Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Anyone else thinking sod it

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
it's not just VAR that's the issue the other real issue is the powers crushing ambition for any club who even thinks about crashing the top six, be it ffp or whatever it is now or VAR it's clear when you look back a few years everything is geared for the "sky six" , if a club who is outside top 6, Newcastle, wolves for example are purchased by people with serious money the prem league etc bring in or tweak the rules to stifle any chance of a "smaller club" doing a Blackburn or City again. it seems you need to be a sexy club to get anywhere in modern British football now and wolves aren't very sexy.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not just Wolves fans - supporters of ALL clubs, 'cos, lets face it practically every club has suffered from VAR at some point.

When one club suffers, the other celebrates. When added up, some supporters have had much more celebration than suffering. It took 3 seasons before Liverpool had a terrible VAR decision to complain about, when most others had several in the first season.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When one club suffers, the other celebrates. When added up, some supporters have had much more celebration than suffering. It took 3 seasons before Liverpool had a terrible VAR decision to complain about, when most others had several in the first season.
True, but if we seriously want VAR out of the game its no use football supporters being tribal about how much/little they've been impacted by it.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’ve genuinely never celebrated a VAR decision going in our favour. It feels so hollow. I remember the Forest penalty at home last season almost being annoyed it was given. You’re right though, the majority still do cheer it and fail to realise the damage they’re encouraging and justifying by doing so

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Yesterday wasn’t VAR, it was a bad decision by a person.

It shouldn’t have been checked thoroughly because Fabianski’s view wasn’t impeded and his ability to save it wasn’t impacted by Chirewa.

It’s a mistake from an individual. Again. Against us. Again.

This was actually a rare incident in that the VAR official did make the mistake. So I understand the anger towards it even if I think it’s misdirected.

Usually the on-field decision does us over.
I think this is the classic misunderstanding of the non-match going fan.
VAR doesn’t ruin the game if you enjoy football watching highlights on your phone or reading posts on a message board.
It ruins it for those of us who live for the spontaneous emotion of seeing live, unpredictable and (hopefully) unscripted moments of live sport.

BostinBilly

Reaction score
I'm thinking sod the referees.

The standard of officiating in matched is generally far below what PL clubs, who have millions invested in their teams, should expect. So I believe it's incumbent upon the PL and ultimately PL clubs to insist that only the highest standard of game officials should be permitted to officiate. I don't know what the tie up is, if any, between the PL and PMOGL, but it's time for those ties to be cut.
Referees should be scrutinised much more rigorously before being allowed to officiate in the PL and that means having only world class officials, drawn from a global selection process.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is the classic misunderstanding of the non-match going fan.
VAR doesn’t ruin the game if you enjoy football watching highlights on your phone or reading posts on a message board.
It ruins it for those of us who live for the spontaneous emotion of seeing live, unpredictable and (hopefully) unscripted moments of live sport.

I go.

It impacts certain moments, without doubt. But it has improved decisions.

You value spontaneity more and I value fairness more.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve genuinely never celebrated a VAR decision going in our favour. It feels so hollow. I remember the Forest penalty at home last season almost being annoyed it was given. You’re right though, the majority still do cheer it and fail to realise the damage they’re encouraging and justifying by doing so
I didn’t celebrate that goal

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question - if you knock a ST on the head, hiow easy is it to get tickets via membership? Maybe 6-8 games a season ideally?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question - if you knock a ST on the head, hiow easy is it to get tickets via membership? Maybe 6-8 games a season ideally?
More with cups & then if less renew more availability for tickets ??

Or people will watch the games via alternative methods…..

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly, some of the wisest words on this matter have come from our very own Jeff Shi …

“When a goal is scored and not one person inside the stadium questions the validity of that goal, including both sets of players, coaches, fans and even the match officials themselves, it’s time to question whether someone remote disallowing that goal is really what football wants or needs”.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly, some of the wisest words on this matter have come from our very own Jeff Shi …

“When a goal is scored and not one person inside the stadium questions the validity of that goal, including both sets of players, coaches, fans and even the match officials themselves, it’s time to question whether someone remote disallowing that goal is really what football wants or needs”.
Words ain’t going stop VAR. It’s made to keep the big clubs happy

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it before, more than once, but to me it remains the most obvious example of the cost of VAR.

If there was a vote on the most dramatic and memorable moment in Premier League history, the moment to sell the competition and football itself to any audience, it would be the Man City v QPR last minute title-winning Aguerrrrrrrroooooo goal. If VAR had been in place then, that moment in its purest form - the explosion, the celebration, the crowd, the commentary, every single ingredient - would not exist.

How blind does an organisation have to be to implement a system designed to potentially rob itself of its own most essential element?

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've said it before, more than once, but to me it remains the most obvious example of the cost of VAR.

