Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to take common sense bids for players. Saying we have to decline anything less than 80 for RAN is ridiculous as it only takes one injury early next season that takes six months to return from and his value is halved.

We were stupid regarding Adama with precious morons saying we couldn't let him go for 40 when it was clear he is by and large a crap footballer. We are in no position to ignore sensible fees for players, it is the only way we can try to grow.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I give you Jota and Hoever as a counterpoint. There is absolutely no guarantee that every such deal works out.
Nothing is guaranteed on every deal , and admittedly it can be done badly. But that is where the talent lies so we have to try and make a success of it.
To be fair I think Jota was a different time and we were not in such a strong position with that Jota transaction. And Mendes seemed to be our only knowledgeable recruiting resource.

Last edited:

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) It's 8 years despite having never been in that position before at any conpany or be qualified for it outside of China. He's overseen record losses despite raising ticket prices higher than they've ever been.

2) So we're not the most successful club to come up from the second tier

The desperation to make Shi sound competent is always baffling to me.
So 7,7,13,10,13 position is failure? You are deluded if you think it will ever be better than 7th for us.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to take common sense bids for players. Saying we have to decline anything less than 80 for RAN is ridiculous as it only takes one injury early next season that takes six months to return from and his value is halved.

We were stupid regarding Adama with precious morons saying we couldn't let him go for 40 when it was clear he is by and large a crap footballer. We are in no position to ignore sensible fees for players, it is the only way we can try to grow.
Selling your best players isn’t how you grow. Have Southampton, Brighton, Leicester improved from consistently selling their best players over the years? It eventually leads to a regression. For every Gomes, there’s usually a couple of Silva’s.

That’s why it makes complete sense to demand top dollar from those clubs that can afford to pay it. If they don’t want to pay it, then we keep them. Our financial position in the summer will allow that, we don’t need to sell.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good interview with J Phillips;

Says we want a centre back and a centre forward. Interested in Che Adams and Conway (Bristol). Possibly will look to change the keeper.
Doesnt think Wolves were close to FFP limits
More in the interview.
Looked at Vinicius in Jan.
Either Conway or Adams alongside a big forward signing then fair enough. Without a big signing though I’d be quite concerned if thats the extent of our ambition?

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This one doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Neto will go and RAN will be the one we’ll struggle to keep.

Think sadly we'll sell Neto, RAN .......and Gomes this Summer.

We don't need to sell all three but once the " Big " clubs come calling, it will be very hard to keep them.

Of all our first XI players I think Kilman is the most expendable.....I think strengthening our central defence should be a priority.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We don't need to sell all three but once the " Big " clubs come calling, it will be very hard to keep them.

Of all our first XI players I think Kilman is the most expendable.....I think strengthening our central defence should be a priority.

If we sell Neto, Gomes, RAN & Kilman we are looking at decent money maybe £200m when you add in the likes of Fabio,Podence, Guedes and others that we actually want to sell on….

Unfortunately that would really rip the quality this out of this team. We would have to buy quality or be tipped for the drop again.

That’s where hobbs and his crew make their money proving us wrong.

South American market we could do whatever we wanted which would be rather interesting

Bigcheese

Reaction score
If we sell Neto, Gomes, RAN & Kilman we are looking at decent money maybe £200m when you add in the likes of Fabio,Podence, Guedes and others that we actually want to sell on….

Unfortunately that would really rip the quality this out of this team. We would have to buy quality or be tipped for the drop again.

That’s where hobbs and his crew make their money proving us wrong.

South American market we could do whatever we wanted which would be rather interesting
Don't you think every other premier league team and most of europes top league's are also looking at the south American market?
We'll not have a free run on anyone.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't you think every other premier league team and most of europes top league's are also looking at the south American market?
We'll not have a free run on anyone.
No but we have money
What’s the point if every time we have good players we sell them? How do we ever progress?
that’s how self sufficiency works done ok with brighton and Brentford

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man City are good to deal with they have loads of players who maybe good enough for us but won’t make it at Citeh

Issa Kabore - RB if Semedo goes
James McAtee - MF if Gomes goes
Sergio Gomez - LWB if RAN goes
Callum Doyle - CB
Harwood-Bellis - CB
they never ever happen this way, but i’d happily take a player-weighted deal if it helped to pad the squad out. it goes against everything i believe in but if that’s what the managers wants…
£30m for Neto and three of the above? i dunno, feels like MEW has hacked me this am!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
they never ever happen this way, but i’d happily take a player-weighted deal if it helped to pad the squad out. it goes against everything i believe in but if that’s what the managers wants…
£30m for Neto and three of the above? i dunno, feels like MEW has hacked me this am!
I think you can only have 2 players in a swap per deal not sure

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sorry but that's the kind of defeatist rubbish that makes my hackles rise. Neto's injury record makes him possibly expendable as long as we get a bare minimum £60m and ideally more. Ait-Nouri is an £80m + player who we need to keep for at least one or two more seasons. Cunha and Gomes likewise have huge upward potential.

What is so depressing is people idly talking about us selling the crown jewels and replacing them with the likes of dross like Che Adams. Why can't we aim high and at the least be a top 7 team? Villa have managed it this season thanks to a very good manager and some astute signings.

Such small time thinking here sometimes. Of course the big six have lots of dosh but they also waste a lot and both Man U and Chelsea for instance are there for the taking by ambitious clubs with astute transfer policies and good managers such as the one we possess.

Of course much depends on Fosun's investment attitude - O'Neil's excellence got them out of a hole of their own making this season. But why should he or our better players stay around if they sit on their hands this summer? The occasional big sale may be necessary but only for absolute top dollar with ALL the money used to strengthen the squad.

First step is ridding g ourselves of the Guedes and SIlva disasters this summer and taking the financial hit. Along with Podence that should be £25m in the kitty with us accepting the heavy losses that implies and at last moving on from that idiocy.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Sorry but that's the kind of defeatist rubbish that makes my hackles rise. Neto's injury record makes him possibly expendable as long as we get a bare minimum £60m and ideally more. Ait-Nouri is an £80m + player who we need to keep for at least one or two more seasons. Cunha and Gomes likewise have huge upward potential.

What is so depressing is people idly talking about us selling the crown jewels and replacing them with the likes of dross like Che Adams. Why can't we aim high and at the least be a top 7 team? Villa have managed it this season thanks to a very good manager and some astute signings.

Such small time thinking here sometimes. Of course the big six have lots of dosh but they also waste a lot and both Man U and Chelsea for instance are there for the taking by ambitious clubs with astute transfer policies and good managers such as the one we possess.

Of course much depends on Fosun's investment attitude - O'Neil's excellence got them out of a hole of their own making this season. But why should he or our better players stay around if they sit on their hands this summer? The occasional big sale may be necessary but only for absolute top dollar with ALL the money used to strengthen the squad.

First step is ridding g ourselves of the Guedes and SIlva disasters this summer and taking the financial hit. Along with Podence that should be £25m in the kitty with us accepting the heavy losses that implies and at last moving on from that idiocy.
I agree to a certain extent but nobody is going to pay in excess of 80m for RAN.
50m and he'd be gone for me,we can reshape the whole squad with that and the Guides,Silva and Podence money.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Can I check on something… I’m not sure whether you are literally saying you think we should sell six of our starting first XI this summer?
To respond to this and a couple of other posts, ripping the heart of of the team would be mad. I guess what I am saying is that some of these players are in that sweet spot where we would get a really good deal now but there is a likelhood that value could decline. It's a combination of them playing well in a team that's playing well.

Take Caicedo, if he'd have had the season he's having now with Brighton instead of Chelsea (possible) how much would he be worth this summer.

We can all agree we should have sold Traore after that second season, I really think Neto has to be sold he's at his peak now, Hwang could be another. Both suffer regular injuries and we can't afford to carry that in two very important players/positions.

On the other hand Gomes, could well be in demand and I think he's likely to continue to improve, so for me unless a ridiculous offer is made, he's should stay.

Cunha is a curious one, due to the significant fee we paid for him the profit margin won't be as high and therefore less attractive. I think he is also getting better and better and his personality is key to the team.

What I'm trying to say is that Hobbs should certainly be entertaining significant bids (every player has their price) but we should have a strong succession plan already worked through for the summer on every player.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To respond to this and a couple of other posts, ripping the heart of of the team would be mad. I guess what I am saying is that some of these players are in that sweet spot where we would get a really good deal now but there is a likelhood that value could decline. It's a combination of them playing well in a team that's playing well.

Take Caicedo, if he'd have had the season he's having now with Brighton instead of Chelsea (possible) how much would he be worth this summer.

We can all agree we should have sold Traore after that second season, I really think Neto has to be sold he's at his peak now, Hwang could be another. Both suffer regular injuries and we can't afford to carry that in two very important players/positions.

On the other hand Gomes, could well be in demand and I think he's likely to continue to improve, so for me unless a ridiculous offer is made, he's should stay.

Cunha is a curious one, due to the significant fee we paid for him the profit margin won't be as high and therefore less attractive. I think he is also getting better and better and his personality is key to the team.

What I'm trying to say is that Hobbs should certainly be entertaining significant bids (every player has their price) but we should have a strong succession plan already worked through for the summer on every player.
I generally agree but would note that your last para is easier said than actually done.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deli Ali free agent. Would you take a risk?
Unfortunately I’d say he’s unlikely to play football again. His mental health is far too fragile for it now, he’s clearly a troubled lad and should probably just retire, get all the help he needs and stay out the spotlight

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not if he paid us tbh,hes done at top level,damaged in so many ways
He making all the right noises for a comeback (I’m positive he truly believes it), unfortunately the mental demands on any player at that level are a lot but for him for where he was at one point as a player it’s even worse, for his own sake i don’t think it’s in his best interests to push himself mentally through it all. Such a shame as at one point at Spurs he looked genuinely world class to me

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cannot see us selling Gomes unless a crazy bid comes in
Neto and RAN very possibly but again needs strong bids for both
We need a CB LWB Striker possibly another forward/cmf too,more if Neto and RAN go
Thats a lot to bring in but needed with our lack of depth
They neednt all be quality players,but decent experienced players that wont mind being on the bench for long stints
Vital we get numbers for rotation and neednt cost the earth

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You arent keeping any players once the big boys are calling. Its not really being defeatist, its just the way it is.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You arent keeping any players once the big boys are calling. Its not really being defeatist, its just the way it is.
Exactly this for me. If the interest in City for RAN is true you can bet he’ll be onto his agent to make that happen, that’s just the way it is. He has the potential to be an elite player, they go to elite clubs. Christ Villa couldn’t keep hold of a local boy who’d supported them all his life and been there since a school boy. Dortmund are a massive club, they couldn’t keep Haaland or Bellingham.

Madmalc

Reaction score
It didn't. The losses are in the accounts submitted to companies house

Unless of course you think they're not official?
Why do mixers keep banging on about the accounts.
The interesting thing about Financial accounts is that they're a rear view mirror, just imagine trying to drive somewhere when the only view of the road you've got is from the rear view mirror. We can't change them post event and they shouldn't determine the future.

This season the resale values of some of our players have leapt massively (thanks to GON). Those gains are as yet unrealised, so aren't in the financial accounts.
The questions then become:
Whose value has peaked and should be moved on, if we get an acceptable offer and can get a replacement, for less cost or with more growth potential?
Whose value still has potential to climb higher, so should be kept?
Those questions get asked for each player and a valuation that may never appear in any financial accounts (unless a sale is made) is set.

I think Sa, Lemina, Dawson, Semedo, Docherty, Bentley, Neto and Hwang may have peaked this season, so are likely candidates to move on.
That leaves Toti Gomes, Kilman, João Gomes, T. Doyle, S. Bueno, H. Bueno, Cunha, RAN, and B. Traore as keepers, to improve their values.

It will be interesting to see what offers come in and what decisions will be made.

As to incoming, we'll be linked to every man and his dog as per usual.

It seems a brutal way to think about it, but I can't recall a long service testimonial for any player since Fosun took over.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What’s the point if every time we have good players we sell them? How do we ever progress?
We're not allowed to progress.

You buy some good players and develop them. Some go on to excel. To cover the cost of the original outlay of all the players, the one's that excel get sold to the elite European Teams so they can attempt to progress at their level, knowing they can spend whatever they want as they have legacy money from being in the European Elite when the rules were formed.

Meanwhile you can't spend what you want, even if your owners are richer than the European Elite owners, so to replace the players you lost you buy some good players and develop them. Some go on to excel....

Back
Top Bottom