Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can blame others for not providing him with service.

He's never going to score a goal like Sasa did v Everton, so there's no point Neto delivering a perfect cross with Fabio there. It looks like the ball does have to delivered on a plate to him, in space and with loads of time. He got that in the Belgian league, is only going to get that against the weakest teams in this league... if at all.

His fabled movement is being shown up for what it really is, too. Not terrible. But not good enough for this level. As I said, lets see how he does against Luton. If he can't show anything there, then I can't see how he is worth persevering with every week at present.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's never going to score a goal like Sasa did v Everton, so there's no point Neto delivering a perfect cross with Fabio there. It looks like the ball does have to delivered on a plate to him, in space and with loads of time. He got that in the Belgian league, is only going to get that against the weakest teams in this league... if at all.

His fabled movement is being shown up for what it really is, too. Not terrible. But not good enough for this level. As I said, lets see how he does against Luton. If he can't show anything there, then I can't see how he is worth persevering with every week at present.

It's a conundrum.... I agree about starting Fabio against the weakest team in the league ( Luton) as you say if he can't show something against them , what hope has he got against the rest of the league?
The dilemma is that if he fails again and we go on to to lose a must win game would we have been better off starting Sasa who looks to have goals in him.
Sadly for Fabio and Wolves I really think the Blackpool type games are his level.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don’t understand how people can still be backing Silva, he’s not good enough and clearly never will be. All I hear is he’s only……. (insert age here), he’s not getting any service etc etc how about just acknowledging that’s he’s not PL standard and needs to me moved on to play elsewhere (abroad probably).

Same age as this Jeremy Doku that scored for Man City today. He doesn't need the ball delivered to him either. Wrecked West Ham all by himself!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's a conundrum.... I agree about starting Fabio against the weakest team in the league ( Luton) as you say if he can't show something against them , what hope has he got against the rest of the league?
The dilemma is that if he fails again and we go on to to lose a must win game would we have been better off starting Sasa who looks to have goals in him.
Sadly for Fabio and Wolves I really think the Blackpool type games are his level.
We have to respect that Luton won’t be an easy game away and I’m sure both the Luton team and fans will sense they can get their first point(s) next Saturday.
Hwang has to start ahead of Silva.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't think he's cut out for a career in the Premier League. The physicality is too much for him and he's constantly bullied and nudged off the ball before he can do anything constructive with it.
He has the intelligence but not the pace or instincts to be a 9 in the premier league. We keep backing him and he has yet to warrant it. 35m spunked and he will never be a 9. Can’t score, no pace , can’t hold the ball up, lightweight. I am done with him. Time for him to perform or train with the u21s

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to respect that Luton won’t be an easy game away and I’m sure both the Luton team and fans will sense they can get their first point(s) next Saturday.
Start them both
Sa
Semedo dawson Kilman RAN
Gomes Lemina
Hwang Cunha Neto
Sasa

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oh I don't take Luton for granted, Wolves being Wolves we'll lose to them then beat City.
I like Hwang and he has a poachers instinct but I'd still start Sasa and bring Hwang on as an impact sub ( not necessarily for Sasa ).
Both of them offer more than Fabio.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still very much on the fence about him. I can see he has talent, but he isnt convincing enough. I'm also not convinced we play a way that makes the most out of what he does well. The other thing for me is i'm not even sure what type of striker we actually need in terms of how they play.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A poor cameo in a poor 2nd half team performance is no way to draw conclusions about any player. The service to him was pants. Doyle looked like the crab - shall we write him off too?

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio Silva is like balenciaga.

He looks so far out of his depth it's ridiculous.

Selling Jota and ending up with him and Hoover is one of the worst deals in the sports history.

You can't spend £35m on a player and have them flop. You definitely can't spend £35m on a kid that's nowhere near premier League level.
Spot on ...what Muppet scouts spent the Jota money on those 2 ?
Worst waste of money in premier League history

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never been his biggest fan.. I still think his whole transfer set off massive alarm bells, that I'm surprised was never investigated.
But!! You can't blame his for half this crap we are seeing. He's not the old type of bulldog centre forward who you can lump balls forward to and make it stick. He needs players around him! By time he was bought on yesterday we had regressed into our own half and barely attacked.
You've got the highest assist/ chances created player in the entire league on the left wing , and 6'8" striker on the bench FFS.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A poor cameo in a poor 2nd half team performance is no way to draw conclusions about any player. The service to him was pants. Doyle looked like the crab - shall we write him off too?
He hasn’t been here three years and had plenty of chances has he . We have all crossed our fingers and hoped that he has improved but we don’t see the evidence. We have two or three great crossers now so it has to be Sasa up top when fully match fit .

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he ran around a lot yesterday although I watched it on the telly so maybe it was different in the ground. One of the qualities he showed when first came was his ability to control the ball which is what we needed him to do yesterday, but that seems to have disappeared. He'll be here to at least January so I can only hope he can do something from now until then. If Fraser keeps knocking them in for the youth team it won't be long until he pushing Silva for his place on the bench.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a few on twitter from Liverpool side calling him the worst Premier League player they've ever seen, obviously factoring in the massive price tag. That's a bit harsh, but he really is just so ineffective when played as a central #9. He can't head a ball, can't hold it up, can't cope with the physicality of Premier League centre backs. Doesn't have the pace and power to play off the shoulder, which Cunha at least does despite his haplessness in front of goal.

Give him a chance playing off the left like Rashford and don't force him to play with his back to goal when he falls over quicker than a feather. I'm sick and tired of seeing him and Cunha played through the middle as the main focal point. Cunha is only mildly better.

I would genuinely rather see 18 year old Nathan Fraser given a chance. Brighton aren't scared to play Evan Ferguson are they?
Agree mate, Evan Ferguson looks a great talent.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm sure in the right league he will have a good career but he's just out his depth in the Premier league. I'll send him back out on loan in Jan and try and get as much back next summer.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time to give Nathan Fraser a run out from the bench methinks.

As other Mixers have said, Brighton have unearthed a gem in Evan Ferguson, who is 18 years old. Fraser could be the same for all we know.

Surely, Fraser can’t be any worse than Fabio who can’t head a ball, can’t hold the ball up, gives the ball away, is lightweight, is not quick enough, doesn’t trouble defenders and doesn’t score goals. Other than that, for a number nine, he is ok!

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As other Mixers have said, Brighton have unearthed a gem in Evan Ferguson, who is 18 years old.
Ferguson is an absolute monster physically & always has been. The below video is from when he was 14 y/o playing against Chelsea's first team in a pre-season friendly for Bohemians.

at 1:12 he drive past 2 or 3 players and nearly curls one into the bottom corner,

& at 1:30, he goes head-to-head with KURT ZOUMA physically like it's nothing, which is insanity considering his age!

I only saw the footage on Twitter around this time last year give or take when he'd just started to break through at Brighton, but watching it makes you wonder just how on earth none of the big sides picked him up...

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he ran around a lot yesterday although I watched it on the telly so maybe it was different in the ground. One of the qualities he showed when first came was his ability to control the ball which is what we needed him to do yesterday, but that seems to have disappeared. He'll be here to at least January so I can only hope he can do something from now until then. If Fraser keeps knocking them in for the youth team it won't be long until he pushing Silva for his place on the bench.
At the age of 80 I could have run round a lot yesterday but obviously much more slowly.My utter lack of pace would have at least confused Liverpool.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was an opportunity to get a reasonable fee for him in the summer and I said at the time we should have snapped clubs hands off.

Hopefully clubs are still keen in Jan. I don't want to be anymore nasty than I may have been, he is young likeable lad who works hard, but the fact is he just isn't anywhere near good enough.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Can't dislike him, he gives it absolutely everything. After OT I actually thought he might do a job for us. If we ever get into the position of dominating a game then his movement and intelligence might be an asset. Yesterday though was pretty much the perfect way to expose his weaknesses. Miles from anyone, got physically bullied, doesn't have the pace to scare anyone into not going tight. Haven't seen a replay, but appeared that his only significant contribution was to block a shot - a Wolves shot.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ferguson is an absolute monster physically & always has been. The below video is from when he was 14 y/o playing against Chelsea's first team in a pre-season friendly for Bohemians.

at 1:12 he drive past 2 or 3 players and nearly curls one into the bottom corner,

& at 1:30, he goes head-to-head with KURT ZOUMA physically like it's nothing, which is insanity considering his age!

I only saw the footage on Twitter around this time last year give or take when he'd just started to break through at Brighton, but watching it makes you wonder just how on earth none of the big sides picked him up...

Based on the price and what the club said at the time, this is what I thought we were getting when we bought Fabio. An obviously gifted talent far ahead of his peers at that age. Someone that all the top European clubs will be drooling over if you don't sign them fast.

It's clear now, that never was the case. Whatever Fabio is capable of, the club fell for the hype and overpaid hugely. While missing other talents that were out there.

Reactions: Ian

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Team is a bore on and off the pitch, apathy rife with fans, any young player who has a bad game is castrated.

I love it, it's proper Wolves of the mid-00s, all we need is the stands to be a bit more empty and this bout of nostalgia will be complete.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Team is a bore on and off the pitch, apathy rife with fans, any young player who has a bad game is castrated.

I love it, it's proper Wolves of the mid-00s, all we need is the stands to be a bit more empty and this bout of nostalgia will be complete.
It isn't like that at the game though, maybe in the vortex of despair that is molineux mix at the moment and maybe if we lose to Luton, but the fans at the game are not apathetic. The noise at times in the first half yesterday was as loud as for a long time.
Anyway, I haven't been reading a lot of the posts admittedly, but has anyone actually thought of another manager if O Neill gets the sack? Given that it won't be Nuno.
I've always supported Fabio, but I'm starting to doubt my judgement and Fabio's potential here at Wolves. Sad though. He gives everything he can.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't like that at the game though, maybe in the vortex of despair that is molineux mix at the moment and maybe if we lose to Luton, but the fans at the game are not apathetic. The noise at times in the first half yesterday was as loud as for a long time.
Anyway, I haven't been reading a lot of the posts admittedly, but has anyone actually thought of another manager if O Neill gets the sack? Given that it won't be Nuno.
I've always supported Fabio, but I'm starting to doubt my judgement and Fabio's potential here at Wolves. Sad though. He gives everything he can.
I entirely agree with your last paragraph.
He took the **** out of Hwang at Liverpool last season as I recall. People in glass houses springs to mind.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still very much on the fence about him. I can see he has talent, but he isnt convincing enough. I'm also not convinced we play a way that makes the most out of what he does well. The other thing for me is i'm not even sure what type of striker we actually need in terms of how they play.

Towards the end, he looked like he was hiding yesterday. Standing by defenders then throwing his arms up when not passed to. Got in the way of our own players, too. Something he has done regularly during his matches here. I don't think his positionig is that good at all.

Having talent isn't good enough. You have to have talent to be a professional player at any level. He shows no more talent than many players we could have picked up from the Championship or several other European Leagues for a fifth of his fee at most.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I entirely agree with your last paragraph.
He took the **** out of Hwang at Liverpool last season as I recall. People in glass houses springs to mind.

I thought of that too, yesterday! Can't even say "how the mighty have fallen" because Fabio has always been a flop. And some of us don't forget his early performances when he genuinely looked like a competition winner. I almost reckon you could take any reasonably decent footballer at 16, pump millions into developing them like we have, and they would turn out no worse than Fabio.

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
His attitude seems all wrong, too much of the arm gestures, too much shaking the head, it seems he is blaming others (maybe the ref maybe team mates ) for his short comings. When you watch him play he is straight out the book he is so predictive the opposition know exactly how to play him, doesn't show any initiative to be a top level player, you can blame the club maybe, blame all the managers, it's hard to say but clearly he isn't what jeff shi thought he would be , not even close. Its best for him and the club to let him go on loan again January or just sell him as prem football could well kill anything this lad has or may have in the future.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His attitude seems all wrong, too much of the arm gestures, too much shaking the head, it seems he is blaming others (maybe the ref maybe team mates ) for his short comings. When you watch him play he is straight out the book he is so predictive the opposition know exactly how to play him, doesn't show any initiative to be a top level player, you can blame the club maybe, blame all the managers, it's hard to say but clearly he isn't what jeff shi thought he would be , not even close. Its best for him and the club to let him go on loan again January or just sell him as prem football could well kill anything this lad has or may have in the future.
Unless he turns into Bully overnight, unlikely I know, I'd let him go for good in the next window

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
I`m still thinking (hoping) Fabio will come good. He can score goals and I think he will. He is a starter at Ipswich and a full 90 mins.

Back
Top Bottom