Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sold Giles for 5 million so get nothing.

I wonder if the deal that Luton are doing with Hull is perhaps a bit crafty. Sell him to Hull for more or less what they paid for him, at least on book value, but include a hefty sell on clause in the Hull sale. So they get their money back, don’t pay us another penny, but get maybe 20-50% of whatever profit Hull might make should they sell him on for a larger fee later.

POE Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I wonder if the deal that Luton are doing with Hull is perhaps a bit crafty. Sell him to Hull for more or less what they paid for him, at least on book value, but include a hefty sell on clause in the Hull sale. So they get their money back, don’t pay us another penny, but get maybe 20-50% of whatever profit Hull might make should they sell him on for a larger fee later.
No. We would still get a percentage of their sell-on fee.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Luton must be pretty confident they won’t be going down this season - Giles would be excellent for them in the Championship next season.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. We would still get a percentage of their sell-on fee.

Why? As far as I know, sell on clauses are normally limited to the first sale and aren’t grandfathered to subsequent sales, but happy to be corrected.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think they're banking on £55m+ for Neto. Then some other likely bits and bobs (selling youngsters, Gibbs-White sell-on fee) should give us a decent budget. I think we'll need to prioritise a centre-back in the summer because Dawson's not getting any younger.
75+ for Pedro and we already have Santi Bueno and Mosquera

they do lack experience I admit

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? As far as I know, sell on clauses are normally limited to the first sale and aren’t grandfathered to subsequent sales, but happy to be corrected.
i think because he came through our academy so by default we get some small percentage anyway

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is percentage of future profit. It certainty was when it was talk about a big-money move for Pedro Goncalves.

I guess my query was how we achieve a share of the profit Luton might make should Hull sell Giles for a profit in a couple of years? I can see how we would get a share of the cash profit from a sale from Luton to Hull, but unless that clause also includes a provision covering any future profit Luton might make from subsequent sales (which it might I guess), then not how it covers the next transfer in the chain? I suppose I’ve answered my own question assuming we’ve done our contracts well!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think because he came through our academy so by default we get some small percentage anyway

I think that provision is mostly tied to international transfers (it’s derived from the outcome of Bosman) and limited to transfers until the player is 23 years old. But it’s possible the FA or PL adopted similar rules for domestic transfers too.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
unless he is Hardie.
oliver hardy bad gif is bad but idc GIF by Maudit

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that provision is mostly tied to international transfers (it’s derived from the outcome of Bosman) and limited to transfers until the player is 23 years old. But it’s possible the FA or PL adopted similar rules for domestic transfers too.
would make sense, to be honest cant imagine its huge percentage anyway (maybe 40k on a 4m transfer)

i said at the time i would be surprised with him or Dion if we saw any sell on of any significant value. its a good price for him and would be shocked if he ever went for much more

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess my query was how we achieve a share of the profit Luton might make should Hull sell Giles for a profit in a couple of years? I can see how we would get a share of the cash profit from a sale from Luton to Hull, but unless that clause also includes a provision covering any future profit Luton might make from subsequent sales (which it might I guess), then not how it covers the next transfer in the chain? I suppose I’ve answered my own question assuming we’ve done our contracts well!

If we're entitled to say "20% of all fees that Luton receives for Giles" - then we get 20% of the money, irrelevant whether that's an upfront fee, instalments, performance clauses, or money they receive in 2 years' time because they put a sell-on on him for his next transfer.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dropped him off at Gatwick then after the game...
Looks like it he was just on the becnh to allow pond to play u21s and off he goes, hopefully he has a great second half of the season.

Bench really is going to look youthful on Sunday.

I know we are missing 4 first teamers (gomes suspension) but still. Hope to see news on a 9 soon, ings i still wouldnt rule out

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like it he was just on the becnh to allow pond to play u21s and off he goes, hopefully he has a great second half of the season.

Bench really is going to look youthful on Sunday.

I know we are missing 4 first teamers (gomes suspension) but still. Hope to see news on a 9 soon, ings i still wouldnt rule out
The bench was always going to be light in January...with players missing and with the main focus of January being further cost cutting before additions.....so I don't really see what people expected.... Gary O'Neil will be fine with it probably but will hopefully be expecting the bench to be stronger for the run of games starting Feb 1st.....as they come thick n fast...... hopefully we will have a couple back by then and a first team addition and it will look a lot brighter, ready for the run in....

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in regard to broja, there may be an ability to turn an obligation into an option as it gets later in the window. Depends on fitness of players at chelsea and if broja wants to go etc. If they deem that they will recoup finances for FFP

I am hearing one of the interested parties will take him on an obligation!

It is the player who isn’t keen on the club who are willing to accept the proposal

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You can do multi-deal sell on clauses, I remember one player who had three of them tagged onto the original sale with only a “buy out” of the option was available if they wanted to get rid of it

dnf14

Reaction score
That i would expect is fulham

unless he doesnt want to move to wonderful wolverhampton
Fulham have Raul though and he's coming into form at that, surely they'd be the last club desperate enough to agree to an obligation on Broja at the price Chelsea's quoting.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham have Raul though and he's coming into form at that, surely they'd be the last club desperate enough to agree to an obligation on Broja at the price Chelsea's quoting.
Still want a long term mitrovic replacement and raul isnt that. Hes 33 this year.

Kudus back from afcon early, phillisp to west ham and other links, it screams ings will be available this weekend

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sell on clause on gilo as as wella s buy back which is basically a chance to match hull

which we wont do.

So buyback becomes null and void, sell on would usually be profit but sale was 4m plus addons,

i reckon we will get something out of this sell on wise

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton must be pretty confident they won’t be going down this season - Giles would be excellent for them in the Championship next season.
No he wouldn't. I know a little bit on this, they're happy for him to go.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t want ings, we’ve moved away from old players looking for one last payday
Agreed. We stated we wanted players who want to be at Molineux. Ings doesn't strike me as that sort of player. He was lauded for his hold up play against Sheff Utd, though.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t want ings, we’ve moved away from old players looking for one last payday

We have. But an older player with something to prove for competition between now and the end of the season wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just talking on another thread about how Doherty has been a good squad player and it's potentially helped to push others on even more. Ings would want to play and stop Cunha, Hwang and Neto becoming complacent, as well as saving their legs a bit.

If we'd have had Ings on the bench last night, he would have come on. An old, wily, experienced head to help see a game out.

Back
Top Bottom