Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fulham verdict

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fully agree.

I haven't said we're in a false position. I love this team, the manager is performing miracles and we thoroughly deserve to be where we are. In fact, the VAR decisions mean you could say we should be better off.

I am just gutted that O'Neil wasn't backed at all in January as this group are on the cusp of something special and I don't think we'll be able to capitalise on that because a few injuries have left us in such a bad state.
Re the last paragraph. It’s hardly “a few injuries” though is it. Losing Neto, Cunha, JJ and Hwang our best 4 attacking players is bound to have an effect. Even City and Liverpool with an abundance of attacking talent would struggle without their best 4 attacking players.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re the last paragraph. It’s hardly “a few injuries” though is it. Losing Neto, Cunha, JJ and Hwang our best 4 attacking players is bound to have an effect. Even City and Liverpool with an abundance of attacking talent would struggle without their best 4 attacking players.

It's four for 45 minutes on Saturday and potentially next week. Hopefully back down to three if Cunha is involved against Coventry.

I don't think that is that bad, it's only a disaster because of our squad. If O'Neil had got the two attackers he wanted in January they would be playing along with Sarabia and there'd be no real problems.

Losing Cunha and Neto is always a setback for us because we're never going to replace their individual quality but I really don't think we've had it that bad with injuries this season, even now. A normal sized squad would be able to cope.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's four for 45 minutes on Saturday and potentially next week. Hopefully back down to three if Cunha is involved against Coventry.

I don't think that is that bad, it's only a disaster because of our squad. If O'Neil had got the two attackers he wanted in January they would be playing along with Sarabia and there'd be no real problems.

Losing Cunha and Neto is always a setback for us because we're never going to replace their individual quality but I really don't think we've had it that bad with injuries this season, even now. A normal sized squad would be able to cope.
5 forwards and 1 rookie is pretty normal, no?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 forwards and 1 rookie is pretty normal, no?

I know O'Neil wanted two more but I think we're definitely one short.

Also other clubs generally have midfield players who could play in an attacking role which we don't. Or maybe we do, as it's what we're trying with Lemina and he's doing quite well to be fair.

For example Andreas Pereira/Iwobi with Fulham, Harvey Elliott did it with Liverpool, Doucoure at Everton, Joe Willock at Newcastle would sometimes player higher up and do okay.

We have Bellegarde who is perhaps like this but you're counting him as a forward. I think you need about 7 senior players over the course of a season who could play in a front three and we've got 5 and Fraser.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Regarding the shortage of players I'm sure the risk of today's circumstance was understood in January, after all it was well and truly flagged up last Autumn that we were cash strapped and that wouldn't change until Summer at the earliest. But, as a point of interest does anyone have a fix on how much cash they think we could have spent in January, who we might have bought, and if those players would be of the calibre required for the future and not simply stop-gap for 23/24 purposes?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding the shortage of players I'm sure the risk of today's circumstance was understood in January, after all it was well and truly flagged up last Autumn that we were cash strapped and that wouldn't change until Summer at the earliest. But, as a point of interest does anyone have a fix on how much cash they think we could have spent in January, who we might have bought, and if those players would be of the calibre required for the future and not simply stop-gap for 23/24 purposes?
I think we were in the £5-£10 mil bracket in January,your not going to get much for that without taking a huge gamble on them coming from South America and settling straight away ,a big ask really

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having diligently read all of the posts, articles and media reports about our finances and transfer business , I can confidently say that no-one on this forum has the slightest idea what was available, what we could have spent, who we were actually looking at, who we even spoke to, when we started looking, whether we are still looking, and why we moved certain players on at the point we did for the reasons we did.

Actually, what I mean by that is everyone knows but no-one really agrees.

You're welcome <deep bow>

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably one of my favourite Wolves games ever, mainly because my son was a mascot. What an incredible day!

I'm so glad we won, but also very pleased by what an entertaining game it was.

It went to general sale in the end, so I was able to get tickets for family members who wanted to be there to share the proud moment.

My Mom made me laugh after the game. She wanted to come to see her grandson, with the football match as a secondary afterthought. But she loved it! Having never been to a proper football match before she now wants to go again. A woman in her mid 60s getting the bug after experiencing the Molineux atmosphere for the first time! Brilliant.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know O'Neil wanted two more but I think we're definitely one short.

Also other clubs generally have midfield players who could play in an attacking role which we don't. Or maybe we do, as it's what we're trying with Lemina and he's doing quite well to be fair.

For example Andreas Pereira/Iwobi with Fulham, Harvey Elliott did it with Liverpool, Doucoure at Everton, Joe Willock at Newcastle would sometimes player higher up and do okay.

We have Bellegarde who is perhaps like this but you're counting him as a forward. I think you need about 7 senior players over the course of a season who could play in a front three and we've got 5 and Fraser.
How many clubs have got seven senior forwards?

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not even City.
Quite. So it's all nonsense. And when we beat City in September, we kept hearing about how they were missing Rodri. Take two or three out of that first choice City team, and they're not the same prospect at all. We've lost an entire first choice forward line to injury. You don't prepare for that.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably one of my favourite Wolves games ever, mainly because my son was a mascot. What an incredible day!

I'm so glad we won, but also very pleased by what an entertaining game it was.

It went to general sale in the end, so I was able to get tickets for family members who wanted to be there to share the proud moment.

My Mom made me laugh after the game. She wanted to come to see her grandson, with the football match as a secondary afterthought. But she loved it! Having never been to a proper football match before she now wants to go again. A woman in her mid 60s getting the bug after experiencing the Molineux atmosphere for the first time! Brilliant.
Great story that, I'm sure it was a great thrill for your son and mom, (did she jump up out of her seat and scream at the goals?)
:cool:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many clubs have got seven senior forwards?
I would say most in the league.

It's also missing the crucial point on having attacking midfielders that are more versatile and capable in the final third.

To disprove your City claim: Foden, De Bruyne, Alvarez, Bobb, Haaland, Doku, Grealish would all be options for the front three that we play.

You could argue Bobb is a kid, but he's also used Nunes in an advanced role.

We don't have enough versatile midfield/attacking midfield type players to beef up the squad.

We need a striker and another one of those players to have a good enough squad IMO.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Literally every one.

It's also missing the crucial point on having midfielders who can double up as attacking midfielders.

To disprove your City claim: Foden, De Bruyne, Alvarez, Bobb, Haaland, Doku, Grealish would all be options for the front three that we play.

You could argue Bobb is a kid, but he's also used Nunes in an advanced role.

We don't have enough versatile midfield/attacking midfield type players to beef up the squad.

We need a striker and another one of those to have a good enough squad IMO.
Utter nonsense. If you're counting attacking midfielders, we've got Lemina and Gomes who can do that, plus Ait Nouri. So there's your seven plus. Isn't it? If not, why not?

I didn't say City don't have options. But when they were missing Rodri / De Bruyne, they weren't the same team in the autumn. So you haven't disproved anything.

Give me a team outside the top four who have more choice of senior attackers than we do.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utter nonsense. If you're counting attacking midfielders, we've got Lemina and Gomes who can do that, plus Ait Nouri. So there's your seven plus. Isn't it? If not, why not?

I didn't say City don't have options. But when they were missing Rodri / De Bruyne, they weren't the same team in the autumn. So you haven't disproved anything.

Give me a team outside the top four who have more choice of senior attackers than we do.

I'm talking utter nonsense and you've just claimed Joao Gomes is an attacking midfielder compared to Phil Foden/Jack Grealish/Kevin De Bruyne :D

I said previously Lemina has now done it for two games, and has done well. He could be one, yes. But it's not his position and he's been forced there, I don't know if he'd capable.

Bournemouth: Faivre, Sinisterra, Kluivert, Tavernier, Solanke, Unal, Semenyo, Outtara
Brighton: Welbeck, Mitoma, Ferguson, Pedro, Adingra, March, Fati, Enciso, Lallana
Fulham: Raul, Muniz, Adama, Broja, Willian, Wilson, Iwobi, B. Reid
Forest: MGW, Wood, Awoniyi, Elanga, Hudson-Odoi, Reyna, Origi

I could go on but cba.

I don't doubt City struggled without Rodri, and every club has a few standout individuals, and ours are undoubtedly Neto and Cunha, so not really arguing that. I was just pointing out that we don't have suitable cover.

Whilst City aren't the same without Rodri, they're still bringing in senior international's like Kovacic, and they even discarded an England international in Phillips, so it's not like they leave themselves in a terrible position.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm talking utter nonsense and you've just claimed Joao Gomes is an attacking midfielder compared to Phil Foden/Jack Grealish/Kevin De Bruyne :D

I said previously Lemina has now done it for two games, and has done well. He could be one, yes. But it's not his position and he's been forced there, I don't know if he'd capable.

Bournemouth: Faivre, Sinisterra, Kluivert, Tavernier, Solanke, Unal, Semenyo, Outtara
Brighton: Welbeck, Mitoma, Ferguson, Pedro, Adingra, March, Fati, Enciso, Lallana
Fulham: Raul, Muniz, Adama, Broja, Willian, Wilson, Iwobi, B. Reid
Forest: MGW, Wood, Awoniyi, Elanga, Hudson-Odoi, Reyna, Origi

I could go on but cba.

I don't doubt City struggled without Rodri, and every club has a few standout individuals, and ours are undoubtedly Neto and Cunha, so not really arguing that. I was just pointing out that we don't have suitable cover.

Whilst City aren't the same without Rodri, they're still bringing in senior international's like Kovacic, and they even discarded an England international in Phillips, so it's not like they leave themselves in a terrible position.
Premier league teams need 7 attacking players, in the broader sense, to function, when injuries, fatigue, variation are taken into account. Normally backed up a couple of promising youth players who are ready to break through.

Wolves have the two back up youth players in Fraser adn Lemina, but only 5 out of the 7 normally required. They did have the seven as shown by the squad for the first half of the season, but Fabio and Sasa were moved on, without being replaced.

Oneil made it clear in several statements that he wanted two in to replace the two going out.

The point to understand, which many such as the mule-headed Zico struggle with, is that the full roster of 7 protects
the players from injury as the season develops. Its not just a matter of having subs to come in, but using the players in
such a way as to prevent injuries as much as possible.

This is where the club have let Oneil and the fans down badly, as was warned at the time.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Premier league teams need 7 attacking players, in the broader sense, to function, when injuries, fatigue, variation are taken into account. Normally backed up a couple of promising youth players who are ready to break through.

Wolves have the two back up youth players in Fraser adn Lemina, but only 5 out of the 7 normally required. They did have the seven as shown by the squad for the first half of the season, but Fabio and Sasa were moved on, without being replaced.

Oneil made it clear in several statements that he wanted two in to replace the two going out.

The point to understand, which many such as the mule-headed Zico struggle with, is that the full roster of 7 protects
the players from injury as the season develops. Its not just a matter of having subs to come in, but using the players in

This is where the club have let Oneil and the fans down badly, as was warned at the time.

Yep, Zico is seemingly arguing our squad is actually big enough, even though O'Neil agrees it's not and even those who have defended the board have acknowledged the squad is short, even if they don't criticise Fosun for it (separate debate).

If he thinks our squad is big enough, fair enough, his opinion, but certainly in the minority.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep, Zico is seemingly arguing our squad is actually big enough, even though O'Neil agrees it's not and even those who have defended the board have acknowledged the squad is short, even if they don't criticise Fosun for it (separate debate).

If he thinks our squad is big enough, fair enough, his opinion, but certainly in the minority.

The squad is as big as it can be, without reducing quality. It really shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp. If we could have added numbers without hurting the first team quality, we would have done. We couldn't, so we didn't. Now we have injuries and it's hurting us....

But if we had ready and waiting backups and replacements it would have been hurting us all season due to the quality of the 1st team being lower, and we would be nowhere near the high, comfortable league position we find ourselves in.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The squad is as big as it can be, without reducing quality. It really shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp. If we could have added numbers without hurting the first team quality, we would have done. We couldn't, so we didn't. Now we have injuries and it's hurting us....

But if we had ready and waiting backups and replacements it would have been hurting us all season due to the quality of the 1st team being lower, and we would be nowhere near the high, comfortable league position we find ourselves in.
That's just silly.

Clubs operate with squads in order to allow for rotation, injury and suspension, (plus the need to change it up).

The days of the same Xl starting week in, week out have gone with the flares and glamrock.

And this is what the coach himself argued.

Its basic.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is, that if we hadn't let Sasa and Fabio go out on loan, we would have the full complement of forwards (in terms of numbers) that all the other teams have?

Which lends me to think that the general consensus on here and in the club was that we would get one, possibly two in in January, but that ship sailed.

I know that no one fancies Fabio anymore, but I still think that as someone who we have supported in development and paid a handsome sum for, he would do us (and maybe him) more use by having him available to pick for the first team. Then you don't find yourself in the same situation where we are now and playing a callow academy prospect who would benefit from sub appearances rather than starting.

It's the same thing, over and over, like a mobius strip: we let players go out on loan before we had signed replacements. If nothing else, this shouldn't happen again in future.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's just silly.

Clubs operate with squads in order to allow for rotation, injury and suspension, (plus the need to change it up).

The days of the same Xl starting week in, week out have gone with the flares and glamrock.

And this is what the coach himself argued.

Its basic.

It's the reality.

The wages for 4 back up players would mean having to sell one top earner or two middle earners... significantly reducing our peak team to improve the back up team in the event they're needed.

Obviously in an ideal world its better to have a lot of back up options. But we are not in an ideal world and we have to make decisions based on the reality... not an ideal.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're short of a forward or two, the majority of the fans know this, the squad knows this, GON and his staff know this, the club management know this.

Which is why they tried in January, but couldn't get the right deal done and had to make do.

Not sure what the constant told you so achieves, everyone within the club agrees!!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the reality.

The wages for 4 back up players would mean having to sell one top earner or two middle earners... significantly reducing our peak team to improve the back up team in the event they're needed.

Obviously in an ideal world its better to have a lot of back up options. But we are not in an ideal world and we have to make decisions based on the reality... not an ideal.
We had back up players in FAbio and Sasa.....Oneil referenced again on several occasions that replacing these two was the aim, and why
they were shifted out early.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We had back up players in FAbio and Sasa.....Oneil referenced again on several occasions that replacing these two was the aim, and why
they were shifted out early.

£100k per week. We tried to replace at half that, but couldn't find anyone we deemed better than Fraser.

If we had kept both, we would have had to sell someone else... and the wages would probably have mandated that was Sarabia.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£100k per week. We tried to replace at half that, but couldn't find anyone we deemed better than Fraser.

If we had kept both, we would have had to sell someone else... and the wages would probably have mandated that was Sarabia.
This is the bit I can’t understand why people can’t get their heads around it. We had to move Sasa and Fabio on to free up the wages and tried as hard as we could to replace them. This idea that the club either just sat on their hands while Jeff counted the money saved, or that there was an abundance of quality strikers out there that we just didn’t see or couldn’t be ***** chasing is ridiculous

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suffered two significant losses but still managed to win! Fulham better first half. We improved second. My man of the match was Joao Gomes, closely followed by RAN. Atmosphere decent except for North Bank! Couldn't hear anything coming out from that stand.

Nivada

Reaction score
Honestly believe Semedo meant to deflect that in. Looked so deliberate.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Excellent, an insult from the biggest producer of mumbo jumbo on here is a veritable recommendation.

Rowzed

Reaction score

Careful now, you sound like you know what you’re talking about :cool:

Back
Top Bottom