Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed but we have done this despite, not because, we dont have a central attacker.

It has to be the right central attacker. And the better you get, the harder it is to find someone who can improve you, who is also affordable. There's several genuine central attackers in this league doing worse than our main 4 forwards. We've struggled to get that player before ,tried several times and ended with egg on our face.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be the right central attacker. And the better you get, the harder it is to find someone who can improve you, who is also affordable. There's several genuine central attackers in this league doing worse than our main 4 forwards. We've struggled to get that player before ,tried several times and ended with egg on our face.
That is bad recruitment and its been poor for almost 5 years. Not 2 months . No one is suggesting we buy a poor central striker. Just an average one would suffice. .

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can he do it on a wet & windy midweek February night in Grimsby though?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
like Sasa?
Bad recruitment again. As with Silva, Cutrone , Mir and Jose .

But there is something very illogical about the argument that there are bad number 9s so we shouldn't have a number 9.
Some clubs have poor goalkeeper so should we not play with ,or recruit, a goalkeeper?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But there is something very illogical about the argument that there are bad number 9s so we shouldn't have a number 9.
Some clubs have poor goalkeeper so should we not play with ,or recruit, a goalkeeper?

That's not the argument, though. My point is that as we are scoring at the highest rate since promotion , do we really need a traditional #9 at the moment?

You need a goalkeeper to stop goals conceded, as he is the one player allowed to handle the ball. Any of the entire team is allowed to score a goal, so that's not a meaningful comparison. If we could find a way to win matches without a goalkeeper, then go for it!

The comparison is more like: does every side need two proper wingers out wide? A box to box midfielder? A sweeper?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
That's not the argument, though. My point is that as we are scoring at the highest rate since promotion , do we really need a traditional #9 at the moment?

You need a goalkeeper to stop goals conceded, as he is the one player allowed to handle the ball. Any of the entire team is allowed to score a goal, so that's not a meaningful comparison. If we could find a way to win matches without a goalkeeper, then go for it!

The comparison is more like: does every side need two proper wingers out wide? A box to box midfielder? A sweeper?
there are probably quite a few good traditional number 9s in the leagues but are currently playing as centre halves - as from youth level the traditional no 9 was frowned upon/not required over the last 5-10 years.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i don’t think we need a nine, but i think the above shows how difficult it is.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle without Wilson for 3 months and Isak is always injured. They let Wood got to Forest and didn't replace him

I wonder if their owners are getting pelters for not backing Howe and pushing for Champions League?

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we had kept Fabio or Sasa, would we want them to be starting? Even with Cunha injured, you would still have to leave out Hwang or Sarabia (Neto a given starter).

So they would only be options off the bench. Fraser and Chirewa can provide that and gain vital experience.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
which would have been a prodigious waste of money we don’t have. yet there’s posters criticising us wasting money in the past while advocating this.
the irony is astonishing

The funny thing is if you listen to e&s poddy, GON was effectively saying he was led to believe that if sasa went someone would come in and wages weren’t the issue.

So what happened?

Would have been better to keep what we had or one of than let both go with no one to come in with hwang and Neto’s injury records

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
The funny thing is if you listen to e&s poddy, GON was effectively saying he was led to believe that if sasa went someone would come in and wages weren’t the issue.

So what happened?

Would have been better to keep what we had or one of than let both go with no one to come in with hwang and Neto’s injury records
the agent asked for a load of cash last minute?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So what happened?

oh i agree, that part is shocking.

But spending £4m on Broja? nah.

The two can be mutually exclusive

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if part of our approach may be down to developing and publicly demonstrating a club culture which allows and enables potentially big-time players to join us in the knowledge and confidence that we'll A) look after them & their families well; B) enable them to have rich & ample opportunities to develop with us; and C) let them move on to bigger things w/o causing dramas if that's what they wish to do.

Assuming we are positioning ourselves as a club which buys potential low and then sells realised potential high, players & agents etc need to feel confident that we are the right choice for part of a "player journey".

Ultimately, if conducted effectively and with confidence our side too that we'll get to enjoy the developing potential ourselves, it's a win-win for everyone.

I may of course be talking rubbish; but I'm sure you're all used to that by now :~}

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad being run into the ground . Players being asked to do things to cover lack of alternatives. So predictable.
‘Run into the ground’ is a little sensationalist. They’re unlucky if they play more than once a week.
Crikey, don’t tell them what happens if we qualify for Europe…arghhhh!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was my answer to why our important players get injured . If we had got cover, as GON asked for, they wouldn't be as important.
Villa can still put out a potent team.
So you wouldn’t have picked Matheus ‘one of our best players’ Cunha, to play against Brentford?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not that Wolves haven’t spent the money. We have 2 players out on loan that cost 50 million between them. Imagine how strong we would look, if just one had been up to scratch, let alone both.

For what it’s worth, I think they have looked at it and realised, that whilst throwing money at the project, it’s not guaranteed to bring success. Jota and Neves turned a big profit but many haven’t. We had also become a bit frivolous with wages.

I think, they sat down and put a purposeful structure together that is much more sustainable long term. At least I hope that’s what they’ve done.

Get rid of the deadwood on high wages. Ride this season out and restructure. Getting someone in the January window just to fill a gap, would be immediately going against the new policy. Also, they would have only sat on the bench unless we got injuries, which of course has happened but it’s always easy with hindsight.
I think you’re spot on with the frivolousness of our pay awards. However on transfers, it’s been proven that over 90% of Wolves’ buys since Fosun took over, were successful.
On the subject of wages though, how does that get avoided? If and when Cunha needs a new contract, what do you do, keep him close to what he’s on now? He’ll probably leave and we end up with next to nowt.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Made good money on Mir and wasn’t Jose a loan?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the agent asked for a load of cash last minute?

No, I think from what was said that bringing in any striker (not the Brazilian) that he must move sasa and silva out and that a deal could be done for a player.

So why did no one come in?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
oh i agree, that part is shocking.

But spending £4m on Broja? nah.

The two can be mutually exclusive

I agree on Broja mate, at that point the £4m was a gamble based on the conditions.

The lack of any person is the cause for enquiry to why agreed actions like they were with JL weren’t honored?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My argument is why not a number 9 ? We needed numbers to cover . So a number 9 adds to the numbers and adds balance and adds options.
Now we must hope our frontline of Neto, Sarabia and Hwang will score those goals over the next three months. . And don't get red cards , injury or loss of form.
And GON can somehow change tactics and tactically surprise the opposition with those three . Its going to be hard.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON says a bit of muscle damage already working on it in no pain
So im guessing at 4-6 weeks max
He does also say they will give him every chance and not push him so who knows

Back
Top Bottom