Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How painful is following football

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Cov player was level! The VAR line clearly shows so, but the commentator said otherwise.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR is gross. Not reduced controversy, just destroyed the experience for the matchgoing fan.

Scrap it, accept refs like mistakes like players and all humans do. It's a shame that millionaire CEOs of clubs can't see that, football is an imperfect and sometimes chaotic game, stop trying to make it an exact science!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is something very wrong with watching your team score such a vital goal and to celebrate like crazy only to see it chalked off minutes later.

The essence of football is to see your team score and to celebrate. VAR takes that away.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is something very wrong with watching your team score such a vital goal and to celebrate like crazy only to see it chalked off minutes later.

The essence of football is to see your team score and to celebrate. VAR takes that away.
Yep - we all knew it was to be dicey in our very first game of 2019/20 v Leicester and that incorrectly ruled us out a winner.

It’s time VAR was binned for good!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coventry fans are naive.

Any seasoned premier league fan who know better than to even celebrate until the nerds have done their checks.

An absolute abomination. The apathy and acceptance of it, on any level, just blows my brain.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've come to realise that "technically correct" is the worst kind of correct. The denial of one of the great FA comeback / underdog stories because the player was less than an inch offside, utterly violates the spirit of the game. Fans don't come to games to watch that. Had he been an inch further back - guess what? He still runs onto the ball and goes on to score.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Usual idiots saying ‘you’re either offside or not offside’.

Awful it’s come to this - that was a beautiful moment and the game is slowly being destroyed
You’re convoluting your first sentence with an acceptance of VAR. I would say that’s not correct. The Coventry player was offside and it was the right decision.
But by god, I’ve never agreed more with anyone on here as I do with your second sentence.
No-one ever wanted VAR introduced to rule out a three inch offside.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can imagine what coventry fans are feeling tonight, it was gutting enough for us to lose to them but they are a championship side who were losing 3 nil to united after 70 mins they pull it back then in the last minute of extra time they score and have a goal chalked off for an offside which most of us would have said was onside then they need to get the bloody lines out and it's offside, then they lose on penaltys.

VAR is killing football, unfortunately they won't get rid of it.

I'd love to see the stats on the amount of decisions awarded which favour the top 6 over the others.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure in years to come that the next generation of football fans will look back in fondness at the moment they fell in love with the sport, when a crucial match was decided in the final seconds by a bloke in a room measuring an arbitrary computer line over the toe of someone's boot. The distilled essence of the beautiful game.

loppers86

Reaction score
I've come to realise that "technically correct" is the worst kind of correct. The denial of one of the great FA comeback / underdog stories because the player was less than an inch offside, utterly violates the spirit of the game. Fans don't come to games to watch that. Had he been an inch further back - guess what? He still runs onto the ball and goes on to score.
This exactly.

How did some many people who dont appreciate this get to be making all the decisions?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've come to realise that "technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.

It's the tennis ball that the naked eye can see is out, but the computer proves our eyes wrong by showing the bouncing ball changes shape and scrapes a mm of paint so fast that our brains cannot comprehend it.
Just like tennis players do now, you appeal everything and sometimes you're right even if you don't really believe it.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its rubbish and I hate it but without var the lino 100% puts his flag up right away, he looked miles offside in real time, the var lines actually made it look closer.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR is killing football, unfortunately they won't get rid of it.

They may, but it would need an end to the incessant criticism of referees, which was the reason it was introduced.

I can't think of another sport that is meant to be free-flowing when VAR works? NFL, rugbies, cricket, tennis...they're all set-piece games where stoppages are built into the rules.
AFL won't touch it, the free-flowing game is sacrosanct and the whole point is to see who fights hardest.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think people being whipped up into hysteria here because of the teams involved, how loud would people be cry corruption if man utd were attacking and var didnt get involved lol.
I hate var but it looked from first viewing that it was offside in fact looked like wright even thought about leaving it alone. Linesman probably puts his flag up if told to do it as soon as they think offside.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looked offside to me before it went to VAR

Gutting though to comeback from3-0 down to think you’ve got a last minute winner the have it taken away (even if right decision). I guess Man U fans feeling very relieved

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its rubbish and I hate it but without var the lino 100% puts his flag up right away, he looked miles offside in real time, the var lines actually made it look closer.

But had the linesman put his flag up, people in the stadium would have seen it straight away and be more accepting of it. 5 minutes of drawing lines is not what the game is about and it certainly isn't what offside is about.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there was a similar thread recently, regardless, football is dead and it's only going to get worse.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was maradonas handball a beautiful moment?
It was instances like that and Henry's handball v Ireland that it was brought in for, to overturn clear and obvious errors by the on field officials but no they have to spend 5 minutes doing geometry to find out if a toe or shoulder blade was an inch in front of a defender.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about it in all honesty.

Grew up in Chesterfield and for those that remember, they should have been 3-0 up against Boro in 1997's semi final, but David Ellary ruled it hadn't crossed the line.

Have to say with today's incident I thought it was offside by a greater margin in real time, so when the lines came in and it looks like it was actually by a whisker, it doesn't look great. Then again, offside is offside, even if it upsets the magic of the cup in a week where it's truly been under the spotlight.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure in years to come that the next generation of football fans will look back in fondness at the moment they fell in love with the sport, when a crucial match was decided in the final seconds by a bloke in a room measuring an arbitrary computer line over the toe of someone's boot. The distilled essence of the beautiful game.
That’s something for the 10-15 year olds who are now being brought up on VAR. They won’t know anything different.

For 72 year olds like me and many other lovers of the great game it is being totally ruined!

If VAR is progress in its current form, let the the 10-15 year old enjoy it, because they will never know how good the great game used to be!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But had the linesman put his flag up, people in the stadium would have seen it straight away and be more accepting of it. 5 minutes of drawing lines is not what the game is about and it certainly isn't what offside is about.
Had the lino put up his flag straight away the goal would never have happened and no amount of lines drawn would matter
He didnt nor did he flag when the "goal" was scored
I hate VAR except for goal line technology but how far do we go?
If its off its off a mm or a yard, its the rules as dumb as they are,was the penalty as harsh? arguably so
Where do we draw the line,excuse the pun

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think people being whipped up into hysteria here because of the teams involved, how loud would people be cry corruption if man utd were attacking and var didnt get involved lol. I hate var but it looked from first viewing that it was offside in fact looked like wright even thought about leaving it alone. Linesman probably puts his flag up if told to do it as soon as they think offside.
That's not how the current guidelines operate. If the linesman think it's offside, he waits and puts his flag up at the end of the move (in this case, with the ball in the back of the net). Considering he did not put his flag up at the end of the attack, one can only assume he didn't feel it was offside. And considering the above post by @we love jez moxey which appears to show the line, ahem... 'erroneously' drawn over Wan-Bissaka's foot rather than at the tip like it should be, he was right to think Wright was level.

Cov have been properly shafted here - perhaps one of the worst in VAR history given the context. We just need it to happen in a World Cup final or Champions League final now, so we can have significant conversations about getting the whole thing repealed.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
It's not just VAR. The quality of football has never been higher, the enjoyment never lower. And it's all by choice.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I **** ing hate VAR. I actually wanted Coventry to lose, because I’m the bitter type who begrudged the fact they beat us in the way they did. I know, I should grow up.

But **** me that was so cruel on them, I wanted them to win at that stage after they’d pulled it back.

The positives for me are, the more non-PL fans that experience what a horrendous impact it has on match day enjoyment, instead of just witnessing it on TV where it is no way as bad, can only be a good thing for trying to make a stand against it.

I know nothing will happen, and it’s here to stay, but we can dream it might one day be scrapped.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't celebrate our second goal at Forest until I'd had a good shufti at all the officials, the bench and anyone else who I thought would have reacted otherwise. By that time, the moment had gone...........

loppers86

Reaction score
I still go back to “clear and obvious errors “

All we are doing is cancelling goals more often than not it’s tedious
agree. var ref should just check the onfield ref hasn’t made an obvious mistake. big he doesn’t think so game continues. it’s a subjective decision based on guidelines given to all and cannot be questioned.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's bad, but it favoured Cov before and it went against them today. It's kind of equitable in that respect.

Of course it's not equitable at all as we well know, but it seems to me that it is as bad for the goose as it is for the gander and very few teams 'benefit' from VAR over the course of the time it has been ruining the beautiful game.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only a handful of clubs win things. We all know who they are. It's mostly pain for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom