Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

First team training

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest the shooting practice in the video released looks very very simple to me. I don't know if its to give them confidence or whatever but to me it seems almost pointless. I've done shooting practice with kids more challenging than this.

Having said that I'm good friends with a striker who used to play for Denmark and him and a teammate spend a summer doing simple shooting practice like this and he scored a bunch of goals the following season..
It's just to build the muscle memory. If you've practiced a finish 100's of times then when you are under pressure your technique can just take over

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Ait -Nouri miss in the second half is what O'Neil should focus on as being at the root of our goalscoring drought. Need to be spontaneous and alive in the moment in the penalty area, don't think or over-think. Make the goalie work always. Its an instinct ultimately and not sure we have anyone in the squad who really has that. Hence the goal glut. Fabio ...we are still waiting as you should be the man.

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Ait -Nouri miss in the second half is what O'Neil should focus on as being at the root of our goalscoring drought. Need to be spontaneous and alive in the moment in the penalty area, don't think or over-think. Make the goalie work always. Its an instinct ultimately and not sure we have anyone in the squad who really has that. Hence the goal glut. Fabio ...we are still waiting as you should be the man.
Technically it's more a goal famine than a goal glut. A goal shortfall.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half the latest training video is shooting practice...
And our collective £80m worth of signings who have missed our best chances are the first ones eliminated…….. you couldn’t write it…..

But the rest look composed and J.Gomes had one on his last chance that was a thing of beauty!

Gonzales looks like a real talent, he is one I cannot wait to see get onto the turf

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Oh dear! That’s with the ball coming at them at a reasonable pace and angle, all the time in the world to take a touch and no defenders in front of them and they still can’t hit the bleeding target.

If you didn’t know different, you could be forgiven for thinking that was a Sunday league team warming up.

No wonder we try and walk it into the net because our chances of scoring from outside the box are next to zero.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Isn’t the purpose of training (cos they ALL should be fit) to improve skills, awareness and BUILD CONFIDENCE?

Why finish sessions with lots of missing chances? When I practise putting, I START from a long way and finish with unmissable short putts so I go out with my memory being of the 10 I have just sunk!

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
If they can’t hit the target when the ball is rolled to them with no opposition, god help us. You can’t be coached the ability to put the ball in the net, you either have it or you don’t. All the shooting practice in the world won’t help some of this mob

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn’t the purpose of training (cos they ALL should be fit) to improve skills, awareness and BUILD CONFIDENCE?

Why finish sessions with lots of missing chances? When I practise putting, I START from a long way and finish with unmissable short putts so I go out with my memory being of the 10 I have just sunk!
In all seriousness it looked like how near you could get to scoring without actually hitting the net?!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I swear some of you on here just want to pick out the negatives in everything wolves . I just watched the video and I saw plenty of good finishing and a very happy group of players who seemed to be enjoying the training and each others company . Or am I being too optimistic.
Gary, how many times have I told you it's not wise to look on the mix?, love Jeff

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I swear some of you on here just want to pick out the negatives in everything wolves . I just watched the video and I saw plenty of good finishing and a very happy group of players who seemed to be enjoying the training and each others company . Or am I being too optimistic.
Way, way too optimistic! Back to the vid, with the way our attackers have been performing this season and the past 3 seasons I'm amazed the producers included all that footage. Not very convincing for us fans although they all seemed to be having a good laugh. I hope they're all having a good laugh after they've put 4 past Luton?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not GON because I would be sickened by some of the hatred posted on here by mindless idiots
There 's no hatred, as you say, posted on here. Disaffection, yes. The Mods would not allow it. And those criticising GON, like me, are not 'mindless idiots', just people who have a different view to you.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There 's no hatred, as you say, posted on here. Disaffection, yes. The Mods would not allow it. And those criticising GON, like me, are not 'mindless idiots', just people who have a different view to you.
I agree with this except for your choice of ‘disaffection.‘ On many threads there’s a lot of extreme negativity and insults.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with this except for your choice of ‘disaffection.‘ On many threads there’s a lot of extreme negativity and insults.
It's very easy to think happy thoughts thousands of miles away when you haven't paid the best part of a grand for a ST sold under false pretences. Pinnochio and Vinny may well see ST sales plummet next summer.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's very easy to think happy thoughts thousands of miles away when you haven't paid the best part of a grand for a ST sold under false pretences. Pinnochio and Vinny may well see ST sales plummet next summer.
Easy on , good sir and get your facts right please.

1……Is there even one Wolves fan happy right now…near or far…..certainly not me. Wolves are not in a good place and we all know it, even you far away in London.

2. When you use the word ‘Pinnochio’ it diminishes your credibility ,( especially with you being in the legal game ).

3. Your quote “under false pretences “……..if someone conned me like you’re saying that Wolves did to you, then I’d want part or all of my money back……the difference between this season’s price and last season’s at the very least. Who wouldn’t? ……I’m no fool. It’s not the money….we give much more than a grand to charities every year.
I don’t mess around…….if I could prove I was conned, then Small Claims Court awaits……if I could prove it and the money was substantial enough I’d follow through……done it before…….mostly just to make a point.
Ball is in your court , Councillor.

4…..and back to post # 1182…..do you ever feel that sometimes there’s too much negativity on the Mix? Ever?

Last edited:

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not GON because I would be sickened by some of the hatred posted on here by mindless idiots
Yeah we can’t score in training = hatred. Proportionate post.

Doubt he’s on here too btw.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved to see them having a good time together. They need to feel as one unit on the pitch so the laughter was good to see.
And most of the shots went in or were on target.

Personally, for training I’d make the goals 2/3 regular size…….we used to play those in indoor soccer and it makes you concentrate a bit more.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved to see them having a good time together. They need to feel as one unit on the pitch so the laughter was good to see.
And most of the shots went in or were on target.

Personally, for training I’d make the goals 2/3 regular size…….we used to play those in indoor soccer and it makes you concentrate a bit more.
They do this in Holland increases accuracy a lot

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The bottom line is, you’re either a finisher or you’re not. I played at a decent level and coached kids from under 7 to under 16.

The kids that showed a bit of flair for shooting/finishing at under 7, were still the same ones at under 16. One or two of the weaker ones had made a slight improvement by under 16 but were never going to be strikers.

Once they reach that age, they may develop a bit more and get stronger but the majority of their technique is set in stone. The way a player approaches a ball to shoot, body positioning, etc, is natural and I found you can’t change it.

N.B. I might have just been a useless coach. :tearsofjoy:

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The bottom line is, you’re either a finisher or you’re not. I played at a decent level and coached kids from under 7 to under 16.

The kids that showed a bit of flair for shooting/finishing at under 7, were still the same ones at under 16. One or two of the weaker ones had made a slight improvement by under 16 but were never going to be strikers.

Once they reach that age, they may develop a bit more and get stronger but the majority of their technique is set in stone. The way a player approaches a ball to shoot, body positioning, etc, is natural and I found you can’t change it.

Can’t disagree more

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Your background makes you a credible poster on the issue of strikers. I can quite believe what you say. I do think strikers are born not made, that's why the very best command the highest transfer fees. A goal scorer is for me the most important player in the team and that's why we have done badly for 2 seasons now.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"When asked what has changed in training, O'Neil revealed it is now much harder on the players than it was under predecessor Julen Lopetegui.

He added: "It's harder and more intense. I don't know about the duration, it might be shorter, but the intensity is definitely higher.

"Having spoken to the players and looked at the numbers they were producing before I got here, compared to what we do now, training is a bit more intense than what it was."

Another chance for him to distance himself from Lopetegui and I dont see this as a dig, as such because he's asked a specific question that he replies to.
But the way we finish games now is surely telling him something doesn't work.
Weve seen drastically decrease in performances in the Second half in 3 of his 5 first games. Could this training lead to that?
Shorter but more intense sessions will build up their ability to do the short high intensity runs, but might not benefit their endurance. It also takes some time to recover from.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found the video very uplifting tbh
They seem a happy group and all the players, well the forwards at least, seem to enjoy each others company, that has to be good doesnt it?
I do agree with the above, in the fact that you cant make a striker,you either have that ability from a young age or you dont, and it cant be taught
You may be able to hone the instincts and tighten up certain aspects, but its natural ability you either have or you dont

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"When asked what has changed in training, O'Neil revealed it is now much harder on the players than it was under predecessor Julen Lopetegui.

He added: "It's harder and more intense. I don't know about the duration, it might be shorter, but the intensity is definitely higher.

"Having spoken to the players and looked at the numbers they were producing before I got here, compared to what we do now, training is a bit more intense than what it was."

Another chance for him to distance himself from Lopetegui and I dont see this as a dig, as such because he's asked a specific question that he replies to.
Weve seen drastically decrease in performances in the Second half in 3 of his 5 first games. Could this training lead to that?
Shorter but more intense sessions will build up their ability to do the short high intensity runs, but might not benefit their endurance. It also takes some time to recover from.

Or their fitness isnt the right kind of fitness enough for the style he wants to play. I'm sure it'll level out once they've adapted.

Which is fair enough seeing as he didn't get a preseason.

Yorkshire Wolf

Reaction score
always take these training videos with a pinch of salt, will make my opinion tomorrow and then probably realise the doomsayers were right

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I tell you what is also a distance apart? Lop and O'Neill's points per game.

Back
Top Bottom