Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Cunha will be on a lot of teams shopping lists this summer
Nobody is paying close to 50 million for him in the present financial climate so there's no profit to be had. I think the FFP charges have spooked everyone now and I wouldn't even be sure that Neto will bring in a "massive" fee in the summer. We got lucky that De Bruyne got crocked and City are one of the few with the (dodgy accounting-assisted) financial power to lash out on a Nunes... that deal was the exception to the current trend though.

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They can't tell us the right player weren't available, just waiting on the one or two players supposedly interested in to become available but our offers were shocking more than likely.
It’s a risk isn’t it.. sure, we maybe need that in some ways, right now.

But it all goes on the books. Right now, we’re mid table with a decent young manager, we have several players who are mid-twenties and worth 50mill+.. no FFP issues.. why add an obligation to buy contract to the sale price that might not work out.

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
we’ve had 4 weeks to get this sorted and as usual of late, fumble around on the last day and miss out. Feel for GON, we are a couple of injuries short of a disaster. Thank god we’ve got some runs on the board. I can imagine any other club in the division who would loan out their two main out and out strikers (in an already threadbare squad) without brining in reinforcements, however poor they may be

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They just announced on SSN Joe Hodge as been loaned out to some team. How many players have we sold or loaned to other teams now since last summer TW must be around the 15 mark? The 1st team squad Gary O'Neal has inherited is down to the bare bones atm. Although Gary doing a great job if Cunha or Net get a bad injury in the rest of season we'll be in **** street!

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s a risk isn’t it.. sure, we maybe need that in some ways, right now.

But it all goes on the books. Right now, we’re mid table with a decent young manager, we have several players who are mid-twenties and worth 50mill+.. no FFP issues.. why add an obligation to buy contract to the sale price that might not work out.
Why an obligation? Should be optional and it gives us 4 months with a player on trial for him to prove he wants to be here and produce the goods for us.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no varnishing over the fact this window has been disappointing. I’m not surprised or disappointed Fabio has gone back on loan. I’m a bit more disappointed Sasa has also gone out, and especially so since we didn’t replace him. But to be fair, neither of them contributed a great deal first half of the season, so let’s keep that in mind. I’m pleased Noha has arrived, but we know he’s more one for the future, so can’t be expected to contribute this season.

So let’s hope our first team stays fit, and Hwang comes back fit and ready to go.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
They just announced on SSN Joe Hodge as been loaned out to some team. How many players have we sold or loaned to other teams now since last summer TW must be around the 15 mark? The 1st team squad Gary O'Neal has inherited is down to the bare bones atm. Although Gary doing a great job if Cunha or Net get a bad injury in the rest of season we'll be in **** street!
How many minutes has Hodge played under O’Neil? And how many would he play between now and the end of the season if he stayed? He’s behind Lemina, Gomes, Doyle and Bouba.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed Sasa has gone out without another experienced back up coming in. Fraser in for Silva in the pecking order is likely a well deserved improvement.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joe Hodge going is neither here nor there. He's not a player that you can realistically expect to contribute at PL level.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many minutes has Hodge played under O’Neil? And how many would he play between now and the end of the season if he stayed? He’s behind Lemina, Gomes, Doyle and Bouba.

Exactly Jade. Said similar about Fabio and Sasa. Better for them and us if it gets them playing time and holds some of their value.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
good move for hodge at what i personally think will turn out to be his level. needs the game time and its now up to him to boss it in the champ. works well for everyone this move

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nottingham Forest sign goalkeeper Matz Sels from Strasbourg for £5m

Least surprise of the window is Forest signing a new keeper.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs failed us. Loads of strikers who are better than fraser that we could have got and he had a month to do it in. I pray that hwang stays fit for our last 16 games.
The squad is so threadbare they will all be in the red zone.
I'm not convinced the blame all lies with Hobbs... I think you need to look way further up the food chain, personally.

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
The deal on the table was a straight loan costing us £4m, or buy him for £35m. Forget that.
If the 4mil was based on wolves not playing him when fit and available that's fair enough (as reported in Fulham's deal) but whoever we got in I would have wanted them to start every game. I'd be surprised if we were actually in for Broja. We probably just got ppl to throw names out there as we weren't going to bring anyone in anyway.
God help us in the summer..Esp if GON wants his targets in early..that's a sign where we will hold off selling Neto right until the last week of August before cashing in and just about bring in a few replacements...Plan Bs as the right player wasn't available at the right price.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the Times journo — quote from GON press conf “but we haven’t been deducted 10 points!”

So a good transfer policy is not losing ten points?

Seems as if we are scraping the barrel if that’s the best we can expect.

Football now is decided less and less on the field and more often off it.

As a game it is beautiful.

As a sport it’s hollow and quite possibly corrupt.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
im surprised we haven't managed to support MON by getting him a decent cf on loan. In the circumstances give Fraser some minutes when possible to build his game. As it was we would have been better with gomes in mf and ait nouri on the left tonight as we looked disjointed all the 1st half.
Interesting slant

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting a massive amount from us this January, but I wasn't expecting our squad to be weaker than it was at the start. Shame on the board/recruitment team, it really isn't good enough.
That about J Hodge wasn't the point in my post. The scale of the reduction of the Wolves squad since summer transfer window is drastic in my opinion for a PL team. We can't afford to keep moving that many player on and have a squad down to the bare bones as I said.
Yes we just about got enough cover in midfield but not in attacking positions with Fabio and Sasa going out on loan now.. Plus selling Raul and Adama we have four less players there in those positions since last summers squad!

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any striker is better than no striker , only Wolves can end a transfer window with a weaker squad.

Belegarde must never play the central role again.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Our squad would be significantly improved if we simply had Sasa and Mosquera. We are currently a professional CF and CB light and I am sure it is well worth it for their combined £70k a week wages.

On one hand, I am so pleased for them that they get to live in those wonderful countries. Living in Germany and Spain means they don't have to slum it in post-Brexit Britain with their young families.

But, on the other hand, and I get this is selfish, I wish Wolves had better options than making Sarabia, the unlucky ****er, fight it out with Bellegarde as a number 9.
Hi as you are relatively new here and not posted much can you keep the politics out of your posts please on this part of the forum.

If you wish to talk politics there is the politics forum accessed in the ot forum.

Cheers :)

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a **** up of a window, no doubt about that. GON was obviously given assurances that we’d get someone in when we let Sasa go. It was a gamble that has not paid off. Hopefully we can steer clear of fatigue and injuries from playing the same players for 90 minutes every game.

Back
Top Bottom