Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Forest- possible points deduction

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If those pen shouts were for any of the "big clubs "they're getting them .....guaranteed.
Forest have every right to feel aggrieved imho but the way they've vented their anger is totally amateurish and embarrassing.
We’ve had penalties given against us for a lot less. They all annoy me but the one that really grates is Luton where the arm wasn’t in an unnatural position considering Gomes was sliding and looking to block a cross which deflected off him. If that’s a penalty then Forest’s today is nailed on.

To be honest I’d love Forest and Everton to go down but don’t think either will.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh without a doubt, but everyone knew that Forest would breach FFP, you simply cant have that level of transfer activity and remain inside it. and considering what we had to do in the summer, I have little sympathy.

Forest to me are a historical giant, but their recent efforts don't reflect that. No class, like Lopetegiu.
They have bought about three new keepers and five full backs. . They are spending money like confetti and have a bloated squad with the problem of having to offload the likes of matt turner who cost 12 million.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have bought about three new keepers and five full backs. . They are spending money like confetti and have a bloated squad with the problem of having to offload the likes of matt turner who cost 12 million.
No sympathy for them at all. They cheated and overspent. Nuno is doing a great job of taking them down

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oddly though a draw may have suited Luton so why not give a penalty.
Look, I dislike VAR , at least in its current incarnation but there are ways for a professional football club to complain and that's not it.
Sounds like their chairman TBH and I could understand him putting something like this on his social media or saying it after the match. But the clubs official account?
Could get ugly for PGMOL though, as I believe MGW heard Attwell telling Dyche that Forest were getting nothing today.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other clubs denied by VAR, including Wolves should back Nottingham Forest. They have been brave and strong enough to call VAR out for what it is.
Exactly this! Really disappointing to see so many slating Forest here who will then go right back to declaring VAR the death knell of football, it’s cost us 10 points, etc etc

We should 100% be backing Forest today.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been plenty of complaints about VAR, but the big difference here is that Nottingham Forest have inferred that Attwell cheated. I don’t think any other club has gone as far as that. It will be interesting to see how Webb and the PGMOL react to this.

Will they allow such a slur against one of their officials?
Will Nottingham Forest be asked to explain their statement?
Will they back Stuart Attwell?

I don’t think we have heard the end of this.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this! Really disappointing to see so many slating Forest here who will then go right back to declaring VAR the death knell of football, it’s cost us 10 points, etc etc

We should.

- Premier league corrupt as **** is sung by us every game. So we imply officialls cheat.
- Managers allude to it all the time too. Its always us etc more than a coincidence etc

Forest have simply had the balls to say what we all think, and probably most clubs think too.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Just seen the decisions.

They should have had 2 pens at least. Poor VAR. If its here it's got to get the decisions right.

Heard Nuno on the radio today. He talked about a conspiracy without saying it was.

It's all a bit **** now.

Football has all become about finance and VAR lines. All very unsavoury.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Bringing us into it again. One is questioning the application and purpose of var the other accuses the ref of corruption
IMG_0136.jpeg

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League is the richest by some distance in Europe.
A lot of this contention could be solved by simply employing the best officials outside the UK and the conscious or unconscious bias is taken away.
Remember the joke at Anfield last season in the cup had Mike Dean on VAR with his sons Liverpool season ticket holders and a linesman who was told to flag so our goal could be disallowed with apparent lack of camera angles.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't remember Forest kicking up a stink when Cunha had his heel trodden on in the penalty area last season resulting in his boot being ripped off.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I totally back Forest having watched those decisions.

It’s about time clubs openly said what they think about referees/VAR decisions. Why should the officials get away with contentious decisions week after week and walk away without explanation.

VAR has cost us 10 points this season and as a club, we have been dignified in our response. Forest have gone for it, big time today and I look forward to the Premier League and PGMOL response. Forest may well be heavily fined, but I can see it getting to the stage where clubs will take legal action and I will glad to see it happen.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oddly though a draw may have suited Luton so why not give a penalty.
Look, I dislike VAR , at least in its current incarnation but there are ways for a professional football club to complain and that's not it.
Sounds like their chairman TBH and I could understand him putting something like this on his social media or saying it after the match. But the clubs official account?
Could get ugly for PGMOL though, as I believe MGW heard Attwell telling Dyche that Forest were getting nothing today.
On the last sentence, Naughty naughty very naughty ;)

Blast tyrant

Reaction score
Just reading on Sky that Clattenberg has released a statement. Forest are basically accusing Attwell of being a cheat. Will be interesting to see how the PGMOL and the Premier League respond to all this. His statement is below.

"One of these errors would have been bad enough," he wrote. "Three was a joke, and that is why Nottingham Forest were left feeling victimised after another defeat in which zero big decisions went their way.

"It was a hat-trick of howlers from the refereeing team and, unfortunately for Forest, a continuation of an unjust trend that has hampered their survival fight.

"You will have seen the statement released by the club - how the PGMOL were contacted to warn that it was not appropriate for a Luton fan such as Attwell to play such a pivotal role in a massive match that would impact the relegation race.

"Certainly, I would not have risked this situation if I were the head of the referees and all of this could have been avoided had the PGMOL simply made smarter appointments. Referees do not make mistakes deliberately but this was mind-boggling to watch. Why Attwell did not send Taylor to his screen, only he will know."

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re: the claim against Attwell, it’s not like he is on his own in the VAR room, there is a team of them. So you’re telling me he’s convinced everyone to favour Everton because Luton have a better chance of catching Forest than they do Everton? It’s a ridiculous claim.

The decisions are shockers though.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep Forest ruin any legitimate claims they have by this Luton thing.

As above, he's not the only one in the VAR room. Also, they were playing Everton, a side they were one point behind.

It's actually pretty damning that Forest think Luton will see them as their main rivals and not the team one point above them! Funnily enough, in Luton's dream world, they probably would've wanted a draw, and two of the three claims came when the score was 1-0, so Attwell denied them the chance to equalise.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If those pen shouts were for any of the "big clubs "they're getting them .....guaranteed.
Forest have every right to feel aggrieved imho but the way they've vented their anger is totally amateurish and embarrassing.
Having seen MoTD I think they should have had at least one stonewall penalty. The other two are subjective calls. And I agree, those calls usually go the way of bigger clubs. Forest were in their rights to complain about the VAR appointment before the game. They were ignored. What else can they do? PGMOL are arrogant and autocratic. Clubs can either accept it or organise for change.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been plenty of complaints about VAR, but the big difference here is that Nottingham Forest have inferred that Attwell cheated. I don’t think any other club has gone as far as that. It will be interesting to see how Webb and the PGMOL react to this.

I've been saying for months that the PGMOL is either corrupt or inept. It's definitely one of them.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck.

Kudos to Nottingham Forest for speaking out. They should have had at least two penalties.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well championship Coventry just got one against Sky 6 man united late in the game to force extra time……

So when the world really is watching they can get it right!!!

And the offside call?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the offside call?
Was posted well before the offside.

Was he offside yes, was it the correct call in the eyes of this muppets of the PGMOL yes

But it was against the spirit of the game and stole one of the greatest fa cup comebacks from the history books.

The powers that be have killed football….,

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re: the claim against Attwell, it’s not like he is on his own in the VAR room, there is a team of them. So you’re telling me he’s convinced everyone to favour Everton because Luton have a better chance of catching Forest than they do Everton? It’s a ridiculous claim.

The decisions are shockers though.

I'm not so sure the claim is that ridiculous when you look at this quote from Mike Dean

"I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view. I didn’t want to send Anthony up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I didn’t want any more grief than he already had"

If thats not corrupt i dont know what is.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is the issue for me; The accusation that Attwell actively cheated. The problem Forest have with this and the problem that will work against them is that Attwell is an horrendous referee and has always been an horrendous referee… that’s their case blown out of the water.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not so sure the claim is that ridiculous when you look at this quote from Mike Dean

"I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view. I didn’t want to send Anthony up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I didn’t want any more grief than he already had"

If thats not corrupt i dont know what is.
That’s not corrupt at all, that’s looking out for his mate and having the referees union. It’s pathetic, embarrassing and totally wrong but it’s not corrupt.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the issue for me; The accusation that Attwell actively cheated. The problem Forest have with this and the problem that will work against them is that Attwell is an horrendous referee and has always been an horrendous referee… that’s their case blown out of the water.
Did they say he cheated though. They pointed out he was a Luton fan (I believe he is) and had asked for him to be removed. If I were Attwell I'd have removed myself and, IMHO, the PGMOL should have removed him as well so as to avoid the sort of tweet Notts Forest put out.
The PGMOL will never admit he's an horrendous official.
The Independent panel will likely say all three decisions were correct.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s not corrupt at all, that’s looking out for his mate and having the referees union. It’s pathetic, embarrassing and totally wrong but it’s not corrupt.
From the Journal of Philosophy of Sport 2023
"Whereas officials can act corruptly, they cannot cheat. In contrast, sports participants, since they occupy two roles, can do both. I argue that although acts of cheating are acts of corruption, not all corrupt acts by competitors are acts of cheating".

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did they say he cheated though. They pointed out he was a Luton fan (I believe he is) and had asked for him to be removed. If I were Attwell I'd have removed myself and, IMHO, the PGMOL should have removed him as well so as to avoid the sort of tweet Notts Forest put out.
The PGMOL will never admit he's an horrendous official.
The Independent panel will likely say all three decisions were correct.

Agreed. Apparently, Nottingham Forest contacted PGMOL and voiced their concerns over Stuart Attwell being the VAR. They did did so confidentially and only made their concerns public after the game. Why PGMOL or Attwell himself didn’t see the possible problems his appointment caused is rather strange.

I am hoping that Webb will come forward today and explain what on earth has happened this weekend. I don’t want to hear him saying how all the decisions were correct, I want to hear him tell us why this abomination is still causing so many problems in the game.

I have been watching football for over 60 years and sadly I do not like what the game has become. We had poor referees and mistakes years ago, some of them very poor, but everyone accepted it and got on with the game. Football is not an exact science, so why are they trying to make it into one.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like they are measuring offside before the ball has been kicked by the player making the assist?

I read that it is almost impossible to capture the moment the ball is played, and that a player could move a couple of inches in that time. That couple of inches could mean the Coventry player was actually onside. Was this what VAR was introduced for?

What a total nonsense they have made of what was once a simple and straightforward game.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
Once again VAR becomes the major talking point of the weekend. We all know it is ruining football and is either being run completely ineptly, totally biased or just downright corruptly. Regardless of which it is I think the matchday going fans will dwindle away if nothing is changed and going back to Forest, as much as I don't like them I hope they persue this because all that happens at the moment is if you dare to question what is happening as a club you get fined and they just keep getting away with all these shocking decisions and as said earlier how can you give offside by a few mm when it can never be that clear where the ball exactly leaves the boot in relation to the when they draw the lines.
The whole thing is a ****ing mess.

Back
Top Bottom