Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don't want to stay in Saudi for more than a season. Yes, some of the games have attendances less than than 5000 fans which is a bad look for TV.
The party is over for Saudi Arabia. The future of football lies within Europe.
Be like that for the Brentford game 5k.....if people Dow pull there fingers out and get a ticket...

mad_leaf

Reaction score
Re. New striker. With restrictions of budget through ffp and previous errors with Guedes, Fabio, Cutrone, Sasa, etc. I would think taking a punt on someone inexperienced in the Premier who may not deliver at all is a consideration for Wolves. Che Adams may not be the most exciting option but you are pretty sure what you are getting and he will deliver an improvement on the 2 strikers we have £50 million invested in and have offered a few minutes of cover (appreciate Sasa wasn't given much chance). If another mistake is made they may not have the financial flexibility to correct it any time soon. Consider a small guaranteed step forward may be better than gambling on a step backwards or two forward and a heavier financial burden. The way things are going FFP wise, it could be a buyers market in the summer with teams desperate to reduce wage bill and not being able to sell unwanted players, which could lead to unloading better players that they can sell even though they don't want to.
Long term West ham may be stuck with Ings etc on massive wages which will reduce the number of players they have which offer support to the team, which in fairness to Hobbs he has cleared out a lot of our higher earners prior to the WBA hitting the fan!
In essence clubs may look to have a higher efficiency of cost per minutes and more efficient squads with all players contributing. This way they can maximise the restricted wage budget.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Fosun appointed a number of ccp members to roles within the business last summer from what I remember reading at the time. They may or may not answer to the govt, but the govt has people working in fosun.
As they do with every major corporate. For a long time Fosun have had the closest relationship with CCP Shanghai bosses. And the 3rd most powerful politician in China is regularly seen at Fosun events, which is viewed as official endorsement. And, Guo has formed part of business delegations sent to forge links with the Middle East and France in the last six months.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Muci can play as forward, goals against the vile. Surprised no English club has made a move

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
Not seen anyone mention this, though it a long thread and in fact it may be me worrying for no reason, but does a collapse/reduction in PL transfer fees not cause our strategy more issues than have been mentioned? Our plan seems to be we buy an unpolished gem, clean them up and sell them on, then repeat, but if the PL transfers and wages are lower due to FFP then our selling point lowers but our buying doesn't, a team in Brazil doesn't give a damn about PL FFP, they will just sell to France/Germany etc...

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
Not seen anyone mention this, though it a long thread and in fact it may be me worrying for no reason, but does a collapse/reduction in PL transfer fees not cause our strategy more issues than have been mentioned? Our plan seems to be we buy an unpolished gem, clean them up and sell them on, then repeat, but if the PL transfers and wages are lower due to FFP then our selling point lowers but our buying doesn't, a team in Brazil doesn't give a damn about PL FFP, they will just sell to France/Germany etc...
Aren’t most leagues the same? look at Barcelona in La Liga, they struggle with the salary cap in place…

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
Aren’t most leagues the same? look at Barcelona in La Liga, they struggle with the salary cap in place…
That may be so but we will now have to work harder on our scouting, when everyone else is also taking it more seriously, to bring in a smaller profit. My point was that the positive of lower fees/wages may not be as good for us as is being made out.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That may be so but we will now have to work harder on our scouting, when everyone else is also taking it more seriously, to bring in a smaller profit. My point was that the positive of lower fees/wages may not be as good for us as is being made out.
It'll be the same for everyone though, so it's all relative.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree on Ings' best days being behind him. He's also probably not the right profile of striker anyway, given that GON wants a new striker despite having Sasa and Fabio at the club.

Sasa is a target man. Fabio is more of a player that likes to play on the shoulder and is probably better in a two. Sasa and Fabio would probably make a good partnership, just not for us as we have better options.

I'd put Ings in the Fabio camp in terms of the type of striker he is, so probably not the type GON is looking for, albeit, he's closer than either Fabio and Sasa.

From the types of striker we are being linked with, I think GON wants an all-rounder. Think18-19 Raul, who could run in behind, drop deep, hold the ball up, and most importantly, also find the net! Gyorkeres would have been perfect in my opinion.

Very difficult type of player to find, especially in January. Ings might be a compromise.
Random comment but re merits of Championship players such as Adams, remember there was much debate on whether Gyokeres would be able to make step up which personally thought he wasn’t worth the figures quoted but just saw that he is top of the table Sporting’s top scorer with 11 from 15 games!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If FFP is biting it will be biting now. Other clubs wont buy and will want to sell from today. So we dont have to wait until summer to pick off some well planned targets.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player to look at is Callum OHare at Coventry. Had a bad injury but back now and ripping up the championship from attacking midfield. Out of contract in the summer I think. Amazing performance against Leicester.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Latest from Molineux . Wolves have detached themselves from a move for Semih . It's thought their interest went flat as they shop around .
However so as not .....to let their fans down they may well bung a low bid in before the window closes .

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When does it get to a stage where there are so many clubs with ffp problems that people can't shift necessary numbers and are screwed? Unless Saudis step in, where is the money to resolve the problems of potentially so many clubs with very expensive assets to shift? It may just be my lack of understanding but is this a possibility?
Surely if everyone has an FFP problem then no one has a FFP problem as the clubs can just agree to re-circulate players amongst themselves to cure each others FFP problems?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m getting Guedes type vibes with this guy.

Player coming from a big club on big wages needing a lot of convincing to sign. Will he end up being as disinterested if we sign him and end up with another dud who thinks he’s above us?

I’m wondering if the club are hoping Boulaye Dia might become available and just saving in paying his wages whilst at the AFCON and sign him towards the end of the window and trying a loan with obligation kind of deal.

Presumably Dia will be on a lot lower wages and by all accounts wanted to come and play for us. Seems to me to be more of the type of profile of player to fit in with our current set up.
And likely to be a player who would want to come herre rather than be shoe horned in by certain parties.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely if everyone has an FFP problem then no one has a FFP problem as the clubs can just agree to re-circulate players amongst themselves to cure each others FFP problems?
Mendes has been doing this for years lol

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about that, wages have to be paid by someone.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don't want to stay in Saudi for more than a season. Yes, some of the games have attendances less than than 5000 fans which is a bad look for TV.
The party is over for Saudi Arabia. The future of football lies within Europe.

Agreed. The only way Saudi becomes a realistic threat is with an international league where those sides are playing the giants of Europe regularly and that isn't happening any time soon.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom