Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we win the double it will look terrible!! If JL signs for Sheff Utd and takes them into Europe, on the other hand.... "If" is a very flexible word, you can do anything with it.
But what is taken for granted is that we are definitely going to get relegated. Meanwhile we are not in the relegation zone, Neto is looking in as good form as ever, and we have a young squad who still look like they are capable of scoring goals.
We've played two home games. It's weird how quickly everything has been written off. It's a bit weird that relegation is somehow seen as our default fate given the results and performances so far. It's like people want the club to be more on fire than it actually is.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Project?
Why do people keep referring to something that has never ever existed?
Fosun will have had their own reasons for buying the club .
The notion that it was a vehicle for them to plow money into because they saw an opportunity to be Champions League winners is ridiculous.
If JL ever believed something as naive as then he is a fool.
Far more likely he saw an opportunity to feather his own nest (not saying there is anything wrong with that)
There seem to be “projects “ all over the place.
Just a pile of nonsense

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. And if O’Neil takes us to somewhere near mid-table without any further investment then he deserves all the credit in the world.

And he’ll have massively increased his reputation and should theoretically have bigger clubs looking at him…

Here’s hoping!
Again, I'm not sure I see this.
Mid table should be the default for the amount of investment that Fosun have put in over the years. We have 100 million pounds of strikers on the books. It takes one of them coming good.
I don't see brentford or Fulham or villa as being miles away from us.
If we finish 17th I'll be massively disappointed, and judging by some of the furore over our current form/results so would most of this forum.
If we finish 12th under GON there will be people calling for his head at the end of the season, partly because they never liked him to begin with.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is a perfectly reasonable statement to make and if he retracts that statement he would have no balls. I think you just don't like that statement. Maybe complain to points of view?
Ryan's statement isn't just a point of view, it contains a claim of fact - that Lopetegui applied for the Spurs job this Summer when he was still contractually obligated to Wolves. You can enter a legal grey area if you make such claims and cannot support them with evidence, which is why he should probably withdraw it. I don't believe Lopetegui would pursue him for defamation, but is it worth the risk for a few retweets?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Mid table should be the default for the amount of investment that Fosun have put in over the years. We have 100 million pounds of strikers on the books. It takes one of them coming good.
If we finish 17th I'll be massively disappointed, and judging by some of the furore over our current form/results so would most of this forum.
If we finish 12th under GON there will be people calling for his head at the end of the season, partly because they never liked him to begin with.

I thought O’Neil was the wrong appointment but if he takes us to 12th this season he’ll have more than earned the benefit of any doubt going into next year.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I never liked him to begin with, but if he gets us to 12th by the end of the season I'll walk bare footed to Compton and lick his boots clean.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have people forgotten his remarks in the media even before the season was finished. Became the Mr Julen Lopetegui show for a while. Yes Fosun/Jeff certainly to blame but he and his staff were paid a fortune he wasn't do as a favour out of the kindness of his heart.
In hindsight both parties should have shook hands and both moved on after the Arsenal game. We would be in a better position and he may have a new job by now.
He negotiated the severance deal. The club obviously agreed but didn't have to.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought O’Neil was the wrong appointment but if he takes us to 12th this season he’ll have more than earned the benefit of any doubt going into next year.
It rather depends doesn't it. Lage had us 10th but walking wounded. I think we would have done better to get someone in that summer to replace him.
If we win a couple on the bounce people's expectations change very quickly. 7th wasn't good enough for some.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have people forgotten his remarks in the media even before the season was finished. Became the Mr Julen Lopetegui show for a while. Yes Fosun/Jeff certainly to blame but he and his staff were paid a fortune he wasn't do as a favour out of the kindness of his heart.
In hindsight both parties should have shook hands and both moved on after the Arsenal game. We would be in a better position and he may have a new job by now.
Would have been better if he moved on before the Arsenal game. Might have had a better result.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui, O’Neil, Jeff, Fosun.. what have we done to deserve any of these clowns.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never liked him to begin with, but if he gets us to 12th by the end of the season I'll walk bare footed to Compton and lick his boots clean.
You won't though. 12th is about 42-44 points these days. It will be about 11 wins 5 draws from the remaining 32 games. I can't see him surviving 16 more losses somehow. 21 games where we would have won if only he wore chinos. There is absolutely no chance

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was an advert for work and telling people it wasn't his fault, while he counts his millions, like he always does.

It is pure Julen Lopetegui and why I detest the ****.
Not sure who would take him in the Premier. Doubt the big 7 would touch him, hes not successful enough. The bottom half teams wouldn't have the funds to satisfy him. Can only think maybe villa or West ham? Brighton not notorious massive spenders. Maybe Saudi Arabia would suit him better.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure who would take him in the Premier. Doubt the big 7 would touch him, hes not successful enough. The bottom half teams wouldn't have the funds to satisfy him. Can only think maybe villa or West ham? Brighton not notorious massive spenders. Maybe Saudi Arabia would suit him better.

West Ham, Palace, Brentford, Brighton, Villa, Bournemouth, Everton (if they get wealthy owners not 777), to name a few. Depends entirely on things happening at these clubs, but that’s the level I imagine he would be a candidate for.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But what is taken for granted is that we are definitely going to get relegated. Meanwhile we are not in the relegation zone, Neto is looking in as good form as ever, and we have a young squad who still look like they are capable of scoring goals.
We've played two home games. It's weird how quickly everything has been written off. It's a bit weird that relegation is somehow seen as our default fate given the results and performances so far. It's like people want the club to be more on fire than it actually is.

The next 5 matches will tell. (City/Villa/Bournemouth/Newcastle/Sheff U). It hardly matters where exactly the points come from, but 6 points is the minimum any safe mid table team would be aiming for from that lot. 5 points not a disaster, would probably keep us just ahead of the bottom 3. Lose the key one to Sheff U and it will have a serious impact on morale that may not be recoverable.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So one person says I think it is a conspiracy and then if someone else repeats it enough, it becomes the truth.
My point is, that his work companions know his history and it was less than a year before he was sacked, that he and all of them recieved the pay off from Seville too.
My point being, that they have no problem following Lopetegui, they have had numerous pay offs, for not completing their contracts, as that is the truth, it is not a conspiracy.

Surely that isn't rare in the world of the football gravy train? Most managers fail, and most must be gettting paid off for failure. Winning European trophies is far rarer than managers getting golden handshakes for failure.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Given that Ryan is a podcaster who has represented the BBC, he really needs to provide proof Lopetegui approached Spurs this Summer over the manager's job, or retract this. Balague opining that he would be a good fit for Spurs is not remotely the same thing as Lopetegui applying for the job, just in case any of the "Lopetegui is Balague's puppetmaster" conspiracy theorists are confused as to the difference.
Ryan is as well informed if not better than anyone on the Mix. To his credit he knows loads more that he could share publicly. As for providing evidence JL went for the Spurs job. I am happy to add from my own sources that JL suggested Hobbs to fill their sporting director vacancy. Ryan certainly doesn’t owe it to anyone on this site to divulge his sources. He’s not accountable to you, and he’s every right to comment on matters that add helpful context.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea. Basket case club, waste a lot of money and will buy Mendes players. Perfect for Lopetegui, he would earn a fortune there.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely that isn't rare in the world of the football gravy train? Most managers fail, and most must be gettting paid off for failure. Winning European trophies is far rarer than managers getting golden handshakes for failure.
At Seville they win enough European trophies, but it isn't that Lopetegui fails, it is that he orchestrates his own sackings, blames everyone else and gets paid a fortune, for not wanting to do the job he was paid for.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Ryan's statement isn't just a point of view, it contains a claim of fact - that Lopetegui applied for the Spurs job this Summer when he was still contractually obligated to Wolves. You can enter a legal grey area if you make such claims and cannot support them with evidence, which is why he should probably withdraw it. I don't believe Lopetegui would pursue him for defamation, but is it worth the risk for a few retweets?
I’d not only back Ryan’s case but would be happy to contribute to his legal fund - it’s quite common knowledge in footballing circles that he went for the job. I am not much into social media but if I was I’d also be happy to tweet the same.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next 5 matches will tell. (City/Villa/Bournemouth/Newcastle/Sheff U). It hardly matters where exactly the points come from, but 6 points is the minimum any safe mid table team would be aiming for from that lot. 5 points not a disaster, would probably keep us just ahead of the bottom 3. Lose the key one to Sheff U and it will have a serious impact on morale that may not be recoverable.
I agree entirely. We are at the point where we just need some wins. City next but hey we had Luton last; need the points now if we have made it hard for ourselves it's our own fault.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So one person says I think it is a conspiracy and then if someone else repeats it enough, it becomes the truth.
My point is, that his work companions know his history and followed him, knowing when he leaves early they all get pay off too, for doing **** all.
No conspiracy there. Just pointing out the reality of what has happened with their time with Lopetegui.

