Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton Verdict

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was surprised by how high we were pressing at times, and early in the match it did worry me as Brighton tend to find a way through most teams. It seemed to work though. Good work by O'Neil, the coaches, and analysts.
Same here. A couple of losses of possession in that first half saw four and five Brighton players steaming into the box.

There was some great composure from our defence - in our last visit there were defenders being dragged out of position, slipping on their backsides, the whole game.

I kept thinking, particularly as we were missing our chances, that a Brighton goal was inevitable. With the terrible officiating, I thought we'd get at least one sent off.

Best 0-0 draw I can remember from a Wolves team in ages.

There would have been West Brom spies there tonight and I bet the report makes their top recommendation to stop Neto and Cunha from running at their defence - at all costs, however violent. Both came in for special treatment and they'll have noted how Cunha got riled up and nearly sent off.

Last time I felt this confident of us beating West Brom was the 2-0 at home. Got a good feeling that the finishing will be far more clinical on Sunday.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just got back home to not so sunny but freezing cold Worthing.
A very useful point away to a side with a very good home record. Definitely second half we had the better chances and with a bit better decision making and composure in the final third, we could have taken all three.
GON continues to work wonders and was a game not so long ago that Wolves would have found a way to lose.
As per usual the Wolves fans were the all important 12th man whilst Brighton were largely whisper quiet. I love seeing their fans stream for the exit with 10 mins to go because the transport infrastructure is so poor. Rumour has it, John Prescott didn’t have a clue where Falmer was when he signed off the plans for the ground!!!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo & Doherty was fabulous real workers. Put in a shift. If only Cunha or Neto shoot more we would of won. Onward to Black Country derby!!

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I worried he may not have the engine.

I don't know if you saw it, the TV guys put on a table of distances covered and Doyle was 3rd with something like 11.3km run (I think it was Km rather than miles), but the point was he was 3rd - it just shows his stamina.
I was in among the Brighton fans. Was impressed by how mobile Doyle was and how much ground he covered

loppers86

Reaction score
doyle mom, semedo superb, dawson, kilman, doherty and toti fantastic. Gary O’Neill deserves a lot of credit - nunoesque performance.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't give GoN enough credit honestly. Is there a single regular in the squad he hasn't improved in some way? You can visibly see how much they're playing for him as well. We more than deserved that point tonight if not more.
Slight upgrade on Lopetegui’s efforts it has to be said

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s fun being a Wolves fan again. Even when we aren’t playing well we have a group of players who give their all and play for the shirt with pride as a bare minimum.

What’s not to like.
Don't think we've had that since COVID really. Raul's injury sucked the life out of the team and coaching staff, Lage was a disaster and Lopetegui was ultimately an unhappy man. Feels like the team and coaching staff are pulling in the same direction for the first time in a long time.

Reaction score
A word again for Chirewa's three key tackles in quick succession. Amazing from a player making his senior debut (unless you count EFL Trophy). Could be quite the signing.
I said the same to my mate! I wanted Fraser on instead…how wrong was I. Important little cameo for Chirewa.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did Sa make a save? Can't think of one. Outstanding defending from front to back. And I think I saw a stat saying Kilman had 96% pass accuracy - unless I was imagining things!
Yes. He made more saves than the Brighton keeper.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still havent conceded a goal direct from a set piece have we?
I know Brentford scored but that wasnt directly from the set piece

It basically was . And last night the only reason we didn’t was because of luck.

Stats only give you so much. We’ve been fortunate a few times now

JJ59

Reaction score
For once Cunha was not at the races, Sarabia worked his socks off but was wayward with his passes. At one point we were simply giving the ball back after virtually every tackle. Still overall well worth a point. Thought Craig Pawson was dreadful, very poor. At half time about 5 of our players had a go at him as he left the field. Anyone see what they were so angry about? Lastly the Amex is all about public transport and cars are discouraged. I left just before full time to ensure that I caught a train. I was then in a queue at the AMEX for 75 minutes, at one stage the queue was 10 deep, probably a third of a mile long and stationary most of the time. Thank goodness it was dry.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is Cunha doing with every one of those chances. Awful.

Zero composure then just stops running for a tap in for one opportunity

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I felt that if Hwang was playing we could have won that. We missed someone to put the chances away. There was no one to aim for when we attacked and Neto had to resort to trying to stuff the ball into the net by himself.
Happy with a point though seen as it was against Brighton away. They are a well coached team - easy on the eye; they move the ball around well and are very mobile. We did what we had to do and could have (should have?) nicked the win.
Sa didnt have a real save to make though Doyle did clear one off the line. Our defense was rock solid and always to the ball first. Special mention should go to Nelson who made some great tackles - though he may have had some extra motivation seen as it was against Brighton who he had stinkers with in the past. And as good as Joao Pedro is, he's no Mitoma.
We generally kept our shape throughout and didnt really go all out for a win - which may have allowed Brighton to open us up - and back-fired.
We did a job on them and plaudits to Gazza. Not only did we gain a point but it keeps the momentum of not losing going. He's proving to be tactically astute and the team seem to be right behind him.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Great point. What a journey. From final whistle we had to queue for over 50 mins to catch train to Brighton, wait 20 mins for 3 minute train. To Hove, and another 10m…. Took 2h 20 to travel on 4 trains the 15m to Lancing (son’s house). Takes me 1h45 from final whistle to home in Cotswolds. Why would ANYONE be Brighton STH??!!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from the point, main takeaway is that we didnt pick up an injury. Our subs bench looks very bare without the absentees and loan outs.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great point. What a journey. From final whistle we had to queue for over 50 mins to catch train to Brighton, wait 20 mins for 3 minute train. To Hove, and another 10m…. Took 2h 20 to travel on 4 trains the 15m to Lancing (son’s house). Takes me 1h45 from final whistle to home in Cotswolds. Why would ANYONE be Brighton STH??!!
By far the worst ground in the league

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
For once Cunha was not at the races, Sarabia worked his socks off but was wayward with his passes. At one point we were simply giving the ball back after virtually every tackle. Still overall well worth a point. Thought Craig Pawson was dreadful, very poor. At half time about 5 of our players had a go at him as he left the field. Anyone see what they were so angry about? Lastly the Amex is all about public transport and cars are discouraged. I left just before full time to ensure that I caught a train. I was then in a queue at the AMEX for 75 minutes, at one stage the queue was 10 deep, probably a third of a mile long and stationary most of the time. Thank goodness it was dry.
They were angry as he blew the whistle as we were on the attack from what I saw

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo's transformation has been remarkable.

Maybe i am in the minority, but i think barring the odd brain fart he's been playing well for a long time. The year we were going for 4th for a time under Lage he was playing really well and it hit us hard when he got injured at Arsenal.

Good performance, great result. I dont think he was MoM, but Neto makes a massive difference to us, he really does. We arent a bad side at all even with him out, but him in the side adds a bit of fear factor to the opposition.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Can't give GoN enough credit honestly. Is there a single regular in the squad he hasn't improved in some way? You can visibly see how much they're playing for him as well. We more than deserved that point tonight if not more.
Can't believe, given the opportunity, anyone would now swap GON for Lopetegui? I'm shocked by how good he has been and how well it's all turned out.

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
But but but, they pass the ball nice and sell players for loads of money?! Awful club.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Wolves look so much better than Man U or Chelsea (or West Ham, for that matter). They are genuine candidates for top 7. Important to stop them getting 3 points tonight, which we did.
Amazing transformation, as they were clueless against us at Molyneux a few months ago! “

The above I copied and pasted from the Brighton Forum verdict thread ….

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point, especially against such a bogey team.

We do look disjointed around the opposition box though without any central striker. The real danger only arises when Neto drives into the box alone. Cunha really should have made more of the chances on offer. I'm not sure why we had to rush Sasa out of the door, given Hwang's absence, if we weren't bringing anyone in by this stage.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if giving Fraser 15 mins may have helped, given his goal last Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom