Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must have been seeing something different from the North Bank Upper, but it looked like an impact injury, rather than a pull or strain. Whatever it is, a want him back in good time for Brighton.

I thought the same

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming Cunha is out against Spurs which is looking pretty certain if Hwang is also out we're going to be non existent up front.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fingers crossed it's a minor hamstring injury, I think that would be the absolute best-case scenario. Non-impact injuries are always scary though, he could have felt his knee, although if he did, you'd imagine he'd be clutching it.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact he tried to carry on even just for a couple of minutes gives me hope that it's not to bad. Anything like a pulled hamstring you know straight away that you can't carry on

I like your optimism but it's worth pointing out that Sasa played the rest of the half with a ruptured cruciate in his knee!

Look at Palace just the other day getting a lot of stick from their fans and pundits alike for playing Olise with a dodgy hammy who then went on and injured it considerably worse.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like your optimism but it's worth pointing out that Sasa played the rest of the half with a ruptured cruciate in his knee!

Look at Palace just the other day getting a lot of stick from their fans and pundits alike for playing Olise with a dodgy hammy who then went on and injured it considerably worse.
Just saying I've got hope, please don't take that away from me :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We have Hwang and neto we don’t know how long Cunha will be out yet
We’re not going to get relegated so what would be the point?
None. That was my conclusion at the end of the window, would have liked a CF and yesterday showed exactly why. However blowing a big loan fee with an overpriced obligation or whatever it would have taken for someone to sit on the bench when we basically have no danger of going down and a slim chance of Europe would have been reckless.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None. That was my conclusion at the end of the window, would have liked a CF and yesterday showed exactly why. However blowing a big loan fee with an overpriced obligation or whatever it would have taken for someone to sit on the bench when we basically have no danger of going down and a slim chance of Europe would have been reckless.
Moreso, our issues are conceding stupid goals. Far too many in the last 3 games, not to mention a hatful of easy chances our opposition have missed.

We need to focus on tightening up right now and cut out the basic errors.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why did we have a slim chance of Europe? That's the bit I don't get and can't accept.

We're four points away from 7th place now and we've lost two in three. If the players were in place, we could easily have got four points from United at home and Brentford at home.

It's a safety net from posters like you to defend the club, in my opinion.

It's the funniest bit of all my perceived negativity is that I clearly think our players are a lot better than the 'positive' posters.

This isn't me saying that we would have got Europe, but we had a chance. Hwang, Neto and Cunha is as good as any front three we're competing against.

The midfield quartet we have lack the standout individual of our rivals, but they're very effective and make us hard to play against.

Semedo and Ait-Nouri are better (or as good as) full-backs than any of our rivals and whilst our goalkeeper and centre-backs come in for criticism, Chelsea, Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle (one of the four sides are likely to finish 7th) have all conceded the same or more than us. So, after 24 games, they're on a similar level.

You may disagree, but the only area I think we're considerably weaker than those teams is our depth in the final third, and it's a massive drop down.

But I'm really not having that Europe wasn't a possibility. Even now, it should be a possibility in theory, we're only four points behind ffs! Yet I presume we all have to pretend there's no chance because it avoids asking questions.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Why did we have a slim chance of Europe? That's the bit I don't get and can't accept.

We're four points away from 7th place now and we've lost two in three. If the players were in place, we could easily have got four points from United at home and Brentford at home.

It's the funniest bit of all my perceived negativity is that I clearly think our players are a lot better than the 'positive' posters.

This isn't me saying that we would have got Europe, but we had a chance. Hwang, Neto and Cunha is as good as any front three we're competing against.

The midfield quartet we have lack the standout individual of our rivals, but they're very effective and make us hard to play against.

Semedo and Ait-Nouri are better (or as good as) full-backs than any of our rivals and whilst our goalkeeper and centre-backs come in for criticism, Chelsea, Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle (one of the four sides are likely to finish 7th) have all conceded the same or more than us. So, after 24 games, they're on a similar level.

You may disagree, but the only area I think we're considerably weaker than those teams is our depth in the final third, and it's a massive drop down.

But I'm really not having that Europe wasn't a possibility. Even now, it should be a possibility in theory, we're only four points behind ffs! Yet I presume we all have to pretend there's no chance because it avoids asking questions.
OK, I said we should get a #9 in the Summer and I said it again in January. We aren't short of quality or depth up front, most teams would be delighted with Hwang, Cunha, Neto, Sarabia, Bellegarde and Fraser as attacking options. Where we do struggle for me is that teams press us and we don't have the quality you play out, or the option to go long. We also don't have the poacher type CF when good balls are put in (Hwang is the only one with striking instincts for me, despite not having the talent of Cunha or Neto). So I agree with you really, we should have bought. However if we couldn't afford (for example) a £5m loan fee for Broja, despite shifting the wages of Silva and Kaladjic off the books, then I understand that (frustrating as it is) we just couldn't get anyone in worth having.

My comments about a slim chance of Europe are probably a bit negative after yesterday, but I had a look, can't find 'top 7' odds, but we are 11/4 to finish top half!

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming Cunha is out against Spurs which is looking pretty certain if Hwang is also out we're going to be non existent up front.
On what basis are you saying Cunha and Hwang will be out for Tottenham
I would say we will know a lot more in a few days so until then not got a clue if both or one of them will be fit for Saturday

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK, I said we should get a #9 in the Summer and I said it again in January. We aren't short of quality or depth up front, most teams would be delighted with Hwang, Cunha, Neto, Sarabia, Bellegarde and Fraser as attacking options. Where we do struggle for me is that teams press us and we don't have the quality you play out, or the option to go long. We also don't have the poacher type CF when good balls are put in (Hwang is the only one with striking instincts for me, despite not having the talent of Cunha or Neto). So I agree with you really, we should have bought. However if we couldn't afford (for example) a £5m loan fee for Broja, despite shifting the wages of Silva and Kaladjic off the books, then I understand that (frustrating as it is) we just couldn't get anyone in worth having.

My comments about a slim chance of Europe are probably a bit negative after yesterday, but I had a look, can't find 'top 7' odds, but we are 11/4 to finish top half!

Fair enough, I totally disagree with most teams would be delighted with those players, so we won't find a common ground on this point. I think Cunha and Neto are brilliant, Hwang is very good, Sarabia is good but the other two are unproven if we're being generous. So, four suitable attacking players for three positions is clearly the issue, in my opinion.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Fair enough, I totally disagree with most teams would be delighted with those players, so we won't find a common ground on this point. I think Cunha and Neto are brilliant, Hwang is very good, Sarabia is good but the other two are unproven if we're being generous. So, four suitable attacking players for three positions is clearly the issue, in my opinion.
Well two brilliant players and a very good one isn't too bad. On the other hand I was doing my nut in August that the squad was too thin and a few injuries would see us fighting relegation - that was when I still had some hopes for Sasa and Silva, so I'm not saying you don't have a point, just making the most of what we can afford. The reasons we can't afford more have been done to death.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score

I thought the season was over?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It happened infront of me and I noticed that Cunha indicated he needed to be subbed immediately, which I took to be a rather bad sign?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
It happened infront of me and I noticed that Cunha indicated he needed to be subbed immediately, which I took to be a rather bad sign?
Don't really understand that. Was the injury not the same one he initially went down for close to their box, but carried on with to see if it felt OK? Assumed he signalled to go off because he was still feeling it.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont think its any kind of safety net for posters to be saying we have a slim chance of Europe
Ofc we still have a chance,theres a lot of points to play for,but i think most would agree its poor form from those above like WHam and Brighton that give us that chance
Newcastle seem to be turning their form around now and the rest are too far in front imo

Most are saying GON and therefore the team are over achieving based on the squad and lack of depth there in
We all know how the finances are and thats just where we are,ifs and buts dont change reality

I dont even know if we really want Europe next season
The big loss making seasons will still be on the books, and we would almost certainly fail EUFA FFP rules again
Meaning another big fine or maybe worse being the second time we would have done so

Im not suggesting we are throwing games by any means,but its got to be a consideration surely
I believe it will be 2 more seasons before we can invest heavily again, and until that point just keeping in this league and wheeling and dealing has to be the priority imo

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

'Slim chance' is correct though. Highly unlikely we finish top six, unlikely we finish top seven (although there's a chance) and even then 7th might not get Europe

We still have a slim chance, but this is the same as the fabled West Brom 'business decision'. Do you push the boat out for a player who may enhance your slim chance of qualifying and if you do, you might break even on that player deal, or do you accept that even with the player, you probably won't make Europe, so no point splashing out for a few months of forlorn hope that you might end up regretting

Keep your funds and rebuild with a plan in the summer. Frustrating as hell as a fan when it's almost in touching distance but it's the reality of it. A failed investment sends us backwards, and the odds aren't/weren't in our favour for it to succeed

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't really understand that. Was the injury not the same one he initially went down for close to their box, but carried on with to see if it felt OK? Assumed he signalled to go off because he was still feeling it.
He did the sub gesture immediately and looked in some pain (and perhaps a little upset). I wasn't totally sure what he'd done exactly or how tbh. Bellegarde I noticed was then sent straight out to warm up and was called back to the dugout to get ready to come on after about a minute. Cunha then got up and from what I saw O'Neil seemed to then be asking him if he should bring the sub on and Cunha I think was suggesting he'd see if he could run on it. He tried for perhaps a split second and then gestured back to O'Neil to come off. Thats as I saw it anyhow?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Technically it happened in front of everyone there then.
Well technically yes, but like I say, I could see him gesture to the bench straight away because it happened near to the Billy Wright and directly in my eyeline from where I was sitting. I'm not sure you could see that everywhere in the ground? My mates sat in the south bank side of the steve bull upper certainly didn't.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He did the sub gesture immediately and looked in some pain (and perhaps a little upset). I wasn't totally sure what he'd done exactly or how tbh. Bellegarde I noticed was then sent straight out to warm up and was called back to the dugout to get ready to come on after about a minute. Cunha then got up and from what I saw O'Neil seemed to then be asking him if he should bring the sub on and Cunha I think was suggesting he'd see if he could run on it. He tried for perhaps a split second and then gestured back to O'Neil to come off. Thats as I saw it anyhow?
As a separate incident to when he went down after Collins (I think) tackled him near the edge of their box? I was a bit surprised when they said hamstring as I thought he'd maybe done his ankle a bit initially, and was asked to see how it was. Maybe a completely separate injury?

Back
Top Bottom