Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea's strategy was to buy and hold those players. To build a team with the potential to grow and develop into a great team together.

While they sell off the academy players like Gallagher, Broja and Colwill to fund the costs with pure profit.

They've been ridiculed a lot this season, but we won't really know for another couple of seasons whether it was a very clever long-term strategy. Particularly given the backdrop of everything else that's going on with other clubs.
Let’s hope it’s too late by then

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my nephews is based in Dubai but has to go to Saudi regularly for business. Hates it.
I was mainly in Abu Dhabi, living in the Staybridge Suites on Yas Island, in Saudi we stayed in a company residential camp. Very good facilities, but no comparison to life on Yas.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
It would be wonderful to see. They could return to being that club from South West London who in the seventies and eighties spent about equal time in the second tier as the top.

Living down here in one of the main breeding habitats for the species known as Sky Six Supporters ( the South West to give the correct geographical term ! ) the thought of all those middle aged Chelsea fans who claim to have always followed them but cannot recall anyone called Peter Osgood, Alan Hudson or Charlie Cook playing for them joining their fellow glory hunting Manure muppets in filling their Charity Bags full of gear is one to bring me a great deal of joy !!!!
I remember that side so well. Sadly one of them, Tommy Baldwin, passed away this week. John Hollins died last year. Peter Osgood had a heart attack at a family funeral and died. Peter Houseman was killed along with his wife and two friends in a car crash caused by a drunk driver. Alan Hudson was knocked down by a car and ended up in a homeless hostel. Peter Bonetti died after a long illness. Terry Venables also died not so long ago.

Last edited:

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Refused to watch it but the title of Toffee TV's latest offering is:

"Everton's fight is everyone's fight - Andy Burnham special"

It got me thinking if their fight to blow £500m on junk since 2016 was also for everyone else's benefit, or perhaps just their own.

Looking at net spends this last three years, many others are going to be selling big in the summer. Villa and Bournemouth (amongst others) are going to be severely weakened as they are forced to balance the books.

I cannot see every star asset wanting to go to Saudi, given the amount of players that are voting with their feet by leaving their league. I cannot see any Premier league club automatically spending top dollar to acquire any of them, either.

Wolves are in an excellent position to take advantage of this situation, which is why I don't want to see us blowing £45m on a striker this window - especially one with a bad injury record.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Refused to watch it but the title of Toffee TV's latest offering is:

"Everton's fight is everyone's fight - Andy Burnham special"

It got me thinking if their fight to blow £500m on junk since 2016 was also for everyone else's benefit, or perhaps just their own.

Looking at net spends this last three years, many others are going to be selling big in the summer. Villa and Bournemouth (amongst others) are going to be severely weakened as they are forced to balance the books.

I cannot see every star asset wanting to go to Saudi, given the amount of players that are voting with their feet by leaving their league. I cannot see any Premier league club automatically spending top dollar to acquire any of them, either.

Wolves are in an excellent position to take advantage of this situation, which is why I don't want to see us blowing £45m on a striker this window - especially one with a bad injury record.
Too true plus comes summer the £50m strikers going for £10m due to coming ffp restrictions would be just up our street

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too true plus comes summer the £50m strikers going for £10m due to coming ffp restrictions would be just up our street

Loads of out of contract, experienced strikers this summer....

Che Adams
Mehdi Taremi
Wissam Ben Yedder
Danny Welbeck

Then loads too with 1 year left on their deals, some with PL experience....

Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Odsomme Eduard
Callum Wilson
Jonathan David
Enes Unal
Youssef En-Nesyri

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another thing to look out for in the future will be swap deals.

For example, Arsenal and Chelsea might both have a player worth £50m on the market.

Arsenal sell their player to Chelsea for £50m, Chelsea put it through the books as £10m per year for 5 years.

Chelsea then sell their player to Arsenal for the same price, Arsenal put it through the books as £10m per year for 5 years too.

Both clubs have the same value of player, with no money changing hands in reality, but both clubs have also made an accounting profit of £40m for that year in isolation (ignoring any existing amortised cost).

It's what Juventus were doing in Italy, but not what they were busted for. It was claimed they were inflating the value of certain players within swap deals, but they successfully argued that values are subjective, so how can it be proven that they are inflated? But new evidence came to light to suggest this was a calculated effort to cook the books, so I guess they must have had messages that said that.

But the theory of how it works for accounting purposes stacks up. Just make sure it's watertight and done on players of similar value.

Neto for Smith Rowe and Nketiah anyone?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loads of out of contract, experienced strikers this summer....

Che Adams
Mehdi Taremi
Wissam Ben Yedder
Danny Welbeck

Then loads too with 1 year left on their deals, some with PL experience....

Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Odsomme Eduard
Callum Wilson
Jonathan David
Enes Unal
Youssef En-Nesyri
I can see Palace panicking a bit with there situation and getting someone in on a big loan or something.....So somebody like Eduard or even Matetta could become available possible.....it's the same if Fulham bring someone in , then Vinicious will probably become available.....I'm not say these players are brilliant, just highlighting how things can change very quickly....and loans become available...

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I can't get remotely near €84m, unless they are just counting anyone who played for us when they were u23?
They/clubs could include estimated or even inflated realised sell on clauses?

Or other add ons for winning titles or caps etc. Every one of our low level outgoings of a youngster could have a big fee payable on certain things like international caps etc

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how many unmarried parents there are here that you've just insulted.
Me and my partner have been engaged for 19 years, have 2 kids and in 4th house. I couldn't give a hoot if it bothers some ignoramus that we aren't married.

Marriage is a scam this day in age, both in cost and what you stand to lose if goes wrong.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how Ronaldo is managing seeing as he isn't married to the mother of his children (yet another thing I dislike about him).

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair enough, cultural differences re: marriage. I am sorry for offending some on here.

Fwiw, the reason I pick Ronaldo out is because I think he implicitly bathes himself in conservative values as part of his image. Hence why someone like piers Morgan loves him.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and my partner have been engaged for 19 years, have 2 kids and in 4th house. I couldn't give a hoot if it bothers some ignoramus that we aren't married.

Marriage is a scam this day in age, both in cost and what you stand to lose if goes wrong.
As the person has acknowledged, it was not a good comment.

It's a shame however that you used your reply to comment yourself on marriage. Each to their own, "scam" is a ridiculous word to use for those who choose that way.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was mainly in Abu Dhabi, living in the Staybridge Suites on Yas Island, in Saudi we stayed in a company residential camp. Very good facilities, but no comparison to life on Yas.
I spent years in Oman. Fabulous place to live. Bahrain used to be great, now ruined by development. The UAE for me is traffic filled and plastic. But all of the above are a million miles preferable to Saudi which is horrible on every level.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

22 years unmarried and 3 kids with my missus, whilst virtually all of my married friends and some relatives have long since separated.
If it ain't broke....!!!

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the person has acknowledged, it was not a good comment.

It's a shame however that you used your reply to comment yourself on marriage. Each to their own, "scam" is a ridiculous word to use for those who choose that way.
opinions are like ass-holes, we all have one. That's my opinion.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Will it be 10 points for a second failure to comply with FFP or more?
Will many clubs spend money this transfer window?
Will any chairman help out a rival club by buying a player before the 1st of July in the Summer window?
If Forest or Everton buy anyone in this transfer window how will that be viewed prior to their punishments being set?
FFP is also biting across UEFA, and seems to be a real cat amongst the pigeons.

Last edited:

Wombourne Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bournemouth must be the next heading for serious issues unless they have a firesale in the summer?
Looking at transfermarkt their net spend is £126m this season and £83m in 22/23. I haven't checked contracts lengths etc but they must be borderline now and the summer will be interesting.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough, cultural differences re: marriage. I am sorry for offending some on here.

Fwiw, the reason I pick Ronaldo out is because I think he implicitly bathes himself in conservative values as part of his image. Hence why someone like piers Morgan loves him.
No one is offended. People have different opinions.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bournemouth must be the next heading for serious issues unless they have a firesale in the summer?
Looking at transfermarkt their net spend is £126m this season and £83m in 22/23. I haven't checked contracts lengths etc but they must be borderline now and the summer will be interesting.

I want Solanke. But I'm sure a lot of other clubs do too.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Plus their turnover must be a lot lower than most, with a 10k stadium.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chair of the government's Culture, Media and Sport Committee has asked Richard Masters, CEO of the PL, for a copy of the minutes of the meeting at which Everton was given the 10 point deduction, according to the Beeb. Everton are not going quietly...

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chair of the government's Culture, Media and Sport Committee has asked Richard Masters, CEO of the PL, for a copy of the minutes of the meeting at which Everton was given the 10 point deduction, according to the Beeb. Everton are not going quietly...
I do wonder just how many other clubs would have had MP’s bringing the matter up in parliament and stuff like this? Have people completely forgotten how they were spending money and not reading about how seriously they were taking the rules?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder just how many other clubs would have had MP’s bringing the matter up in parliament and stuff like this? Have people completely forgotten how they were spending money and not reading about how seriously they were taking the rules?
I don't think Everton have got a prayer. However, if Everton get nailed, how are they going to spin letting City and Chelsea off? If they act proportionately City would be sent to the bottom of league 2 and asked to apply for reelection!

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've admitted guilt to the charges but are presumably arguing the punishment. As they could be looking at another 10 points I can understand the concern.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Can't see a problem with it though, much as I think Everton's punishment is probably correct, the opacity of the process is very poor.

Reaction score
I have a feeling Everton’s appeal will see their original 10 point deduction reduced to 6, then this second punishment either being 4 or 6 points, so minimal effect

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Should have nothing to do with politicians.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Everton have got a prayer. However, if Everton get nailed, how are they going to spin letting City and Chelsea off? If they act proportionately City would be sent to the bottom of league 2 and asked to apply for reelection!
The PL can do more than expel Citeh or Chavski. What happens to them in the EFL is up to that body.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The PL can do more than expel Citeh or Chavski. What happens to them in the EFL is up to that body.

Agreed. It maybe hinges on how the PL were to eject them. If they simply relegated them in twentieth position by deducting all their points in that season, thereby saving the 18th placed club from relegation, then unless the EFL also brings charges against them, by default they’d end up in the Championship the following season. If however the PL leaves the relegation places unchanged, and instead ejects a club from the PL, then they have no automatic right to go straight into the Championship. More likely, they’d need to apply to join the EFL, who would be entirely within their rights to say no, forcing them further down the pyramid - similar to what happens when a club goes bankrupt and reforms.

My guess it would be the former, with them relegated to the Champ, but given the scale of the charges, who knows.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. It maybe hinges on how the PL were to eject them. If they simply relegated them in twentieth position by deducting all their points in that season, thereby saving the 18th placed club from relegation, then unless the EFL also brings charges against them, by default they’d end up in the Championship the following season. If however the PL leaves the relegation places unchanged, and instead ejects a club from the PL, then they have no automatic right to go straight into the Championship. More likely, they’d need to apply to join the EFL, who would be entirely within their rights to say no, forcing them further down the pyramid - similar to what happens when a club goes bankrupt and reforms.

My guess it would be the former, with them relegated to the Champ, but given the scale of the charges, who knows.
If they end up in the chump, that's one less place in that season for the $$$$ to try and fluke their way into the prem, so it's not the worst of outcomes

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When do we find out if forest and everton will have points deducted?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When do we find out if forest and everton will have points deducted?

I think Everton's punishment has to wait until their appeal for the original punishment has been heard, so that one won't be until after the end of the season.

Forest's might be sooner, as there's no other charge getting in the way.

Could be a messy end to the season.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Cross-party Select Committee, and government department of the same name, have existed since 1997. Welcome to the real world. Sport is a big deal.
Sure, but the PL have determined that Forest and Everton have broken their rules and have recommended that an independent comittee rule on the punishments. Nothing to do with Government, and there is no Govt appointed governing body with oversight, or Govt funding of the PL, so the DCMS can say what they like, but it is not a Govt issue.

Back
Top Bottom