Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I may be in a minority but I hope that Man City blow a huge gaping hole through FFP. Its a farce that PGMOL have cost us more points this season than if we'd have ignored FFP and kept Neves, Nunes and spent big on a number 9 in the summer.

VAR and FFP are just stifling any remnant of competition left in our national game. Any business with legally sourced investment (e.g. not the proceeds of crime) should be able to put in what it wants to achieve its goals. Fosun should, for example be able to use its reserves to pump prime us whenever it feels it needs to.

The only thing we need to do is protect that investment from ever putting at risk the club's existence, for example in the event of any administration any loan by the owner becomes null and void. I know funding models aren't always that simple, but you get the gist.

I hope Man City expose it as a restraint of trade and we sack the whole thing off.
Not having this, that means only the rich can succeed, the complete opposite of how sport should be.

It should be a soft salary cap with royalty tax with a hard ceiling. Over that hard ceiling then it's points off.

Allows promoted clubs to spend and those with owners who want to put a bit more in at their own liability (not the club's) but not so much to skew the game completely.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, the ground..... holding my breath. The original point was about Bournemouth though, they did spend more than their income on player costs, but made a profit on their books from writing off money previously loaned by the owner, so if we're trying to work out their financial position can we see that as an actual profit for PSR?
I believe owners can write off loans (effectively then shown as income to the club) to a maximum amount for the purposes of FFP/PSR but i can't remember how much.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I believe owners can write off loans (effectively then shown as income to the club) to a maximum amount for the purposes of FFP/PSR but i can't remember how much.
Yes, I mean that's in the rules to the extent that clubs can only lose £15m over a 3 year period unless the owners underwrite losses up to £105m, I just don't see that making those loans and then writing them off would be seen as allowable in Bournemouth's case for example. They didn't really make a £40m profit, they made a £30m loss and write off a £70m loan.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I mean that's in the rules to the extent that clubs can only lose £15m over a 3 year period unless the owners underwrite losses up to £105m, I just don't see that making those loans and then writing them off would be seen as allowable in Bournemouth's case for example. They didn't really make a £40m profit, they made a £30m loss and write off a £70m loan.
Depends what the other relevant two years rolling profits/losses are i guess.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Not having this, that means only the rich can succeed, the complete opposite of how sport should be.

It should be a soft salary cap with royalty tax with a hard ceiling. Over that hard ceiling then it's points off.

Allows promoted clubs to spend and those with owners who want to put a bit more in at their own liability (not the club's) but not so much to skew the game completely.
That happens now anyway. I've said before that if there is anything that balances things out it would be taking restrictions off the smaller clubs, e.g. they are allowed to spend 150% of income whereas the top clubs are only allowed 50%, but the top clubs still have more spending power anyway.

All these rules do, no matter how you try to slice and dice them is make the rich richer.

Man City were effectively us, but then they got a massive cash injection and the broke into the elite, so did Chelsea, and so should Newcastle be allowed too, and us if we wanted to.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man City were effectively us, but then they got a massive cash injection and the broke into the elite, so did Chelsea, and so should Newcastle be allowed too, and us if we wanted to.
If everybody could break into the "Elite" then there would be no "Elite" and that cannot, possibly, be allowed to happen.

Signed:

The Elite Teams.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two consecutive breaches of FFP, over two three-year rolling periods, and that’s equalled 4 points for each season for Everton.

They didn’t just breach it by a slither either, they went WAY over the limit of £105m, even when you exclude the stadium investment.

I’m not sure this sets the precedent that the Premier League think it does…

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Everyone who works for the premier league should be in prison.

There is no point in taking this seriously. It's gone. Watch for nostalgia's sake and out of defiance for the next generation, but this isn't a serious enterprise. Half a step from pro-wrestling.

People like dick masters shouldn't be able to exist peacefully in public imo.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joke 'punishment'! I just don't understand why those clubs that complied or sold players (like us) to ensure we complied, don't raise merry hell. It appears that by not speaking out, they/we are complicit in the whole situation.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton deducted TWO points.
In the 1960s Peterborough were found guilty of financial irregularities they were docked enough points to put them at the foot of division four at the end of the season and had to seek re-election.

In the late 80s early 90s Swindon were found guilty of financial irregularities and despite winning the division two play offs, they weren’t allowed to take up their spot in top flight.

Now you get a slap on the wrist and a reach round.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Have they published how they can to this number? I mean it might be just what the die landed on this time I guess? Absolute joke, coach and horses through the spending rules and they deduct 2 points! Even then it would have relegated them last season, although that would have kept Leicester up and they were also busy breaking the rules. Just useless, the PL, the PGMOL, the entire game has become a farce.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, Everton got a 10 point deduction, reduced to 6 on appeal. Forest then found to have breached and got a 4 point deduction. Everton found to have breached a second time and got 2 points. If we wait long enough and then breach FFP/PSR; the Premier League will be adding points, so a great chance to win the league. :rolleyes: :(

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve had more points off this season with VAR calamities than these clowns have for ****ting all over the rules. Will probably reduce forests deduction on appeal too. Then Arsenal will sign Gyokeres for £100 million in the summer whilst we are trying to convince Che Adams to join.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What exactly is the point of ffp is these ridiculous point deductions are all the punishment dished out. Corrupt as ****
We’ve lost more points than FFP’s punishments put together due to dodgy VAR calls this season.

But, suppose Everton or Forest had overspent wisely and were pushing for the top 4, they’d have the book thrown at them.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing needs to be said, really. In some ways I find the whole thing hilarious and then I remember that we started the season in disarray, (not to mention the players we let go/sold in the summer) then carried on weakening the squad in January all to avoid, what, the slightest slap on the wrist?!

I’m hoping there is some kind of legal action that clubs in our position can take against the league because we’ve been set back by all this and the clubs who broke the rules have only gained.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we'd have kept our squad together with Gary at the helm we'd be in Europe now I've got no doubt about it, even with this nominal point deduction. ****ing sham.
We’d still have Lopetegui who would have had money to spend and a better squad to start with. All personal feelings aside on how he acted - we would be in Europe.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 points is no deterrent.

Everton are in line to fail ffp again next year. Can’t see this pitiful punishment making them get their books in order by selling half a dozen decent players.

The way their punishments have gone, they will be allowed to pass go, collect £200 and get a +5points head start next season…..

How are their punishments for persistent breaches getting smaller…… surely they should be getting larger!!!

Back
Top Bottom