squad wasn’t good enough.

Starting 11 is top half quality, but beneath that it is and was always too thin and lacking quality

the genius

Reaction score
Actually not what he said at all. You seem very keen on defending Jeff who is basically the new Jizz.
I haven't mentioned Jeff once... all I've put across is my opinions that gon keeping up Bournemouth was a slightly more impressive feat than lopetegui with us. I've tried to not my personal feelings of lopetegui cloud my assessment of his tenure.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Followed by the copy and paste story from anonymous source “seff jhi” that the manager was prickly and hard to work with and at times making staff uncomfortable.

Like happened to Nuno, lage and JL
Nuno was very much so, that is first hand from a very very respected local journo, sadly no longer with us.
Lage was poor at managing individuals
Lopetegiu was too busy licking himself to care
When you are controlled by ego and hubris like JL, he was never just going to accept it.

Also if he is a man of morals and the importance of keeping your word and honouring deals, then the repeated moving of goal posts in regards to transfers, then Jeff doing what he did was terminal for the relationship.

He's a man of arrogance. Morals
Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

nunes was more miss than hit last season, RAN wasn’t the player he is showing this season and semedo is another who was more miss than hit last season and him and RAN you could say are different players this season compared to last.

Nunes was not a top player last season with his contributions by any stretch of the imagination……,

Kilman….. we leaked goals, he was poor in many games and he looked out of his depth alongside Collins till Dawson came in to make him more settled and coach him through games

We were looking dead an buried…… we were many points from the side above us…..
We had a much stronger squad last year, than where we are right now. Lopetegui did galvanise us and do well.
GON has a much weaker squad to work with as you allude to with alarming regularity, yet is performing almost the same.

You can acknowledge JL's achievement without damning the other, but let us deal as you say, in facts.

1713977923587.png

When we lost 6 0 to Brighton, here was our starting team

1713977994190.png
Here are the subs.

There is no comparison.

GON our Lord and saviour.
JL, made of chocolate and eats himself. :cool:

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF
Prince Harry Mic Drop GIF

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is also possible to do both.

Not getting drawn back in to the JL debate.

Nuno was very much so, that is first hand from a very very respected local journo, sadly no longer with us.

We had a much stronger squad last year, than where we are right now. Lopetegui did galvanise us and do well.
GON has a much weaker squad to work with as you allude to with alarming regularity, yet is performing almost the same.

You can acknowledge JL's achievement without damning the other, but let us deal as you say, in facts.

View attachment 42162

View attachment 42163
Here are the subs.

There is no comparison.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 42162

View attachment 42163
Here are the subs.

There is no comparison.

I think you have misunderstood the reason of why I said what I said…….

I am bored of people reducing the achievements of JL, he had a very hard situation.

I said “if he is a man of morals” not that he was…… then being misled would have killed the relationship if he was/is a man who puts a lot in the delivery of agreed promises.

I haven’t compared this season squad to last season. anyone with a functioning frontal lobe knows the squad is weaker this season…..

I was saying about Bournemouth and wolves last season situations as people make out like JL took over a good squad that was simply underperforming which is patently not true based on how many players we had to sign to stay up…..

I haven’t deliberately “damned” the achievements of one or the other from LAST season….. I was saying both had major hurdles and JL’s situation wasn’t as easy as people want to think it was.

I have always said this season the squad is weaker than last season.

I have also said GON has done amazing work this season with the squad available many times in the last month…. I doubt strongly that JL would have done the same as GON in this time frame. As like I said in a reply to yougottaraulwithit, GON is a better leader and motivator and this season those skills he has in spades have been massive and rebuilt the squad and got them delivering better than the sum of their parts the last 8 games.

So i agree 100% this season GON is/was/always will be the best manager for us based on what he has achieved after he settled this season.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you have misunderstood the reason of why I said what I said…….

I am bored of people reducing the achievements of JL, he had a very hard situation.

I said “if he is a man of morals” not that he was…… then being misled would have killed the relationship if he was/is a man who puts a lot in the delivery of agreed promises.

I haven’t compared this season squad to last season. anyone with a functioning frontal lobe knows the squad is weaker this season…..

I was saying about Bournemouth and wolves last season situations as people make out like JL took over a good squad that was simply underperforming which is patently not true based on how many players we had to sign to stay up…..

I haven’t deliberately “damned” the achievements of one or the other from LAST season….. I was saying both had major hurdles and JL’s situation wasn’t as easy as people want to think it was.

I have always said this season the squad is weaker than last season.

I have also said GON has done amazing work this season with the squad available many times in the last month…. I doubt strongly that JL would have done the same as GON in this time frame. As like I said in a reply to yougottaraulwithit, GON is a better leader and motivator and this season those skills he has in spades have been massive and rebuilt the squad and got them delivering better than the sum of their parts the last 8 games.

So i agree 100% this season GON is/was/always will be the best manager for us based on what he has achieved after he settled this season.
Can we sing the Lopetegui song for Gaz??

We’ve got super Gazzz O’Neil
He knows exactly what we need
Toti at the back, Cunha in attack
Wolves are staying the Premier League

Back
Top Bottom