Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Bellegarde, the Paraguay kid, Bueno at CB and Tommy Doyle have turned us, in your eyes, from “nailed on for relegation” to a team that “should be comfortably mid table”.??

Have a day off Muggy.
In fairness, he never said or implied that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to judge many things from the tv.
Do you think the players are running more because they are fitter or from motivation or a bit of both?

They certainly were working hard during the city game and I attributed that to motivation.
I think they’re running more because they’re pressing harder which will come from management

Reaction score
Neto was bang in form like this for Portugal in the summer……. He was sensational in their games and was very good against England and extremely unlucky not to score.

So did GO get him back and looking like he is now when he played in the summer? Of course not.

Or is Neto just finally fully fit and back to his pre-injury levels? As the kind of injury neto had is no lies a potential career ender and will have taken a long time to get physiologically back from.

Neto is playing like the Neto of old as he is finally injury free which he wasn’t for any stage for JL
I'm commenting on what I have seen from the start of the season until now. I've not seen any of his games in the summer.

Yes Neto is fully fit & that has a lot to do with his form.

I think the manager likes Neto & thinks he is a very good player. He believes in him.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I'm commenting on what I have seen from the start of the season until now. I've not seen any of his games in the summer.

I think the manager likes Neto & thinks he is a very good player. He believes in him.
Good points. He's made Neto the "main man" and is game planning around him. For example, he moves him around so that he can be the most effective offensively (opposite Ake instead of Walker). And encouraging him to take risks and make things happen.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would worry if he didn’t like Pedro, his personality is infectious and fit or not he clearly loves being at the club.

Also, who wouldn’t think he is a very good player? He had multiple Portugal senior caps and was much coveted all over Europe before his knee injury for fees greater than neves was getting offers for based on what I have heard from clubs who wanted both neves and Neto.

If he didn’t like him or didn’t think he wasn’t a very good player, I wouldn’t want him at the club a day longer!

Neto is currently the sole attacking threat going forward before the ball goes into the box. So he is the life raft GO is hanging onto as without Pedro in his current form we aren’t where we are now.

We need to make sure we start spreading the load as Pedro will start to get rougher treatment and double marked.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sammy Chapman cared about the club. He was so limited in what he had to work with and kept us going. Always had respect for him
I have only just read that Sammy Chapman was involved in the betting scandal in 1964 where many footballers had prison sentences for placing bets on matches they were involved in.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to make sure we start spreading the load as Pedro will start to get rougher treatment and double marked.
I was always double marked when I was at school. One teacher would give me a very low mark and then another teacher would be given the job to reduce it further.
Mind you the teachers obviously liked me as virtually every day they would invite me to spend more time with them after school hours. :eek:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahh threads started in summer being bought back to life, love it. The early pages always give me a chuckle.

loppers86

Reaction score
Gaz has done great, but when the wheels come off this big at the end of the season, it rare the manager is still in place by xmas the following season.

gon = lage mk2?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Premier League manager of the year nominations- Pep, Arteta, Klopp, Emery, Iraola. No issue with the first four but if Iraola makes the list ahead of Gary I’m not sure why?
Exactly Iraola had a full preseason and spent 80m improving his squad
Gary came in 4 days before having lost 15 players we were 2/1 favourites for relegation
Despite injuries and despite terrible VAR he’s still done better imo.
Moyes has done better than Iraola as well.
Klopp only there as it’s last season. Hate to say it but emery should be the winner

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Premier League manager of the year nominations- Pep, Arteta, Klopp, Emery, Iraola. No issue with the first four but if Iraola makes the list ahead of Gary I’m not sure why?
It’s ridiculous that Iraola is in and Gaz isn’t. Anyway Gaz is my hero. From The Athletic

It reveals that O’Neil attempted to speak to the officials in their dressing room straight after the final whistle but was told to return after 30 minutes. O’Neil did, flanked by sporting director Matt Hobbs, and what ensued was an angry disagreement between the Wolves boss and the officiating team.

O’Neil threatened that there would be an “altercation”, with at least one official claiming that amounted to a threat of violence, and O’Neil was asked to leave — which he did, but not before telling the officials he hoped they would all be sacked.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous that Iraola is in and Gaz isn’t. Anyway Gaz is my hero. From The Athletic

Said to my son that I wish that had been recorded on video and shared. I’m not advocating or condoning violence, but it’s time that the officials realise that their actions have consequences beyond a week long holiday in the EFL, or a pat on the back from Webb, when they help the PL with its “product”.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Recency bias I suspect. If the nominations had been done in early March O'Neil might well have been there, but not the way it's gone since (not down to him, but that's how it goes).

For my money Pep is brilliant, Arteta has done well, Klopp is in it for sentiment, Iraola has done well after a slow start, but much as it pains me to say it, Emery has done the best job. At least they've only got 2 more hours in Europe.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said to my son that I wish that had been recorded on video and shared. I’m not advocating or condoning violence, but it’s time that the officials realise that their actions have consequences beyond a week long holiday in the EFL, or a pat on the back from Webb, when they help the PL with its “product”.
I wonder if any PGMOL officials are on final written warnings.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a very real chance we will finish 15th in points terms - ahead of Everton due to a deduction.

That does not warrant a manager of the year nomination.

We were tipped to go down by some, but only in 18th, everyone had written the other two off (Luton & Sheff U).

There are some articles that have us as the third favourites to go, but, this for example, has us down as coming 14th in terms of odds.
I know Lopetegui left afterwards, but it shows the team were seen as competitive, so we dropped into third favourites to go down because of Gary O'Neil, not the squad.

By the way, I'm not criticising O'Neil but it should worry some of you. You think he's done a great job and we could be 15th!! And we basically know that we're going to lose at least one star player this summer.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
There's a very real chance we will finish 15th in points terms - ahead of Everton due to a deduction.

We were tipped to go down by some, but only in 18th, everyone had written the other two off (Luton & Sheff U).

There are some articles that have us as the third favourites to go, but, this for example, has us down as coming 14th in terms of odds.
I know Lopetegui left afterwards, but it shows the team were seen as competitive, so we dropped into third favourites to go down because of Gary O'Neil, not the squad.

By the way, I'm not criticising O'Neil but it should worry some of you. You think he's done a great job and we could be 15th!! And we basically know that we're going to lose at least one star player this summer.
Alternatively we may finish 11th and above Bournemouth, who knows

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think GON is anywhere near manager of the season. From my perspective, he's exceeded my expectations of what i thought he was capable of, but at the end of the day, all he has done is get a mid table premier league side to finish mid table. We are where we should be imo. For him to be in the manager of the year mix, he needs to get the squad to exceed its expectations, and we simply haven't done it.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think GON is anywhere near manager of the season. From my perspective, he's exceeded my expectations of what i thought he was capable of, but at the end of the day, all he has done is get a mid table premier league side to finish mid table. We are where we should be imo. For him to be in the manager of the year mix, he needs to get the squad to exceed its expectations, and we simply haven't done it.
This

He's exceeded what was expected from him by the majority of fans, no doubt about that. Has he exceeded what this squad could have done? No, not by a long shot. He showed good signs, but couldn't organise the defence, didn't manage what he had, burnt them out by February and we'll end up bottom half of the table with two embarrassing cup exits to boot

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s fair.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Emery is pretty obviously manager of the season.

The Wolves season has petered out through injuries. I do think Gary was very naive with Neto. The other injuries I don't really blame him. The attacking depth just allowed for something like this to happen, and it did.

Very interested to see what next season brings.

I do think that the way he managed the (truly mediocre) defence this season isn't too shabby. It was looking dark with four at the back....a league average defence is pretty good considering.

I think there is plenty reason to suspect he will be better next season than this season, and be was pretty good this season. Not manager of the season good, but still a very exciting manager prospect.

The squad chemistry was unusually good this season. That aspect especially i wonder about after more turnover.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watches a video on YouTube of when Gary got red carded in a play off final (2014 Championship final QPR v Derby County. QPR won 1-0.). He. took one for the team to save a goal. He said he went straight to the dressing room and demolished some of the kit man's equipment.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let’s not forget the 11 points we should have from shocking decisions

We would be 6th - with a depleted squad. Incredible

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON will have learnt a huge amount this year which surely means next season should be even better than this. Of course, having the right tools at your disposal is vital to being able to perform to a consistently high level and hopefully the board will back him well in the summer.
This season was always a learning curve for him, was a consolidation season for us (i.e not get relegated) and both of those have been well and truly achieved.
Many teams will strengthen over the summer, the teams coming up this year can’t be as bad as the 3 going down, so it’ll be interesting to see if we stand still or are playing catch up come the start of the new season. GON will be ready/prepared though with the benefit of a full preseason.

bully9

Reaction score
I think Emery is pretty obviously manager of the season.

The Wolves season has petered out through injuries. I do think Gary was very naive with Neto. The other injuries I don't really blame him. The attacking depth just allowed for something like this to happen, and it did.

Very interested to see what next season brings.

I do think that the way he managed the (truly mediocre) defence this season isn't too shabby. It was looking dark with four at the back....a league average defence is pretty good considering.

I think there is plenty reason to suspect he will be better next season than this season, and be was pretty good this season. Not manager of the season good, but still a very exciting manager prospect.

The squad chemistry was unusually good this season. That aspect especially i wonder about after more turnover.
Emery wins nothing and you think that’s a achievement, perhaps that way of thinking is part of the reason this country is failing , let’s all celebrate coming potentially 4th not

surreywolf

Reaction score

Jesus H if we had the points we should have (without VAR) we’d be six or seventh. You’re being extremely harsh

surreywolf

Reaction score
This

He's exceeded what was expected from him by the majority of fans, no doubt about that. Has he exceeded what this squad could have done? No, not by a long shot. He showed good signs, but couldn't organise the defence, didn't manage what he had, burnt them out by February and we'll end up bottom half of the table with two embarrassing cup exits to boot

Wow. Glass half empty or what? “Didn’t manage what he had”???? He had a tiny squad and had us midtable long before the end of the season. If any were “burnt out” is it any wonder considering lack of options available to him

I agree he has plenty to prove in future and injuries to key players has seen form drop off, but why go over the top? I think he did very well with what he had. The previous manager saw fit to walk out because of the same group of players

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow. Glass half empty or what? “Didn’t manage what he had”???? He had a tiny squad and had us midtable long before the end of the season. If any were “burnt out” is it any wonder considering lack of options available to him

I agree he has plenty to prove in future and injuries to key players has seen form drop off, but why go over the top? I think he did very well with what he had. The previous manager saw fit to walk out because of the same group of players

I think in some respects he has mismanaged the side. He said he knew the injuries were going to happen, he saw it coming and despite this, he still persisted in playing the same front line , same system week in, week out. He didnt really try to be a bit more pragmatic about changing his preferred playing style and system to give some of these blokes a rest, and every one of them got injured. He didnt have a lot of options, but switching to a front 2, or even just playing one of the younger players more often before the injuries kicked in would have helped immensely.

As i said, he's done a solid job, better than i thought he would, but some ( not all ) of our fade out is on his team selections and tactics just like when we were on a roll and playing really good football, that was down to the decisions he made as well. I'd feel very hypocritical if i just ignored the good parts and concentrated on the bad, and vice versa.

The last part though i cant agree with. Lopetegui didnt leave because of this group of players at all. He left because of what we said we were going to do, then us changing our minds again and again to the point where it became untenable for him.

Back
Top Bottom