Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why do you support Wolves?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am from a family of 11.

I had 7 brothers and 3 sisters. Sadly now 3 and 2 respectively. All born and bred in Wolvo. All of us are (or were) true Wolves fans and I have never wanted to support any other club.

Always remember my older brothers telling me about Billy Wright, Peter Broadbent, Jimmy Mullen, Johnny Hancocks, Eddie Clamp, Bill Slater, Bert Williams and so many other legends. I started supporting in the early 60’s just when the names mentioned were nearing the end of their careers. Very special mention for our truly great manager Stan Cullis who never got the recognition he truly deserved from the media. Never understood why!

Never forget the likes of Peter Knowles (what a player), Bobby Thompson, Fred Davies, Hughie Mcilmoyle, Hughie Curran, Frank Wignall, Jimmy McCalliog and the like. They were followed by Parkes, Taylor, Parkin, Bailey (best captain in my lifetime), Munro, McAlle, Carr, Hibbitt, Dougan, Richards and Wagstaffe. All legends.

Then came the likes of Peter Daniel, Andy Gray, Steve Daley and some success under John Barnwell and Richie Barker.

Bhatti era followed (they couldn’t afford to even pay the milkman) and I remember watching us beat Rochdale 2-1 at a half closed Molineux in the old Fourth Division, relying on a last minute winner from Andy Mutch in front of about 4,000 fans. That was the worst time imaginable for our great club and thanks to Councillor John Bird we survived.

Sir Jack came along and brought back the feelgood factor. Manager at the time, Brian Little, was moved on (he did a good job in very difficult circumstances and deserves a lot of credit) and Graham Turner was appointed. Bully, Thommo, Robertson and Dennison were signed from that lot down the road and the revival began.

I could go on and will mention Graham Taylor (harshly treated imo), Mark McGhee (never popular), Colin Lee (didn’t he sign Robert Taylor), Dave Jones (he seemed to lose his way), Glenn Hoddle (boring to say the least and we won’t mention the final piece of the jigsaw, Frankowski), Super Mick (he was great for us), Terry Connor (oh dear), Stale Solbakken (another oh dear from Mr Morgan), Dean Saunders (yet another oh dear from Mr Morgan), Kenny Jackett (did a great job and a gentleman of a manager), Walter Zenga (he came and went just like that), Paul Lambert (he played for Borussia Dortmund you know), the legend that is Nuno and now Bruno, who is not being backed to get the players he says we need.

Why do I support Wolves? It’s because of all the names I have mentioned (with apologies for those owners, players and managers I have missed out). It’s because of our current crop (have to mention Coady, Neves and Raul). It’s because they are my home town club. It’s because I have so many memories, good and bad. It’s because we are in the Premier League.

And finally it’s been with the help of my brothers and sisters and many friends along the way.
Now that’s a really great post and enjoyed reading it.

Wolfyyy

Reaction score
Kenny Miller’s goal against man utd in 2004 had me decided wolves would be the team for me. Wolves was 20th and man utd top of the table. The grit and fight that resulted in the eventual win for that match won me over. I was 15 years old then, residing at the other side of the world in sunny Singapore which has got absolutely nothing to do with Wolverhampton. It has been a very long grind since then and the recent years has been the best part of the ride so far!

While I am thankful to be able to witness the likes of Mout, Neves, RJ and Neto, strangely my favourite player till date is Matt Jarvis. Something about down to earth personalities with a touch of skill and hard work gets me drawn to them!

Last edited:

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
For reasons that I'm not making available to be used in a slanted agenda driven poll.

Your on the payroll aren’t you a Mutchy……

A simple question seeing why people support wolves.

Most people are answering honestly and so me great responses.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Born in Stafford in 1951 and my Dad was a big Wolves supporter, on my ninth birthday in 1960 he took me to my first game at home to the mighty Tottenham Hotspur side of that era, they whipped us 4-0 and I cried after the game but my Dad said:" Don't cry, son, we have been soundly beaten by a very great team." The many ups and downs over the last 70 years for me have not changed my love and support for the city and the club and its many loyal and often funny fans. Long may it continue. Wolves, ay we..?

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Dad and my Grandad. It’s a generational thing in my family.

My son is now more obsessed than me.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Grandad and Dad forced it upon me when I was still in nappies

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been following and supporting Wolves since season 1953/1954, when they became champions of the old division one for the first time. That means in season 1923/1924, I would have been supporting Wolves for 70 years. In spite of all the disappointments and a few joys here and there, I never thought of changing my alliance. I am 77 at present.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This all seems a little loaded, mine's "none of the above" - my Dad was a Surrey-based glory hunter growing up in the 1950s, and I decided I wanted to start going to matches with him in 2002

But voted 'I love Scott Sellars and Jeff Shi and thats why I support Wolves'

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
You've tried that one before. And the answer is no - now and any time you might try it again in future.

I don’t understand why you comment then?

Others are answering fairly and you chime in.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
And the award for worst ever options in a poll on Mol Mix goes to….

You and Mutchy are friends aren’t you

I just know it

This poll is driven from Jeff Shi comments not mine.

He wants global fans so I’m interested in the split

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My name is Man Friday and I grew up with a geezer called Robinson Crusoe. He told me that "WOLVES AY WE". That was that!

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You and Mutchy are friends aren’t you

I just know it

This poll is driven from Jeff Shi comments not mine.

He wants global fans so I’m interested in the split
You appear to only be interested in your own narrow opinion, those who agree with it and the often stated grievance you have about the price of your season ticket.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like a good many I imagine. Local or originally local. Went as a team with family. Once it's in the blood it's there for life.

Unless you are a scouse owner wanting to build houses.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it was 1969 (I was 5) and absolutely loved playing football. Started school and the other kids used to make comments like, “all he does is play football and he doesn’t support a team” and similar jibes. (I would probably qualify for counselling nowadays and a label).

Support a team? Nobody told me I had to do that, I thought. Right, I’ll show them, I’ll pick a team, where’s the choices?

I was at home that Saturday watching Grandstand?? The football results had just been shown and in them days (iirc), it only showed the top six in the table (for all I knew at the time, I might have thought there was only 6 teams).

Ever since I can remember, I have always had an affinity for the underdog and I definitely have never “followed the crowd”

The top 6 came up (not sure how far into the season, early I imagine) and it read something like.

Chelsea
Leeds
Everton
Arsenal
Derby
Wolves

Being young and not very bright, I remember thinking what’s an Everton? What’s an Arsenal? That doesn’t make sense but I knew what Wolves were. An animal not be messed with and I knew none of the other kids supported them so that’ll do me.

Decided then it was Wolves forever and have never wavered. Took a lot of stick from the other kids, who all supported Man U, Leeds, Arsenal or Liverpool, growing up in the 70’s but didn’t give a toss.

I was a wolf and that was that. The absolute icing on the cake was going to school and now I supported a team, I could pester Mum for a packet of bubblegum that came with football cards. Opened it immediately and there was Mike Bailey and OMG, what an amazing strip, the coolest colours ever. Felt like I’d won the FA cup and that is why, I have always supported Wolves.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Born in Wolverhampton, not lived there for the overwhelming part of my life but unironically I ended up supporting them following a trip to Selhurst Park against Wimbledon.

Love em still, not sure where it fits in with my family as I get older. Which does hurt a little bit, as it was the magic of the train and the subway, going to Molineux, that really grabbed me.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a sentence I was instantly in love with Wolves because;

My dad, growing up in short heath where everyone was Wolves and watching Peter Knowles on the North bank.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, like me, you grew up in Central Wolverhampton in the mid 1950s, who else would you support? In my primary school there were NO supporters of any professional team other than Wolves. (I tell a lie, one of my cousins supported Walsall, that was on account of his Dad being from there).

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone’s not getting enough attention so decides to start another inane thread. I’m sure this was done months ago.
True, but that applies to about 80% of threads on here. How many times have we been told the story of Wolves v Leeds in 1972, and the 60,000 who were in the ground? A dozen threads at least.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I began supporting them in 1954.
Reasons: Billy Wright, Eddie Clamp, Ron Flowers, Sir Stan Cullis .
Iconic kit colours.
Iconic nick name.
Iconic Molineux Street gable end roofs.
Molineux Hotel.
Charles Buchan's Football Monthly, constantly referring to them as 'The Mighty Wolves'.
1st Club to stage Floodlit Evening Games.
The pioneers of European Football encounters.

Wolves ONLY Wolves!!

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Early 1970s. Welsh village. Three Wolves supporters (my brother, sister and I) and dozens of Leeds.

Wolves fans stayed loyal, Leeds lot tended to end up supporting Liverpool by about 1976

Edit: I will point out that my brother went to Sandhurst in 1974, and we won the cup while he was there.
I went to Sandhurst in 1980 - Cup win

My son is posted to Sandhurst on a Staff Officer course in Autumn this year. So who knows?

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
No choice, not that I ever wanted one.
Born and bred in Wolverhampton, Dad was Wolves mad and a personal friend of Billy Wright
Never regretted being Wolves.
Thanks Dad.

Back
Top Bottom