Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As immature as refusing to accept you put out misinformation on the forum? Hobbs said Lopetegui and he agreed to part ways explicitly after the Celtic game, there are quotes to prove this from the man's mouth. So why you persist in claiming they agreed to part ways at the start of pre-season (which conveniently gives you a manufactured stick with which to beat Lopetegui) only you know.
It’s not misinformation, it came straight out the horses mouth. Though I’m sure it was misinterpreted due to him fighting back tears at the same time.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on then, you're a very sensible person. You clearly didn't like the way he operated. But here are the simple questions.

Did what he was told in November about what was available in terms of moving the club forward back to being a top half competitor change before May?

If so, is he entitled to feel that he doesn't want to be involved in a project where people tell him something to get him into the club and then change the story later?
it’s the interviews with GB, the huge payoff, the aloof and arrogant attitude, the way he treated Raul, the ****ing crocodile tears.
makes me sick. don’t get me started on fosun!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s the interviews with GB, the huge payoff, the aloof and arrogant attitude, the way he treated Raul, the ****ing crocodile tears.
He always came across to me as though he saw it as charity him just being here.
And then in the next moment you'd see Nunes being benched for Joe Hodge. The reality of him never matched the massive personality cult around him.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was solely money motivated why not just see out the rest of his contract (2 more seasons), go through the motions and pick up another £20m?
You're wasting your breath mate. The kind of posters arguing that Lopetegui caused all this are the kind of people that that think it's their girfriend-of-a-few-months' fault for leaving them because they're boring. And that's probably not even just an analogy, reading the stuff they come out with....

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not misinformation, it came straight out the horses mouth. Though I’m sure it was misinterpreted due to him fighting back tears at the same time.
Ugh. One last time then. Lopetegui said today: "When we started pre-season, they told me that it’s impossible to develop this project. And we decided to part ways."

You assumed that those two incidents took place concurrently, i.e. that Fosun told him there was no money and they parted ways there and then. There is nothing to suggest that is true, you have simply made a failure in comprehension. All we know from this quote is an undetermined period of time took place between the two events.

When presented with direct quotations from the mouth of our Sporting Director confirming the decision to part ways was made after the Celtic game and not at the start of pre-season, your pride prevents you from admitting your mistake. You'd rather make childish provocative comments about JL and myself instead.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well he was operating at 1.34 PPG in the PL, taking over a squad who was bottom with 10 points from 15 games. He delivered another season of PL football, presumably meaning £100m+ in PL cash for the club. 1.34 PPG over the season equates to 51 points over a full season. Nuno got 57 in 2018/19 and 59 in 2019/20.

We now have a manager operating at 0.66 PPG - less than half of what Lopetegui was achieving (which I fully expect to drop in the next two weeks). That gets you 25 points over the course of a season.

Maybe it is as simple as that - Lopetegui is twice the manager of O'Neil? Some people couldnt cope with us having a manager willing to challenge the club on budgets and aspirations (inc the club it seems) and we are much more comfortable being little old underdog Wolves trying to scrape 17th, being outlplayed by Luton and laughably dumped out of the Cup by Ipswich reserves.

tl;dr - Lopetegui made us better, O'Neil has made us worse.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're wasting your breath mate. The kind of posters arguing that Lopetegui caused all this are the kind of people that that think it's their girfriend-of-a-few-months' fault for leaving them because they're boring. And that's probably not even just an analogy, reading the stuff they come out with....
It's kind of telling you see it as a romantic relationship between manager and club. Rather than someone getting paid to do a job.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's kind of telling you see it as a romantic relationship between manager and club. Rather than someone getting paid to do a job.
No, rather it's just a job, and if the terms of the job don't match your ambitions then you're quite within your rights to agree terms on leaving.

He wasn't obliged to stay - no manager is - so those calling him a 'coward' because he didn't want to work for employers that repeatedly move the goalposts are missing the point. He has no obligation to waste his time with us, just as none of us would stay in a job where we weren't given the autonomy or resources to make the contribution we want to. I walked out on an employer for the very same reasons and I'd expect anyone in the same position to do the same.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
OK, but you've ignored the actual questions.

I said the interview with Belague was ill-judged, not denying that.

None of us actually know enough to comment on the pay-off.

The Raul stuff has a lot of complications, but the failure to bring him on in the last home game is one of the most over-played things on here ever!

I never found him aloof, show me a manager who doesn't have a bit of arrogance about him, the current one seems to have plenty, and I don't recall him winning the Europa League.

I think you can make a rational decision to leave and stil find it emotionally difficult, I don't think that makes 'crocodile tears'.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My tupenneth; from what I read in the press and on-line, Loppy was angling for a getaway from the end of last season. What prompted this; I don't know but accept that Fosun moved the goalposts. It's something they have form for doing.
I hated the way Loppy used his friends in the media, continually crying and moaning woe is me! If, he had any pride, he would have just walked, but no, he wriggled and haggled for a pay-off from a club that repeatedly said there was no money available for transfers. Not only that, but his huge entourage also took money out of the club. Now, that is their right and is obviously something that Fosun agreed was the lesser of two evils, but it doesn't sit well with me.

As for the discussion about the merits of Loppy vs GON; well clearly Loppy got more out of this bunch than GON will ever do. Had any of us known that the alternative to Loppy was GON, then we'd have probably paid for the transfers that Loppy wanted out of our own pockets :D. Another "be careful what you wish for" moment, I guess.

As I've said on numerous occasions; no one comes out of the Loppy debacle with any credit. Not him, not Shi, not Hobbs and certainly not our inept owners.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, rather it's just a job, and if the terms of the job don't match your ambitions then you're quite within your rights to agree terms on leaving.

He wasn't obliged to stay - no manager is - so those calling him a 'coward' because he didn't want to work for employers that repeatedly move the goalposts are missing the point. He has no obligation to waste his time with us, just as none of us would stay in a job where we weren't given the autonomy or resources to make the contribution we want to. I walked out on an employer for the very same reasons and I'd expect anyone in the same position to do the same.
Did you “ cry” about leaving your colleagues in the lurch?

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I've said on numerous occasions; no one comes out of the Loppy debacle with any credit. Not him, not Shi, not Hobbs and certainly not our inept owners.

I'd agree with this, and I don't like the sounding off in the media. But it doesn't mean his points were invalid, and that he was wrong to be aggrieved.

I've left employers because of false promises.

It's also looking like this was an awful decision by the club given our illustrious current manager and our trajectory.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't have to believe his reasons for going. I think he saw the squad, saw his performance last year, saw how we were playing in pre-season and got scared. Simple as.

And as a wolves fan I can think you calling yourself a little wolf is a bit much when you've been here 9 months and jacked it at the first opportunity you had.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Raul stuff has a lot of complications, but the failure to bring him on in the last home game is one of the most over-played things on here ever!

I never found him aloof, show me a manager who doesn't have a bit of arrogance about him, the current one seems to have plenty, and I don't recall him winning the Europa League.

I think you can make a rational decision to leave and stil find it emotionally difficult, I don't think that makes 'crocodile tears'.
nope i didn’t answer the leading questions ;) you’re quite right!!
you never found him aloof and then admit the arrogance? there’s not much difference in meaning in my eyes?
None of us know what was promised but it doesn’t stop the hyperbole?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have left an employer because of a culture clash and lack of support for me during an emergency family situation, I still had to work 3 months notice to handover to the next poor soul.
As I said earlier in the thread I’ve done the same (for very similar reasons to yourself by the sounds of it). Though sporting contracts are very different to “real world” contracts. Football managers get sacked all the time for not performing (as GON will find out soon enough) but in the real world any employer is getting a tribunal for getting rid without following some kind of performance protocol.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He didnt need to make an advert and try to convince people he cried, when he left, when the reality is he orchestrated his own departure. Its trying to make out he cared, when he never cared, that is the point.

The whole advert is to remind owners, he is available and not to take any notice of his controversial career and that he really is a person who can be trusted not to take the club for a ride.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that Ryan is a podcaster who has represented the BBC, he really needs to provide proof Lopetegui approached Spurs this Summer over the manager's job, or retract this. Balague opining that he would be a good fit for Spurs is not remotely the same thing as Lopetegui applying for the job, just in case any of the "Lopetegui is Balague's puppetmaster" conspiracy theorists are confused as to the difference.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Interested to see what this Premier League job he’s hanging about for turns out to be. The good thing he has going for him is any club won’t have to pay compensation for him but realistically he’s not getting a top 6 job, he’s not done enough in England to warrant that.
everton, then another big payoff.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Given that Ryan is a podcaster who has represented the BBC, he really needs to provide proof Lopetegui approached Spurs this Summer over the manager's job, or retract this. Balague opining that he would be a good fit for Spurs is not remotely the same thing as Lopetegui applying for the job, just in case any of the "Lopetegui is Balague's puppetmaster" conspiracy theorists are confused as to the difference.
Possible that Mendes spoke to Levy about whether he'd be interested, obviously we don't know. Let's not forget the timeline though, Postecoglou was appointed first week in June, the Belague interview was last week in July. So maybe, like many managers his agent was keeping an eye open for a new opportunity, I'm not ruling that out, but it's hardly unusual.

To be honest the whole thing is ridiculous. None of it alters the mess we're in and who's fault it is.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possible that Mendes spoke to Levy about whether he'd be interested, obviously we don't know. Let's not forget the timeline though, Postecoglou was appointed first week in June, the Belague interview was last week in July. So maybe, like many managers his agent was keeping an eye open for a new opportunity, I'm not ruling that out, but it's hardly unusual.

To be honest the whole thing is ridiculous. None of it alters the mess we're in and who's fault it is.
Certainly not impossible, and I am sure Lopetegui would have been privately tempted by the possibility. However, I'm starting to see on this thread and elsewhere, claims of fact about JL that either cannot be proven, or are blatant falsehoods. I get that he has divided opinion among Wolves fans, but making stuff up about him is not on.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you “ cry” about leaving your colleagues in the lurch?
I didn't bring people in to join me, with them changing the course of their own careers because of me. And yes, part of me was a little upset because whilst a job is a job and you have a short career and amount of time to make the impact you want to make, you will inevitably feel remorse that you're not finishing the job you hoped you would.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly not impossible, and I am sure Lopetegui would have been privately tempted by the possibility. However, I'm starting to see on this thread and elsewhere, claims of fact about JL that either cannot be proven, or are blatant falsehoods. I get that he has divided opinion among Wolves fans, but making stuff up about him is not on.
You mean like your own “claims of fact”??

Back
Top Bottom