Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve got 16 games left why spend £5m loan fee on a youngster who could well be on the bench for a lot of those games, wouldn’t have been available tomorrow.

Probably a similar story for the Brazillian lad.

The deals available either didn’t make sense from a financial or football POV and possibly both.
Well Borja would not have been able to be on the bench much lol

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got no problem with none of that.....I thought early doors what we was attempting to do in January by getting a forward when our budget was clearly limited was largely going to be impossible....

My only problem or slight moan is the details or expectations that kept coming out of the club raised our hopes that that we might have a bit more wiggle room that we hoped clearly we didn't.....so say nowt.....that's my only moan.....they raised our hopes when dashing them early doors and surprising us if we got something may have been the best tactic....

That is what I mean….. the expectation was set publicly that sasa wouldn’t leave unless one was coming in.

No room for grey or misinterpreted understanding.

So that bit of coms/message was either poorly thought out or poorly executed in delivery

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Summer we will be much more active
100%

We are going to entertain big bids for Neto, Ait-Nouri, Hwang

Expect more to come through the door, Gary will get the WAR CHEST

Hobbs has a plan and we are now past the most difficult stage. Staying in the league and the January window.

Signing the likes of Doyle for 5m and who knows maybe McAtee for something similar will help us big time in regards to P&S rules. Dealing with City before they face any charges could come very handy. They offer money up front like the Nunes deal.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is what I mean….. the expectation was set publicly that sasa wouldn’t leave unless one was coming in.

No room for grey or misinterpreted understanding.

So that bit of coms/message was either poorly thought out or poorly executed in delivery
Agree....which goes back to my original point about being naiive........( I don't mean letting Sasa go he isn't fit enough to play so why pay his wages)...... I just mean with our statements etc.....

We banked on fire sales and cheap loans becoming available at the end of the window and it didn't happen...we banked on Broja and got out muscled last minute...which is all fine if that's your policy....but stop making open statements that you are after someone.......the funny thing is Marco Silva said Wednesday they won't bring anyone in....they get Broja on Thursday.... totally opposite to what we were saying and did..O'Neil said we was looking at 2..but in hindsight O'Neil is quite inexperienced in a transfer market and will learn I suppose...

Madmalc

Reaction score
Got no problem with none of that.....I thought early doors what we was attempting to do in January by getting a forward when our budget was clearly limited was largely going to be impossible....

My only problem or slight moan is the details or expectations that kept coming out of the club raised our hopes that that we might have a bit more wiggle room that we hoped clearly we didn't.....so say nowt.....that's my only moan.....they raised our hopes when dashing them early doors and surprising us if we got something may have been the best tactic....
I don't think we were ever interested in any of the players the journalists used as clickbait. The only comment coming out of the club was the Yuri Alberto failed deal.
With figures of 50m obligation to buy for another journalist clickbait striker the source wasn't us and was probably the Agent or players club trying to up the price..

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we were ever interested in any of the players the journalists used as clickbait. The only comment coming out of the club was the Yuri Alberto failed deal.
With figures of 50m obligation to buy for another journalist clickbait striker the source wasn't us and was probably the Agent or players club trying to up the price..
Well maybe.....but we was definitely after Broja, probably not permanently but loan.......I would be worried if our only target was the kid from Brazil....we didn't put much of a fight up to get him , leaving it till the last minute and running at the first sign of a problem.....if that's was it ...I would have concerns about our employees and owners.....which I don't have .......that was not the only deal we persued surely....was we on holiday till January 28th /29th.....come on...even O'Neil said we close to deals early January , close until it came to coughing up which can only be FFP or oners depending on which way you judge it....not because we had NO targets...

Last edited:

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We’ve got 16 games left why spend £5m loan fee on a youngster who could well be on the bench for a lot of those games, wouldn’t have been available tomorrow.

The deals available either didn’t make sense from a financial or football POV and possibly both.
This is right on the money. We'll see quite a few in and out in the summer so I'm not bothered by a quiet Jan window. Not many clubs signed anyone which indicates the uncertainty at alot of clubs around ffp. I'd rather we played it the way we did than make unnecessary signings to appease fans!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa and Silva were never going to feature. He got rid as soon as there was interest and before they could break down again. He wanted a striker, the recruitment team failed him, so he promoted Fraser who is better than either of them.
Fraser is nowhere near it right now, sorry to disappoint

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree....which goes back to my original point about being naiive........( I don't mean letting Sasa go he isn't fit enough to play so why pay his wages)...... I just mean with our statements etc.....

We banked on fire sales and cheap loans becoming available at the end of the window and it didn't happen...we banked on Broja and got out muscled last minute...which is all fine if that's your policy....but stop making open statements that you are after someone.......the funny thing is Marco Silva said Wednesday they won't bring anyone in....they get Broja on Thursday.... totally opposite to what we were saying and did..O'Neil said we was looking at 2..but in hindsight O'Neil is quite inexperienced in a transfer market and will learn I suppose...
Because Jimenez got an injury and probably out for a while .It was simple as that

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing neto and ran together would be terrible. We ought to sell one this summer and one next, not both at the same time.
I somehow feel the sale of Neto will be inevitable but not Ran (unless a big figure comes in) until a future season.
A big saleable asset every season will go towards keeping the club in the greed league it would be hoped, even if that does mean an annual mid table finish with the outside chance of cup silverware.

Some may say that watching world players at Molineux (not necessarily ours) is worth being in the top flight alone, rather than slumming it the divisions below. All about expectations I guess.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would add Cunha to that list. Like Neves before him the club seems to have gotten under his skin so I would hope he gives another season or two but our resolve might be severely tested in the summer.
I don’t see who’s going to offer us 70/80m for him. It’s important we make a profit then Atletico have a sell on. I’m sure Mendes will figure it out. Yes absolutely another name. But we are not going to sell him cheap for a 5m profit would be ridiculous. He reminds me a lot of Gabriel Jesus. But better. I guess time will tell on Cunha. Playing the best football of his career at the moment. Looked tired the other night. Oneil knows how to get players attacking. Neto, Sarabia, Hwang and Cunha have all improved under him. All of those 4 players will have significant prices on their heads. Sarabia may go for a small loss because of his age. But he still offers a lot of quality. So it’s probably worth keeping him until next season unless we can find someone to replace him with. Moutinho situation a little.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i don’t think we will be massively, and i don’t want us to be particularly active. we need to build on what we have, 3/4 max.
A lot will depend on who goes. For me if we can a big wedge of cash for Neto and Kilman it will put us in a great position to be able to bring new players in without having to worry about P&S.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot will depend on who goes. For me if we can a big wedge of cash for Neto and Kilman it will put us in a great position to be able to bring new players in without having to worry about P&S.
oh for sure, i was thinking yesterday though, from our first 11 who would be the first to be replaced? maybe another thread needed.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why not find better options ? We have had long enough.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellegarde played there because Hwang is not here and Sarabia was just coming back. And who cares? It's better than wasting the budget on someone who might do a job and get us to what 9th? I'll take my chances in the summer.
I wouldnt hold you breath for the summer. In the last four years we bought Trincao, Guedes, Nunes , Bellegrade ,Sarabia and Cunha .
We never thought to prioritise, a leader of the line , a physical central attacker. Why bother they aren't needed in the modern game. ;)

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We might have to sell mosquera if he does well in la liga. At 4 million cost he would represent good profit. He will have two years left on his contract at the end of the season and probably won't extend.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We might have to sell mosquera if he does well in la liga. At 4 million cost he would represent good profit. He will have two years left on his contract at the end of the season and probably won't extend.

Why wouldn't he extend? From having 0 experience to two decent loans hopefully, ready for a chance in the premier league. That's probably the projection he was sold when we bought him. Plus we signed him for like 3.5m wasn't it?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My issue with this transfer window is that we let two players go, one who has won us points, the other who was starting earlier in the season. As far as i'm concerned our squad is now weaker and carrying niggles entering the busiest part of our season. There is no guarantee Hwang will come back fit from the Asia cup, he has been carrying something since December and has been pretty heavily strapped up.
Bellegarde has been very hit and miss when he has played in his preferred position, so why the hell he is starting as a centre forward is beyond me.
The whole approach just seems like "we're winning a few games now so who cares about March/April"

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he extend? From having 0 experience to two decent loans hopefully, ready for a chance in the premier league. That's probably the projection he was sold when we bought him. Plus we signed him for like 3.5m wasn't it?
He might feel he won't get a look in like Gibbs-white did and villareal might turn his head.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite simply our spending on Fabio, Guedes, Cutrone; and the loan fees for Trincao, Vallelejo and Jesus and the failure to sell or even get a loan fee for Adama have shafted us. And that is on Jeff Shi.
I suspect that Hobbs is also tearing is hair out, but he is operating with both hands tied behind his back and the small change is a very long way down the pockets.
Why dont you offer your services and show them how its done , pretty sure they would appreciate such expert help .

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ITK or wishful thinking?
I only enquire because I'm definitely not ITK and rely totally on message boards, forums, pub talk and our glorious press.
To be honest, I thought it was pretty much common knowledge.
If you read back, the far more expert in the field than me, this window was the last of the three year rolling that we were very tight on FFP.
New year in the summer so gives us alot more moving room, regardless of sales.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought it was pretty much common knowledge.
If you read back, the far more expert in the field than me, this window was the last of the three year rolling that we were very tight on FFP.
New year in the summer so gives us alot more moving room, regardless of sales.
That would be true, if rolling losses were the only regulations restricting us. Unfortunately, they aren't.

In the next two years we will have to get our amortised transfer spend and wages down to 80% and 70% of turnover. With our turnover (static for years at around £170mill a year) we still need to reduce our wage bill further and not add unnecessary spending to our amortised transfer pot.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
That would be true, if rolling losses were the only regulations restricting us. Unfortunately, they aren't.

In the next two years we will have to get our amortised transfer spend and wages down to 80% and 70% of turnover. With our turnover (static for years at around £170mill a year) we still need to reduce our wage bill further and not add unnecessary spending to our amortised transfer pot.
You will be surprised how well we have prepared for the squad cost limit scenarios. Wage bill has reduced significantly. I do though share your views about factoring in the amortised spend but if Sasa and Guedes in particular are found buyers it will be an easier path.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You will be surprised how well we have prepared for the squad cost limit scenarios. Wage bill has reduced significantly. I do though share your views about factoring in the amortised spend but if Sasa and Guedes in particular are found buyers it will be an easier path.
The problem is, neither you or I know what the wage bill looks like for 23/24 and we won't know that until this time next year when this years accounts are published.

I think it's reasonable to assume that, with all the outgoings we will have hit the 90% target for amortised fees and wages vs turnover, maybe even 80%. But we probably still have a way to go to get to 70% and I think Jeff will want (or be under pressure) to get there early if possible, which means not buying much and not spending too much on wages.

I agree that removing Guedes, Sasa, Fabio and Podence from the wage bill and their fees out of the amortised transfer pot will probably get us to the 70%. But we surely aren't going to add anything like those levels of liabilities back into those pots when they are gone.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Well maybe.....but we was definitely after Broja, probably not permanently but loan.......I would be worried if our only target was the kid from Brazil....we didn't put much of a fight up to get him , leaving it till the last minute and running at the first sign of a problem.....if that's was it ...I would have concerns about our employees and owners.....which I don't have .......that was not the only deal we persued surely....was we on holiday till January 28th /29th.....come on...even O'Neil said we close to deals early January , close until it came to coughing up which can only be FFP or oners depending on which way you judge it....not because we had NO targets...
I might have been too wordy in my post, so I will try to simplify how I'm expressing my point of view:
Everything and I mean everything I read in the press about us being linked with the purchase of any player I treat as completely made up by the selling party or the players Agent. Particularly when £30-50m is banded about.
The only time we let the press know our intended targets is when it's a done deal.

That's why Yuri Alberto came as a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom