Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not financially feasible because of the revenue differences between us and the perceived "top six". On average, they have significantly more money to spend in every single transfer window. Everything has to go right for you to have a chance. Newcastle and Villa have shown it's possible as a one-off, but to sustain it while balancing the demands of Champions League is exceptionally tough, as Newcastle have shown.

That's also depending on those "top six" clubs being absolutely useless with their transfers - i.e. Man United and Chelsea this season. The realistic ceiling is 7th place, with the odd season of pushing for the Champions League if you consistently strike gold in the transfer market.
Unfortunately we all know but what I was asking is what the Club‘s goals are.
Hate to think that silverware may not be of any or very little importance to the club.

Or are we taking the slow but steady approach……take a few seasons to buy and sell, get some loot in the coffers and then start keeping our best players and then who knows?

I took JL’s signing and his many assistants as a sign of ambition for the club. Hard to know what to make of it all.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are miles off the top 4 in every way
Top 6 is a big stretch
I know points wise we are not miles away at this stage, but we are 14 points behind Villa and 13 points above Luton
We have a very outside chance of Europe in the league,realistically more like top 10
We dont win enough games,and our recent good run will no doubt come to an end soon,and could easily be a bad run round the corner
We are a good mid table team, and i think for the next couple of seasons Fosun are are happy to tread water and get the big losses off the board
I see your point.
But at this stage after half a season we are more likely to get to Europe this year , than next year . So get a semi- decent centre forward in and try . We have climbed to a good base camp.
Whereas in line with your view of our place in the world, a summer after selling Neto , probably Sarabia and maybe Kilman we will rebuild a team with less chance of a top ten place .

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately we all know but what I was asking is what the Club‘s goals are.
Hate to think that silverware may not be of any or very little importance to the club.

Or are we taking the slow but steady approach……take a few seasons to buy and sell, get some loot in the coffers and then start keeping our best players and then who knows?

I took JL’s signing and his many assistants as a sign of ambition for the club. Hard to know what to make of it all.

Silverware just for the glory? Can’t see Fosun willing to take any financial risk for that. Where’s the financial return?

Silverware as a means to open up a new revenue stream through qualification for Europe, and greater brand recognition, sure I can see some investment to achieve that.

Everything Fosun does at Wolves is considered through the perspective of financial return. It’s not a vanity project, or sports washing.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you think that makes a difference crack on - it’s just that they are having poor season we are having a good one.
No player in their right mind would think wolves are bigger than Man Utd it’s ridiculous
Re your last para not since the 50s/60s....

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you think that makes a difference crack on - it’s just that they are having poor season we are having a good one.
No player in their right mind would think wolves are bigger than Man Utd it’s ridiculous
That's fair, but a player also has to work out how he will fit in and how much playing time he is likely to get. Man U have a lot of players, lots of expensive players that will moan if they don't get selected. At Wolves he will get plenty of time on the pitch to show what he can do, before deciding on a move in the summer.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
That's fair, but a player also has to work out how he will fit in and how much playing time he is likely to get. Man U have a lot of players, lots of expensive players that will moan if they don't get selected. At Wolves he will get plenty of time on the pitch to show what he can do, before deciding on a move in the summer.
Yes that’s all true but it’s undeniable that despite league position at this moment Man Utd are still a massive club.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe you could be smack on the money here.
That's why the next few days are important. If we can’t pull out a few stops to support GON why the **** will that change come summer . FFP is not going to stop a loan today with an option to buy. And I reckon GON agreed to Sasa and Silva leaving trusting a Number 9 would be bought.
I think it's silly we let both go out, but I can't see us getting anything.
I don't see what stops we can pull out really; getting a centre forward that is good enough and want to come and be a squad player for a team that's eleventh and has no European competition isn't easy with money, let alone without any. I think it was foolish letting both of them go.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
People saying it was silly to let Sasa and Fabio leave haven't watched either on their loans. You can't play either guy in the Prem and expect to compete out of possession. The only thing Sasa can do is what he was doing...which isn't nothing, but how much worse is Fraser as a last ten minutes sub?

Sasa cannot move right now. It's great that Frankfurt are trying to play him into fitness, but he looks rough. He is flat-footed so often that I wonder if his knees are painful and that keeps him off his toes....it's bad.

And Fabio just isn't an EPL player, and he won't be.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a better forward line than man united right now. They have spend a lot but its been on potential(and Antony). McTominay is there top scorer ffs!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a better forward line than man united right now. They have spend a lot but its been on potential(and Antony). McTominay is there top scorer ffs!
I agree, but they still have Rashford, Martial, Hojlund, Garnacho and Anthony to choose from. Etikite has to gamble that he can get into their forward line.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's silly we let both go out, but I can't see us getting anything.
I don't see what stops we can pull out really; getting a centre forward that is good enough and want to come and be a squad player for a team that's eleventh and has no European competition isn't easy with money, let alone without any. I think it was foolish letting both of them go.
The bar wasnt very high .
We just had to find one better than Silva and Sasa . Using their combined salary saving.

mroli74

Reaction score
Whilst we talk about Fosun trying to get a return (which I don't think they are trying to do, i think they are trying to make the club sustainable and self-funding, which is different but also not massively exciting!) I thought it'd be good to remind people of this post by Spiers on The Athletic: https://archive.ph/20230106081307/https://theathletic.com/1591492/2020/02/11/wolves-chelsea-u23-strategy/#selection-487.52-487.63

I think it is really interesting for looking at the players mentioned - some of who we had high hopes for and where their careers have gone:
Bruno Jordao - bad injuries and 3 years of loans, probably seeing out contract
Pedro Neto - Star boy. Worth billions(!)
Meritan Shabani - I think he's done his ACL twice now and is at Grasshoppers
Enzo Loiodice - never really joined us as he got bumped by COVID
Leonardo Campana - I think we made a couple of million on him and he's still with Inter Miami
Renat Dadashov - Another Grasshopper move, think he's on loan in Turkey now
Raphael Nya - went to France, not sure what he's doing.
Nigel Lonwijk - Been on a few loans - a lot of game time at Plymouth but injured at Grasshoppers and back at Wolves.
Justin Hubner - Played more games for Indonesia than he has at Wolves.
Owen Otasowie - I mean who knows. Sold him to Brugge for decent money £4m? and he just went missing.
Luke Matheson - Series of lower league loans ended up with him signing for Bolton's B team.
Benny Ashley-Seal - Left Wolves (no fee) last played last year in Scotland for Hamilton - not sure if he's got a club now.
Taylor Perry - At Shrewsbury now and doing ok?
Dion Sanderson - Sold to Blues and doing well there - £2.3m?
Oskar Buur Rasmussen - Played for Wolves in the Prem and in Europe but was released without a fee.

I don't mean this to be mean or harsh - but I think it just shows how HARD it is to make it as a top level professional player. You could say that the return on Neto pays for an entire youth policy - but the impact of injuries, bad moves, bad decisions and just the sheer unrelenting nature of trying to make it shows that investing money in football is very very hard. If Neto's injuries had proved too much for him - this would make pretty grim reading. Maybe Dion, Owen and Leonardo would keep the investment neutral and loan fees help as well....

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst we talk about Fosun trying to get a return (which I don't think they are trying to do, i think they are trying to make the club sustainable and self-funding, which is different but also not massively exciting!) I thought it'd be good to remind people of this post by Spiers on The Athletic: https://archive.ph/20230106081307/h...chelsea-u23-strategy/#selection-487.52-487.63

I think it is really interesting for looking at the players mentioned - some of who we had high hopes for and where their careers have gone:
Leonardo Campana - I think we made a couple of million on him and he's still with Inter Miami
Nigel Lonwijk - Been on a few loans - a lot of game time at Plymouth but injured at Grasshoppers and back at Wolves.
Owen Otasowie - I mean who knows. Sold him to Brugge for decent money £4m? and he just went missing.
Luke Matheson - Series of lower league loans ended up with him signing for Bolton's B team.
Benny Ashley-Seal - Left Wolves (no fee) last played last year in Scotland for Hamilton - not sure if he's got a club now.
Oskar Buur Rasmussen - Played for Wolves in the Prem and in Europe but was released without a fee.

I don't mean this to be mean or harsh - but I think it just shows how HARD it is to make it as a top level professional player. You could say that the return on Neto pays for an entire youth policy - but the impact of injuries, bad moves, bad decisions and just the sheer unrelenting nature of trying to make it shows that investing money in football is very very hard. If Neto's injuries had proved too much for him - this would make pretty grim reading. Maybe Dion, Owen and Leonardo would keep the investment neutral and loan fees help as well....
Enso Gonzales seems to have disappeared too and we paid relatively big bucks. Hopeful to see how he develops for us.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enso Gonzales seems to have disappeared too and we paid relatively big bucks. Hopeful to see how he develops for us.

He's on international duty with Paraguay's under 23's taking part in the South American Olympic qualifcation. Paraguay top their group atm. If they get through his last game is 11th February

Madmalc

Reaction score
Not long to go until this window closes.
Everyone seems more relaxed about the slow transfer market, apart from some clubs who may be trying to balance their books for the 2023/4 and 2024/5 season.
This window has been stranger than usual so far.
Some Journalists are so out of the picture that they keep linking the teams facing punishment for FFP breaches with big price tag players..
Is it just 48 hours to the close of this window?

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst we talk about Fosun trying to get a return (which I don't think they are trying to do, i think they are trying to make the club sustainable and self-funding, which is different but also not massively exciting!) I thought it'd be good to remind people of this post by Spiers on The Athletic: https://archive.ph/20230106081307/h...chelsea-u23-strategy/#selection-487.52-487.63

Max kilman, Bueno, Toti, mosquera, not sure if we can count ait nouri

Goncalves, mir obv went on to have great careers but we didn't benefit much.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue with Ekitike is more likely going to be him not wanting to take a pay cut rather than just not fancying Wolves. Utd would cover his wages no problem, come to Wolves and he'd need to take over a 50% pay cut. Can't blame him for holding out, he and his agent will know how desperate most clubs are for Strikers nowadays.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue with Ekitike is more likely going to be him not wanting to take a pay cut rather than just not fancying Wolves. Utd would cover his wages no problem, come to Wolves and he'd need to take over a 50% pay cut. Can't blame him for holding out, he and his agent will know how desperate most clubs are for Strikers nowadays.

United want him?! Why?

Last I heard, he was going to a **** German team who surely won't be paying a lot in wages.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is.
Lots of clubs looking for loans and many hanging on until the Summer at the earliest to buy anyone.

A striker on loan would be great.
no one has any money. they are also all terrified of falling player valuations because that also affects profits and consequently the rules could be broken. we might fin that last summer was the peak of prices for quite a while. Glad we sold nunes

Back
Top Bottom