Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No need to panic we’ll be fine this season. Much better to wait until the summer when we’ll have more to spend and there’ll be better value to be had in the market.
No panic at all,but a few injuries and a losing run will soon change that lol

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about 2022. I think a lot of evidence suggests that the fall off that season was down to the manager. We didn't have any major issues with injuries, there was no specific loss of a player that caused it. Every managerial position Bruno has had showed an initial surge, followed by a dramatic relative fall-off and a sacking! As more stories come out about how he treated players, it's no surprise.

I don't have the same concerns about GON. This squad is more together than it's been since Nuno.

I would actually compare it more to Nuno's time here, where there was always concern about our small squad size, which was generally unfounded until a serious injury to a key player, which any team struggles to cover.

Like I say, it'll be more about luck than what we do in January.
If I recall correctly, I would say that losing Semedo to injury was a big loss during that time period...

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely no problem with us not paying £30m for Broja, but PSR isn't the reason when we'd pay in the summer. We basically all know Neto is off in the summer, and he will be almost all profit, so he will keep us ticking over for years on his own.

At least this should stop the £45m nonsense about Broja.
as long as he does not get injured .....

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has someone warped me back to the end of August? Literally the same posts by the same people.

Don’t buy someone as the deals not right - club* is ****, don’t know what they are doing.
buy someone (price is a bit steep) - waste of money, club* is **** don’t know what they are doing.

*insert Shi as appropriate

giphy.gif

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why am I pessimistic? I've said, on this thread and others, that we're the second biggest overachievers in the league after Villa.
I've said I would be happy to have kept Sasa and done NO business.

So, you're just picking and choosing what I say to suit your view of me, like many others.

As for the 'financially doable', what are you even arguing here? O'Neil has said we can't sign players for financial reasons. Broja is £30m, what were they expecting? Why did we supposedly offer money for Dia in the summer? Where's that money gone? But you'd believe it's not Wolves moving the goalposts, it's actually every other club.

Do you honestly believe if we were 17th in the league then we would spend £0 in January? There's wriggle room, as reported by Percy, so the budgets should be known and we should have had someone lined up after Sasa left.

I don't care about anyone else. No other club has no natural strikers.
why have you posted more on the back of this news than you have recently?
i was only thinking where’s my old sparring partner and low and behold, voila.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
why have you posted more on the back of this news than you have recently?
i was only thinking where’s my old sparring partner and low and behold, voila.

Are you another mod along with Specky Snorban and his dog who controls when I post?

I don't think so, so I should be allowed to comment when and where I want. This is just further proof that you don't debate the points, but the poster, which is not how it should be.

But, I will answer you.

In regards to this, I was unhappy we let Sasa and Silva go in early January without a replacement. I mentioned it at the time, but there's no real point as the whole window was ahead.

I mentioned it again after the FA Cup draw, but it was still early in the window.

I have done again today entirely on the back of O'Neil's comments because it's relevant to my point. It seems we're less likely to get a striker, which I think would be a massive mistake. And, if we do, it's going to be a cheaper alternative, prompting the question are they better than Sasa? So I'm discussing it.

I then reply to people who reply to me.

When I say on the other thread that we're the second biggest overachievers in the league, nobody says anything back.

When I post that Semedo was outstanding against Brighton, that's it.

I only post more when posters respond. You know, the whole purpose of a forum.

If someone had said Semedo was **** in response to me on Monday night, I would've carried on debating them.

I'm absolutely not pessimistic about Wolves at all right now. Again, O'Neil is doing the second best job in the league pound for pound for me after Emery. I'm buzzing, but also extremely nervous, about Sunday, and I will have a great morning on the beers until I get to The Hawthorns, and hopefully a great day after we've won.

That doesn't take away from the fact I find it astounding that Wolves have once again taken a needless risk IMO with the January window by letting players leave before getting replacements in. It's amateur stuff in my opinion.

Despite the stick I get on here, I can see I'm not in the minority really among Wolves fans. Social media (actual fans) has many of the same concerns raised, The Wolves Forum is similar and even Keen and Judah have said similar to me, albeit not as strong, which is understandable.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nearly time to get that free agent list out guys!

Pato or Costa anyone?

Joao looked good at Reading

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I've said I would be happy to have kept Sasa and done NO business.
I agree that ideally would’ve been nice to have had a replacement lined up and if recall correctly the club were looking to keep Sasa until they found a replacement. From his subsequent interviews in the German press would seem to indicate he was pushing for a move as wasn’t happy just playing a bit part.

Wasn’t Hobbs also quoted as saying they agreed to the move to allow him and his family to have more time to settle with a baby on the way which I think the club should be applauded for.

It feels as though the club are reasonably relaxed and prepared to wait for the right player at the right price and if have to wait until the summer then so be it.

I think with clubs worried about FFP and P&S maybe player prices are about to tumble and we are seemingly in a decent place to take advantage of this happens.

The players also seem to be a pretty tight knit bunch and I think it’s doubly important to make sure that any player coming in is going to have the right attitude and we don’t end up with another Guedes type situation where the player seemingly thinks he’s above playing for Wolves and upsets the whole apple cart especially if coming from a supposed bigger club.

Maybe the club are hoping that Boulaye Dia might push for a move again and hope we can agree a loan with option/obligation deal. He feels to me to be more within the price range mooted as they type we would go for in the future with room to make a potential profit but not such high risk outlay.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you another mod along with Specky Snorban and his dog who controls when I post?

I don't think so, so I should be allowed to comment when and where I want. This is just further proof that you don't debate the points, but the poster, which is not how it should be.

But, I will answer you.

In regards to this, I was unhappy we let Sasa and Silva go in early January without a replacement. I mentioned it at the time, but there's no real point as the whole window was ahead.

I mentioned it again after the FA Cup draw, but it was still early in the window.

I have done again today entirely on the back of O'Neil's comments because it's relevant to my point. It seems we're less likely to get a striker, which I think would be a massive mistake. And, if we do, it's going to be a cheaper alternative, prompting the question are they better than Sasa? So I'm discussing it.

I then reply to people who reply to me.

When I say on the other thread that we're the second biggest overachievers in the league, nobody says anything back.

When I post that Semedo was outstanding against Brighton, that's it.

I only post more when posters respond. You know, the whole purpose of a forum.

If someone had said Semedo was **** in response to me on Monday night, I would've carried on debating them.

I'm absolutely not pessimistic about Wolves at all right now. Again, O'Neil is doing the second best job in the league pound for pound for me after Emery. I'm buzzing, but also extremely nervous, about Sunday, and I will have a great morning on the beers until I get to The Hawthorns, and hopefully a great day after we've won.

That doesn't take away from the fact I find it astounding that Wolves have once again taken a needless risk IMO with the January window by letting players leave before getting replacements in. It's amateur stuff in my opinion.

Despite the stick I get on here, I can see I'm not in the minority really among Wolves fans. Social media (actual fans) has many of the same concerns raised, The Wolves Forum is similar and even Keen and Judah have said similar to me, albeit not as strong, which is understandable.
i only mod you WATW, always watching ;)

Good post and actually agree with a lot of it, but all i hear in my mind when i read your posts is negativity.

Enjoy Sunday, gonna be horrible.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit gutted if we don’t bring in another forward, season could likely end up being steady but not spectacular but at the sane time who knows, just one bit of luck here and there it could be one for the ages. Such fine margins.

Can we leave Sasa and Silva out the conversation though, they have absolutely zero relevance to the situation. May as well ask why we sold John Paskin.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit gutted if we don’t bring in another forward, season could likely end up being steady but not spectacular but at the sane time who knows, just one bit of luck here and there it could be one for the ages. Such fine margins.

Can we leave Sasa and Silva out the conversation though, they have absolutely zero relevance to the situation. May as well ask why we sold John Paskin.
absolutely this. when the window is closed if we’ve not brought anyone in then i’ll be disappointed.
What’s telling is that this window is the quietest ever, clubs out there desperately need money and there isn’t much of it about.
could lead to a mad rush or a fire sale situation at some point.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is on 156k a week apparentlÿ

According to this site, it’s a lot less than that.

To be fair, his estimated salary in Saudi ranges from 30k to 150k a week depending on which site you look. But what is more reliable is that his salary in France was no more than 20k a week, and his contract in Saudi only runs for one season, so if he’s not wanted there, then his future salary expectations are likely to be modest.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about the endless list of players who have been a success? Name me a club where every player works out?
Yes win some lose some is normal. But the Fabio and Guedes deals are in another stratosphere of incompetence. Fabio was 18 and his youth record was not that exceptional at all. Mendes involvement and persuasion no doubt but what a howler by the club. Terrible waste of money- not Fabio's fault but dear oh dear that is the biggest waste of money in our history- we could easily lose £25m perhaps more, not even taking into account his high wages. Guedes - again the mark of Mendes on it. Presumably the club interviewed the guy and were happy to splash an inflated £27.5m on him. Within six games it was obvious he didn't want to know. Even when Loptegui came in.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Oooo pages and pages of new posts on the transfer thread, must be a signing coming in…

Ah, no, it’s just another lengthy “present opinion as indisputable fact” tirade from WeAreTheWolvesII. Silly me.

It’s been 6 months since he butchered the FFP situation with his indisputable facts about it being a smokescreen and not a real issue — despite it grinding the entire transfer window to a halt and nearly every club being affected.

You have to remember he has access to the internet - the shining beacon of trust and accurate information - so his opinions are more factual than ours.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been 6 months since he butchered the FFP situation with his indisputable facts about it being a smokescreen and not a real issue — despite it grinding the entire transfer window to a halt and nearly every club being affected.

You have to remember he has access to the internet - the shining beacon of trust and accurate information - so his opinions are more factual than ours.

Pseudonym on Jan 9: "Firstly, you needn't say "In my opinion". It's a forum and it's clearly everyone's individual opinion. Save yourself the time."

But now I think I post indisputable facts...

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to save pennies . Sasa and Silva went because they were not fitting the system.
Neves and Nunes, Collins and Traore , Jimmy and Costa ,Moutinho, Coady and Podence went to save pennies .
So you don’t think the saving on wages makes a difference to who we may be able to bring in on loan ?

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Pseudonym on Jan 9: "Firstly, you needn't say "In my opinion". It's a forum and it's clearly everyone's individual opinion. Save yourself the time."

But now I think I post indisputable facts...

You’re genuinely really close to being solid and worthwhile reading within this forum.

Just ruin your credibility when you present largely logical arguments but then layer them with subjective negativity dressed up like it’s indisputable fact.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil: "Me, Matt Hobbs and the recruitment team have done an awful lot of work on a couple of options. We had a meeting yesterday and it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us, at this point. It's disappointing firstly because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple, but it looks like they're not going to be doable."

I took that as us targeting players that we can't afford, which is bizarre on January 24th. Why are we wasting time on multiple players if they aren't in our price range?

O'Neil went from 'very confident' we would sign a striker on Monday, to now not knowing if we will get one in. So it seems as though the meeting yesterday was pretty significant.

I have no doubt you will see this differently though :)
Who said that Wolves are wasting their time? or that we are going after players we can’t afford? Why would Hobbs and Gary do that?

Maybe the targets didn’t want to come for any number of reasons.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re genuinely really close to being solid and worthwhile reading within this forum.

Just ruin your credibility when you present largely logical arguments but then layer them with subjective negativity dressed up like it’s indisputable fact.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Oh no. I'm absolutely gutted that I've not yet made the jump to being 'solid and worthwhile reading' for Pseudonym on Molineux Mix.

I'll keep trying. You've got a high opinion of yourself, which doesn't surprise me.

As we agreed on, everything posted on here is an opinion of a poster.

Are you going on Sunday?

Back
Top Bottom