Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The BBC are saying this week rather than today....
Yes, I've seen 'could be as soon as Monday' which I think just comes from it being this week. After years of believing clubs should have points deductions though I'm almost at the point of saying, sod it, it's making such a farce of the league I'd rather they just used fines (even though that's farscical too). The idea of points deductions after the league finishes is just beyond ridiculous.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen 'could be as soon as Monday' which I think just comes from it being this week. After years of believing clubs should have points deductions though I'm almost at the point of saying, sod it, it's making such a farce of the league I'd rather they just used fines (even though that's farscical too). The idea of points deductions after the league finishes is just beyond ridiculous.
It is an absolute farce and impacts so many others like Luton Burnley etc
Also a farce that Leicester can be promoted and then have points deduction in the premier league rather than in the championship

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Immediate big fines which cause you to fail FSP this season too....

Could be a bloody good income stream lol....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is an absolute farce and impacts so many others like Luton Burnley etc
Also a farce that Leicester can be promoted and then have points deduction in the premier league rather than in the championship
Leicester could well have a points deduction whatever league they are in. They've been charged with breaking PL FFP in their last PL season and seem set to break EFL FFP this season....

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Forest fans seem to think they'll get 4 points deducted.
Yes, the two Reds lads I have a pint with most Saturdays have got the idea that 4points is the likely penalty. I can't find anywhere the reason for such optimism and nor can they!
However, if only for Nuno's sake I hope the 4point forecast is right.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presumably they've reduced it by a third (from Everton's 6) due to them only spending two thirds of the time period in the PL.

At least that's the only logic I can work out.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Jeff is following all of this. We could have signed a £50m ready made striker in January. Or even a couple of £30m strikers.

Loss: 6 points tops
Gain: Cup semi final at Wembley and four or five places higher in the finishing table, which would be worth £9m to £11m in prize money.

As long as Cunha, Neto and Hwang are out - even any two - I can't see us going anywhere but down the table.

The precedent has been set and if Wolves really are ambitious beyond treading water (which I don't think the club is) we should sign whoever we fancy.

Keep Cunha, replace Hwang, Kilman and Neto, blow £250m on two strikers and two centre backs. With our midfield we'll push for top six even with a 6 point deduction.

Tell you what - Newcastle might as well blow a billion and win everything.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Jeff is following all of this. We could have signed a £50m ready made striker in January. Or even a couple of £30m strikers.

Loss: 6 points tops
Gain: Cup semi final at Wembley and four or five places higher in the finishing table, which would be worth £9m to £11m in prize money.

As long as Cunha, Neto and Hwang are out - even any two - I can't see us going anywhere but down the table.

The precedent has been set and if Wolves really are ambitious beyond treading water (which I don't think the club is) we should sign whoever we fancy.

Keep Cunha, replace Hwang, Kilman and Neto, blow £250m on two strikers and two centre backs. With our midfield we'll push for top six even with a 6 point deduction.

Tell you what - Newcastle might as well blow a billion and win everything.
Re your last para perhaps domestically but UEFA would doubtless come down hard in Europe.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now, I don’t agree with the rules themselves but that punishment hardly acts as a deterrent for clubs to break them.
This deduction and Everton's will only tempt clubs to stick two fingers up going forward. In their first four transfer windows in this league, Forest have had a net spend a good £50m higher than ours in the equivalent time (when we were fielding all manner of baseless accusations over our spending). For that, they get docked the equivalent of a loss and a draw, while we're forcing a kid who should be out on loan in League One to plough a lonely furrow up front.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So they were allowed 60m and spent 90.

So they broke the rules by 50% of their allowance.

Thats is the equivalent of us spending 155m not 105 over 3 seasons.

Thats a massive amount when you consider the fees are spread over the length of players contracts up to 5 years. Potentially a number of 20 million pound players - for the sake of 4 points

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They also shouldn’t be allowed to appeal. Treated leniently as they admitted it straight away. How can you appeal on that basis ? Like committing a serious crime , admitting it to get minimal sentence and then appeal again on top.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
They also shouldn’t be allowed to appeal. Treated leniently as they admitted it straight away. How can you appeal on that basis ? Like committing a serious crime , admitting it to get minimal sentence and then appeal again on top.
Think they have to be allowed the right of appeal or the lawyers will just be even more all over it and it'll end up at CAS. What grounds they have for appeal though I can't see.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your last para perhaps domestically but UEFA would doubtless come down hard in Europe.
Forgot about them clowns. Only those with half billion pound turnovers can do as they wilt.

PSG
Citeh
United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal?
Spurs?
Real Madrid

Newcastle are still a tiny club outside Newcastle.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know what Everton's 2nd overspend is but now they surely can work out the worst points deduction it can be?

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know what Everton's 2nd overspend is but now they surely can work out the worst points deduction it can be?
I don’t know either - seeing as they seem to try to be very ‘creative’ with allowable deductions.
That’s why their initial points deduction was so high at 10 points - the panel felt they took the ****.

However if you read the appeal decision and the Forest decision - the starting point is 3 points for failing PSR plus whatever the panel feels appropriate depending on the level of overspend.

Given they have been taking the ****, I’d expect at least another 3 points on top (so at least 6 in total) and then it just depends on if the get a reduction (same as Forest) for mitigation - but in my untrained mind it’s sort of difficult to argue ‘mitigation’ when you have been charged in successive seasons.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know either - seeing as they seem to try to be very ‘creative’ with allowable deductions.
That’s why their initial points deduction was so high at 10 points - the panel felt they took the ****.

However if you read the appeal decision and the Forest decision - the starting point is 3 points for failing PSR plus whatever the panel feels appropriate depending on the level of overspend.

Given they have been taking the ****, I’d expect at least another 3 points on top (so at least 6 in total) and then it just depends on if the get a reduction (same as Forest) for mitigation - but in my untrained mind it’s sort of difficult to argue ‘mitigation’ when you have been charged in successive seasons.
You're trying to add some reason and sense to this when the whole thing to me just seems a load of *******s.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May as well not sell anyone this summer then and wait for bigger offers the year after our very own “mitigating circumstances” while we are at it let’s break the bank and have 6 points taken off us

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It gets worse, they really are a pathetic bunch of clowns.
Not really a punishment. Transfer embargo for 5 windows would of been better. Therefore stopping them overspending again.

Points deducted can’t be different for each club?? Surely it has to be the same amount. Makes no sense at all

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I hear or read another Everton supporter explain the losses were due to the stadium ! Its like an urban myth has gathered pace and now become fact .
Repeated again this morning on Talksport and told its not true.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton considering legal action over the Forest 4 point penalty.
While Everton have conducted themselves poorly over this whole FFP scenario, I actually don't blame them. Their lawyers, with some validity, would be able to argue there is no sense of proportionality. Forest nearly doubled Everton's breach, but were docked 6 fewer points in the first instance... because being (faux) contrite about it apparently is a more substantial consideration punishment-wise than the severity of the crime itself.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s see what Man City get for their 109 breaches then.

It’s a farce and a crock. Each player should have an independent valuation and each squad a maximum value. At any one time you can only have under the max value on the pitch. But it won’t happen because the big 6 design the league to suit their own nests.

I think psr will be scrapped this summer.

Well done wolves for staying within ffp but I don’t think for a minute that wasn’t a bit of an excuse to help save money given the issues for Chinese owners over the last couple of years.

The fact we have come out ok is as much by luck as judgement. Let’s hope for another season like this next year

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps an IPL style auction every pre season instead of a transfer window for players deemed elite with every club allowed to field 3 maximum on the pitch?

I don’t know it’s all about money and it shouldn’t be

Back
Top Bottom