Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 244 66.1%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.4%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Opta Power Rankings suggest the Championship is considerably better than the SPL. In fact, they don't even have the SPL in the top 30 leagues in the world....

Opta Power Rankings: Top Leagues (September 2023)

1 English Premier League 87.66
2 German Bundesliga 84.04
3 Italian Serie A 83.46
4 Spanish La Liga 83.43
5 French Ligue 1 81.41
6 English Championship 78.58
7 Dutch Eredivisie 77.24
8 Portuguese Primeira Liga 77.20
9 Belgian Pro League 77.19
10 Brazilian Serie A 76.43
11 Swiss Super League 75.72
12 Turkish Super Lig 75.65
13 Russian Premier Liga 75.08
14 Danish Superliga 75.00
15 MLS 74.77
16 Austrian Bundesliga 74.76
17 Spanish La Liga 2 74.42
18 Polish Ekstraklasa 73.88
19 Argentine Liga Prodessional 73.66
20 German 2. Bundesliga 73.62
21 Croatian HNL 73.45
22 Mexican Liga MX 73.20
23 Cypriot First Division 72.47
24 Swedish Allsvenskan 72.30
25 Japanese J1 League 72.16
26 South Korean K League 1 72.09
27 Saudi Pro League 71.94
28 Israeli Premier League 71.56
29 Romanian Liga I 71.40
30 Norwegian Eliteserien 71.33

Also, this Rangers team doesn't get promoted from the Championship. It's bang average and made up of mid-tier Champ players and other castaways.

View attachment 41103

But what are those rankings based on is what i would like to know? Year on year prem clubs sign Portuguese players and they very often shine in the prem. Year on year three clubs win promotion from the championship and nore often than not they are terrible. But the championship is apparently better than the Portuguese league. Those rankings are a farce.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the MLS is marginally worse than several decent euro leagues and better than the Argentine league where a plethora of european clubs sign stars from each year. How often do they sign stars from the MLS? Yeah alright :tearsofjoy:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio Silva is wasting Wolves and his own time at Rangers..
They won't even buy him for £5 million according to this report..
Pointless loan really.

Just need to get whatever we can for him in the summer and move on. The biggest lesson learnt from this debacle is that Jeff Shi knows even less about football than most of us thought and finances aside, should have zero input into any future transfer activity. Fortunately, it appears we have finally learnt that lesson with Hobbs fully taking the lead.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fabio Silva is wasting Wolves and his own time at Rangers..
They won't even buy him for £5 million according to this report..
Yeah, they have no money. The point is he looks good against Benfica and then someone from France or Germany decided to take a punt on his potential at a price around book.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But what are those rankings based on is what i would like to know? Year on year prem clubs sign Portuguese players and they very often shine in the prem. Year on year three clubs win promotion from the championship and nore often than not they are terrible. But the championship is apparently better than the Portuguese league. Those rankings are a farce.
Simplistic way of looking at it. The top brass in Portugal are obviously very good, but go outside of the top few clubs and the dropoff is huge, both in terms of club size, resources and therefore, quality of players.

Champ is a better league when taken in its entirety.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t blame him. It’s guaranteed European football every season and most likely Champions League next season
But, Rangers only play against farmers and part-time posties…!
He went to Anderlecht, scored. Went to PSV, scored and even held his nerve to score the last penalty in a shootout and won them the Dutch Cup. Can you even imagine that pressure???
After that, nearly everyone wanted Fabio to go to a league where he had to be tougher than in the average European League. Well, the Scottish Premier may lack quality but as far as not being able to hide, it’s unforgiving. Yet now he’s there and scoring AND scoring in the Europa League, it’s ****. Had Nathan Fraser got a loan to Rangers or Celtic, you’d all bar a few keyboard warriors, be saying it’s a good move.
What this boils down to and the only reason I can fathom, is the high transfer fee and now his wages. So, jealousy, envy and resentment. Its pathetic.
If we had any other 21 year old out on loan getting the numbers he’s getting, we’d be ****ing our pants over their potential.
Ffs, he’s won more silverware than we have…

Bradstonian

Reaction score
If Rangers go on to take the title from Celtic, and perhaps win a cup too, with major contributions from Fabio, his stock will certainly be high - and who knows, maybe that will enable him to kick-on and start showing more of the potential we bought him for. Too early to "write him off".

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a big issue with Silva, and it's nothing to do with Silva, in fact it's nothing to do with anything, but people just love a pile on and Dan Emery, the writer of this nonsense, should be ashamed

I started reading that 'article' earlier but wanted to end my life after about 5 minutes of reading smelly guff so thought I'd better stop.

I think I could insert a pencil in my jap's eye and swing it against the keys of my keyboard for an hour and write something better.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He went to Anderlecht, scored. Went to PSV, scored and even held his nerve to score the last penalty in a shootout and won them the Dutch Cup. Can you even imagine that pressure???
After that, nearly everyone wanted Fabio to go to a league where he had to be tougher than in the average European League. Well, the Scottish Premier may lack quality but as far as not being able to hide, it’s unforgiving. Yet now he’s there and scoring AND scoring in the Europa League, it’s ****. Had Nathan Fraser got a loan to Rangers or Celtic, you’d all bar a few keyboard warriors, be saying it’s a good move.
What this boils down to and the only reason I can fathom, is the high transfer fee and now his wages. So, jealousy, envy and resentment. Its pathetic.
If we had any other 21 year old out on loan getting the numbers he’s getting, we’d be ****ing our pants over their potential.
Yes, people are just jealous of Fabio. That's why they are so frustrated with his performances for the team. :rolleyes:

kinyo298

Reaction score
If Rangers go on to take the title from Celtic, and perhaps win a cup too, with major contributions from Fabio, his stock will certainly be high - and who knows, maybe that will enable him to kick-on and start showing more of the potential we bought him for. Too early to "write him off".
Many others and myself wrote him off many moons ago.Hopeless, and ive never seen any improvement.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Done a little digging and asking around to try and finally banish the nonsense rumours regarding Fabio's wages. Internet has him ranging from £40k to nearly £100k per week, and people (not necessarily Wolves fans) repeatedly use the high end wage figures to criticise him.

Unverified, but I believe the contract he signed when he joined was as follows:

Basic weekly wage £37k
Wage if he makes an appearance in that week £42k
Wage if he scores in that week £47k

He subsequently received a £3k per week increase to his basic, bringing that to £40k but I don't know what changed, if anything, with the bonus payments. Also unsure how those bonus payments work when he is out on loan.
Didn’t trouble the scoring bonus too much for us .

I jest. I wish him well but I just can’t see the areas of his game improving sufficiently to be a starter for our style of play . We were pilloried gor not being all over Eduard at Celtic when he went to palace. He looked prime Ronaldo at times scoring for fun in Scotland. Apart from scoring against us he has done nought too justify such hype . He may be a different type of player to Fabio granted, but he looks very ordinary in the premier league. That’s where I see Fabio too

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, people are just jealous of Fabio. That's why they are so frustrated with his performances for the team. :rolleyes:
I think you’re convoluting frustration, which I feel about his performances, and the bile, disrespect and nastiness that’s stinking out this thread.
However, you obviously think you’re quite clever, what with your intellectually superior sarcasm so I’ll let you have your win.

MODs are no fun! :pensive:

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Simplistic way of looking at it. The top brass in Portugal are obviously very good, but go outside of the top few clubs and the dropoff is huge, both in terms of club size, resources and therefore, quality of players.

Champ is a better league when taken in its entirety.

Precisely.

Portugal has slightly more depth than the duopoly of Scottish football but only by 2-3 more teams. The rest is League 1 sort of stuff

IMG_2027.jpeg

Last edited:

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To put it into context Rangers record signing is only £12’m, and that was 23 years ago! We may get an £8m offer if we get very very lucky

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been posted before now but before chucking away a 35+million investment the club should take this seriously. So far Fabio is being judged on what he is not and not on what he could be. The lad is still only very young and we have had too many players leave and find that it comes back to bite us. I wish the club would take a fresh approach starting with looking at the below link.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been posted before now but before chucking away a 35+million investment the club should take this seriously. So far Fabio is being judged on what he is not and not on what he could be. The lad is still only very young and we have had too many players leave and find that it comes back to bite us. I wish the club would take a fresh approach starting with looking at the below link.

Perhaps we should have a vote.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his time here is just at its end. There are a section of fans who wont give him any leeway because of the fee and will always be on his back. Too much water under the bridge between him and us, its just not going to work sadly. We need to sell him.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think his time here is just at its end. There are a section of fans who wont give him any leeway because of the fee and will always be on his back. Too much water under the bridge between him and us, its just not going to work sadly. We need to sell him.
Wolves fans would be universally thrilled if Silva came back from this loan and looked like a useful Premier League player.

