Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Astute tactical knowledge from Gary again, and Melchiot is right; we absolutely reamed them down their left.

It's kind of a shame the second goal was deflected because that was just Gary's tactics doing Poch proper. So naive from Chelsea to let Neto be screaming down the left like that from a state where they should have been set. That first time Dawson switch was so good.

Gorgeous team goal.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's kind of a shame the second goal was deflected because that was just Gary's tactics doing Poch proper. So naive from Chelsea to let Neto be screaming down the left like that from a state where they should have been set. That first time Dawson switch was so good.

Gorgeous team goal.
The clip Wolves posted showing the whole move was so good, but would be even better if could get a nice high view of it.
It’s a pretty standard diagonal switch move, which Liverpool use an awful lot because of their pace in wide areas and long passing abilities at the back.
It’s another reason why RAN is so vital to how we play. His ability in tight spaces played a big part in holding that possession on the left flank, sucking all the Chelsea players over…then boom, Dawson gets to hit the high and wide Semedo in acres of space.
Semedo, Sarabia, Neto can do the same on our right flank. (Which is why we should be able to forgive Semedo’s quite frequent lack of end product, because his touch, short game and athleticism open up the pitch so much).
When you’ve got Doc on his wrong side, or Bueno, plus Toti trying to hold possession while being swarmed by opponents, it doesn’t tend to go as smoothly.

It’s by having that threat and ability on both sides that are causing a lot of teams problems.
Further reading, check out ‘how football works: diagonals’ on the athletic.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That second goal was classy despite the deflection, 18 passes and did anyone notice that Neto was put in by an actual forward pass by Semedo, maybe not the most difficult pass but not sure he would have even attempted it before this season.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
I've watched the 90 minutes off the Chelsea website. Do any other clubs put whole games on the internet?

Just got to say how impressive Wolves were.

What I really like is they're attacking in a number of different ways. The first they pressed Caicedo, the second that great possession move with Dawson's "ave it" ball.

They are clearly actively looking to set RAN, Cunha, Neto and Nelson clear into space. One day, they'll measure attacking contribution in a more sophisicated way than "assist" to reflect what Sumedo does. He gets the team upfield with his runs as well as being the
pre-assister.

There was a great moment when Doyle had been flattened by Chilwell and was getting attention. The game started and it flashed to GON on the touchline still showing Cunha, who only had eyes and ears for Gary, a tactical snippet.

GON and coaches were an interesting contrast to Poch and his team, who were happy and then unhappy to sit nonchalently.

It's often seen as micro-managing and interfering a manager sending so many messages on. But it really seems to be working and clearly getting results for the team and individual players.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I've watched the 90 minutes off the Chelsea website. Do any other clubs put whole games on the internet?

Just got to say how impressive Wolves were.

What I really like is they're attacking in a number of different ways. The first they pressed Caicedo, the second that great possession move with Dawson's "ave it" ball.

They are clearly actively looking to set RAN, Cunha, Neto and Nelson clear into space. One day, they'll measure attacking contribution in a more sophisicated way than "assist" to reflect what Sumedo does. He gets the team upfield with his runs as well as being the
pre-assister.

There was a great moment when Doyle had been flattened by Chilwell and was getting attention. The game started and it flashed to GON on the touchline still showing Cunha, who only had eyes and ears for Gary, a tactical snippet.

GON and coaches were an interesting contrast to Poch and his team, who were happy and then unhappy to sit nonchalently.

It's often seen as micro-managing and interfering a manager sending so many messages on. But it really seems to be working and clearly getting results for the team and individual players.
Weirdly we do, but they don't exactly publisice it! I only found out because @gullykular explained how he uses it to produce analytical clips for his excellent tactical insights.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score

And here's how we've got Cunha into this run of form!
Really interesting, Gully.

I just love the different ways we are getting Cunha and Neto the ball in space.

And committing those extra bodies into the box is paying dividends - they must do a lot of work on how they recover defensive formation from these attacks and a great reflection on players' fitness to make the recovery runs!

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Posted this elsewhere but since when did we have this - fantastic
Since when did we have this

Immense

Neto age23

3 goals - 12 assists (not many games)

View attachment 40333

Cunha Age 24

11 goals 7 assists

View attachment 40335

Hwang 28

11 goals 3 assists

View attachment 40336

25 goals - 22 assists... about average 24 games. Thanks boys!
We are progressive and looking good and this isnt even looking at sarabia who basically is in top 10 for attacking play (progressive passes, chance creation)

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking
Would GoN have improved adama if he had renewed his contract?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good read

This is not a pure counter-attacking team - they rank 12th for possession. But they are in the top half for direct attacks, transitions entering the final third and drives into the box - metrics that hint at their pace. No team has completed more dribbles

A combination of international commitments, injuries and suspensions means that the side that beat Manchester City has only been seen for 45 minutes since, in the draw with Aston Villa. If this small squad can stay fit then that 60-year goal record will be broken.

And the reputation of Gary O'Neil will continue to grow.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Good read

This is not a pure counter-attacking team - they rank 12th for possession. But they are in the top half for direct attacks, transitions entering the final third and drives into the box - metrics that hint at their pace. No team has completed more dribbles

A combination of international commitments, injuries and suspensions means that the side that beat Manchester City has only been seen for 45 minutes since, in the draw with Aston Villa. If this small squad can stay fit then that 60-year goal record will be broken.

And the reputation of Gary O'Neil will continue to grow.
This is the thing for me. I was at Stamford Bridge when we nearly won with a classic Nuno performance, a goal on the break and absolute solid defence, just a moment of magic from Hazard got them a draw. Sunday wasn't remotely like that, they had more possession as you'd imagine for a home team behind for most of the game, but we went toe to toe with them, Lemina and Gomes controlled the middle of the pitch.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched this and was about to share. Above everything else, Gary O'Neil has instilled belief. Cunha's stats in this analysis are extraordinary when comparing last season to this.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am excited to see what these numbers look like at the end of the season. Is Cunha going for 30 g+a? Will channy keep scoring?

It's just fun. I have said this a few times, but a team you fancy to bounce back after they concede is a rare joy.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was Nuno rather than the players
.... and there once again we hear the sort of comment about our most successful head coach for 50 years (I.e. that he was in some way holding the team back rather than the architect of its success) that led to his leaving and being replaced by that utter fraud Lage.

It was damned silly then. To say it now with the benefit of hindsight is obtuse and frankly ridiculous.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
.... and there once again we hear the sort of comment about our most successful head coach for 50 years (I.e. that he was in some way holding the team back rather than the architect of its success) that led to his leaving and being replaced by that utter fraud Lage.

It was damned silly then. To say it now with the benefit of hindsight is obtuse and frankly ridiculous.
Calm down

It was in the context of the post about our centre mids not going into the box, which they famously didn't under Nuno! It's not a criticism of Nuno, it's a fact, and nothing about it reflects the success or otherwise of Nuno's time with us.

Stop looking for a fight where there is none.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Calm down

It was in the context of the post about our centre mids not going into the box, which they famously didn't under Nuno! It's not a criticism of Nuno, it's a fact, and nothing about it reflects the success or otherwise of Nuno's time with us.

Stop looking for a fight where there is none.
Thank you for the explanation. Your initial post hit a still sore spot, particularly when there are certain individuals on the Mix who were vociferous in their criticism of Nuno with exactly that sort of comment and have more recently sought to rewrite history.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. Your initial post hit a still sore spot, particularly when there are certain individuals on the Mix who were vociferous in their criticism of Nuno with exactly that sort of comment and have more recently sought to rewrite history.
You can try to re-write history if you want, but Neves and Moutinho didn't venture into the box much. Nuno would have instructed them how to play. If Nuno wanted them to attack the box, they would have. These are facts.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can try to re-write history if you want, but Neves and Moutinho didn't venture into the box much. Nuno would have instructed them how to play. If Nuno wanted them to attack the box, they would have. These are facts.
We usually played with three midfielders. It is certainly true that the third, often but not always Donk, was the one most often pushed forward.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Nuno tried to play Lemina and Gomes like Neves and Moutinho, it would not have gone very well. If Gary tried to play Neves and Moutinho like Lemina and Gomes, I don't think that would be very good. The players just have different qualities. (I think Doyle could do either system).

Moutinho vs Gomes especially. You don't want Moutinho running back after the ball because he's been bypassed. For Gomes, that might just be hunting.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno tried to play Lemina and Gomes like Neves and Moutinho, it would not have gone very well. If Gary tried to play Neves and Moutinho like Lemina and Gomes, I don't think that would be very good. The players just have different qualities. (I think Doyle could do either system).

Moutinho vs Gomes especially. You don't want Moutinho running back after the ball because he's been bypassed. For Gomes, that might just be hunting.
The Everton game with Gomes and Doyle we ripped them apart probably the best home display this season

Not slating Lemina but it was remarkable performance

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was Nuno rather than the players

I'm not so sure because Moutinho, for example, was never a goal scorer. How he played for us was how he played for Portugal. Presumably for his other clubs, too. If anything, the rest of the team was worked around Moutinho and Neves, mainly their lack of pace.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The whole ethos and approach to pressing is completely different.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the thing for me. I was at Stamford Bridge when we nearly won with a classic Nuno performance, a goal on the break and absolute solid defence, just a moment of magic from Hazard got them a draw. Sunday wasn't remotely like that, they had more possession as you'd imagine for a home team behind for most of the game, but we went toe to toe with them, Lemina and Gomes controlled the middle of the pitch.
I would also say the win vs Man City was very different to those we’d achieved previously. It never felt like a complete backs to the wall nick a goal game.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved neves and moutinho to pieces but they as a two did hold us back especially at the end

With all respect, Neves and Moutinho were playing with instructions and game plans from other managers.
Neves and Moutinho were brilliant servants for the club and in my opinion, they never held us back, but the different tactics from those in charge held them back.
We were blessed by both of their presence, in wearing the Old Gold shirt for so long.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
With all respect, Neves and Moutinho were playing with instructions and game plans from other managers.
Neves and Moutinho were brilliant servants for the club and in my opinion, they never held us back, but the different tactics from those in charge held them back.
We were blessed by both of their presence, in wearing the Old Gold shirt for so long.
We'd be here for ever analysing it to be honest. Like many I increasingly came to the conclusion that the defence was too deep because of Coady's lack of pace, so Neves was deep and therefore the whole team relied on a lot of pace up top. There's a bit of that still with Dawson, but nowhere near as much. People say Neves lack of pace was an issue, but I always remember that game against Liverpool where he played box to box, best midfield performance I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom