Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 246 66.3%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whereas Kircaldy (Raith) is the land that time forgot. Truly awful.

Rangers fans’ not enthusiastic about Fab… Fabio Silva
4 pages of fans saying exactly what has been said here. If he can’t cut it playing in that league for a top team then I fear for his future anywhere, and it means a huge loss for us in money.
Main themes from their fans
Weak
Slow
No heart
Can’t score
Theatrical
Anonymous

We have seen all of the above.
Shame- nice kid but not a generational talent Jeff

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Have done this before, but just to say again on his book value.

Signed for £35m in Summer '20 over 5 years.
Written down at £7m a year for 2 years
So in 2022 he had a book value of £21m
Then signed an extension to '26
So written down at £5.25m for 2 years.
Book value this Summer £11m.

So if we keep him (and loan him out for wages only) we have to write down another £5.25m. We might then sell him for that much. So he's cost us £5.25m for this year but not next. If we sell him now for £5.25m he costs us £5.25m this year, but not next. So what's the difference.

Also we will have no PSR issues next year, it's only a question of to what degree Fosun want to subsidise the club (and also not getting ourselves in a position where we might struggle with the rules in 25/26).

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His psyche is not good now - I think he neds a move to southern Europe, where his talents will show a much better game than in Northern Europe, and that will make him a happier, more consistent player; then we can add a sell-on clause and make some money when he moves to bigger clubs in Southen Europe.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have done this before, but just to say again on his book value.

Signed for £35m in Summer '20 over 5 years.
Written down at £7m a year for 2 years
So in 2022 he had a book value of £21m
Then signed an extension to '26
So written down at £5.25m for 2 years.
Book value this Summer £11m.

So if we keep him (and loan him out for wages only) we have to write down another £5.25m. We might then sell him for that much. So he's cost us £5.25m for this year but not next. If we sell him now for £5.25m he costs us £5.25m this year, but not next. So what's the difference.

Also we will have no PSR issues next year, it's only a question of to what degree Fosun want to subsidise the club (and also not getting ourselves in a position where we might struggle with the rules in 25/26).
Personally I don't give a **** about him as a player; gave up on him a long time ago. All I'm interested in is the Club making the best out of him financially. In simple terms are we better off financially selling him this summer for whatever (not much?) OR loaning him out again in the hope his value increases in say 12 months?

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His psyche is not good now - I think he neds a move to southern Europe, where his talents will show a much better game than in Northern Europe, and that will make him a happier, more consistent player; then we can add a sell-on clause and make some money when he moves to bigger clubs in Southen Europe.
It’s over, the time to sell him for anything was in January. Fabio will end up going somewhere as a free transfer, maybe here in Toronto. We have the most Portuguese outside Portugal last I heard, enough to throw him into Lake Ontario and push his raft south toward the US.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's quite obvious Fosun don't want to subsidise the club and very understandable too.

We as fans shouldn't want them to subsidise the club, it's not sustainable.

Fosun however have shown they will subsidise the club in a pinch.

I for one don't ever want a repeat of our financial situation this season. Overspending on players and weakening our hand when negotiating deals for outgoing players is not the way to keep the club on a sound financial footing.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At this point I'm just morbidly curious what the final number for his sale will be.

4-6m with a 50% sell-on seems best case. Maybe a Spanish club bites. He's a total punt now imo.

C'mon Mendes. Pull some ****.

Incidentally: man, Chelsea are in trouble with Broja, huh? At least they didn't pay for him, but they need money for youth players, and that loan at Fulham has not been good.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wondering if part of the issue is that he has been mostly playing at a level higher than he is really at. His best spell was at Anderlecht, in the Belgian League. Every other league he's played in, he's struggled.

Possibly another aspect of the ridiculous fee. What he needed was to be playing at League 1 level at best for a few seasons, but that would have cast doubts on the fee. Because you can get League 1 level forwards at 17 - 20 for a lot less!! So he's been sent out playing at a level above that of which he is capable, in the hope that some magic will happen and that unique talent we were promised will finally shine through. It just hasn't happened yet.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just wondering if part of the issue is that he has been mostly playing at a level higher than he is really at. His best spell was at Anderlecht, in the Belgian League. Every other league he's played in, he's struggled.

Possibly another aspect of the ridiculous fee. What he needed was to be playing at League 1 level at best for a few seasons, but that would have cast doubts on the fee. Because you can get League 1 level forwards at 17 - 20 for a lot less!! So he's been sent out playing at a level above that of which he is capable, in the hope that some magic will happen and that unique talent we were promised will finally shine through. It just hasn't happened yet.
Let's send him to Wrexham next season. Great storyline for those guys.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
If he is not setting that league alight, then he won't make it in the Premier league. The likes of Boyd and Larrson have looked world class in Scotland and been average elsewhere. Our Oscar Wilde lookalike has flattered to deceive, but he hasn't got it. Any money we get fir him is better than paying his wages. Nice lad I'm sure, but not a proper premierleague striker
Henrik Larsson was a superb player and a consumate professional, who showed as much at Celtic (particularly in Europe), Barca, and at international level. Definitely the best player I've seen in Scotland in my lifetime - above Gazza, Laudrup, van Dyke, van Bronckhorst, Butcher etc. Well, second best behind Sergi Baltacha, who was an absolute Rolls Royce of a defender ...... ;)

Kris Boyd was an unprofessional, overweight, flat track, bully, who was happy eating monster munch and burgers whilst slagging off managers and scoring tap ins for rangers.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I said some time ago that he should go out on loan to a championship club. It’s a tough division, and I think Wolves would have had a better idea of his capabilities rather than sending him to Scotland.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I said some time ago that he should go out on loan to a championship club. It’s a tough division, and I think Wolves would have had a better idea of his capabilities rather than sending him to Scotland.
Is he good enough to hold down a starting position in the Championship?

It seems clear to me the answer is emphatically no, but I don't watch a ton of it. My feeling is a player needs to be pretty good to rise above the work rate of the less talented players in that league, and there is also some talent.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Either way, Guo needs to be in Mendes' ear about the Silva deal, looking for compensation in some form.
The remarkable Nunes to City deal was a start imo. A less favorable deal would have been brutal for Wolves, and he was leaving regardless.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The remarkable Nunes to City deal was a start imo. A less favorable deal would have been brutal for Wolves, and he was leaving regardless.
It was a start, but only a start. Our profit on Nunes doesn't compensate anything like the cost of the Silva debacle.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was a start, but only a start. Our profit on Nunes doesn't compensate anything like the cost of the Silva debacle.
Oh I didn't mean raw numbers. Getting all the money up front and getting Doyle in that deal was ridiculous. Without those two things, wolves are up a creek.

Arguably salvaged the season imo.

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
There were Championship clubs interested in Fabio in January but Fabio and his advisers thought the Championship was beneath them.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There were Championship clubs interested in Fabio in January but Fabio and his advisers thought the Championship was beneath them.

I dont get that at all the Championship is far more competetive than the SPL and apart from Celtic/Rangers there are bigger clubs than the SPL I'd much rather be playing against the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Norwich, Ipswich etc than the likes of Kilmarnock, Ross County and Hibs.

The standard of player is also much higher I couldn't see celtic or rangers beating Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton, Leicester if I'm honest.

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
I dont get that at all the Championship is far more competetive than the SPL and apart from Celtic/Rangers there are bigger clubs than the SPL I'd much rather be playing against the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Norwich, Ipswich etc than the likes of Kilmarnock, Ross County and Hibs.

The standard of player is also much higher I couldn't see celtic or rangers beating Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton, Leicester if I'm honest.
Agreed if you can't hack the Championship then you'll probably won't hack the PL.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agreed if you can't hack the Championship then you'll probably won't hack the PL.

I would say outside the big leagues such as the PL,Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 the championship is next best to those.

Most the other leagues such as Beligum, Holland etc tend to have one or two teams which dominate and the rest tend to be below championship standard.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
He doesnt look that good in Scotland so i think we already know the answer
They're completely different sorts of football, it seems. There's many players over the years who have been utterly useless up here, but have played regularly in the Championship, and even the EPL. There's even a few who have been talked about as possible signings on here, who were so crap in Scotland that the thought of them pulling on a Wolves shirt would give me the fear!

Having said that, I fully agree with you!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This pretty much sums up the situation.
Him (AND his ADVISORS) think he deserves better than he has proven he is worth.
Not going to comment on Silva. His main advisor is, l believe, his father.....

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ag

Agree, but the Belgian league is better than SPL. But SPL will be harder for him because of the physicality.
In fact he would struggle to get goals at a PowerLeague in Glasgow, I bet they are tough games!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully we can ship him off to Saudi Arabia, I think that’s our best case scenario. I can’t see anyone else paying £10m+ for him so he would end up back out on loan imo.

Back
Top Bottom