Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

João Moutinho

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was great but in fairness there was tons of criticism over the last two seasons whenever he was picked. There was a lot of moaning and groaning at him. It’s all there on the comms threads.

I don’t know what happened behind closed doors at Compton but I think it’s sad the way Mouthino just left.
Not with a bang but a whimper.
He deserved better, imo.
The day I use the comms thread as my barometer of a players success is the day I’ll stop watching football altogether. If that was accurate I’d be warning people that Adama was in fact the antichrist.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve been needing to move on him for 2 seasons though and has held up back in this midfield transition.

Premier league has move on in recent years to a a much greater level of speed and power , and moutinho ultimately couldn’t compete
If you'd put it like that in the first place then people wouldn't have thought you're being a disrespectful dick

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree entirely. I think Moutinho comes out top as for the best part of my 50 years watching Wolves central midfield has largely been neglected. A couple of exceptions like Alex Rae and very briefly Jeff Thomas were massively outnumbered by some truly awful players.

I hope Moutinho enjoys the end of his career wherever he ends up and that if he does go into coaching/management his corners are not a measure of his overall ability!
You need to go back to the 70s for when we last had top midfielders. Since then generally poor until Fosun arrived. Rae and Ince being the only two exceptions I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolute class in his first 2 seasons
That long second season in the Prem, and the covid year, seemed to suck the life out of him,and many more tbf
We as a club have not been the same since then
Bit of a sour end, but we dont know what went on with quite a few players at the end of last season,and probably never will
I wish you luck in the future Mouts it was a privilege to watch you in the old gold shirt

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
Those who like to throw stones at Mendes for bringing us overpriced rubbish should remember that he brought us a 31-year old Joao Moutinho for the paltry sum of £5m.

Joao was amazing, until he wasn’t as time caught up with him. To be fair I was never sure that pairing him with Neves was the right combination, but the opportunity to have him play for us was obviously something we had to grab. And in the first few seasons, he really was special.

Thanks for those good times Joao. Good luck with what comes next.

R

reanswolf

He always gave 100% for the shirt and had a deep bond with the fan base, as did Ruben.

Would love to have seen him at the Everton game, but I guess in the scheme of things that doesn’t really matter. We just wanted to say our goodbyes Joao.

Thank you for gracing the Molineux pitch and for wearing our gold shirt with such pride. It was a joy!

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Joao on Instagram:
joaomoutinho8's profile picture

I was very proud to be part of the Wolverhampton family, proud of the five years that I wore this great club shirt, proud to have the opportunity to play the best football in the world, proud on being a Wolf. Now is the time to express my deep gratitude to the club, the staff, the teammates and especially the supporters. The unbelievable and amazing fans are those who never let us feel alone, who give us encouragement, strength, support, soul. Thank you so much for these five magical years. I am a Wolf like them, and I will never forget all these great memories​

12h

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was great but in fairness there was tons of criticism over the last two seasons whenever he was picked. There was a lot of moaning and groaning at him. It’s all there on the comms threads.

I don’t know what happened behind closed doors at Compton but I think it’s sad the way Mouthino just left.
He deserved better, imo.
I think the comms threads is a very poor barometer to judge ANY player. There's a lot of childish comments on those threads, most before even the game has started.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic player. It was certainly time for him to move on, so I have no regrets that’s he’s now left, but I do have regrets about the manner he left, as he and we deserved the opportunity to say farewell and thanks properly. Would be nice to see him back at Molineux with his new team in a friendly maybe, and we can give him a more appropriate send off.
I dont know what happened behind the scenes but there must have been something that made many fans feel snubbed.He may have stayed too long with us but should be remembered for the good stuff.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless of how things ended we were privileged to see him in the Old Gold and Black. He was absolutely wonderful for the first two seasons.
Indeed he was. Made the game look so simple and in turn was pivotal to our fantastic return to the premier league. How anyone can slate him is beyond me. As much as I love neves to bits mouts in those for two premier league seasons was hesd and shoulders above him (not physically ).

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul/Joao/Adama all posted their farewells after JLo had left, wish them all the very best, just amazing for us
All wonderful players for us and each of them hugely responsible for some of our greatest moments back in the big league.

What’s incredible is that on here the norm is for average players once departed to be lauded as great and here some are damping down the quality of what we had and what was achieved through that with these players.

All good things must come to an end and this was most certainly very very good. Today’s frustration shouldn’t have any effect on what our opinions should be on some of the players who have recently left.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul/Joao/Adama all posted their farewells after JLo had left, wish them all the very best, just amazing for us
They all posted farewells on the eve of them joining new clubs.
Moutinho's farewell means nothing to me as he should have showed up for the last two games and been involved in the lap of honour. He disrespected the fans.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho's farewell means nothing to me as he should have showed up for the last two games and been involved in the lap of honour. He disrespected the fans.
Why? Why did he do that? Did he decide to do it on his own? Was he told to stay away? Had he fallen out with Julen? With Jeff?

