Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I've watched a screen no commentary, something was in his mind when he did Boubs for Fabio. None of us (I assume) are Premier League coaches, but maybe someone can explain what was in his mind? Something more than, we're happy with a point surely?
He probably thought Boubacar was someone else.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs is vastly overrated by our fans, but I do understand why. I praised him for his transfer dealings, although some of that is overhyped due to the failure to get a striker.

Anyway, point is, he was the one who pushed for Beale.

Read this: The Bear Pit

That's what Hobbs wanted. They just lost a game where Celtic had their 4th and 5th choice CBs, at best. They were at home with 50,000 fans, no away fans. And Hobbs wanted this guy as our manager.
100%. I've had some heated debates with people on social media for criticising Hobbs. The GON appointment was beyond awful and for some reason he thought it was a good idea. He seems better than Sellars, but far from what fans think of him.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got us on 10 points after 10 games, having played 3 of the big 6 plus Brighton and Newcastle.
That’s the best we can hope for tbh.. to stay on roughly a PPG and then hope we put a run together once the fixtures become more winnable.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the best we can hope for tbh.. to stay on roughly a PPG and then hope we put a run together once the fixtures become more winnable.
I'd gloomily predicted 2-3 points from the first batch of games to the end of September.... We look bang on target....

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has a free hit against Liverpool but the game against Luton is really big

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me no issues with team picked. Sarabia was good against Blackpool (I know they are quality!) but assuming Bellegrande is not yet available/used to system then who else plays?

Hwang sub was fine - although I’d have like to have seen more than 1 sub at that time.

Traore sub was baffling.

His persistent use of all 3 sub opps but only 4 subs is simply bizzarre when it is a hot day.

What is different for me is that JLo got to half-time drawing I felt he’d spot something and make a tweak and difference in second half. With GON I now dread the HT teamtalk and expect a worse display after the break.

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm personally willing to give him time he's a rookie manager so not going to be a tactical master but hopefully he learns from the mistakes and it's not like JLO didn't loose us points by going 3 at the back in games when we were on top like Newcastle away and let's be honest here when the team news came out I bet 9 out of 10 would have said that's the team I would have gone with more or less it's not like he's completely screwing up the line up like Bruno did

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm personally willing to give him time he's a rookie manager so not going to be a tactical master but hopefully he learns from the mistakes and it's not like JLO didn't loose us points by going 3 at the back in games when we were on top like Newcastle away and let's be honest here when the team news came out I bet 9 out of 10 would have said that's the team I would have gone with more or less it's not like he's completely screwing up the line up like Bruno did
You give him time, he will take or have set the wheels in motion for our relegation.

Southampton doomed themselves by keeping that silly bugger in situ last season till they lost to us.

We needed a manager with experience, this job and the skill and knowledge it needed was not one for a glorified apprentice……

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%. I've had some heated debates with people on social media for criticising Hobbs. The GON appointment was beyond awful and for some reason he thought it was a good idea. He seems better than Sellars, but far from what fans think of him.

Holding onto Kilman too long as he's Hobbs' pet project.
Hobbs is another promoted way before their time.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What game was he watching? Could have been 2 down in the first half with the penalty decision going our way and Kilman clearing one off the line. Don't even need to talk about the abysmal second half.
Always worrying when managers start talking rubbish, esp after games. You think back to Saunders, Solbakken, Zenga, Lambert and now GON is doing it 4 games in. I'll stick by my Xmas farewell but a run of toothless performances and he could be gone sooner imo.

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
You give him time, he will take or have set the wheels in motion for our relegation.

Southampton doomed themselves by keeping that silly bugger in situ last season till they lost to us.

We needed a manager with experience, this job and the skill and knowledge it needed was not one for a glorified apprentice……
you say that but on another thread people are asking about Potter it took him seasons to get to where they are now ...were not playing awful although we weren't fantastic today especially in defense but we're a 12th to 16th place team ATM we're not gonna trouble the top 7 and there way worse teams than us so give him time to find his best team and way to play you get nowhere chopping and changing managers

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs is just a yes man like Shi .

The problems for our club is Fosun and lacking ambition. Lopetegui called them out for a lack of it basically, they didn't like it and fired him to replace him for Yan the Yesman to stop rocking the boat .

That only ends with average footballers wanting to come to the club and players leaving. Which if you ask yourself deep down is what we have done in the window.

Yes I hear some say FFP . So the proof will be there in January won't it or do we have to wait 25 years till we are fine but others are fine ? If that's the case then ****ing **** poor management by Fosun and Shi . And both are still here so something needs to change doesn't it or Lage mark 2 here we come

Bradstonian

Reaction score

You do realise the manager isn’t actually able to kick the balls on the pitch. I’ll stay sensible and give him a chance

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I was optimistic watching us vs Rennes and Man Utd and even in the friendly against Luton. It was so refreshing to see the way we played and hoped we had really turned the corner and looking forward to us playing on the front foot.

We just seem to have reverted to playing the way we’ve played for the last few seasons and think it illustrates how Fosun and Co have underestimated the importance and impact a good coach has on a group of players.

Sadly I think it will be a case of whether or not we can grind out enough points but it’s not going to be pretty and may not be enough.

The dilemma for me is if we grind out enough wins then Fosun are going to be happy enough as their investment is safe for another season and so does it become rinse and repeat each season.

For me it then becomes a question of my own personal investment both financial of having to find around £2000 a year for three season tickets and also for the sake of my own mental health/enjoyment of watching us play.

It does worry me that Hobbs was so impressed and chose GON.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By the way, I really find this odd. Hobbs is clearly knowledgeable and good at finding good players at low prices.
So why be so poor at finding a manager?
Although I guess limitations such as finances and nationality didn't help
He wanted Michael Beale as well!

I’ll reserve judgement on GO until we’ve played 10 games. Very, very difficult circumstances when he was appointed and I think some Mixers need to give him a bit of slack.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not going anywhere for a while, so I don’t really see the point in banging on about it.

I was massively against this appointment from day 1, but reading some of the ****e on here is making it hard for me not to want to defend him. We’ve been worse at Palace.. no one expected anything from the first 2 games.. we won the other one.

I think we should have gotten something from the game today, Palace were poor, but constant misplaced passing and untidy play let them get onto us. The forwards couldn’t pick a pass all game either when in good positions.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not going anywhere for a while, so I don’t really see the point in banging on about it.

I was massively against this appointment from day 1, but reading some of the ****e on here is making it hard for me not to want to defend him. We’ve been worse at Palace.. no one expected anything from the first 2 games.. we won the other one.

I think we should have gotten something from the game today, Palace were poor, but constant misplaced passing and untidy play let them get onto us. The forwards couldn’t pick a pass all game either when in good positions.
I dread the Luton game. Rob Edwards showing us what we could have had..... I think that he's a novice but still more more managerial experience than GON.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you say that but on another thread people are asking about Potter it took him seasons to get to where they are now ...were not playing awful although we weren't fantastic today especially in defense but we're a 12th to 16th place team ATM we're not gonna trouble the top 7 and there way worse teams than us so give him time to find his best team and way to play you get nowhere chopping and changing managers
Potter had proven managerial experience, he had a clear and defined footballing philosophy. You cannot mention or compare the two in the same sentence as potter is and always was a far better manager than GO is showing, even if he is in his managerial infancy.

GO is too raw, in experienced and it is clear he hasn’t got a philosophy or style of play yet. He also due to his lack of experience is too slow to see patently obvious tactical and structural issues.

If you don’t think we are awful defensively and playing awfully in attack due to the lack of movement or accuracy of passing then you really need to watch that game, second half brighton and Everton again. We are comfortably inside the worst 4 teams in the league.

GO needed a league one job, as I don’t think he is even a championship standard manager. The fact he didn’t land a championship job over the summer should have set the alarm bells ringing as his stock was very high due to him being the media’s flavour of the month.

Sometimes the worst thing you give someone who is not up to the job they have is time. As the damage they cause can be very significant even if they are in post for a short time.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do realise the manager isn’t actually able to kick the balls on the pitch. I’ll stay sensible and give him a chance
No, he only trains them, sets out the tactics, can change the players that aren’t performing or tweak the games strategy or tactics to help them on the fly in the match…..

it isnt sensible to give him a chance! It was ****ing insanely stupid to give him the job in the first place. It is clear he is way out of his depth.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, he only trains them, sets out the tactics, can change the players that aren’t performing or tweak the games strategy or tactics to help them on the fly in the match…..

it isnt sensible to give him a chance! It was ****ing insanely stupid to give him the job in the first place. It is clear he is way out of his depth.
He has two weeks to change/improve things. If he doesn't...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s had 2 promotions on the bounce.. can’t understand what he’s done to be called turd?
He should have been the guy the club went for after JL went…… would have been worth the compo to be paid.

Ex player, did a fantastic job in the age groups and has done a good job with shoestring budgets and lesser players.

I would go for him now in all honesty……

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
Potter had proven managerial experience, he had a clear and defined footballing philosophy. You cannot mention or compare the two in the same sentence as potter is and always was a far better manager than GO is showing, even if he is in his managerial infancy.

GO is too raw, in experienced and it is clear he hasn’t got a philosophy or style of play yet. He also due to his lack of experience is too slow to see patently obvious tactical and structural issues.

If you don’t think we are awful defensively and playing awfully in attack due to the lack of movement or accuracy of passing then you really need to watch that game, second half brighton and Everton again. We are comfortably inside the worst 4 teams in the league.

GO needed a league one job, as I don’t think he is even a championship standard manager. The fact he didn’t land a championship job over the summer should have set the alarm bells ringing as his stock was very high due to him being the media’s flavour of the month.

Sometimes the worst thing you give someone who is not up to the job they have is time. As the damage they cause can be very significant even if they are in post for a short time.
if you want a manager with experience and knows he's style of play let's get Shaun dyce ...oh wait he's doing worse and had a whole pre season with his team

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought we were fine until we conceded, then got an equaliser but then lapsed in concentration defensively. I will give GON far more time, not going to judge after four games. The difference today between the two teams was that Palace had a goalscorer or two that always looked dangerous. We had nobody up top with any threat at all. Our two goals seemed to defect off a shoulder, just like last week too...it will be a long hard season, buckle up.

Back
Top Bottom