Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This says that 8th gets Europa Conference League if we get the 5th Champions League spot.
Brilliant news.

Now for the curvy ball what if Chelsea finish 8th but reject the Conference place. Will it go to 9th lol

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course i would like another european run of any sort but I just dont see qualifying happening. Results/ performances like Brentford will continue to happen, particularly with our small squad. I would also like a really good cup run but the same doubts apply.
TBH, I am just delighted with recent performances, hope we dont fizzle away but will be delighted if we finish 12th, compared to where many of us, me included, thought we would be.
Sorry!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 8th is possible, just about. But it is going to depend on the form of teams around us.
Realistically you’d have to expect Chelsea, Brighton and probably Newcastle to stay above us, maybe we could overtake West Ham.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 8th is possible, just about. But it is going to depend on the form of teams around us.
Realistically you’d have to expect Chelsea, Brighton and probably Newcastle to stay above us, maybe we could overtake West Ham.
Brighton going on a deep European run could derail them a bit. Newcastle I’d certainly be surprised if we finished above them as they have players return from injury and no more Europe to contend with. West Ham and Chelsea we have a decent chance of overtaking.

8th in 22/23 - 60pts
8th in 21/22 - 52pts
8th in 20/21 - 61pts
8th in 19/20 - 56pts
8th in 18/19 - 54pts

Averages out to 56.6 points, call it 57 points. That would require 22 points from our last 13 games, 1.7 points a game. 6 wins and a few draws.

We have five very winnable home games - Sheffield United, Fulham, Bournemouth, Luton and Palace. You can probably throw West Ham in there too if they continue their slide.

Our home form will need to be exceptional to have any chance of making 8th, starting with Sunday of course.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are 3 points away from 7th so i think 7th is possible. Brighton and Newcastle were brilliant at the start of the season, not sure either are particularly formidable right now.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's just win the cup - simples
Totally agree. That's our easiest route.

Our last 6 games include..Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, who will be all guns blazing by the looks of it, for obv reasons plus

We also play Forest and Luton, who might well be fighting for their lives.

Not many on the beach opponents there for us to play.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's just win the cup - simples
I'd take a terrible slide down to 16th if it meant winning the FA Cup. I've seen us win the League Cup at Wembley - which is a memory that I'll always cherish - but I still see the FA Cup as the pinnacle domestic competition it was in the 70s and 80s.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While I'm still a bit pessimistic about our chances of Europe, it's brilliant to be in the conversation.
Win tomorrow and let's see how we get on.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Win tomorrow and we have 38 points and almost definitely safe from relegation! Anything else is a bonus.

Nige

Reaction score
Not A Chance. 3 of the last 4 games against the top 3. We already know the result of those thanks to the corrupt PL and their officials. O'Neil has done a good job and I eat Humble pie too because i thought we would go down with the appointment. However Europe NO
Maybe next year IF we recruit well and bolster the squad. Which means we would have to sell Neto and others

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not A Chance. 3 of the last 4 games against the top 3. We already know the result of those thanks to the corrupt PL and their officials. O'Neil has done a good job and I eat Humble pie too because i thought we would go down with the appointment. However Europe NO
Maybe next year IF we recruit well and bolster the squad. Which means we would have to sell Neto and others
I'd love to know what you base your "no chance" argument on given our record against top teams is outstanding and only the current top 6 are above us in the last 12 games form table

And that's without even considering yesterday's favourable results

I'd say there's a hell of a good chance

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree. That's our easiest route.

Our last 6 games include..Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, who will be all guns blazing by the looks of it, for obv reasons plus

We also play Forest and Luton, who might well be fighting for their lives.

Not many on the beach opponents there for us to play.
We may not have to beat Liverpool or City in those league games to get Europe.......but to WIN the fa cup we will probably have to beat at least one of those teams .

Winning the fa cup is a long way off at the minute....beat Sheffield utd today Europe Vis the league is much more likely....we done Europe via the league a few seasons ago.....it's been 60 odd years since we win the cup.....

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to know what you base your "no chance" argument on given our record against top teams is outstanding and only the current top 6 are above us in the last 12 games form table

And that's without even considering yesterday's favourable results

I'd say there's a hell of a good chance
Agreed! Our form against those at the top suggests it is not a foregone conclusion that we lose. If Liverpool need to beat us on the final day to win the premier league, that puts more pressure on them than us, and that in itself gives us a good chance of taking something from that game.

Whilst I don’t think we are likely to burst into the European spots, for people to be talking about it shows what a brilliant season it has been to this point and shows what an inspired (and somewhat brave) appointment GON has been.

Whatever happens, I think as there is minimal risk of relegation (completely against the odds, pundits’views, supporters’ expectations) we are in a great position to play without fear or pressure and can enjoy trying to finish as high up the table as possible.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We may not have to beat Liverpool or City in those league games to get Europe.......but to WIN the fa cup we will probably have to beat at least one of those teams .

Winning the fa cup is a long way off at the minute....beat Sheffield utd today Europe Vis the league is much more likely....we done Europe via the league a few seasons ago.....it's been 60 odd years since we win the cup.....
I do generally agree with this.
Though looking at our results this season you could conclude we are as likely to beat a top team in a cup final as we are to beat the bottom team at home in a league match!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant news.

Now for the curvy ball what if Chelsea finish 8th but reject the Conference place. Will it go to 9th lol
Should do, the same way Milan's spot went to Torino (who finished outside normal qualification places) when they reported themselves for FFP

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Two huge games today.
Very important that Wolves and Liverpool win!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do generally agree with this.
Though looking at our results this season you could conclude we are as likely to beat a top team in a cup final as we are to beat the bottom team at home in a league match!
Yes anything is possible.....both scenarios.....but realistically we have finished 7th twice in 2 recent season......whereas we haven't even got to a final in the fa cup for 60 odd years ...it's gonna be at least 2 months before we have a realistic chance at winning the cup whereas a win today puts us probably only having to get better result than a couple of teams for 7th ...

The big teams win the cups generally....the likes of us , Brighton, villa , Newcastle, west ham etc realistically will only get Europe by league position not by winning something....7th at this stage is possible,..winning the fa cup at this stage is still a mamouth task ...

Last edited:

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want us to qualify but it would totally ruin next season if we did. This squad would explode if we had to play 2 games a week regularly and they'd never risk getting a big expensive squad on multi-year contracts for what could potentially only be 1 season of European football.

So if we did qualify for Europe I'd expect the next season to be a bit of a **** show when it came to injuries / results, especially either side of European games. We got away with it under Nuno because we played a very defensive low-energy style and for that season (especially in first halves if I remember correctly).

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want us to qualify but it would totally ruin next season if we did. This squad would explode if we had to play 2 games a week regularly and they'd never risk getting a big expensive squad on multi-year contracts for what could potentially only be 1 season of European football.

So if we did qualify for Europe I'd expect the next season to be a bit of a **** show when it came to injuries / results, especially either side of European games. We got away with it under Nuno because we played a very defensive low-energy style and for that season (especially in first halves if I remember correctly).
What's the point in going if people don't wanna qualify for Europe.....we ain't going to get champions league are we.....the memories of travelling round Europe watching wolves will live with me forever....I want more...... can't see the point going if people don't want 7th and conference league..... realistically we could win the conference league..

Last edited:

colincameron

Reaction score
I’ve scanned through that link twice now and can’t see anywhere that says 8th gets a European place if we manage to get an extra CL spot.

Bottom of article reads:

If England receive five CL places, does the ECL spot go down to eighth?​

Yes, it does - provided the domestic cups are won by those finishing inside the top seven as seen last season, with Manchester United winning the Carabao Cup and Manchester City winning the FA Cup.

Based on last season, eighth-placed Tottenham would have qualified for the Europa Conference League and Aston Villa would have been promoted to the Europa League.

colincameron

Reaction score
Opta apparently suggests England has an 81% chance of claiming the additional spot at the moment- Arsenal losing didn't help! Definitely need to be cheering on all the English sides in Europe this season that's for sure!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON is keeping his feet firmly on the ground when qualifying for Europe was mentioned to him after todays game.

He admitted we have no chance of qualifying if we play like we did in the second half and he’s spot on.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tuned on the LC final to see Liverpool score. Does it help the Euro slots if Liverpool win today?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And Liverpool win the League Cup!

Means officially at the moment:

- Champions League: Top 4
- Europa League: 5th and FA Cup
- Conference League: 6th place, if Liverpool don’t finish out of top 5, which is very unlikely.

Obs could change if England get the extra Champions League spot, through being one of the two best performing nations in Club comps.

It is game well and truly on and the door is opening nicely for The Old Gold and Black!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I forgot no one else has to play the top three!

I agree we'll almost definitely need points on the board before the final run in...

But the likes of Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham and Chelsea may have to play catch up unless they've already had points off those top teams.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Understatement to say how massive march is for us

Brighton in the cup , European places rivals in Newcastle

Then two home games against Bournemouth and fulham

Massive march we should be aiming for another 6 points before international break and getting cunha back for villa

Let's hope for more wins three home games next 4 come on !!!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON is keeping his feet firmly on the ground when qualifying for Europe was mentioned to him after todays game.

He admitted we have no chance of qualifying if we play like we did in the second half and he’s spot on.
If we play like that for the remainder of the season and are rewarded with (3) that amount of points after every game, we'll stand a very good chance.

Back
Top Bottom