Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see my name is being taken in vain! Do I think we have had 100 better players than Cunha since Billy Wright? Well Cunha has only played 30 or so games, so how can you compare him with players who racked up 2 or 3 hundred? Off the top of my head since I have been watching, I would class as "great forwards" the following: Peter Broadbent (the greatest by a mile), Jimmy Murray, Norman Deeley, Jimmy Mullen, Peter Knowles, Derek Dougan, John Richards, Dave Wagstaffe, Ray Crawford, Bobby Gould, Frank Wignall, Hugh McIlmoyle, Kenny Hibbitt, Jim McCalliog, Willy Carr, Steve Bull. Quite a few others who were fantastic players but for one reason or another didn't stay long, such as Harry Hopper, who was our top scorer with 19 goals from the right wing in 1956-7, played all 42 games, but Cullis sold him because he misbehaved on a tour to S. Africa, and the great Ted Farmer, 44 goals in 57 top tier games and had his career ended by injury at 24. Players like Dennis Wilshaw, Roy Swinbourne, Jessie Pye, Dickie Dorsett, Jimmy Dunne were before my time, but my Dad used to rave about them. Most of the above played hundreds of games in the Old Gold, as strikers, inside forwards or wingers, and I would think of all of them as 'great players' in their eras...not forgetting Andy Gray, Steve Daley, Bobby Mason, Des Horne...
Now how could you leave out Steve Claridge?:eek::D

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing I was going to get at, where people seem to get the argument mixed up and compare one player's outright ability with what someone else has done for the club

There's a difference between being a Wolves great and being one of the best footballers to ever represent the club. Cunha isn't the former (though he may go on to be if he sticks around), but there's a good argument he's the latter
Exactly, a totally different argument.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way he’s bouncing around at final whistle there doesn’t look like too much wrong with his hammy
Yeah i saw that too
Ive heard he wants to get back to full training but Wolves medical team are being cautious and holding him back
He will definitely be ready to go after the international break,who knows maybe even Coventry,but i dont blame them being cautious

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Would be great to have him back for the match of course, but as others have said, we should not and probably won't rush him back. He's a top player and we don't want to aggravate any issues he may have.

Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
the nice thing about being ahead of expectations is that sensible decisions can be made. Only come back when fully fit, not we are desperate to a) Get in to Europe b) Win a cup to save a manager c) Avoid relegation

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only just seen Keen's post. I'd want him 100% match fit in readiness for the semi final but 90% would do if it meant his absence against Coventry contributed towards a dull performance and narrow defeat.

Forget about European qualification except through winning the FA Cup.

I can't see Hwang playing much between now and the rest of the season. It also looks like Neto is running on empty. I'd fancy us to win the Cup if our trio were all fit for the final and Cunha plus Neto were fully fit for the semi final.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only just seen Keen's post. I'd want him 100% match fit in readiness for the semi final but 90% would do if it meant his absence against Coventry contributed towards a dull performance and narrow defeat.

Forget about European qualification except through winning the FA Cup.

I can't see Hwang playing much between now and the rest of the season. It also looks like Neto is running on empty. I'd fancy us to win the Cup if our trio were all fit for the final and Cunha plus Neto were fully fit for the semi final.
Would be good to have Cunha on the bench v Coventry in case we need a game changer late on.
While we should be able to beat Coventry without him it may be no walk in the park. Two games that keep giving me a sense of caution are Maidstone’s win at Ipswich and also our win as a Championship team at high flying Leeds in the QF in the 90’s. The latter is quite similar imv to the relative differences between the teams’ abilities and status.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our goals have really tailed off since Cunha's injury. I know there are other mitigating factors - primarily Hwang who has been playing at 50% since returning from Qatar, although we did well enough without him with Cunha-Sarabia-Neto.

20 goals in 8 games before Cunha's injury (2.5 goals/game), 4 goals in 5 games after Cunha's injury (0.8 goals/game).

I think he's absolutely integral to how we've been playing, everything has ran through him in an attacking sense. By far our most important player now. Without him, we're back to struggling for goals.

I don't know if it's the best idea to rush him back for Coventry, if he can avoid playing there he'll get another couple of weeks off. Perhaps it'd be more likely he starts on the bench anyway.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep similar to what i heard a week back
He was ready to train fully then but being held back by medical team as a precaution
The best thing for hammies is rest so i totally agree with being cautious
If they think hes ready then maybe a spot on the bench at best,but will need a full weeks training at the very least

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our goals have really tailed off since Cunha's injury. I know there are other mitigating factors - primarily Hwang who has been playing at 50% since returning from Qatar, although we did well enough without him with Cunha-Sarabia-Neto.

20 goals in 8 games before Cunha's injury (2.5 goals/game), 4 goals in 5 games after Cunha's injury (0.8 goals/game).

I think he's absolutely integral to how we've been playing, everything has ran through him in an attacking sense. By far our most important player now. Without him, we're back to struggling for goals.

I don't know if it's the best idea to rush him back for Coventry, if he can avoid playing there he'll get another couple of weeks off. Perhaps it'd be more likely he starts on the bench anyway.
Agree mostly but also suffering from Neto not being 100%.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would shove him on the bench today......it's joke by the way.....but obviously not too far off the comments like, 'dont risk him if he isn't ready".....
We haven't got the information to say either...

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He had a scan Monday which was obviously positive news but I think we still be cautious with him.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You're correct of course but I think the double whammy of him and Channy out/off kilter is what's done it.

UTW

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you couldn’t love cunha anymore than you already do…….

He is a player I see staying with us for a long time! Unless the club asked him to move on to help the finances……

His passion for the badge and his joy to be here like Joao G, has been evident from the moment they signed.
Great player great guy.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fraser starts today and does well, keep him in for Cov & let Cunha come off the bench if the game needs him
I'd say that unless Fraser totally stinks the place out today he should be playing anyway

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

I think Cunha’s burst of goals before injury were a big result of Sarabia coming into the team. I’ve said before and maybe I’ll do it but I’d love to see how many goals we’ve scored with Sarabia on the pitch compared to when he isn’t.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Cunha’s burst of goals before injury were a big result of Sarabia coming into the team. I’ve said before and maybe I’ll do it but I’d love to see how many goals we’ve scored with Sarabia on the pitch compared to when he isn’t.
The +/- system in hockey is a great stat. Not as significant in football of course because players are on the pitch for most of the game, but in the time of 5 subs and player rotation, it would give a good indication of a player's contribution.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disputing that Sarabia has been excellent at times, but he played in all of those aforementioned five games where our goals scored column has fallen off a cliff without Cunha in the side. Perhaps that's more a case that our replacements aren't of the same standard (JRB), and it's a collective effect, but I do think Cunha was becoming talismanic for us.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disputing that Sarabia has been excellent at times, but he played in all of those aforementioned five games where our goals scored column has fallen off a cliff without Cunha in the side. Perhaps that's more a case that our replacements aren't of the same standard (JRB), and it's a collective effect, but I do think Cunha was becoming talismanic for us.
Oh absolutely - Sarabia needs Cunha also, but I do agree that Cunha had a huge uptick in form once Sarabia started playing more. They gelled well and he makes the right runs for a player like Sarabia.

The connection was instant when Sarabia came on vs Spurs.

As much as I love Neto and Hwang, I think Cunha benefits from playing with someone who plays with their head up a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom