Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui Book of Condolences...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Twisting words and lying won't get you anywhere. OLM said that, not me. You really don't have a leg to stand on.
This thread exists because nobody can show, with any degree of credibility, that JL was lied to.

Failing that, I have always thought it very plausible that JL used the media in an effort to squeeze money from Wolves/Fosun regardless of ffp.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread exists because nobody can show, with any degree of credibility, that JL was lied to.

Failing that, I have always thought it very plausible that JL used the media in an effort to squeeze money from Wolves/Fosun regardless of ffp.
Do you think Julen was told that not only would he no money to spend in the summer but we’d also have to sell £100m worth of players?

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot believe this argument t is still raging.

If he’s reading this thread he’ll be laughing his *******s off at all the drama surrounding him and his impact on the club and the fan base.

He kept us up. His expectations for the following season were not met. He left. We paid him some money.

Is he a half decent coach? Almost certainly. Is he someone you turn to again? Maybe not. Is he our problem anymore? Definitely not.

His behaviour appears to have divided the Mix fan base.

Just like transfer targets

And stadium developments

And ticket prices

And Jonny

And Fabio

And Gary

(So, it’s clearly us NOT him ;))

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he had just walked away with out the interviews with Balague, I would have no problem with that either.
My problem is, that he did those interviews knowing the club would end up having to terminate his contract, with a big pay out. Also, the interviews made Wolves look like club not to come to, if you are.player.
At the end of the day, the interviews were geared for the benefit of our last manager and did no favours for Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club,, which at the end of the day, is all I care about.
I couldn't care less about the interviews, I never watched them anyway.

Since the interviews, he's gone, we've bought in a good replacement, we've signed some good players, RAN is back in the fold, Neto, Hwang, Cunha all firing, on balance I think we're in a better place than had he stayed tbh, funny how things play out.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think Julen was told that not only would he no money to spend in the summer but we’d also have to sell £100m worth of players?
Who knows and when did they now this was needed and in actual fact has it been a disaster ? No, so actually maybe JL could have made it work as well as GON has, but he decided to go.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the interviews, I never watched them anyway.

Since the interviews, he's gone, we've bought in a good replacement, we've signed some good players, RAN is back in the fold, Neto, Hwang, Cunha all firing, on balance I think we're in a better place than had he stayed tbh, funny how things play out.
Good post.
Before last season ended, I expressed my concern that I doubted that JL would get us scoring enough this season………based on his dismal record of creating scoring chances and goals while he was here.
At that time I doubted our GD would be much improved by Xmas.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot believe this argument t is still raging.

If he’s reading this thread he’ll be laughing his *******s off at all the drama surrounding him and his impact on the club and the fan base.

He kept us up. His expectations for the following season were not met. He left. We paid him some money.

Is he a half decent coach? Almost certainly. Is he someone you turn to again? Maybe not. Is he our problem anymore? Definitely not.

His behaviour appears to have divided the Mix fan base.

Just like transfer targets

And stadium developments

And ticket prices

And Jonny

And Fabio

And Gary

(So, it’s clearly us NOT him ;))
I think this thread is thriving because we’re all bored……it’s a slow week. This thread will probably continue to fade away and then pop back up from time to time.
We needed a thread to replace the several Adama threads that kept us occupied during slow times.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with most of that, However I don't believe that the way to get money from a huge international company like Fosun, is going on the media and publicising the company broke promises and you could leave. I think that damages the club and could put off new signings now and in the future. The interview was done for the benefit of OL M, by OLM. He knew he would be out the door after that interview. He said he had a contract, but wasn't sure if he would be staying. From then it was just a case of how his contract was terminated.

I would like to add, in my opinion Fosun have always looked after our players and given contracts to players who had given a service but were now past their best. There are numerous examples of this. Maybe they were too decent, I don't know. They seem to treat staff pretty decently by all accounts.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with most of that, However I don't believe that the way to get money from a huge international company like Fosun, is going on the media and publicising the company broke promises and you could leave. I think that damages the club and could put off new signings now and in the future. The interview was done for the benefit of OL M, by OLM. He knew he would be out the door after that interview. He said he had a contract, but wasn't sure if he would be staying. From then it was just a case of how his contract was terminated.

I would like to add, in my opinion Fosun have always looked after our players and given contracts to players who had given a service but were now past their best. There are numerous examples of this. Maybe they were too decent, I don't know. They seem to treat staff pretty decently by all accounts.
Ruddy and Saiss would disagree for a start.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are things we've been over many times. That the Nunes money was released after he left means very little - at that stage Lopetegui knew he couldn't work for Fosun.

I believe the likeliest scenario is he was made promises before he came on the proviso he kept Wolves up, the goalposts were moved, due to a combination of FFP and other external factors, and Fosun didn't breathe a word of it to Lopetegui because they didn't want it to disrupt our bid for survival. I think Lopetegui felt particularly shafted because he kept to his side of the agreement, whereas Fosun bought time and fobbed him off in return. And like any acrimonious breakup, the reaction is more about the whole scenario than a simplistic focus on one specific thing.

Was it the right thing for Fosun to do? Probably, but I don't blame Lopetegui for losing trust in Fosun based on the lack of transparency. The interview was almost certainly more about self-preservation and pay off leverage

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are things we've been over many times. That the Nunes money was released after he left means very little - at that stage Lopetegui knew he couldn't work for Fosun.

I believe the likeliest scenario is he was made promises before he came on the proviso he kept Wolves up, the goalposts were moved, due to a combination of FFP and other external factors, and Fosun didn't breathe a word of it to Lopetegui because they didn't want it to disrupt our bid for survival. I think Lopetegui felt particularly shafted because he kept to his side of the agreement, whereas Fosun bought time and fobbed him off in return.

Was it the right thing to do? Probably, but I don't blame Lopetegui for losing trust in Fosun based on the lack of transparency. The interview was almost certainly more about self-preservation and pay off leverage
Nicely summed up.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think JL wanted to succeed at Wolves but didn’t want to adhere to ffp. He and Jeff agreed to the terms of employment and subsequently JL and his assistants arrived.

JL presumed that if he made a bit of a fuss, that Jeff would somehow cough up money and figure a way around ffp.
He probably thought that he was such a great coach that Wolves would cave and get him the money .

I have always wondered what explanation JL gave to his assistants when told the deal is off…..a few months after they moved to Wolverhampton.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think JL wanted to succeed at Wolves but didn’t want to adhere to ffp. He and Jeff agreed to the terms of employment and subsequently JL and his assistants arrived.

JL presumed that if he made a bit of a fuss, that Jeff would somehow cough up money and figure a way around ffp.
He probably thought that he was such a great coach that Wolves would cave and get him the money .

I have always wondered what explanation JL gave to his assistants when told the deal is off…..a few months after they moved to Wolverhampton.
Nicely summed up.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I believe the likeliest scenario is he was made promises before he came on the proviso he kept Wolves up, the goalposts were moved, due to a combination of FFP and other external factors, and Fosun didn't breathe a word of it to Lopetegui because they didn't want it to disrupt our bid for survival. I think Lopetegui felt particularly shafted because he kept to his side of the agreement, whereas Fosun bought time and fobbed him off in return. And like any acrimonious breakup, the reaction is more about the whole scenario than a simplistic focus on one specific thing.

Was it the right thing for Fosun to do? Probably, but I don't blame Lopetegui for losing trust in Fosun based on the lack of transparency. The interview was almost certainly more about self-preservation and pay off leverage
It means everything, it means you don't know what's round the corner, that you don't give up when things get a little difficult, that you pick yourself up, and dust yourself down and show some faith. I respect his decision, but makes you wonder about his backbone!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

You are funny, you won't believe a tweet from Romano, but you'll happily make up a load of stuff based on absolutely nothing. Is there a single quote, suggestion, rumour, tweet from a 12 year old that gives you the idea that Lopetegui expected Wolves to operate in breach of FFP?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It means everything, it means you don't know what's round the corner, that you don't give up when things get a little difficult, that you pick yourself up, and dust yourself down and show some faith. I respect his decision, but makes you wonder about his backbone!
Or maybe once bitten twice shy.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are funny, you won't believe a tweet from Romano, but you'll happily make up a load of stuff based on absolutely nothing. Is there a single quote, suggestion, rumour, tweet from a 12 year old that gives you the idea that Lopetegui expected Wolves to operate in breach of FFP?
Wasting your breath mate, those seeking/demanding "facts" love a little speculation when it suits their agenda.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
JL’s a bit of a busted flush. Yes he was brought in to do a job and he succeeded, no doubt about that but as a long term manager I have my doubts?

His track record at other clubs is nothing to write home about when considering how it all ended at those clubs respectively.

As I’ve alluded to, he served his purpose so let’s move on.

Got a feeling that if he works back in the Prem only history will repeat itself.

loppers86

Reaction score
JL’s a bit of a busted flush. Yes he was brought in to do a job and he succeeded, no doubt about that but as a long term manager I have my doubts?

His track record at other clubs is nothing to write home about when considering how it all ended at those clubs respectively.

As I’ve alluded to, he served his purpose so let’s move on.

Got a feeling that if he works back in the Prem only history will repeat itself.
like it does with JL and pretty much all other managers. Difference seems to be that JL sacks the clubs, not the other way round.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course I don’t believe a tweet from Romano….are you kidding me?
If he tweeted that, eg, Rashford is coming to Wolves in Jan. would you believe, hook , line and sinker?

And if you’ve being paying attention you’ll realize that all the theories are all made up …..the whole thread.Nobody has seen JL’s contract, or we’re privy to any and all. discussions at Compton.

Why?…..because none of us have enough facts to be sure, so we come up with reasonable plausible explanations as why JL left.
Take your pick of which scenario suits you best.
Personally, I suspect that he was asked to leave.

There‘s point in lying to JL. Football is a small ‘industry’ and Wolves wouldn’t want to sully their name by cheating players or coaches……..word would get round pretty quick.
Try signing new people if the scuttlebutt is that Wolves can’t be trusted.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Of course I don’t believe a tweet from Romano….are you kidding me?
If he tweeted that, eg, Rashford is coming to Wolves in Jan. would you believe, hook , line and sinker?

And if you’ve being paying attention you’ll realize that all the theories are all made up …..the whole thread.Nobody has seen JL’s contract, or we’re privy to any and all. discussions at Compton.

Why?…..because none of us have enough facts to be sure, so we come up with reasonable plausible explanations as why JL left.
Take your pick of which scenario suits you best.
Personally, I suspect that he was asked to leave.

There‘s point in lying to JL. Football is a small ‘industry’ and Wolves wouldn’t want to sully their name by cheating players or coaches……..word would get round pretty quick.
Try signing new people if the scuttlebutt is that Wolves can’t be trusted.
Romano, the most respected football source on twitter, said Al Ittihad offered Lopetegui the manager's job.
Hobbs, the club's sporting director said the budget available for transfers was reduced.
Hobbs said Lopetegui said he didn't want to carry on after the Celtic game.

These are actual sources you need to base a theory on, not just random thoughts from your imagination.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
like it does with JL and pretty much all other managers. Difference seems to be that JL sacks the clubs, not the other way round.
OLM doesn't sack the clubs, he looks for ways to get sacked, by telling the clubs he is thinking of leaving, if he doesn't get what he wants, with a pay off of course.

There is a big difference.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Romano, the most respected football source on twitter, said Al Ittihad offered Lopetegui the manager's job.

These are actual sources you need to base a theory on, not just random thoughts from your imagination.
Not true, Romano said he got the story from AS sportspaper in Spain. Gabilondo was the author of the article and he didn't mention the source, eventhough he got the story from a source. No source has been mentioned, but Romano clearly stated he got the story from AS.
If you are going to be patronising to other posters, because they have a different opinion to yours, at least check your own facts first. Lol.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Not true, Romano said he got the story from AS sportspaper in Spain. Gabilondo was the author of the article and he didn't mention the source, eventhough he got the story from a source. No source has been mentioned, but Romano clearly stated he got the story from AS.
If you are going to be patronising to other posters, because they have a different opinion to yours, at least check your own facts first. Lol.
I accept that once a story starts these days it's hard to trace its origins and often one source causes lots of different reports. However it was reported everywhere and I've never seen anything that says it was denied anywhere.

'Multiple sources inside and outside the Kingdom'

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if you think you've been **** on you should help them out?
**** on??? Don't be so dramatic, the landscape changed, he didn't need to cry like a baby, should have got on with it and shown everyone what a good manager he is.

He wasn't helping out, he was employed by the club to do a job, get on with it and do your job.

I rated JL was elated when he came and gutted when he left, but he **** out, which is fine and his choice, but GON has done great and long may it continue.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** on??? Don't be so dramatic, the landscape changed, he didn't need to cry like a baby, should have got on with it and shown everyone what a good manager he is.

He wasn't helping out, he was employed by the club to do a job, get on with it and do your job.

I rated JL was elated when he came and gutted when he left, but he **** out, which is fine and his choice, but GON has done great and long may it continue.
The trust between him and the board was gone. He wasnt happy and left and you just saying he should have got on with it is nonsense.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs, the club's sporting director said the budget available for transfers was reduced.
Hobbs said Lopetegui said he didn't want to carry on after the Celtic game.

First of all…..without all the facts, it seems that many posters are using their imagination……..which is normal. Only difference is that I only offer something as a possibility, unlike others on here, as fact.
I don’t know for sure what happened but I can postulate like everyone else.

Now you’re quoting Hobbs……good, an official source.
So he said the transfer budget was reduced. Ok, fine. I accept that. But when was the budget reduced and was JL lied to before he set foot in England. As we all know, plans and budgets change all the time in companies, sometimes for unforeseen reasons. Everyone is expected to adapt.

And yes, I believe Hobbs about the Celtic game. …….because it’s official.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The trust between him and the board was gone. He wasnt happy and left and you just saying he should have got on with it is nonsense.
More drama. How do you know that? My impression of it was that it wasn't an acrimonious split, they realised they weren't on the same page, the money wasn't there and he felt he couldn't do the job without more money (funny how a massively less experienced manager can), fair play to JL he even stuck around for a bit after he decided to go.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More drama. How do you know that? My impression of it was that it wasn't an acrimonious split, they realised they weren't on the same page, the money wasn't there and he felt he couldn't do the job without more money (funny how a massively less experienced manager can), fair play to JL he even stuck around for a bit after he decided to go.
It was acrimonious between Julen and Shi.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First of all…..without all the facts, it seems that many posters are using their imagination……..which is normal. Only difference is that I only offer something as a possibility, unlike others on here, as fact.
I don’t know for sure what happened but I can postulate like everyone else.

Now you’re quoting Hobbs……good, an official source.
So he said the transfer budget was reduced. Ok, fine. I accept that. But when was the budget reduced and was JL lied to before he set foot in England. As we all know, plans and budgets change all the time in companies, sometimes for unforeseen reasons. Everyone is expected to adapt.

And yes, I believe Hobbs about the Celtic game. …….because it’s official.
Wolves decided for whatever reason to remove the backing that he was told he was getting so he decided to leave. I think that pretty much covers it.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
This point is getting a bit lost in the squabble and frankly absolute tosh that's in some of this thread though. I've got nothing against O'Neil, he might even be doing a job as Lopetegui could have done with this squad. That's all fine, I can think the club shafted Lopetegui and also that (surprised as I am to be honest) O'Neil was a good replacement in the circumstances. However Lopetegui wasn't sold the dream of fighting to make a reasonable squad achieve comfortable survival, he wanted to fight for a European place. So of course he could have done the job, he just didn't want to do the job as it is now.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This point is getting a bit lost in the squabble and frankly absolute tosh that's in some of this thread though. I've got nothing against O'Neil, he might even be doing a job as Lopetegui could have done with this squad. That's all fine, I can think the club shafted Lopetegui and also that (surprised as I am to be honest) O'Neil was a good replacement in the circumstances. However Lopetegui wasn't sold the dream of fighting to make a reasonable squad achieve comfortable survival, he wanted to fight for a European place. So of course he could have done the job, he just didn't want to do the job as it is now.
I agree there's a lot of tosh about JL, and his behaviour and lot of tosh about Fosun and their response to financial challenges.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you think he didn't want to do a job as it was at the time? He was earning a fortune.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you think he didn't want to do a job as it was at the time? He was earning a fortune.
I'm sure he's already a very wealthy man, he just didn't fancy a different challenge, once the landscape changed.

Back
Top Bottom