Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played 4-4-2

Did people watch the same game?
We've been 4-4-2 for quite a few games. Rayan has been left midfield predominantly.....

When Doyle I think it was who came on with the note on about 80 mins....the message he passed to kilman was go a back 5.....cause kilman immediately shouted to Doherty to go to a back 5..

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that we knew we have Arsenal on Saturday, I thought that when Joao Gomes got booked (so would be suspended) GON should have immediately substituted Lemina with Boubacar. We wouldn't have lost much in terms of our midfield and Lemina would be available for Saturday.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Subs seemed all over the place.....Sarabia, Traore and Fabio had more of claim than Sasa and Doyle, given how the game was
being played. We were losing the midfield, which needed strengthening. Sasa's immobility became a problem, although his
presence did help win the penalty. Both Lemina and Gomes were hampered by their cards, and, at least one of them needed
replacing.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that we knew we have Arsenal on Saturday, I thought that when Joao Gomes got booked (so would be suspended) GON should have immediately substituted Lemina with Boubacar. We wouldn't have lost much in terms of our midfield and Lemina would be available for Saturday.
Would rather have both lemina and Gomes suspension out the way and clear for Burnley and forest ......

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Subs seemed all over the place.....Sarabia, Traore and Fabio had more of claim than Sasa and Doyle, given how the game was
being played. We were losing the midfield, which needed strengthening. Sasa's immobility became a problem, although his
presence did help win the penalty. Both Lemina and Gomes were hampered by their cards, and, at least one of them needed
replacing.
Yea I'd agree with this. I don't know how to phrase it without contradicting myself but the subs we made seemed like they were made to change what type of game it was. Maybe the three subs you mentioned might have allowed us to win the type of game that was happening at the time. It makes sense in my head, kind of.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just watched the post-match on Prime.

OK.

I’m sold.

And I was wrong.

But I believe now.

Gary O’Neil seriously is the real deal.

Yeah, yeah i know it was Burnley… I know it was only 1-0… I know it’s not been perfect…
But he‘s getting the best out of good players here, and we’ve not seen this since Nuno days…. aaand I love it

Boy, was I wrong…

1-0 when you don’t play well in the Premier League is like 6 pts. Beating a team in the bottom 12 is also like 6 pts.

We’re building something here I feel, and our Gazza is at the heart of it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

OK.

I’m sold.

And I was wrong.

But I believe now.

Yeah, yeah i know it was Burnley… I know it was only 1-0… I know it’s not been perfect…
But he‘s getting the best out of good players here, and we’ve not seen this since Nuno days…. aaand I love it

Boy, was I wrong…

1-0 when you don’t play well in the Premier League is like 6 pts. Beating a team in the bottom 12 is also like 6 pts.

If tonight was “the best of the players” against a team like Burnley then we should be worried!!!!

They are massively over coached and flair/creativity has almost disappeared from the team.

The rigidity of a gameplan isn’t a good thing when you play a team as poor as Burnley, shef utd and Luton all teams we have massively struggled with under GON.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tonight the tactics leave me scratching head. Could been better.
Must be more front foot we could have used traore and bellegarde so much earlier they made an impact at 80 but could have stretched and cemented the game earlier.

We need to shoot and need to see more progressive play.

Was a game for Doyle and bellegarde imo

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

OK.

I’m sold.

And I was wrong.

But I believe now.

Boy, was I wrong…

Yep, 100%. Just said almost this word for word to my wife, who I lost a bet to earlier this season when I was convinced we’d lose, but she had trust in Gary.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If tonight was “the best of the players” against a team like Burnley then we should be worried!!!!

They are massively over coached and flair/creativity has almost disappeared from the team.

The rigidity of a gameplan isn’t a good thing when you play a team as poor as Burnley, shef utd and Luton all teams we have massively struggled with under GON.
Mmm I think we had a zero flair team other than cunha out tonight . Creativity was sarabia

It's clear ran Neto cunha jrb ( was June's was our creativity and flair)

We had a very workman team out

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m just going to point out that our recent history against Burnley has been anything but impressive. It’s the result and score which counts.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Must be more front foot we could have used traore and bellegarde so much earlier they made an impact at 80 but could have stretched and cemented the game earlier.

We need to shoot and need to see more progressive play.

Was a game for Doyle and bellegarde imo

So your solution to be more attacking is play more attack minded players from the start.

Sounds awfully cliche.

I'm sure Gary had his reasons not to.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

OK.

I’m sold.

And I was wrong.

But I believe now.

Boy, was I wrong…

I couldn't disagree more about tonight. It was horribly reminiscent of us vs Bournemouth last season except GON had better players available tonight. 11 men behind the ball against sodding Burnley.....

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just going to point out that our recent history against Burnley has been anything but impressive. It’s the result and score which counts.

We are talking about the here and now….

Comparing old Burnley and old wolves to where we both are now is 100% irrelevant, when talking about this season and the fact they are newly promoted and a much worse team than the one you are showing stats/results for against us……

Also you are talking about a dyche Burnley……. Who were a much better Burnley than the one we played tonight….. they wouldn’t have conceded that goal we scored tonight as they would have been defensively much better.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Drawing away at another Premier League, with 10 men from the first half, is no disgrace.
We were cheated of points at Sheffiekd United and we beat Bournemouth away and Burnley at home and we are 11 points out of the relegation zone and it's not even Christmas yet.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So your solution to be more attacking is play more attack minded players from the start.

Sounds awfully cliche.

I'm sure Gary had his reasons not to.
Not at all I was suggesting Doyle and bellegarde at 50 or traore bellegarde at 50 Doyle on for sarabia at 70

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drawing away at another Premier League, with 10 men from the first half, is no disgrace.
We were cheated of points at Sheffiekd United and we beat Bournemouth away and Burnley at home and we are 11 points out of the relegation zone and it's not even Christmas yet.
We were **** before the red card at Luton….. sorry but we scored a wonder goal that only Pedro scores against the run of play. They smashed the post in the first half.

And cheated or not, we were **** against shef United and for many the **** performance is forgotten about because of the pen. But shef United were the much better team second half.

Bad VAR aside, we have put in some rank performances/halves of football…..,

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are talking about the here and now….

Comparing old Burnley and old wolves to where we both are now is 100% irrelevant, when talking about this season and the fact they are newly promoted and a much worse team than the one you are showing stats/results for against us……

Also you are talking about a dyche Burnley……. Who were a much better Burnley than the one we played tonight….. they wouldn’t have conceded that goal we scored tonight as they would have been defensively much better.

Utter rubbish. This Burnley ****ed all over the Champ last season. They ****ed all over Sheffield United at the weekend, who were down there with them. They haven’t gone backwards, this league is tough. This was exactly the kind of game Nuno era Wolves, as good as it was, would have struggled with. The fact we prepared for it properly, and did a job on them, is credit to Gary and the team.

And in general terms, look at head to head records, and irrespective of the stature of teams, there are match ups with teams struggle with year in, year out. My wife is a Boro fan, so I should bloody well know! So I’ll take a workman like 1-0 home win, and give the boys credit, and I won’t whinge and moan that we didn’t run circles around them.

PS. Having just read your prior post, I see now it’s pointless trying to debate with you as you’ve clearly made your mind up.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were **** before the red card at Luton….. sorry but we scored a wonder goal that only Pedro scores against the run of play. They smashed the post in the first half.

And cheated or not, we were **** against shef United and for many the **** performance is forgotten about because of the pen. But shef United were the much better team second half.

Out played Man City, Man Utd and Newcastle, not bad for relegation favourites.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tonight the tactics leave me scratching head. Could been better.

Not sure if it was the tactics or the overall mentality that made us seem overly cautious. There were times when we had a bit of space for a couple of seconds - which is as much as you get at this level. But we played safety first nearly every time. Stop and play the safe pass. Seems like we've be doing this, off and (mostly) on, for years?

Almost felt like we needed a VAR decision against us to get us going!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utter rubbish. This Burnley ****ed all over the Champ last season. They ****ed all over Sheffield United at the weekend, who were down there with them. They haven’t gone backwards, this league is tough. This was exactly the kind of game Nuno era Wolves, as good as it was, would have struggled with. The fact we prepared for it properly, and did a job on them, is credit to Gary and the team.

And in general terms, look at head to head records, and irrespective of the stature of teams, there are match ups with teams struggle with year in, year out. My wife is a Boro fan, so I should bloody well know! So I’ll take a workman like 1-0 home win, and give the boys credit, and I won’t whinge and moan that we didn’t run circles around them.
Massive difference and leap up in class between the prem and the championship. Also lost a number of their better players as they were loanees even many Burnley fans feel the team is worse than last season so you are speaking total rot mate…..

They are bottom of the league for a reason….. it is because they are a crap team!!!

The three newly promoted teams this season are amongst the three worst teams to ever come up and they came up at the same time.

So justifying your stance because they battered another crap newly promoted team isn’t a great point.

This season is going to be a record low points benchmark for a reason….. because of Burnley, shef United and Luton being so ****

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out played Man City, Man Utd and Newcastle, not bad for relegation favourites.
Out played city….. stop it…….. they had most of the shots and possession…….

Didn’t say every game has been bad did I? I said we have dropped some rank halves and performances and I am sorry that cannot be denied….,

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would argue this is a better team than Dyche’s. Less cynical maybe, Utd they play better football.
you need to speak to an actual Burnley fan…. As I can tell you the ones I know do not agree with you one bit!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
We really miss Neto for the vital attacking spark. The form he was in (the league leaders want him, after all) is several places difference in the league table for us.

Missing two players who can do something out of the ordinary in Neto and RAN.

I don’t know how you could fit them all in but I’d love to see a front six of:

Neto, Lemina, Bellegarde, RAN
Cunha, Hwang

Full of running power, pace and flair.

stevev53

Reaction score

Do you actually support us or what !,,,,

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well according to most football pundits and Betting companies, we were certainties to be relegated this year and as bad or worse than the **** teams you are on about. So to be 11 points clear of the relegation zone after beating someone that often beats us, makes me chuffed as ****.
Ah ok, so my opinion of our team should be based on bookies who don’t base it on science….. they base it on where the money is.

This is the weakest promoted teams group ever!!! It will be the lowest survival points target ever so I am sorry if I don’t party in the streets and jump for joy that we are clear of them by as many as we are. We have a squad that should be comfortably 12th-14th in this league with the potential to do more with the right game plan.

I am happy we won, but someone was saying that tonight was the gon getting the best out of the group. When I am sorry I don’t think he is.

Why didn’t bellegarde get on sooner? Where was Doyle?

Two subs that could and would have improved our attacking options and chances to score. He delayed the subs so long bueno has pulled up and they started to get a foothold of momentum when they were there to be killed off.

This Burnley team would have been spanked by a Nuno team from the first two seasons, as this Burnley side is crap compared to the disciplined and aggressive Burnley team of dyche.

Back
Top Bottom