The questions are what that would look like iif it did happen and will it happen.

I think questions about the fans' backing etc are beside the point.

One performance in a wolves shirt where fans say "you know, I think Silva looked pretty good there" would swing the tide.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'd say that Wolves fans overwhelmingly think he'll never be good enough, but if he did come back and do well we'd be overwhelmingly behind him and shortly after overwhelming numbers would say they never doubted him and knew he'd come good all along. (See GON).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say that Wolves fans overwhelmingly think he'll never be good enough, but if he did come back and do well we'd be overwhelmingly behind him and shortly after overwhelming numbers would say they never doubted him and knew he'd come good all along. (See GON).
What's even worse is that if he goes elsewhere, does well then successfully comes back to the PL those same folk who want him binned off now will moan that he was never given a proper chance....

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves fans would be universally thrilled if Silva came back from this loan and looked like a useful Premier League player.

The questions are what that would look like iif it did happen and will it happen.

I think questions about the fans' backing etc are beside the point.

One performance in a wolves shirt where fans say "you know, I think Silva looked pretty good there" would swing the tide.

I personally dont think he has ever got the full backing from the fans, and thats mainly because of the fee. Some fans cant get past he cost 35 million and didnt hit the ground running as an 18 year old.

For me, i dont think he's ever played in a confident, well performing side. Even this season, he was either playing while we were still struggling, or he was coming on out of position like in the Citeh game.

As i said before though, i think he has burned his bridges in many ways ( not sure if thats the right way to put it ). I dont think GON wants to use him, and i think he just needs a fresh start away from Wolves and the big fee he cost.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A load of nonsense.

What it boils down to is that his signing stalled our progress at a critical time in our history, just as we were becoming established as a top 7-8 side, we suddenly went for this ridiculous signing and it cost us dear and we are still recovering now.

It is completely irrelevant at this stage whether he comes good or not, the damage has already been done.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was breaking records in youth football and people expected him to be the next huge talent out of Portugal. Wolves going for him was a good move, but we massively overpaid given there's no guarantees that a player will continue to improve through the age groups. Those years from 16-21 some players just seem to stall while others do the opposite and turn out better than they looked at youth level. No club (to my knowledge) has really worked out the formula yet for telling which side a player will fall until it happens.

Wolves took a punt and it failed. If you're a rich club you can take the risk and eat the costs if it doesn't work out, knowing the one player who does come good will more than make up for it (see Man City and Chelsea buying up every decent youth prospect), Wolves just didn't have the income to gamble like that.

Didn't help that we had to use him after Raul's injury when he clearly wasn't anywhere near ready.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A load of nonsense.

What it boils down to is that his signing stalled our progress at a critical time in our history, just as we were becoming established as a top 7-8 side, we suddenly went for this ridiculous signing and it cost us dear and we are still recovering now.

It is completely irrelevant at this stage whether he comes good or not, the damage has already been done.

Blaming a player for management decisions. Okay then…shall I put you down in the ‘resentment’ column? :tearsofjoy:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Put me down where you want, it doesn't change the fact Fabio's signing was and always will have been an absolute disaster.
Why won't you just admit you resent how much money Fabio is making????????????????

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
OK this going down a pointless path stick to the football aspect please

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why won't you just admit you resent how much money Fabio is making????????????????

:tearsofjoy: I honestly couldn't care less what Fabio makes. I barely work any more in my late 40s, money isn't a driving factor for me.

Last edited:

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Again, I don’t know why this negative attitude toward Fabio is warranted. It’s not like he has a terrible attitude and has a poor work ethic. In other words, he’s no Guedes. I’m rooting for him to regain his confidence and keep improving—whether or not he is in Gary’s current plans. His success on loan will either help him make the playing rotation next year or it will help us with a small profit if we move him on. Win, win.

As far as the club goes, it is turning out to be a mistake to bring in Fabio for that price…gamble backfired. But, it’s all hindsight BS as acquiring (young) players is not an exact science. And let’s not exaggerate—it wasn’t a disaster—poor, maybe, but not disastrous.

Football is littered with poor transfers and failed prodigies. Anyway, come on Fabio! Keep knocking them in!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio is a huge confidence player same as Podence, Guedes when they are up against it you can tell. Which is why we should do more to support players. Myself included

It can be frustrating sometimes but we must look at the bigger picture and players welfare more so these days.

It feels like the ship has sailed for them in the old gold but wish them every bit of luck with the next move. Sad really because they are all capable on their day.

Back
Top Bottom