You like the rest of us have zero idea. So to suddenly decide his massive contribution now means nothing, because he didn’t give you a little wave is pathetic.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he was waiting for Jeff to reply to a letter or memo but taken Jeff 2yeaes to get around to it .

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Indeed.
It was one of the few things I admire Julen for, tearing up the " Moutinho must play" contract and dropping him.
Mouts obviously threw the toys out.
Great player for us no question but should have been moved on a couple of years ago.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed.
It was one of the few things I admire Julen for, tearing up the " Moutinho must play" contract and dropping him.
Great player for us no question but should have been moved on a couple of years ago.
Source?

Or is it just ‘stands to reason innit. Never liked him anyway and did you know he earnt 100k a week?’

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed.
In fairness, before JL, there were very limited options to drop/rest Moutinho. Saying that, would have been nice to see more of Vitinha.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He deserved better, imo.
Nobody escapes on the Comms threads, 1 wrong move and they are toast for weeks.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think there’s perhaps more to this than meets the eye, although i’m disappointed he didn’t do the right thing when it came to that.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better late than never. I guess that there were reasons behind the scenes - probably some issues with Lopetegui I'd guess or unhappy with the club hierarchy. Whatever. He has calmed down and reflected on the good times.

People should remember peak Moutinho in Old Gold. What a player he was. We were lucky to get him. Thanks Joao!

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From the games I had seen before he came to Wolves I remembered him as a neat and tidy player, able to pass the ball around nicely.

I was really surprised in his first season with us about how competitive he was. So many times he won the ball off physically stronger opponents, fighting for it like a little terrier. He made Pogba look like a schoolboy when we played United away and he capped that display with a great goal.

He was probably overused in the following seasons and his legs couldn't cope with that. Still he was class, the combative spirit was still there and he contributed in some crucial moments. Surely must have been an inspiration to the younger colleagues.

Top player - we're privileged to have seen him at Wolves.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm certainly with those withholding judgement until and unless we actually find out the circumstances. If he was given the impression that he would have a role this season (maybe something related to his accepting the one year extension last season) and then that was withdrawn then I can understand why he'd be annoyed, he totally committed to Wolverhampton as I understand it, so his whole family was affected. There's not a single other thing he ever did that was ever less that totally respectful to the fans, so I really struggle to believe there isn't more to it that him 'throwing his toys' given that he was out of contract anyway.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Source?

Or is it just ‘stands to reason innit. Never liked him anyway and did you know he earnt 100k a week?’

Yes cos that's exactly what I said.... " I never liked him to start with"!?

Couldn't care less who earns what, it's not my money.... he got dropped and disappeared.
If you think he wasn't picked on reputation for the last 2 seasons and deserved to be a near ever present in a midfield that created little and who's set pieces were deplorable , then you're easily pleased.

What's your take on it?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes cos that's exactly what I said.... " I never liked him to start with"!?

Couldn't care less who earns what, it's not my money.... he got dropped and disappeared.
If you think he wasn't picked on reputation for the last 2 seasons and deserved to be a near ever present in a midfield that created little and who's set pieces were deplorable , then you're easily pleased.

What's your take on it?
Who exactly from our extensive list of top midfielders should have displaced him over the past two years? Excepting obviously Lemina and Gomes who ultimately did? We weren’t exactly blessed with options.
As for a midfield that ‘created little’ for nearly all of Moutinho’s tenure his job wasn’t to create chances, he and Neves were the fulcrum of the horseshoe of doom. Levelling the accusation at them that they ‘didn’t create enough chances’ just tells me you didn’t understand the tactics or what their jobs were.

In any event, it doesn’t explain how someone who was at one point the best Wolves player in recent memory and someone who exudes class, professionalism and leadership is so shabbily relegated to an unworthy cast off, because he didn’t give you a little wave on demand and you’re petulant about it.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The day I use the comms thread as my barometer of a players success is the day I’ll stop watching football altogether. If that was accurate I’d be warning people that Adama was in fact the antichrist.
I think the comms threads is a very poor barometer to judge ANY player. There's a lot of childish comments on those threads, most before even the game has started.
My post was not about judging players via the Comms thread…….Christ no.

Kabot called a Mixer a tool because he didn’t like Mouthino.
I was just pointing out that many Mixers have shown hostility towards Mothino over the years…….ergo, see the comms threads.

Back
Top Bottom