How long was he at Porto and Sevilla?

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry but why are comparisons with Hoddle ridiculous? Big manager, big reputation, left us due to a proclaimed lack of ambition. Hoddle had nowhere near as much backing as Lopetegui had. The comparisons are fair for me.
Because Hoddle knew we had no money, he had a season of underperforming, he quit as a coward during a world cup game to hide it away from the news and protect his image, he had turned us into a turgid mess of a team, he also employed his brother on a long term contract before he left, tossed the last of our money on a complete dud of a striker and when he jumped ship he also happened to leave us with a skeleton playing staff. He is also responsible for a fair few alcoholics through serving up absolute dross, played players consistently and bizarrely out of position, see Carl Cort and Kenny Miller.

Lop came in and achieved his target with some comfort, taking a team cut adrift at the bottom of the premier league and getting them to safety with games to spare (beating Chelsea and Liverpool along the way) yes he wasn't perfect, yes he used the media in the close season to cover his back, and yes there were some concerning results but even the most disgruntled fan would say that he did well to keep us up. I would also say that if your place of work wasn't what you were promised then perhaps you would want to distance yourself from the **** show that it is

The best you could say of Hoddle was he did well to get enough draws to keep outside the play offs in a league our squad should have been pushing for promotion

But yes if you like comparing the fact both resigned then yes it's almost a perfect comparison between the two men.

Oh and I haven't heard Lops views on disabled people but I'm willing to guess that he doesn't hold the view they are being punished by God and it's in someway their own fault.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
You won't though. 12th is about 42-44 points these days. It will be about 11 wins 5 draws from the remaining 32 games. I can't see him surviving 16 more losses somehow. 21 games where we would have won if only he wore chinos. There is absolutely no chance
Don't see that. Hobbs clearly thinks he's good and will give him time. The only scenario where we get 42 points and he's been sacked is if we have a season the same shape as the last one. 10 points from 15 games and he'll be under massive pressure for sure.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
You’re absolutely right he’s well within his right to leave but perhaps leave all the “crying” and “I’ll always be a little wolf” antics well alone. That makes it sound like it was an emotional decision when it’s clearly a professional one.

I still maintain and this is purely MY opinion, if he cared as much as he’s tried to make out in his latest bleat at the press he could have stayed and fought. Ultimately I don’t think anyone can deny he didn’t want to do that because he didn’t stay.

I haven’t compared him to hoddle (I didn’t see who did) but again personal opinion here but in my mind he had one similar trait to Hoddle, they both thought they were better than the club that employed them. For all his chest fist pumping at the end of the season at the south bank he always looked a manager who would have jumped ship had a “big six” come knocking. Again that’s a slight criticism because you can say that about lots of managers and players.

I like JL, I wanted him as manager and I rate him. However from his first interview at the end of the season to is interview today he’s used the media to his own ends especially his little lap dog Ballague and whilst he’s potentially an elite level manager I don’t expect elite level managers to behave that way.

There’s no argument from me that Fosun caused this by not backing him how he wanted (how we all wanted) but this whole scenario where he’s done nothing wrong, I can’t agree with.
So perhaps a more loyal lapdog like Large or GON would be better?

You aren't going to get a decent manager put up with you ****ing in their pocket and telling them it's raining.

Using the media is just part of the toolkit of a modern manager who has a value, we aren't well run enough for a decent manager, and that's evident in recent times.

It's not being bigger or better than a club (which is just football bs) it's not wanting to work for total clowns.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long was he at Porto and Sevilla?

This is what is what is wrong with the cult of Lopetegui. They know that there is evidence that contradicts their statements about him, but they purposely miss out the whole story.

I will simplify it for you.

He has been a first team club manager for about 5 years before he came to Wolves. That is in over 20 years of being a manager.

In 2 of his 4 jobs, that is 50% of his managerial posts, in those 20 years, he lasted 14 and 9 matches. Is that true or not?

He won nothing at Porto and had a record spend, meaning he bought many new players and spent more than anyone else and won nothing. Is that true?

He managed Spain, one of the countries with some of the most talented players in the word and was sacked before he ever managed in a tournament. Is that true.

Madrid was out of his depth and he had done zilch in club management, to be awarded the biggest management job in the world.
He was a headless chicken andc was out after 14 matches. True on not?

He then got a top 6 team, Seville, had another record spend won the same Europa League, as Mendilibar won, in the same year as Lopetegui left Seville, who he had told in the summer that he wanted to leave, for almost the same reason he left Wolves. He didn’t leave because they wouldn't pay him off, which Monchi later said was a mistake. I know Monchi later said Lopetegui was great and everything a little bit like Hobns, but the fact is. He said he wish he had sacked him before the end of the season.

He never wanted to come to Wolves, but did well after spending a fortune in the winter transfer market.

He then orchestrated his own sacking, by going on media,platforms with his mate, Balague.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly better off paying him off, than keeping him when he made it clear he didn't want to be here.
Definitely should have sacked him earlier and got someone decent, but the club was probably waying up the cost of paying him off and hoping he would change his mind.
nothing will convince me lopetegui departing was good for our TEAM..........good for fosun and their cost cutting exercise, thats it.....would give you a bit of acknowledgment with your conclusions with lopetegui as a character because you maybe right, if we had replaced him with a decent manager but we didnt we got Gary Oneil.....unfortunatly for me it is the biggest downward swap i have seen any premier league club make EVER....

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
nothing will convince me lopetegui departing was good for our TEAM..........good for fosun and their cost cutting exercise, thats it.....would give you a bit of acknowledgment with your conclusions with lopetegui as a character because you maybe right, if we had replaced him with a decent manager but we didnt we got Gary Oneil.....unfortunatly for me it is the biggest downward swap i have seen any premier league club make EVER....

I have said plenty of times I wanted him to stay and get on with the job he was paid for. I have also said it would be better than the situation we have, but Lopetegui didn't want to be at Wolves, probably never wanted to be here, but we offered him enough to change his mind and the rest is history.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it absolutely bonkers and quite surreal that he still lives in Wolverhampton.
And me bizarre.....said before seen him in the gym a few times.....said before in the days when we was selling Nunes I was fuming and went in the back room to hit the punch bag to relieve the frustrations and he was meditating in the corner.....I couldn't believe he day look like he had a care in the world....

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ryan is as well informed if not better than anyone on the Mix. To his credit he knows loads more that he could share publicly. As for providing evidence JL went for the Spurs job. I am happy to add from my own sources that JL suggested Hobbs to fill their sporting director vacancy. Ryan certainly doesn’t owe it to anyone on this site to divulge his sources. He’s not accountable to you, and he’s every right to comment on matters that add helpful context.
He's also helping to build his narrative that he knows his ******** to his elbow.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His interview was an advert to say he is available and nothing is his fault, as always

His interview was an exclusive for the Athletic with a recently departed PL coach. I imagine a bunch of media approached him for an interview before the one. As I said before, nothing in that interview hadn’t already been reported or stated by Hobbs, except for the tears and wolf comments, with have become defacto standard for recent departures from Wolves. The interview was mostly about Wolves.

If you want us all to stick our heads in the ground and forget he was our coach, then you’re going to get very frustrated. How many threads and posts on this forum about Nuno after he left? How many about Mick? Jesus, we have mentions of Saunders and Hoddle in recent days. One thing is certain though. Any mention of Lopetegui will trigger your usual rants. Maybe I should start a new thread - What did Lopetegui do to **** Stourport Wolf off? ;)

Back
Top Bottom