Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Super League

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It wont be happening because the new champions league format is the ESL by stealth anyway. It will continue to be expanded, increment by increment add in the new FIFA club world cup from 2025, which will more than likely have the same top teams and it will preserve the top of the game just fine without need for esl

loppers86

Reaction score
Interesting who is funding it. If it's the Saudis how long before they want their top teams involved.
if it’s the saudi’s (which it almost certainly is), then a lot of these teams who have publicly come out to say they won’t be involved will be changing their mind when they see the money involved. There will be some kind of ‘domino strategy’ in place and the key clubs will be getting big incentives.

it’s also pretty likely that Saudi clubs will be part of the ESL.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if it will proceed if ALL the Prem clubs said they will not take part? What's the point of a European football tournament if clubs from the best league are not represented?
Likewise domestically whats the point in having a Premiership and being Champions when team from your country that we all know are bigger better and stronger are playing in a European league.
Champions of England would no longer be a true picture .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are so many vested interests outside the Super League crew.
If that Super League turns in to a hybrid Harlem Globetrotters entertainment industry, I can’t see fans or players engaging.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
There are so many vested interests outside the Super League crew.
If that Super League turns in to a hybrid Harlem Globetrotters entertainment industry, I can’t see fans or players engaging.
Even if only a small percentage of football fans from around the world buy into it the revenue generated could be enormous. That’s probably what they are banking on.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if it’s the saudi’s (which it almost certainly is), then a lot of these teams who have publicly come out to say they won’t be involved will be changing their mind when they see the money involved. There will be some kind of ‘domino strategy’ in place and the key clubs will be getting big incentives.

it’s also pretty likely that Saudi clubs will be part of the ESL.

If it is Saudi money behind it, then it is almost certain that Newcastle United will be expected to join the ESL.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if only a small percentage of football fans from around the world buy into it the revenue generated could be enormous. That’s probably what they are banking on.
Yes . My hope is there will be coexistence.
There never seems to be an end to the resources football eats up.

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
Personally I think the best thing that could happen is they all go off, get their Super League fix and never return.

Everyone will get bored of watching Bayern v Spurs for the 7th time that season at 4pm on a Thursday in another manufactured competition.

Many fans of the teams that do join the Super League will become disenfranchised and end up "following" domestic teams so they can actually attend the games.

Let the greed kill them...............join up with Saudi for their version of the "39th game".

I'm sure the teams left will agree that a better chance at winning something, more competitive leave will be better for all. We don't care about owners pockets, we care about true competition and romance of actually winning something.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely any team that joins will be booted from uefa meaning they can’t play in domestic leagues and players wouldn’t be eligible for national teams?

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Can't see it happening just yet but I'm convinced the top 5 leagues will restructure in a way that this can get off the ground in 5 or so years.

Prem will likely be reduced to 18 teams and league cup scrapped. A premier league cup for the 12 or so sides not in the super league for loss of games and a route into it would probably get enough votes.

Way too much money in offer for this not to happen, they will find a way eventually

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see it happening just yet but I'm convinced the top 5 leagues will restructure in a way that this can get off the ground in 5 or so years.

Prem will likely be reduced to 18 teams and league cup scrapped. A premier league cup for the 12 or so sides not in the super league for loss of games and a route into it would probably get enough votes.

Way too much money in offer for this not to happen, they will find a way eventually
Possibly. However the current situation gives the top PL teams significant leverage. They may well want their rivals to suffer some (there are rumblings of Barca being in more FFP trouble for example) and indeed want some advantage in exchange for helping them.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barcelona still pushing this ridiculous idea…

Clubs that Barca claimed were joining have come out and said they’re not. There’s also no teams from England, Germany or France. It’s going to be Barca vs Real every week at this rate.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is inevitable this type of League will happen, with the increase in American owners over the last few years and saudi buying everything they can id expect they'll look at something jointly,

Americans don't have the same loyalty to teams like we do, a "franchise" can be moved to citys the other side of the country and still attract new fans in the area, British clubs are rooted to the area they are formed and are the identity of the area.

a high percentage of Wolves fan base would've been born/grew up or have ancestral connections to the Midlands, Stafford, shropshire or near by areas but it cannot be said for the likes of United/Liverpool/Chelsea most of the fans they have are international/never go to any games.

I would love to know the Saudi viewing figures for there super league type competition, despite having the likes of Ronaldo, Benezema and other big name players the attendances are shocking I bet the viewing figures are aswell.

I don't think it will work but I expect something to happen with it in the future but maybe as a replacement for champions league.
Yes but, Americans are REALLY STUPID. 4 in 10 believe the world was created 10,000 years ago, 81 million of them voted for Donald Trump, and a large proportion of those think owning guns makes them safer. Even our 6 fingers friends in Sandwell are not that stupid.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but, Americans are REALLY STUPID. 4 in 10 believe the world was created 10,000 years ago, 81 million of them voted for Donald Trump, and a large proportion of those think owning guns makes them safer. Even our 6 fingers friends in Sandwell are not that stupid.

Ah, come on now, that last point is stretching it.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
It's going to happen 1 way or another eventually. Premier league will be reduced in size and a top 8 or 10 will be playing in it every year continually getting stronger.

No good for lower league sides but I'm glad we're at the top table now because it will be nigh on impossible to break through when this happens for English sides the finances will be huge

Back
Top Bottom