Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pedro Neto

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Gary did basically say 'it was my fault for playing him, but everyone told me he was fine'. If the scans say he's fine, the physios say he's fine and the player says he's fine, what is the manager supposed to do?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary did basically say 'it was my fault for playing him, but everyone told me he was fine'. If the scans say he's fine, the physios say he's fine and the player says he's fine, what is the manager supposed to do?
One leg was heavily strapped. Not really fine at all
The board has put O'Neil in an impossible position

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
True, but footballers get over-compensation injuries that affect the other side if they play with an underlying problem. Unless of course him pulling his left hamstring the week after tweaking his right, is a total coincidence? Of course not, and Gary did, "take it on the chin" for playing Pedro from the start. Though with Fraser starting, I certainly understand his temptation to start Neto. That's how thin we are. The physio staff have had it relatively easy until now - we'll see how good their judgement is now the treatment table is starting to book up.

A win over Fulham is all well and good to keep our league momentum, but the squad is simply not deep enough to attack two fronts. It's obvious now. We have to beat Coventry and get to Wembley, that's the only memory from this season that matters. From there who knows if we get say, Chelsea whom we've already doubled.

I'm by no means trying to start or engage in an argument... but just for a moment imagine the alternative:

GON doesn't play Neto and we go on to lose, then after the game in his interview he says "Pedro passed all the fitness tests, and the scans showed no signs of any damage... but I thought, I won't play him, just in case...." can you imagine how angry people would have been?

I know we went on to win without him. And very possibly/probably would have won if we rested him... but the decisions were made at a time when we did not know what the outcome would be. The decision was based on the tests, so the decision was correct. MAYBE the tests were flawed or insufficient, but that's by the by.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate to say it but we should be entertaining any bids of 40 million plus. He career is at a bit of a critical stage, he can't keep spending time in the medical room and maintain any value. Clubs are gonna be very wary at this stage unfortunately.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All signs would suggest he’s not being truthful.

Neto, our best available player, was a sub against Brighton, a huge game.

He was replaced at Newcastle at HT in what was a huge game against a rival for top 8.

Fans have seen him have issues against Man United and Sheffield United.

He wasn’t training in the video in the week.

He’s quite obviously not fully fit despite what any scan may have said.

I have huge sympathy for O’Neil because what can he do? We have no forwards.

He took a risk, and it backfired.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON doesn't play Neto and we go on to lose, then after the game in his interview he says "Pedro passed all the fitness tests, and the scans showed no signs of any damage... but I thought, I won't play him, just in case...." can you imagine how angry people would have been?
Listen to @Jefe and borrow @WeAreTheWolvesII crystal ball
As others have said, Gary sadly needs to accept it's a choice between 7th in the League or a Wembley semi-final (or even a glorious Final potentially), because it's clear with our paucity of squad he can't have it all. Gary did accept it was his fault for starting Neto (and fair play for taking it on the chin). No crystal ball required for that Leominster, me hearty me lad...

Noweimannnocry

Reaction score
While I never like to see players injured, with Neto‘s injury record, the Sky six may hesitate to buy him. I may be clutching at straws, but I would like to see him here next season.
IMO I think after today's injury this will almost guarantee he will be here next season, I also think we should get rid of any ideas about really big money offers coming in now.
I'm more concerned about the mental effects this can have on the lad.
We've seen this happen to so many super gifted footballers over the years, recurring injuries can destroy potential outstanding careers.
Fingers crossed for him.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate to say it but we should be entertaining any bids of 40 million plus. He career is at a bit of a critical stage, he can't keep spending time in the medical room and maintain any value. Clubs are gonna be very wary at this stage unfortunately.
Have to say I agree. The Neto sale this summer was the catalyst for improving the squad. He's the one player that would yield good money and that we'd entertain selling (although all players have their price). When he pulled-up again, yesterday, I was upset for the player, but also upset for the club as any clubs looking at him will be 'wary', as you say.
I've not entered the debate about Neto's value and some of the suggested priced were farcical imo, but whatever he would have realised in the Summer, it's clear that those valuations will now be in jeopardy and that's assuming that clubs will take a risk on him.
If he goes, then we need top dollar. If he stays (possibly because no club will take such a risk), then we're likely to have an injury-prone player that we can't fully rely on. Not ideal in either scenario.

fleck1

Reaction score
Can only go on the information available, if the scans are fine, the medical team have said no issues, obviously Pedro himself would have had an input and would have trained and reported back how it felt. We are moving in to territory where I think he's here next season, he's beginning to get a reputation and you can see on any article where his linked with clubs, their fans see him as injury prone and think they should look elsewhere. Don't see anyone risking a massive chunk of their transfer budget, until he can prove he can stay fit. Since signing for us he's been injured for 517 days and missed 98 games

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eventually, people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Neto is just a bit injury prone, rather than blaming whoever the coach or medical team is at the time.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Going forward these injuries will be in his head every time he plays now, he maybe subconsciously unable to explode the way he has in the past. Think his value has certainly decreased because of this.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm by no means trying to start or engage in an argument... but just for a moment imagine the alternative:

I know we went on to win without him. And very possibly/probably would have won if we rested him... but the decisions were made at a time when we did not know what the outcome would be. The decision was based on the tests, so the decision was correct. MAYBE the tests were flawed or insufficient, but that's by the by.
It was a reckless decision to play neto,, everyone knew he had a hamstring o problem. Now we have a key player out for possibly several weeks, where a weeks rest might have allowed him to contribute to one of our more important games in years.

players should have been brought in to allow sensible rotation and proper protection of vital assets.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

He was replaced at Newcastle at HT in what was a huge game against a rival for top 8.

OK, I'm not saying that I trust everything that I get told (not even from Saint Gary), I felt when I heard him that maybe he'd had a bit of an internal struggle with voices in his head saying give Pedro another week off.

I certainly agree that he hasn't looked the same since he came back from the initial injury, but whether that is actual fitness, or a lack of trust in his own body I don't know.

The fact seems to be though that the scans were correctly clear and the hamstring that was injured was OK, but the other one went. I'm not sure how you legislate for that.

Of course the squad is thin, we know we all wanted a 9, nobody was coming in to allow a fit Neto to rest though. We did have a full week between games and let's be honest we aren't flogging these players in the way Nuno's squad has to cope with the Europa League.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just need to ensure he has no major injuries between now and the end of the season.

His sale is pivotal to our plan.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was a team looking at Neto. I would be massively put off by his injury record over the last 4 years. He has not stayed fit for a whole season has he?

For me I would keep him rather than sell as cannot see anyone paying much for a player that spends more time in the medical room than on the pitch.
On the same account, with a big side, he'd get more rest too which he's never going to get at a small club.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No **** Sherlock.

Club negligent in this regard.

Short term magical thinking decisions taken over rationality, precedence and current advanced knowledge. These should be disciplinary matters.
Blame the coach then.

He had a bigger squad before the window... and didn't use it. And he had options for a bigger squad now and turned them down.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Having such a small squad is the biggest problem, O'Neil is having to rush players back because we've got no one else,another week would probably have done Neto the world of good

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s his other hamstring which means thankfully it shouldn’t be too bad. If he had to be carried off again it would be season over. We might see him in the old gold once more. Let’s see what the scans say

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s his other hamstring which means thankfully it shouldn’t be too bad. If he had to be carried off again it would be season over. We might see him in the old gold once more. Let’s see what the scans say
True, too early to get depressed.

If Neto stays and we line up with the same squad next year, including Mosquera, Fraser, Chiqiunho, Chirewa and Chiwome, then it's hardly the end of the world.

We may even sell Silva, Podence, Guedes and Sasa and raise enough for a new striker.

GON is staying. Happy days.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact seems to be though that the scans were correctly clear and the hamstring that was injured was OK, but the other one went. I'm not sure how you legislate for that.
Does tend to happen though, when carrying an injury other muscles overcompensate.
Due to the opposition and nature of the game I wouldn't have played him if he'd been out of training all week. Don't want to turn it into a witch-hunt though.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Semedo, Sarabia and Dawson were also not in the first 11

We were 2 nil down v Newcastle

He was in the training video

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If Neto stays and we line up with the same squad next year, including Mosquera, Fraser, Chiqiunho, Chirewa and Chiwome, then it's hardly the end of the world.

We may even sell Silva, Podence, Guedes and Sasa and raise enough for a new striker.

Don’t over think it. He will be out for 1/2 months. The fact he walked off is really promising. If it’s only small it could be 1 month back after the vile game. Which if we beat coventry we want Neto and Cunha for the cup semi. Just rest them up. Which is what I would of done yesterday but Gary was told he’s fine. Let’s see what the news this week brings.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s because of the explosiveness of his running that’s why he pulls up. Should probably warm up and stretch more maybe. It will always happen to players that are quick. Unfortunately. It depends on the severity the fact he was walking fine might mean 2/4 weeks.

We will find out more next week but I honestly don’t think it’s as bad as people think.
My question really is not specifically about what happened to him yesterday it's that this injury seems to be recurring quite regularly. Does anyone know if a player who suffers from hamstring injuries when young can overcome this and go on to have a successful career?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My question really is not specifically about what happened to him yesterday it's that this injury seems to be recurring quite regularly. Does anyone know if a player who suffers from hamstring injuries when young can overcome this and go on to have a successful career?
Yes but it’s about stretching, recovery and a lot of different things. Because he explodes with pace every time the muscles are like string. You keep pulling the string it will eventually weaken. Same method unfortunately muscles aren’t that strong.

It’s down to his style of play. Adama had similar issues. He just needs to recover and not be rushed back. He’s already having what I’d call a successful career really. Portuguese international

Say for example we say he’s out for the season when he recovers he will be as good as new next season… No issues with that

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but it’s about stretching, recovery and a lot of different things. Because he explodes with pace every time the muscles are like string. You keep pulling the string it will eventually weaken. Same method unfortunately muscles aren’t that strong.

It’s down to his style of play. Adama had similar issues. He just needs to recover and not be rushed back. He’s already having what I’d call a successful career really. Portuguese International.
Only differece with Adama is that he had muscles in places where most of us dont even have places. :D

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just need to ensure he has no major injuries between now and the end of the season.

His sale is pivotal to our plan.
Read most of this thread and with respect that is the daftest thing said so far. The only way we can ensure he does not get injured is to send him on holiday till June! My view, is however serious or not this injury is, the chance of us selling him in the summer for top dollar is now pretty much zero. He's only 24 so clubs will watch him with us next season and make a decision on him in summer 2025. Hobbs has said our transfer policy is based on selling a top player and re-investing; that top player was obviously Neto so now we will have to look at other selling options if that is still the policy. No one else will make anywhere near what a fit Neto would have got us.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is another and very positive way to look at things. Well said. We could certainly raise perhaps £40-50 mil from the sale of unwanted loaned out players - more than enough to add quality to our existing squad. A fit Neto, after 1 more season with us, still only 25, could still bring in big bids from top clubs.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t over think it. He will be out for 1/2 months. The fact he walked off is really promising. If it’s only small it could be 1 month back after the vile game. Which if we beat coventry we want Neto and Cunha for the cup semi. Just rest them up. Which is what I would of done yesterday but Gary was told he’s fine. Let’s see what the news this week brings.
I'm rarely criticised for over-thinking.
Not thinking is often my problem

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Does tend to happen though, when carrying an injury other muscles overcompensate.
Due to the opposition and nature of the game I wouldn't have played him if he'd been out of training all week. Don't want to turn it into a witch-hunt though.
Well maybe, but when are you playing him on the basis that the other leg might go. I've not heard anything that says he didn't train all week, one person suggested he wasn't in the training video, someone else said he was! Also I couldn't see any strapping on his leg, but he was a long way from me. Like you say, it's a judgement call and as ever there are loads of self proclaimed experts who moan when a call goes wrong.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, the injury picked up yesterday is on the other leg to his most recent issue, so I am not overly-concerned - he just needs a decent rehab.

The aspect which does worry me a little is, with a place in the Portuguese squad for the Euros in his sights, will he be pushing himself a bit too much during rehab, I hope he plays it sensibly for mid/long term benefit of both himself and our Club.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At this moment in time, I'd be more upset if we lost RAN or Gomes in the Summer.
They are both rapidly becoming a more saleable asset.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
I think he may be back sooner, but like you I am not sure anyone will put a big bid in in summer
I wonder too. But thinking about Jota, we eventually have got £50 mill.

If it is this summer might it be a lower initial fee with realistic add ons?

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
As someone whose own football career was blighted by chronic hamstring problems, seeing the videos of the way he was walking off, looks very much like a Grade 2 injury.

Would be very surprised if we see him back before mid-April.
Me too, Tring, with a decent hockey career. I'm sure mine started with overplaying on artificial surfaces not as good as they are now.

It always makes me sensitive to hamstring injuries. It was frustrating as could see it coming for Cunha and Pedro, and Channy is prone already.

I hope you can do what you need and want to do to enjoy life. Rotten at the time and you have my complete sympathy.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
At a club with a bigger squad of top quality players these injuries will become much rarer, the workload for him and our other forwards is too much.

Getting a few players who can do a job and allow GON to rest players more often and take them off earlier would make a huge difference

Back
Top Bottom