Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I agree, I'm just wondering what the article is suggesting and know some on here subscribe
I don't know which article this is, the one on Hobbs?

It does make a bit of a fool of the idiots (definitely including me) who wondered how the hell we'd given him a 3 year contract.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard a story from a Boro mate of mine that he deliberately got booked for them so he could get time off on Saturdays to play golf. That might explain why his handicap is so good

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard a story from a Boro mate of mine that he deliberately got booked for them so he could get time off on Saturdays to play golf. That might explain why his handicap is so good

I doubt that very much.. he really doesn't seem like the sort of person that would do something like that.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score

Excellent comments from Gaz in here. Sounds like he loves it here.
Read some quotes from this on Instagram earlier. For a manager to come out publicly and say that he is so committed to us and that he loves the club and supporters is fantastic. I'm already a big fan of what he's doing but this makes him look even better. Really, really hoping we can consistently challenge in the top half with him and maybe grab a couple of cups.

In my ideal world, he stays for a long while and becomes a highly rated gaffer for us. Does not seem impossible if we get recruitment right and so on.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In my ideal world, he stays for a long while and becomes a highly rated gaffer for us. Does not seem impossible if we get recruitment right and so on.
There's no reason he can't jump from Wolves to the very top, job-wise, if he succeeds at the club. It's a pretty ideal setup.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
There's no reason he can't jump from Wolves to the very top, job-wise, if he succeeds at the club. It's a pretty ideal setup.
You know what, I won't kid myself, the aim of every manager is to keep climbing up the ladder. It's the same in every career path I suppose.

If he can achieve some of my dream goals for the club, consistent top half and maybe a couple trophies like I said, I think I'd be OK with him leaving- provided there was a plan in place to keep the model/process going. But- this is a little bit too speculative from me!

I'm just happy that he's happy and that he's doing a great job at the moment. Long may it continue.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“I still feel like I’m an awful long way behind where I need to be – to be working at the top of the game – and a long way behind a lot of the top people that have been doing it probably longer and have achieved a lot more.

“I still feel like sort of an apprentice, that is working really, really hard to try to earn my stripes, but I am enjoying it.

How humble is that!

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
“I still feel like I’m an awful long way behind where I need to be – to be working at the top of the game – and a long way behind a lot of the top people that have been doing it probably longer and have achieved a lot more.

“I still feel like sort of an apprentice, that is working really, really hard to try to earn my stripes, but I am enjoying it.

How humble is that!
This was one of my favourite parts. Humble in interviews, proving it on the pitch. Love that. He's doing so well and yet he is aware that he is not a top manager yet and he still has so much to do and learn.

That makes me even more excited.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How humble is that!

Did he read my posts????

Called himself The “apprentice”……

Big brother is watching lol

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Forget the rest of the article, he's a +4 handicap golfer! :oops:

Don't you just hate people that are good at everything :tearsofjoy:
Spoke to someone last Saturday who was the Hampshire U18s manager at the time and said that GON used to play cricket in his spare time for them when he was down Portsmouth. He was pretty good apparently.

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My old junior captain at Droitwich many (many, many) years ago was a guy called John Bickerton. He was regarded as one of the best amateurs in the country when he turned pro - he was off +3 so had to give the course (opposition) 3 shots.
He went on to win several times on the European tour in the 90's including winning Euro666,000 for the French Open.
GON has a 1 shot better handicap (+4) than John did when he went onto the European Tour.
I would imagine he is in the top 20 handicaps in the country.
A normal (-)4 handicap is a decent handicap, but probably wouldn't even be in the top 10 in most good clubs.
I can only play golf from the neck upwards

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Athketic article about Gary's new contract and big demands? I don't subscribe, so can only see the headline.
Just scrolled through the Wolves section on the Athletic and can’t find any article regarding this?

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's no big demands etc. It just gives a bit more detail behind Hobbs' comments that Gary deserves to discuss a new contract and that he hopes to be able to support him in the transfer market. He says he'd be surprised if other clubs weren't looking at him and obviously doesn't want him to leave but they are looking at candidates to replace him if/when necessary.

He discusses potential transfers and general policy/preparation.

Quite an interesting artical actually.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just scrolled through the Wolves section on the Athletic and can’t find any article regarding this?
No worries, thanks. I did find an article on Newsnow that quoted it. It was nothing shocking, just he'll want more money and funds to build. Really glad I didn't pay for that piece of amazing journalism!! :grinning:

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch Liverpool come in for him and offer us £2m compensation to be paid over five years.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Watch Liverpool come in for him and offer us £2m compensation to be paid over five years.
It’s the David Moyes conundrum,
Do you leave Everton and go to United?

The way he operates is brilliant for our club
He never played at a ‘big club’
They operate quite differently and have huge numbers of staff with multiple hierarchies

I think it would be a good few years before he would be comfortable at a Liverpool, Arsenal or Man United.
A club like Villa, Newcastle or West Ham maybe, then the next step to the top level later.

But as he says, he is a novice, rather like Rob Edwards (who Hobbs must have tapped up as his replacement if needed). I don’t think he goes for another 2-3 years.

Maybe if Molineux starts moaning when we aren’t in the Champions League.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
No worries, thanks. I did find an article on Newsnow that quoted it. It was nothing shocking, just he'll want more money and funds to build. Really glad I didn't pay for that piece of amazing journalism!! :grinning:
That's be fair to The Athletic I can only think it was from the interview with Hobbs, which had other stuff in. I'm not here to push their product and I feel it's just about worth £1 a month, as I only read Wolves stuff and occasional general football articles, but you can't really moan if you get hooked by a site pinching bits out of their articles specifically designed as click bait. Not having a go or meaning to sound preachy, but a common theme on here is people who want high quality journalism for nothing. Getting back in my box now ;)

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
nicked from elsewhere ....

Apparently, as Gary O’Neil’s interview for the Wolves vacancy concluded, and he left, there was total silence. Nothing was said. Such was the informed detail of his presentation of the club, his plans for the future and the belief and passion with which he spoke, it blew the interviewers away.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's be fair to The Athletic I can only think it was from the interview with Hobbs, which had other stuff in. I'm not here to push their product and I feel it's just about worth £1 a month, as I only read Wolves stuff and occasional general football articles, but you can't really moan if you get hooked by a site pinching bits out of their articles specifically designed as click bait. Not having a go or meaning to sound preachy, but a common theme on here is people who want high quality journalism for nothing. Getting back in my box now ;)
Totally agree. The fact I found what they were talking about in another article somewhat negates the need to pay the pound though :tearsofjoy:

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
Spoke to someone last Saturday who was the Hampshire U18s manager at the time and said that GON used to play cricket in his spare time for them when he was down Portsmouth. He was pretty good apparently.
Football, golf, cricket.
Definitely the kid at school who was the best at everything.
I bet the PE Teacher put him in cross country and he won it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was sitting directly behind the dugouts on Saturday.

The way he lives every pass is incredible. He is so animated. He is going through every pass and movement in his mind, almost conducting it with his arms, and if the team do something different, he can get a little frustrated, especially if it slows the game down.

His passion and attention to detail is clear from watching him.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score

The way he lives every pass is incredible. He is so animated. He is going through every pass and movement in his mind, almost conducting it with his arms, and if the team do something different, he can get a little frustrated, especially if it slows the game down.

This is very well written. This may come back to bite me... But I really think he's going to do some very special things with Wolves.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the button articlehttps://www.molineux.news/news/graeme-souness-shares-how-gary-oneil-has-shown-up-julen-lopetegui-at-wolves/

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My old junior captain at Droitwich many (many, many) years ago was a guy called John Bickerton. He was regarded as one of the best amateurs in the country when he turned pro - he was off +3 so had to give the course (opposition) 3 shots.
He went on to win several times on the European tour in the 90's including winning Euro666,000 for the French Open.
GON has a 1 shot better handicap (+4) than John did when he went onto the European Tour.
I would imagine he is in the top 20 handicaps in the country.
A normal (-)4 handicap is a decent handicap, but probably wouldn't even be in the top 10 in most good clubs.
Me ex used to live next door to John Bickerton, many years since I've heard his name!

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Serious point - the effort, hard work and attention to detail must be exhausting. He seems to be so driven.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not having a go at anyone but I re-read the first page of this thread. How times have changed (random selection):

Sit deep and counter attack . We are ****ed , bore fest here we come from looking in the Bournemouth forum.

If he plays three at the back we need another two CBs.

Whatever formation, it'll be everybody behind the ball and try and nick one, then being miserable as sin in every interview win, lose or draw. Always came across mindblowingly miserable last season, actually someone I'd think 'I couldn't be doing with him as our manager'.

Being mardy is alright if you're a top coach I suppose...

Calling it tactics is probably a bit too optimistic

lets be honest, the bloke is a chancer. he got the job because he was there at bournemouth. then they sacked him. he has no "tactics", he just needs a salary

To be fair, there were one or two more positive contributions, also ...

I'd assume and hope he would set us up similarly to how the players have worked in pre-season and slowly tweak things to his liking

His tactics at Bournemouth were probably to consolidate and play on the counter, trying to scrape points to keep them up.

Whilst we *could* be in a relegation scrap, there's no need to adopt that mentality from the off. He's got free reign to be positive and use whatever tactics he likes.

He has a much more talented pool of players at his disposal

We have looked at our most threatening during pre-season playing on the counter. It's also how Nuno played. Counter attacking football doesn't have to be boring if it's executed correctly

He's doing alright, ain't he?

Back
Top Bottom