If there was a vote on the most dramatic and memorable moment in Premier League history, the moment to sell the competition and football itself to any audience, it would be the Man City v QPR last minute title-winning Aguerrrrrrrroooooo goal. If VAR had been in place then, that moment in its purest form - the explosion, the celebration, the crowd, the commentary, every single ingredient - would not exist.

How blind does an organisation have to be to implement a system designed to potentially rob itself of its own most essential element?
But we will never know if his toe nail was offside or there was a hand ball in the build up or if there was a possible infringement on the halfway line will we

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I’m a member I have been to every home game except spurs this season

JaseWWFC

Reaction score
Im sure they offer you a membership plus aswell so you get a priority window to get tickets two days before members do.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the next TV deal kicks in, it will be only 3pm games that won’t be on UK TV, the Bournemouth and Fulham games

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched this Man City player today on tv sitting on the subs bench non stop spitting on the artificial grass in front of him

It was probably their goalkeeper, Ederson, who was picking his nose and then spitting from the subs bench.
That set me thinking.

The worst Wolves player for spitting?

Dick Le Flem.

(one for the ancients amongst us ;) )

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Who hasn't jumped up & down & hugged a large sweaty total stranger as a match winning shot enters the net in a crucial game? Presumably now you just feel dirty, dust yourself down & sheepishly apologise as VAR intervenes. Do we even need the actual match anymore? It's clearly all an inconvenience for the PGMOL. Appoint the ref & ask him the score. They're prepared to affect the league by taking points off teams for off-field non-footballing matters (with an inconsistent & inexplicable tariff) so why not just give us a point back for yesterday & dock two off West Ham?

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there was no VAR wouldn't the next thing be the officials are not good enough abd we need ex players as officials . As the current bunch miss so many things like penalties , elbows , dives .

I am not saying anyway is correct but surely there has been more correct decisions overall the past 12 months rather than say 6 years ago . Not saying it is perfect but surely the major obvious issues are less frequent ?.

End of the day you are relying on Humans to still judge if a decision is correct . Unfortunately we make mistakes and that will never change .

Just wait till AI is used in a few seasons
Good post.
People hate VAR but it’s just another official. So much errors in reffing before VAR came along.
I wish they’d improve how it’s used though.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Mines a simple opinion, VAR was brought in to stop injustices like the lampard goal for England or the Henry handball against Ireland, it’s doing nothing of the sort, all its doing is finding the minutest detail to disallow goals, and foat reason it needs binning.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I gave up back in 2002. I saw what the game was about and walked away from financing it. I don't have a television, let alone SKY or BT.

Football is just another thing, like watching a documentary on YouTube or a film. I enjoy forums and radio, watch alongs etc and have a rich history of going to Wolves games all over the country - around 800 games and 82 grounds over 30 years.

I could talk football all day but the passion died in 2002. It's occasionally revived for certain games at certain times (like West Brom) but that's just my inner child being stirred because of previous memories associated with the present day.

I dined out on that 2-0 for a month but when I REALLY thought about it, it was just a chasing after the wind.

I just don't really care when we lose. A quarter century ago my week would be ruined. I think that VAR is throwing a lot more people over the edge and I suspect a growing number of people are going to walk away.

Yes, they'll be replaced by a generation who know no different and football will go on. Wolves will go on.

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I go.

It impacts certain moments, without doubt. But it has improved decisions.

You value spontaneity more and I value fairness more.

Good post.
People hate VAR but it’s just another official. So much errors in reffing before VAR came along.
I wish they’d improve how it’s used though.
Looking for perfection in an imperfect world is for children.

I do understand for non-attenders like you two it seems trivial for us to complain about VAR when to you it has increased decision accuracy by 1.3% which must be a positive.

VAR diminishes that which makes football beautiful.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Van Persie's volley against Villa to seal Ferguson's final title - VAR rules that out for offside now

Vardy's record equaling goal against Newcastle for scoring in 10 consecutive games - VAR rules out for offside

Tony Adams 'CAN YOU BELIEVE IT' title sealing epic moment in 1998 - Wow it's bloody close to offside. I can't call it.

We lose so much because of it and gain so little. For as much as I utterly despise it in every way, so much of the problem with it is offside. But it's a problem that cannot be fixed.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking for perfection in an imperfect world is for children.

I do understand for non-attenders like you two it seems trivial for us to complain about VAR when to you it has increased decision accuracy by 1.3% which must be a positive.

VAR diminishes that which makes football beautiful.
I certainly never said or implied that it’s trivial for anyone to complain about VAR.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We just need a much stronger squad next season then maybe we can keep a lead.
We tried that last season, ran into the same crap as this season, and then were treated to the FFP Olympics in the offseason.

As others have said ... it's a closed shop, we're always the ones on the outside looking in, it's not gonna change anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom