Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather see Fraser play, also, we desperately need another left winger. Silva shouldn't be coming on to play on the wing.

bigwolf

Reaction score
I find it odd why Cunha doesn't get the same level of criticism as Silva.

His contribution to games is woeful time and again.

And the game passes him 90% of the time.

Three goals and one assist it 25 games I think it is now for central role. It's **** poor.

He is older and cost a chunk more than Silva.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I realise he wasn’t on for long but there is something intrinsically wrong with our strikers full stop other than Hwang .None of Cunha, Sasa or Silva managed a shot on target ,and as a collective we rarely do .Again, other than Hwang we don’t possess a natural striker/ finisher in the club

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Here's a scary thought - he came on when I'd have thought Sarabia would have been the obvious swap. How out of favour must he be? Or were we intending to go to a 442, which I didn't see happen in the 8 mins with 11 on the pitch?

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
He should play in the under 21s. Will keep him match fit, sharpen him up and get him competing. He looked lost yesterday

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There's a thread around calling him "another dud". He was getting lots of criticism, but after the Man U game, improved a bit. Probably because of his age, plus the wish for him to come good based on his cost, Silva has in general been given more tolerance and leeway than Cunha. And Hwang and several others.

I know it's only subjective, but on the ratings site "WhoScored", Cunha is our 4th highest player this season, averaging 6.9 out of 10. His problem is end product, especially finishing.

In terms of play, he's surprised me this season in that in a deeper , central role. he looks more like the kind of player I expected Nunes to be, getting us up the pitch. The surprise with Fabio is that he looks behind the level that I thought he was and it shows that 12 goals in the Belgian league doesn't equate to much in the Premier League.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah looks at the usual lot rubbing themselves off with glee.

Do you mind giving us a heads up when Fabio leaves as to who will be the new scapegoat?
He's not a scapegoat for overall team performances. He's just being rightly pointed out as having had plenty of time to live up to his potential and hasn't done so. Or has, but not in the premier league. I really hope he does but I don't think he will.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Serious question? If he was to move in January, what kind of fee could we realistically expect to be offered? I think another loan move may be most beneficial to both parties, but I'm pretty ambivalent if he should stay or go.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Three goals and one assist it 25 games I think it is now for central role. It's **** poor.

It will come if he doesn't improve. Silva has a 3 year start !

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think I've got it in me to cringe as much anymore when watching him.

He is just not good enough. And that is being insanely kind.

Do you know what, for what he gets paid and what we paid for him, a spade is a spade - he is utterly dreadful.

We could have got money for him in the summer, that is what frustrates me the most.
Because we didn't invest in recruitment, we couldn't sell him.
And in January his value drops again.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Serious question? If he was to move in January, what kind of fee could we realistically expect to be offered? I think another loan move may be most beneficial to both parties, but I'm pretty ambivalent if he should stay or go.
I think we'd be doing ok to get between £10 to £20 million for Silva. Unless something drastically changes with Silva, I can't see him starting a fifth season with us in 2024/25.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cunha does contribute in games. He helps to win the ball back in transition and supports attacks. At the moment, he’s far more effective that Silva. Whether either contributes as much as their fees demand is a moot point, but neither of them are responsible for how much we were willing to pay to buy them.

T

TheConcourse

Another in a long list of forwards who look crap in our system.

When you’re asking players to be the hold-up man, run in behind, battle against big CB’s it’s really tough.

We don’t make strikers look good, and I have no doubts that if we do ever sign a quick CB, we might be able to switch to a back four to get another on the pitch.

Until then, I expect we’ll always struggle to sign a striker that looks the part. Raul was one in a million.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we'd be doing ok to get between £10 to £20 million for Silva. Unless something drastically changes with Silva, I can't see him starting a fifth season with us in 2024/25.

It depends on the role he's prepared to play here.

If he remains happy with a bit-part backup role, he will be home-grown going into next season and on that basis, I think he's worth hanging on to.

If he sulks about not having enough game-time again, he will be off.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His performance yesterday showed all the worrying signs we saw in him when he arrived and subsequently. Despite seemingly bulking up in Netherlands, he doesn't seem to be able to use his upper body strength to hold off or pressure defenders. Defensively, he routinely gives away free-kicks in dangerous positions when we need to simply block options for the attacking side, and also gives away free-kicks or is offside when we are on the attack. I've backed him 100% since he's been here, but I think going to Netherlands was better for his sale value than his development - a spell in the championship would probably have helped ready him for the PL better than the sub-standard Eredivisie, which we've seen many times over the years is not the ideal breeding ground for PL success

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly think at times he just needs to calm down he is way to emotional when playing... Was one moment at the weekend where he just needed to take a touch and run with the ball but he just keeps on trying to do things at 100 miles an hour and ended up losing the ball under no pressure!

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

When you’re asking players to be the hold-up man, run in behind, battle against big CB’s it’s really tough.

We don’t make strikers look good, and I have no doubts that if we do ever sign a quick CB, we might be able to switch to a back four to get another on the pitch.

Until then, I expect we’ll always struggle to sign a striker that looks the part. Raul was one in a million.

Our formation and style of play is the common denominator. We've signed numerous strikers - and they're not all crap.

I see Fabio as an 'on the shoulder' of a defener type striker, simialr to Afobe. I would have thought that yesterdays game was ideal for him, given Villa's ridiculously high line, yet when he came on it was to do a job at left midfield.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got a run of games from now until Christmas where we will need to play two strikers at many points, so he will get minutes.

Our fixtures have been extremely tough and the most winnable games have all been away from home, which makes them a lot harder straight away.

Fabio will have until Christmas and the game time will come.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Little to no evidence he's going to fulfill potential but also not been that involved recently.

A 21 Yr old on the pitch for a handful of minutes and that's enough to write him off.

I fear we may have now settled for a tactic where no striker will shine to grind out points for survival. Fabio might as well leave now if this is the case

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our formation and style of play is the common denominator. We've signed numerous strikers - and they're not all crap.

I see Fabio as an 'on the shoulder' of a defener type striker, simialr to Afobe. I would have thought that yesterdays game was ideal for him, given Villa's ridiculously high line, yet when he came on it was to do a job at left midfield.

To be fair, he might have got some chances to run in behind from that Hwang position, playing off Sasa, but we went down to 10 4 minutes after his introduction. So he then had to make up a midfield 3 with Traore and Neto.

I do think him and Sasa could be a good partnership. Especially in a 2 with someone like Bellegarde in behind them.

There's a lot of games left this season and we might see that sort of setup at some stage if injuries start creeping in. Only problem for Silva is he's probably behind Cunha, Hwang and Neto to partner Sasa in a 2, so would need a full blown injury crisis and a change of shape to get a start at the moment.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks way off the pace and for the life of me why they don't loan him in the Championship I never know.

A few bruisers in that league to toughen him up a bit .

Playing in the Dutch or Belgium leagues he won't get that .

I do think he looks for the foul to early when challenged at times . Rather than playing on and moving forward he just goes to ground looking at the Ref for a foul.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, he might have got some chances to run in behind from that Hwang position, playing off Sasa, but we went down to 10 4 minutes after his introduction. So he then had to make up a midfield 3 with Traore and Neto.

I do think him and Sasa could be a good partnership. Especially in a 2 with someone like Bellegarde in behind them.

There's a lot of games left this season and we might see that sort of setup at some stage if injuries start creeping in. Only problem for Silva is he's probably behind Cunha, Hwang and Neto to partner Sasa in a 2, so would need a full blown injury crisis and a change of shape to get a start at the moment.

I can't see us going 2 up top unless we're chasing a game to be honest.

We saw it with Costa and Cunha for a game or 2 last season, but other than that I can't remember a time since Jimenez/Jota?

I did a breakdown of all the teams in the Premier League a few weeks ago, and the only ones I found who played 2 up top were the 3 promoted teams.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see us going 2 up top unless we're chasing a game to be honest.

We saw it with Costa and Cunha for a game or 2 last season, but other than that I can't remember a time since Jimenez/Jota?

I did a breakdown of all the teams in the Premier League a few weeks ago, and the only ones I found who played 2 up top were the 3 promoted teams.

Not a 442 like last season, a 352. It's not actually too dissimilar to how we are setting up already. If you dropped Cunha 10 yards into an attacking midfielder role, and narrowed Neto and Hwang, you'd have something similar anyway.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a 442 like last season, a 352. It's not actually too dissimilar to how we are setting up already. If you dropped Cunha 10 yards into an attacking midfielder role, and narrowed Neto and Hwang, you'd have something similar anyway.

But surely then you're taking away the strongest part of Hwang and Neto's games?

I like Fabio but we can't tailor the formation to suit him. If we stick with the current formation we need to recruit to suit it, as we did so well under Nuno

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But surely then you're taking away the strongest part of Hwang and Neto's games?

I like Fabio but we can't tailor the formation to suit him. If we stick with the current formation we need to recruit to suit it, as we did so well under Nuno

I'm not saying to play Neto and Hwang there, just an example of how setting up with 2 up top isn't too dissimilar to how we set up already, you're just tweaking the front 3 slightly. Could work for certain games.

I think Bellegarde, Sasa and Fabio would work better in a 352, whereas Cunha, Hwang and Neto clearly work very well in a 343.

Fabio should be challenging for that central in a 343, playing the Cunha role. But he's probably behind both Cunha and Sasa for that role at the moment.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
I still think Fabio will come good….unfortunately just not for us. Was thinking about our lack of goals from forwards last night and why they look so poor in this team and if I’m honest I think it’s because of the way we play and have done for years now. We don’t exactly pepper the oppositions goal and it would be interesting to gauge how many touches we have in the opposition box in an average game. Most of our central strikers touches tend to be from deep…hence why they look a shadow of themselves…play them in a more attacking formation and I’m certain they would thrive.

T

TheConcourse

I should have been more clear with my sarcasm.

I agree. The players aren’t usually the problem. The system is very tough as a front man in our team.

Would love to see Cunha drop into CM. Genuinely think he could replicate Joelinton at Newcastle. Similar attributes.

Would help us get the other attacker on the pitch too.

loppers86

Reaction score
i’ve always supported him and think (or is it hope?) he’ll make a good player for somebody eventually. I’d be amazed if it’s with us though. He simply shows nothing for us. I think it’s sensible
for everyone if he moves on in January now.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loan him to the championship in January.

Luke Cundle is actually older than Silva and doing well in the championship.

I still think it's a bit early to be writing Silva off

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I should have been more clear with my sarcasm.

I agree. The players aren’t usually the problem. The system is very tough as a front man in our team.

Would love to see Cunha drop into CM. Genuinely think he could replicate Joelinton at Newcastle. Similar attributes.

Would help us get the other attacker on the pitch too.
I thought Cunha was playing in midfield.

Gedwolf

Reaction score
Looks way off the pace and for the life of me why they don't loan him in the Championship I never know.

A few bruisers in that league to toughen him up a bit.........
Not a great idea, they'll soon get fed up with his hugs and cuddles.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yet Sasa on barely one leg after a year out looks half decent. As does Hwang, who some said is the worst transfer the club has ever made. And some of us can remember players like Jota, at a similar age to Fabio, right there in front of us, in an even harder system for a forward, yet looking 10 times the player Fabio ever has.

Don't get me wrong, I think Fabio will score goals at some point, he's not a total write off. I just don't think it will be all that many at highest level. And I suspect we may still have to wait 3 or 4 more years for them.

I think we just keep signing crap strikers, hoping that they will turn into something they are not. Though if Sasa hadn't had that injury, I reckon he could have been a 12+ goal striker also chipping in with assists. Maybe next season?

Reactions: Ian

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What´s there to discuss?
The guy is absolutely useless at Premier League levels.
I think he would struggle in the Chumpionship as well.
Not suited at all for this football,and he will never make it in our current surroundings.
It is time to wave goodbye to the subpar footballer that is Fabio Silva.
Enough is indeed enough..if we can extract a couple of mills out of anyone anywhere then let´s do it and let´s finally move on from this complete failure.
Just look at the guy and his actions yesterday.Clueless and absolutely no quality in any department at all.
The ball bounces off him like he has never seen a football before in his life.Makes stupid decisions all the time and give away foolish fouls.
Can´t jump can´t run.
He is a total waste of space.
Get rid ASAP.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who believes that he has it in him to be a goalscorer in the Premier League??
I’d lIke to think he could be but I can’t judge him by the little time he’s had playing……especially lack of starting regularly.
Maybe he’d score in some other team…..Wolves create so few reasonable scoring chances that you can’t judge any striker if they were in our team.

However regarding Silva, I can’t guess what’s going to happen with him.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who believes that he has it in him to be a goalscorer in the Premier League??
I certainly don’t, Waggy, and never have!

I think I know a decent striker when I see one, having been brought up on the likes of Dougan, Richards, Bully, Sturridge, Iwelumo, Raul, Jota etc.

I have seen absolutely nothing from our generational talent that makes me think he will make a decent Premier League striker. Silva has been here long enough now and we are still hoping that he can make it. How much longer must we keep asking the same question?

I honestly wouldn’t bat at an eyelid if we sold him. Very sad, but very true imo.

Back
Top Bottom