Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Next Manager

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But then JLo had nothing to do with the Liverpool first half performance which was as good if not better than the United one
I'd say that they were on par, but I take your point.

It does beg the question, what's happened post first half Liverpool as we seem to have regressed imo.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are some on here who think GON deserves more time, the fixtures have been difficult, VAR has gone against us and that's all fair enough. I think it's almost inevitable we'll be in the bottom 5 come, say, February. If GON is still here then at what stage do you look for another manager?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are some on here who think GON deserves more time, the fixtures have been difficult, VAR has gone against us and that's all fair enough. I think it's almost inevitable we'll be in the bottom 5 come, say, February. If GON is still here then at what stage do you look for another manager?
If we are 5th from bottom come February then we absolutely don’t pull the trigger on O’Neil, nor should we

Wolvessince63

Reaction score
Former Wolverhampton Wanderers head coach Julen Lopetegui was in attendance at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat to Aston Villa, Birmingham World can exclusively reveal.

The Spaniard, who has recently been said to be holding out for a return to Premier League management as soon as possible, was spotted both entering and leaving a hospitality suite.

Lopetegui watched on as Chelsea lost for a third time in the English top tier this season and Wolves’ rivals, Villa, battled against 10 men to secure their fourth victory.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh you seem to want a new manager every week.
Who , realistically, would you be happy with?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They may have done, but they've made some quality purchases along the way to suit the coaches style of play (square pegs in square holes).
Add to that, Arteta has a good set of coaches and backroom staff around him which I would suggest are better than what we have right now.
There are levels of difference in the footballing education, careers, playing abilities and also mentors between arteta and GO.

To compare both is laughable as they are galaxies apart…..

One was raised in the Barca academy under some of the best age group coaches, then was developed and grown at arsenal under some of the best midfielders and manager the league has seen, was part of one of the best international sides ever, then when he finished he was being groomed to be the heir to pep and workingday in and day out with the world class city first team. City and pep were furious he was approached and made it difficult for arsenal to get Arteta.

The other is a championship level journeyman who has played under Harry redknapp as his highest profile manager…….. and has only a few years coaching the kids at liverpool….. then got a job at Bournemouth and within 2 years is their manager because their current one walked…….

You cannot compare the two and to do so is like comparing a Robin reliant to an F1 or super car…..

There are levels and GO isn’t even close to Arteta

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As much as I am in favour of Wolves finding a far superior manager to O’Neil ASAP, if we’re 5th bottom in Feb and he’s still in charge I think we’d be sticking with him.

Sad thing is, I just can’t see us being outside the bottom 3 under O’Neil again, after our presumed defeats to City and Villa.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Former Wolverhampton Wanderers head coach Julen Lopetegui was in attendance at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat to Aston Villa, Birmingham World can exclusively reveal.

The Spaniard, who has recently been said to be holding out for a return to Premier League management as soon as possible, was spotted both entering and leaving a hospitality suite.

Lopetegui watched on as Chelsea lost for a third time in the English top tier this season and Wolves’ rivals, Villa, battled against 10 men to secure their fourth victory.

Just waiting for 316, to buy his new Chelsea shirt. Lol.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just waiting for 316, to buy his new Chelsea shirt. Lol.
Oi, don't leave me out! ;)
You need to get on their forum quick and warn them what a terrible mistake it would be. Do they know he'll just be after a big salary and then make them look bad so he gets sacked and paid off? Will they notice the difference if he does?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But then JLo had nothing to do with the Liverpool first half performance which was as good if not better than the United one
One swallow …….
For me you reserve your best performances for the winnable games. Everton , Palace and Luton were our worst performances.

Last edited:

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are 5th from bottom come February then we absolutely don’t pull the trigger on O’Neil, nor should we
That surely depends on what has gone before?
If we have lost 6 on the bounce to drop into the bottom 5 then it’s very different. Also if 5th from bottom is only above the bottom three by a point or two then it is way too precarious to blindly support the man in charge.
If however we have seen an upturn in form and sit relatively comfortably above the bottom 3 then fair enough.
That said it would be mad to wait until February after the transfer window has shut before re-evaluating his position.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say that they were on par, but I take your point.

It does beg the question, what's happened post first half Liverpool as we seem to have regressed imo.
Could be a bad day at the office, every team
Has them. Let’s see how we perform against villa

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Could be a bad day at the office, every team
Has them. Let’s see how we perform against villa
It's another worry to add to the list that Villa looks the most winnable of our next 4 home games, and let's face it, we won't be favourites. By the time Burnley turn up the atmosphere could be quite fraught.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the moment l’d rather have Gary Poundland than Gary O’Neil

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have a Manager, and he is in the first couple of months of a three year contract, so I cannot see O’Neil being sacked anytime soon. And why would the club give a manager a three year contract only to get itchy feet after a few games.
De Boer lasted less time at Palace!

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs has a great deal of his own credibility riding on GONs appointment and success (?) me thinks.

If Wolves persist with him then I suspect it will be Hobbs that will be fighting his corner. Ultimately, though we know if the Fosun get jittery then Hobbs opinion won’t amount to much.

fleck1

Reaction score
There are levels of difference in the footballing education, careers, playing abilities and also mentors between arteta and GO.

To compare both is laughable as they are galaxies apart…..

One was raised in the Barca academy under some of the best age group coaches, then was developed and grown at arsenal under some of the best midfielders and manager the league has seen, was part of one of the best international sides ever, then when he finished he was being groomed to be the heir to pep and workingday in and day out with the world class city first team. City and pep were furious he was approached and made it difficult for arsenal to get Arteta.

The other is a championship level journeyman who has played under Harry redknapp as his highest profile manager…….. and has only a few years coaching the kids at liverpool….. then got a job at Bournemouth and within 2 years is their manager because their current one walked…….

You cannot compare the two and to do so is like comparing a Robin reliant to an F1 or super car…..

There are levels and GO isn’t even close to Arteta
Some of the best coaches and managers never played the game at any kind of level and made their own way in the game, watched & learned from afar and made their own way in the game. Not saying GON is going to become some kind of managerial genius in the future but saying he hasn't come through X's academy or spent time under this manager isn't really relevant to where his managerial career goes or how he progresses. Gary Neville came through the Man Utd system and spent his career under Sir Alex, I don't want him as manager either. Nagelsmann stopped playing at 20 and became a scout and studied sport science but we'd take a look at him, its a lazy argument when GON played over 200 premier league games.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the best coaches and managers never played the game at any kind of level and made their own way in the game, watched & learned from afar and made their own way in the game. Not saying GON is going to become some kind of managerial genius in the future but saying he hasn't come through X's academy or spent time under this manager isn't really relevant to where his managerial career goes or how he progresses. Gary Neville came through the Man Utd system and spent his career under Sir Alex, I don't want him as manager either. Nagelsmann stopped playing at 20 and became a scout and studied sport science but we'd take a look at him, its a lazy argument when GON played over 200 premier league games.
The OP compared GO and Arteta.

So I replied based on facts of both their playing, development and coaching tracks records and people they worked under and mentored by.

It wasn’t a generic wide sweeping post on my part, as I am fully aware and the best manager I worked at when I was in football joked he didn’t even have two good feet let alone one…..

Simply replied with reasons they couldn’t compare arteta to GO

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too early to be talking about getting a new manager although the club should have a plan in place incase GON fails after being given the majority of the season to make the job his own.

Of managers out there a steady pair of hands like Big Sam would be OK to get us through to the end of the season if GON does fall on his sword later on in the season.
Just because Fat Sam failed with your lot....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd honestly get Nuno back for 2-3 years and appoint/groom a young number 2 to take over from him the way Liverpool used to develop in house coaches/ex players.
That assumes that Nuno wants anything whatsoever to do with Pinnochio. Remember who both his and JL's agent is - he'll know exactly what went on!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that but Sam is far from a steady pair of hands now, he looked well out of his depth in his last two fire fighting appointments. Pardon the pun but his hunger seems to have gone.

I’d have Warnock on speed dial. Another who’s best years are gone but I think he’d love to finish in the premier league
Sam's thirst allegedly not so much though....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hansi Flick - former Germany and B Munich.

Oliver Glasner - former Frankfurt Wolfsburg

Vitor Pereira - former Porto, Olympiacos.

Lucien Favre - former Dortmund, Nice.

Hasenhüttl - Leipzig, Soton

Marcelo Gallardo - River Plate

All out of work
None of them British which was apparently one of Hobbs' key factors....

Back
Top Bottom