Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Medical Team

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well one season we played midweek basically every week with virtually the same team. I'm not sure you can blame faitigue for someone feeling a tweak in their hamstring (let's wait and see what it actually is) after 20 minutes of a game 6 days after their last game - that's probably just one of those things.
He is out for the season

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha done for the season. He won’t be sold then. Not so bad after all. Nobody will buy an injured player

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not you fault buddy, it was Hobbs who stupidly said we didn't need to sign a striker due to the excellence of our medical team.
Its Nathan Fraser I feel sorry for. Its clear that his development would have been better served going out on loan.
Players played out of position (Bellegarde) and others flogged to death, I also feel for GON having to navigate through this. Whilst it's only a single game there did feel an air of inevitability about it.
When did Hobbs, or anyone at the club, say that?

DJW

Reaction score
When did Hobbs, or anyone at the club, say that?
Pretty sure he said it towards the end of the transfer window. I appreciate it takes some believing as it's such a ridiculous thing to say.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Pretty sure he said it towards the end of the transfer window. I appreciate it takes some believing as it's such a ridiculous thing to say.
I would appreciate it if you could find the quote as it does seem a ridiculous thing to say if true

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“It’s about the long-term strategy of self-sustainability. We’ve got a lot of employees at the football club that we’re responsible for, a lot of people who work hard and do great jobs – if you look at what Phil Hayward [head of high performance] and Kai Win [first-team doctor] and their team have done, they’ve ensured we’ve got one of the best injury records in the league.

“It’s about building a whole club, rather than looking for answers in transfer windows and being reactive. If we have the right plan, have the right staff and all work together, then it’s a much healthier way for the club to evolve.”

He mentions the medical team here when talking about our 'January transfer plans'.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
“It’s about the long-term strategy of self-sustainability. We’ve got a lot of employees at the football club that we’re responsible for, a lot of people who work hard and do great jobs – if you look at what Phil Hayward [head of high performance] and Kai Win [first-team doctor] and their team have done, they’ve ensured we’ve got one of the best injury records in the league.

“It’s about building a whole club, rather than looking for answers in transfer windows and being reactive. If we have the right plan, have the right staff and all work together, then it’s a much healthier way for the club to evolve.”

He mentions the medical team here when talking about our 'January transfer plans'.
So he didn’t say ‘we didn’t need to sign a striker due to the excellence of our medical team’

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So he didn’t say ‘we didn’t need to sign a striker due to the excellence of our medical team’
I didn't say he had.

He alluded to our medical team and our injury record when discussing the January transfer plans, so I can see why DJW is making the point. It's a weird thing to reference when discussing transfer plans, especially for a club like us who suffered the Raul injury, which was proof that anything can happen.

DJW

Reaction score
I didn't say he had.

He alluded to our medical team and our injury record when discussing the January transfer plans, so I can see why DJW is making the point. It's a weird thing to reference when discussing transfer plans, especially for a club like us who suffered the Raul injury, which was proof that anything can happen.
Reading it again, a month later, i can see why someone might think he didn't exactly say it. However you have to remember the context of what was going on at the time. Sasa and Fabio leaving, Hwang away, no replacements being secured and supporters warning about what could happen if we pick up injuries (which sadly we have)
Take all that into account and I think he is clearly alluding to the excellence of our medical team as a reason to stay calm. Whilst I'm sure they are excellent its not really panned out.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's being reported on Sky Sports News. GON has said it is a significant injury and there is no timeframe on it. Nothing about being out for the season.

Until I read it from the horses mouth (our club) I won't pay too much attention to SSN!
A serious hamstring is 2-3 months. He is out for that long which is the rest of the season

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry folks!

If it's any consolation, the sheer perfection of the timing of this thread enriches the unique tapestry of Mix folklore in the tradition of WalsallWolf's missus, TrueWolf's cryptic codagram, Talisca On A Plane and the enduring appeal of iPads.

Never let it be said that the football gods miss an opportunity.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, the sheer perfection of the timing of this thread enriches the unique tapestry of Mix folklore in the tradition of WalsallWolf's missus, TrueWolf's cryptic codagram, Talisca On A Plane and the enduring appeal of iPads.

