Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad said to me at the Chelsea game, we aren't good enough to play out from the back when being pressed and when we go long no-one can win and hold the ball. I make him right on this and I kind of think that Adams if physical enough and quick enough to fulfil this role - this is pretty much what GON has been saying he wants.

Che Adams wouldnt surprise me if he were a signing and I think he might get more game time than people expect.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
I really like Dia and he is a striker that would suit the way we play. If we can land him on loan with a decent obligation then that for me would be a great bit of business. Word is they want 21mil to sell. Problem may be what happened at the back end of the summer window with their president kicking off.

If we can get him with an obligation of around 16-18. Then in the summer sell Fabio/Sasa that would be perfect.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly a little sad that it hasn't worked out with Sasa. I honestly think he would score more goals if we threw him on in the last 15 of every game, but O'Neil seems to disagree.

On to Dia... or Che Adams.
Local lad, ain't he?
I agree, definitely a quality striker in the right system. GON's system clearly doesn't play to his strengths though. I think we want more dynamic forwards that can play across the front three rather than an out-and-out #9.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me,we definitely need a good centre back, we can look all over the place in defence at times and obviously a decent striker, apart from that we're ok. those two positions have got to be our priority. If I'm being greedy, another backup striker

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defoe, Shearer and Henry were discussing why old fashioned strikers don't come out of the Academies any more, I can't really remember what they said to be honest, but it does appear to be a thing. The game has changed a lot in the last few years, getting to the by-line and getting crosses in seem to be a thing of the past too!
Because of the rise of the high scoring inside forward, all the kids want to be the next Salah, Son, Mane etc.
If they’re strapping young lads with good technique, then that’s a CB or DM nowadays, rather than the archetypal #9.
It’s all cyclical, the academies have probably been trying to prioritise proper #9s over the last few years, given the dearth around.
With Haaland and Evan Ferguson doing what they are at such a young age, there will probably be a glut of such academy products (quantity not quality) in a few years time.

Like our new England ‘golden generation’. Actual technical, tactically astute players, because the FA got to copying Germany, France and Spain over a decade ago. It just takes a long time for the seeds to grow.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because of the rise of the high scoring inside forward, all the kids want to be the next Salah, Son, Mane etc.
If they’re strapping young lads with good technique, then that’s a CB or DM nowadays, rather than the archetypal #9.
It’s all cyclical, the academies have probably been trying to prioritise proper #9s over the last few years, given the dearth around.
With Haaland and Evan Ferguson doing what they are at such a young age, there will probably be a glut of such academy products (quantity not quality) in a few years time.

Like our new England ‘golden generation’. Actual technical, tactically astute players, because the FA got to copying Germany, France and Spain over a decade ago. It just takes a long time for the seeds to grow.
it is an interesting one. I always wanted to be the anchorman, I suppose because of Roy Keane. I was quite small and quick so far more Pat Nevin esque, but as I bulked up and out, I loved that position. It is interesting watching kids football now because as you say, everyone wants to be Foden etc.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it is an interesting one. I always wanted to be the anchorman, I suppose because of Roy Keane. I was quite small and quick so far more Pat Nevin esque, but as I bulked up and out, I loved that position. It is interesting watching kids football now because as you say, everyone wants to be Foden etc.
If you have moved down here just a few years earlier we could been looking at the next Shabba Rankine.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For the third year, 7th transfer window of counting - we just need a centre forward.

Playing Devil's Advocate..... do we?

Goalscoring not proving much of a problem. Front three of Hwang, Cunha and Sarabia has been doing great... now we have Neto back I can only see us scoring more goals.

I'd be prioritising a goalkeeper personally. With a couple of loans to cover the African and Asian absentees.

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Playing Devil's Advocate..... do we?

Goalscoring not proving much of a problem. Front three of Hwang, Cunha and Sarabia has been doing great... now we have Neto back I can only see us scoring more goals.

I'd be prioritising a goalkeeper personally. With a couple of loans to cover the African and Asian absentees.
I take your point but I think all of our strikers are better playing off someone. We don’t really have someone to do hold up play and bring the creative players into play. The problem we will have is how you bring in a striker and still give game time to Neto,Hwang, Cunha, Sarabia and Bellegarde. Hard to suggest any of them need dropping currently. Not a bad problem to have.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching the Southampton vs Plymouth game. I don’t see it with that winger. Also, what scam is City doing with these academy keepers they keep making a fortune with!!

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the posts over the years many on here thought you were the perfect anchormanor at least I think it was anchor !!!!!!! :D ;)

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the posts over the years many on here thought you were the perfect anchormanor at least I think it was anchor !!!!!!! :D ;)
Got me there old sparring partner :D

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t Adams be better off seeing his contract out and getting a nice big signing bonus somewhere in the summer?
It makes Southampton a more willing seller . And That’s necessary.
Adams couldn’t guarantee a better move in the summer . So I think both could go for it .

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lemina is out tomorrow and boy are we going to miss him. Would like to see another mature midfielder in the squad as long as it does not push Gomes, Traore and Doyle into the outer darkness.

Last edited:

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That first line.

Jesus wept, because things have been so bad.

You've nailed it right there, there are no available top level strikers, so unless we've got someone in the wings who can play that way then we are going to go and try and get someone who can do a job.

Moyes said the same last night as to why Bowen is playing as a no 9. A team that sits 6th.
Adams to me is second rate in terms of where we want to go as a club. He would probably get a four year contract and he is already 28. He is ideal for Sheff U, Luton and co not for us. If in the whole of world football over the past 12 months (or more) and going into the summer the club can only come up with Che Adams that is a terrible indictment of our scouting capabilities. Since Jimenez's injury we have failed to find a central striker and wasted a horriffic amount of money in the process. Guedes and Silva alone £62m for virtually nothing. I still think Sasa should be given more of a chance but it seems he does not fit in with O'Neill's plans for the team.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes ‘apparently’ injured. Can see this one happening now as at least both sides are talking.
The fact he is injured and may be away in Africa for the whole of January or more is not ideal. However there must be some room for a compromise on the fee hopefully.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When chairman Guo was seen at the last match he looked stern with no sign of Jeff shi. I wonder whether shi has fallen out of favour?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adams to me is second rate in terms of where we want to go as a club. He would probably get a four year contract and he is already 28. He is ideal for Sheff U, Luton and co not for us. If in the whole of world football over the past 12 months (or more) and going into the summer the club can only come up with Che Adams that is a terrible indictment of our scouting capabilities. Since Jimenez's injury we have failed to find a central striker and wasted a horriffic amount of money in the process. Guedes and Silva alone £62m for virtually nothing. I still think Sasa should be given more of a chance but it seems he does not fit in with O'Neill's plans for the team.
So will he get a four year contract or won't he? Or is this just something that'll suit your argument so you've run with it?

How do you know he's not ideal for us? Based on what?

How is it a terrible indictment of scouting, scouting isn't pulling someone from far away, it's about getting what is needed and what is required as specified by the manager.

Again, if it was so easy to find a striker then why are so many clubs searching? I once again note the team sitting in 6th place who's manager has admitted to have been looking for a striker for years, who's now having to settle on having to retrain a player for the position as there is none out there.

That's not a scouting problem, that's a global position problem.

Back
Top Bottom