Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We beat Fulham when he got his last injury didn't we?
He played a part....I'm not knocking us just pointing out how hard the premier league is without some of our top players....despite his couple of injury problems this season it's been a good job we had for 60% of the games...if we sold him , we would need to buy another decent winger....

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You conveniently forgot to mention £77m down the drain with Silva,Sasa and Guedes.
Those failures could have cost us dear through relegation had GON not done such a great job.

I didn't mention them as they were not direct replacements for top players who were moved on.

My point is that we have replaced big players well.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely true, of course.... but we have a pretty good track record, even taking into account the Guedes' of this world.

I would suggest the good track record indicates we are doing something right, rather than being lucky - but there is never certainty and a club in our position can't sustain two or three bits of "bad luck" when it comes to transfers.

The Man Utds and the Chelseas can afford to gamble and if they end up overpaying for an Anthony or a Fernandez they can take the hit and move on.

For Wolves, both our short term success and long term success hinges on how good our transfer business is - we need to get it right time and time again.
Exactly. It’s absolutely brutal in that sense. For us, a Silva or Guedes flopping has ramifications to our financial standing for years, yet for a Man City or a Man United it’s a drop in the ocean.

Worlds apart really.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Exactly. It’s absolutely brutal in that sense. For us, a Silva or Guedes flopping has ramifications to our financial standing for years, yet for a Man City or a Man United it’s a drop in the ocean.

Worlds apart really.

And also longer lasting in the fans memories.

Utd can (and will) continue to spray ludicrous amounts of money around and will get a lot wrong and maybe some right. Their fans won't worry too much when the chequebook comes out again...

But for Wolves, the next time we want to spend a huge sum on an untested teenager, the fans will be nervous and the club will err because of that. ....which could lead to us missing out on the next big thing.

We have to trust the process.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key is having a pipeline/succession plan…. Selling Jota was ok as we had Neto to take his place; actually Neves had been covered by the time he left. It often doesn’t work if you sell a key player thinking you can replace him cheaply by buying in, the cheaper players need time to develop/adapt .

IF chiqinho could replace Neto and Bueno RAN that would be fine… but I don’t quite think they can.
RAN as Neto’s “in house” replacement might well work though.
Yes....RAN is a funny one......don't get me wrong ..I nw way want him to be sold......But if you looked at it , in some ways he has peaked enough for us to make a big profit, you could argue it maybe our peak time to do it , from a business perspective..... especially as it's only 12 months since he looked like leaving.....so you could argue very good time to cash in ...12 months ago we would have all been chuffed at 60m for Rayan..

BUT then you look at the current squad and he is probably our most adaptable, important player....his competition has gone backwards a bit this season Bueno.....which is understandable and he probably needs a loan .....so then you maybe looking at needed to bring a couple in.....so from a team perspective it would be devastating ...

Whatever people think about Chiquhinho, he hasn't done a lot for us and can not surely be seen as a adequate replacement for Neto.......I think O'Neil would be alarmed at the thought....the thought of losing both with our numbers worries me.... because it's losing 2 bits of quality..

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you are saying a breakdown of something like 40 million for RAN and 30 million for Neto. I would rather just keep Neto and RAN then.
The opening bid for RAN Is 60 million. He ain’t no Nunes.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not saying he won't improve, I'm saying "I have seen very little from Ben Johnson that suggests he'll ever be close to Nelson Semedo's level".

As I said previously, as a squad player sure but to replace RAN (or Semedo) no chance. If that is the level of replacement we'll be looking at, we'll be in trouble sooner rather than later.
What do we expect for free agent though? We want proven players pay proven prices which we did previously and we aren’t the club of 2018/19 anymore Hobbs has stated. The new revolution is exciting. Semedo never scores anyway not hard to find an attacking replacement

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes....RAN is a funny one......don't get me wrong ..I nw way want him to be sold......But if you looked at it , in some ways he has peaked enough for us to make a big profit, you could argue it maybe our peak time to do , from a business perspective..... especially as it's only 12 months since he looked like leaving.....so you could argue very good time to cash in ...

BUT then you look at the current squad and he is probably our most adaptable, important player....his competition has gone backwards a bit this season Bueno.....which is understandable and he probably needs a loan .....so then you maybe looking at needed to bring a couple in.....so from a team perspective it would be devastating ...

Whatever people think about Chiquhinho, he hasn't done a lot for us and can not surely be seen as an adequate replacement for Neto.......I think O'Neil would be alarmed at the thought....
I think chiquinho is ideal to add a bit of depth. I could live with Bueno replacing RAN as the wingback if we keep the same sort of system. But we’d need a quality first choice front 3. Cunha and RAN plus a proper good nine could work or play 433 and have Toti as your left back.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do we expect for free agent though? We want proven players pay proven prices which we did previously and we aren’t the club of 2018/19 anymore Hobbs has stated. The new revolution is exciting. Semedo never scores anyway not hard to find an attacking replacement
I expect that if we sold RAN for £50m+ that his replacement wouldn't be a free agent from West Ham's reserves is what I'm saying.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And also longer lasting in the fans memories.

Utd can (and will) continue to spray ludicrous amounts of money around and will get a lot wrong and maybe some right. Their fans won't worry too much when the chequebook comes out again...

But for Wolves, the next time we want to spend a huge sum on an untested teenager, the fans will be nervous and the club will err because of that. ....which could lead to us missing out on the next big thing.

We have to trust the process.
To be fair people look back on the 20/21 summer as a failure due to the outlay on Silva, Semedo and even Hoever but we also added RAN (initially on loan), Toti and Vitinha (again on loan).

Had Vitinha been given a bit more game time, and signed, we’d really be looking at three incredible successes already with Semedo increasingly becoming a key player over the last season or so and Hoever starting to find his feet on loan too.

Silva is very much a what if though, the Raul injury changed an awful lot on that one.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You do realise we want defenders to be able to do other things apart from score, right?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if this is our game we may well survive a season or two but sure as eggs is eggs we’ll be looking at another 20-year stretch in the chump shortly after.
Not sure, I think it can be done right but we need fire power and that’s where our money should go

Today Iv also heard that Saudi clubs looking at Fabio, Sa & Semedo… let’s see if that has any legs within a few months

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever we sign in the summer, I hope we haven't give up on them after 4 months. Think Guedes would give Hwang a good run for his money if he was here now.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Not sure, I think it can be done right but we need fire power and that’s where our money should go

Today Iv also heard that Saudi clubs looking at Fabio, Sa & Semedo… let’s see if that has any legs within a few months
If it has any legs, you can guarantee that Fabio will be looking to dive over them.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't mention them as they were not direct replacements for top players who were moved on.

My point is that we have replaced big players well.
Yes ok re midfield replacements but Silva was supposed to be the eventual replacement for Jimenez, as was Sasa. Guedes arguably was a belated attempt to make up for loss of Jota.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£100M for the three, jobs a good un....
The rumour was £40m for Sa, Semedo would have to be similar or more and £15/20m for Silva is well within what they're silly enough to pay for a "generational " talent!

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes ok re midfield replacements but Silva was supposed to be the eventual replacement for Jimenez, as was Sasa. Guedes arguably was a belated attempt to make up for loss of Jota.
This is the problem with the suggestions of selling Cunha. Every single club is looking for a goalscoring striker, and they're like hens teeth! The rest of the team is all reasonably replaceable. I'm not suggesting that for one moment, but we wouldn't necessarily need to break the bank on replacements. Strikers are a totally different story. So unless someone wants to give us £100m+ we shouldn't even be entertaining any such suggestions.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For us to not take an immediate loss on Guedes on the P&L sheet we're probably talking in the ball park of £15m. I can see us selling him for £10m~ with add-ons, incurring a small loss in the short term. Get those wages off the books. He gets a fresh start with a manager he likes.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps we could take one or two of the players who want out of Saudi subject obviously to wages....
Saint Maximin and Mitrovic are probably the only two we'd even have the slightest hope if signing if they agreed to major pay cuts.

I think we're better off selling to Saudi than buying. Use the proceeds for a South American trip!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£15m would be fair for Guedes in two £7.5m tranches over two seasons. Silva I 'm praying we can get £10m for ....somehow.

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
I think chiquinho is ideal to add a bit of depth. I could live with Bueno replacing RAN as the wingback if we keep the same sort of system. But we’d need a quality first choice front 3. Cunha and RAN plus a proper good nine could work or play 433 and have Toti as your left back.
Although I could definitely see a world where Ait Nouri could play wide left in a front three, Gary seems pretty clear that he wants Cunha on the left so they’d be vying for the same position… unless we are assuming Ait Nouri can seamlessly transition from being a left back or left wing back into being a right winger… that seems a stretch to me.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would be receiving a lot of money but a book price loss on some of these loan players. Isn’t it worth using that money to expand the John Ireland stand and south bank to 38,000.

Back
Top Bottom