Never let it be said that the football gods miss an opportunity.
My personal favourite from this season was the beautifully titled "GON Wheels Come Off' thread, started after the West Ham defeat and just before our best winning run of the season. It included doom predictions of us getting between 0 to 3 points over the next six games, calls from some quarters for GON to be replaced by Big Sam, and the infamous post (from a poster I won't name!) "We will be in the relegation zone in mid-January. We are trending downwards - mark my words." I did mark his words and we went on to win the next three games 2-1, 4-1 and 3-0. In reality he didn't want his words to be marked though because he deleted his post!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem is players are being risked because there is little choice. That’s not the same as being run in to the ground . A slight tightness could be aggravated and is risked .

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto done his hamstring again by the sounds of things.

Taken off against Fulham.

FFS!!!!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the medical team. We keep playing players in high intensity roles when they should be rested or are carrying minor injuries and this is the very obvious consequence.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that’s a whole lot of pearl clutching.

Both Hwang and Neto played when very obviously not fit and both have now picked up hamstring injuries. Cunha was overplayed and rarely rested either and suffered the same fate.

When we play the sort of tactics we do where the front 3 are running so much from deep constantly over a match, week in and week out then we HAVE to rotate them. If we don't have the squad to do that then we should play different tactics to look after the forwards better.

This was always going to happen, they're people not robots.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players playing when not fully fit due to the ridiculously small squad we have will eventually lead to what has happened now. Many of us warning about this in January and what could happen in the second half of the season with a wafer thin squad and it has.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the medical team. We keep playing players in high intensity roles when they should be rested or are carrying minor injuries and this is the very obvious consequence.
Absolutely right

The biggest influence on injury rates is the style of play and the size of the squad so much so that there is more correlation between injuries and the coaching team than injuries and the medical team.

All coaches, players and medical staff have to assess risks throughout the week, during and after training. Some coaches just have more options than others.

If you left out every player who wasn’t 100% you’d have 3 players ‘fit’. What other teams do, which we cannot, is to sub players off and replace them from their strong bench. Look who Fulham were able to bring on today.

If a player trains the two days before a match the most the medics can hope to influence is the number of minutes he plays.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem is players are being risked because there is little choice. That’s not the same as being run in to the ground . A slight tightness could be aggravated and is risked .

Now we have 41 points I wonder if the tactics will change.
We have 10 matches left, including Liverpool, City and Arsenal, a few nothing matches, but also Forest and Villa away and a Cup Qtr Final.

There's an obligation for the players to earn their wages and a paying audience, but maybe we'll do a little more experimenting with youth and begin to work out which players we need to sell to bring in others.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now we have 41 points I wonder if the tactics will change.
We have 10 matches left, including Liverpool, City and Arsenal, a few nothing matches, but also Forest and Villa away and a Cup Qtr Final.

There's an obligation for the players to earn their wages and a paying audience, but maybe we'll do a little more experimenting with youth and begin to work out which players we need to sell to bring in others.

It's clear that GON wants to play 4 at the back now we're safe so think they'll be some experimenting for that alone.

What a bonus it would be - in what has been a great season - if a Chirewa or Chiwome etc could genuinely break through.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just searched the 59 pages on MM for an.." PLAYERS INJURY UPDATES " thread with not one in all the pages

Can somebody start one please as I can't as been in sin bin for starting 3 threads in one day..

With Neto and Bellegarde's injuries now and Cunha and Hwang etc..

There should be a thread on MM to tell us the latest " INJURY UPDATES with big games coming up

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference in squad size has been the main advantage the big 6 have over the rest for many years now. What's happening to us has happened to many others. A club builds a very good first 11 that can compete with anyone on their day, but once injuries set in, the back up just isn't of the quality to get near the top and performances drop off. It's not just us, seen it many times. We had our neighbours saying the only difference between us was our £50m strikers. Yet that's nothing when you're playing big 6 teams with £250m+ on their bench - while we are down to teenagers with minimal experience!

Looking at our overall injury record in comparison to the rest at this level, it is very good, right up there as one of the best. I think that it is our hard running forwards who keep getting the injuries suggests that it is mainly down to how we play, nothing the medical team are doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom