Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doherty substitution…yes, bring him on if the plan is to create overloads on the left hand side to cross for Doc at the back post but he came on and looked lost. His presence seemed to restrict Semedo as well.

Yes, bring him on as part of a shift to a 352.

He came on and looked a bit confused, in my opinion.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Nothing to do with tactics when you can bring on quality. They pushed their full backs forward. Our wingers too tired to take advantage. He bought on Doc to nullify Robertson.

Fabio was poor couldn't hold the ball or make inroads into their defence.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His decisions sub-wise look horrific but the difference in quality between the two squads was astounding to be fair.

We bring on two under-21s players and two 22-year-olds, one who's never started a PL game and the other who has played in a handful at most, plus a right wing-back we sold three years ago and had to bring back on a free to fill the squad depth.

They had Diaz, Nunez, Konate, and then two younger players.

One thing Julen used to do was often puzzle us by leaving out a couple of players most of us would start, but then talk a lot about the squad and being on it for the full 90 mins, then often we'd bring those players on with 20-30 to go and go up a gear.

While I think our squad is poor outside the first 13-14, our Gary needs to be smarter about it. The team we ended the game with today was way, way below standard on paper, let alone in practice.

T

TheConcourse

Doherty substitution…yes, bring him on if the plan is to create overloads on the left hand side to cross for Doc at the back post but he came on and looked lost. His presence seemed to restrict Semedo as well.

Yes, bring him on as part of a shift to a 352.

He came on and looked a bit lost, in my opinion.
Assumed Doc was being brought on for Semedo, and fully expected Santi Bueno to come on for Hwang.

That would have meant we probably didn’t lose too much attacking intent, and we could potentially have added some more protection.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
So was it down to Klopp or O'Neil first half?
Klopp was too passive first half and we were set up to press high up the pitch and push forward from there. So both, obviously. Unfortunately, they have a manager who knew what to do and we have a guy who is out of his depth and has no in-game management skills.

Bruno was often the same, prepares all week to set us up but then becomes Mr Clueless once things happen during the match. I'm sure he'll have worked it out by next Thursday, but unfortunately the game was lost on Saturday.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another little dig at Lopetegui:
"We conceded an absolutely crazy second goals which is a lot of the stuff I have been trying to get out of the players really since I got here."

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it really? Liverpool were utterly dominant in the second half.

We don’t win that game, even if we go 2 up.

Hodgson, Klopp and Di Zerbi have battered him tactically.
A 2-0 lead is totally different. Let's not forget despite their dominance it took them until the 85th minute and a mistake to get ahead

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His decisions sub-wise look horrific but the difference in quality between the two squads was astounding to be fair.

We bring on two under-21s players and two 22-year-olds, one who's never started a PL game and the other who has played in a handful at most, plus a right wing-back we sold three years ago and had to bring back on a free to fill the squad depth.

They had Diaz, Nunez, Konate, and then two younger players.

One thing Julen used to do was often puzzle us by leaving out a couple of players most of us would start, but then talk a lot about the squad and being on it for the full 90 mins, then often we'd bring those players on with 20-30 to go and go up a gear.

While I think our squad is poor outside the first 13-14, our Gary needs to be smarter about it. The team we ended the game with today was way, way below standard on paper, let alone in practice.
They were missing Van Dijk and a major outlet in TAA. They started an academy player at CB.

This wasn’t a full strength Liverpool team, this was a great chance to get a point thrown away

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
T

TheConcourse

A 2-0 lead is totally different. Let's not forget despite their dominance it took them until the 85th minute and a mistake to get ahead
It was coming from minute one in the second half though wasn’t it?

We’re dealing with the finest of margins, and just like at Palace we seem to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But I don’t have any time for a manager learning the fundamentals in the most unforgiving league on the planet - we aren’t Luton.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not wrong though is he, at times we do some stupid stuff

Absolutely but in the context of what he said its pretty clear he blames Lopetegui:

"That is just the way they have been playing for an awful long time. So, trying to take that unpredictability out as much as we can until we get to the final third"

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We conceded an absolutely crazy second goals which is a lot of the stuff I have been trying to get out of the players really since I got here."

Like I said when he first got interviewed…… he is like the guy from Southampton last season…..

“Me me me, I did it” when it is good

“They/them/previous managers fault” when it doesn’t.

We had a much better defensive record than Bournemouth last season I thought? Definitely a better home record under JL…..

he needs to go and needs to go now, he is dangerously deluded about his own level of ability.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Passing the buck. That loss was mainly due to the way we set up in the 2nd half and some lunatic substitutions. All down to you Gary.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
He set us up for the 1st half and we should have been out of sight at half time. It's not his fault that Cunha has no idea how to hit the back of the net.

2nd half Klopp made changes but oneil doesn't have the strength in depth to nullify those changes, due to the Fosun firesale!!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Passing the buck. That loss was mainly due to the way we set up in the 2nd half and some lunatic substitutions. All down to you Gary.
One season wonder, blames Europa league winner and manager with much better record in the prem than him for HIS own managerial failings….. you cannot make it up!!!

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was coming from minute one in the second half though wasn’t it?

We’re dealing with the finest of margins, and just like at Palace we seem to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But I don’t have any time for a manager learning the fundamentals in the most unforgiving league on the planet - we aren’t Luton.
But the score was 1-0. If it was 2-0 they've gotta find 2 goals haven't they and I think Sa just holds they ball and wastes time

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's starting to sound very Paul Lambert -esque, i.e. having a very big opinion of himself and blaming our shortcomings on his predecessor.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He clearly is very good at analysing teams and how to set up against them. We’ve started every game (except Everton) perfectly set up and looking like a really good team. It’s when the opposition react to us where the trouble starts, it’s like he can’t see what’s happening in real time and needs video analysis and time to set a team up (usually perfectly).

Which brings me back to the need for more coaches and analysts.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Scares me as he wants to coach the unpredictable out of the players, we won’t become better by doing that!! We will become even more staid, like the second half’s have become

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were missing Van Dijk and a major outlet in TAA. They started an academy player at CB.

This wasn’t a full strength Liverpool team, this was a great chance to get a point thrown away

Indeed, hence us getting the chances to finish them off in the first half.

But we couldn't and Klopp's subs changed the game for the better and ours, while subs needed to be made, made us worse.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Assumed Doc was being brought on for Semedo, and fully expected Santi Bueno to come on for Hwang.

That would have meant we probably didn’t lose too much attacking intent, and we could potentially have added some more protection.
Santi Bueno wasn't on the bench.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scares me as he wants to coach the unpredictable out of the players, we won’t become better by doing that!! We will become even more staid, like the second half’s have become

He's right of course that we need to keep shape defensively. No need for unpredictability there
Problem is - We did keep the shape. We just went too far back and didn't have the energy for the press.
Also he makes or sound like we were disorganised under Lopetegui.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missing the point. At 2-0 it's a totally different game with players making different decisions
They still would have found three as the two goals were in the first half. So the two halves are in perfect isolation……..

Two nil to us first half, would still have been 3:0 to them second.

Sorry, but that is true. If it was the bad miss in the second half I could support your thinking.

But the fact it is all in one half means fresh reset for the second half in terms of momentum.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score

Apparently ''They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things'' Hmm...dumping on the players is never a good sign. Particularly when you are a manager who has never achieved anything in management.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed, hence us getting the chances to finish them off in the first half.

But we couldn't and Klopp's subs changed the game for the better and ours, while subs needed to be made, made us worse.
The tweaks klopp made weren’t even high intelligence tweaks…… like Brighton and palace they attack either side of the right back and flood the other side forcing the CB into making high pressure calls that are seemingly wrong more often than right……

If we had gone back 5, taken nelson off and a forward brought on DOC and Toti, I think we see that game out

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently ''They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things'' Hmm...dumping on the players is never a good sign. Particularly when you are a manager who has never achieved anything in management.
Just like the Southampton manager remember…… read his interviews, you will see the scary and worrying similarities

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Which is awfully strange as we've had really strict managers who did not let the players express themselves - we have been tied to a system since promotion with zero flair.

So why are these players suddenly ignoring the managers instructions and doing their own thing??

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They still would have found three as the two goals were in the first half. So the two halves are in perfect isolation……..

Two nil to us first half, would still have been 3:0 to them second.

Sorry, but that is true. If it was the bad miss in the second half I could support your thinking.

But the fact it is all in one half means fresh reset for the second half in terms of momentum.
This isnt fifa, the score matters, it affects the way players play. When winning you don't take the risk Sa did.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Like I said when he first got interviewed…… he is like the guy from Southampton last season…..

“Me me me, I did it” when it is good

“They/them/previous managers fault” when it doesn’t.

We had a much better defensive record than Bournemouth last season I thought? Definitely a better home record under JL…..

he needs to go and needs to go now, he is dangerously deluded about his own level of ability.

We have a real stench of saints and Nathan jones from last season about us don't we.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isnt fifa, the score matters, it affects the way players play. When winning you don't take the risk Sa did.
Yes, but the chances and momentum sways from our goals would have been in the first half. Meaning that one of the misses wouldn’t have broken up the rate or consecutive nature of the three Liverpool goals as all our chances were first half.

As I said, if cunha misses at 1:1 or when it was 1:2 I 100% agree.

But it wasnt

Back
Top Bottom