Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to try to resist wasting my time defending Lopetegui, and I'm not going to attack O'Neil, he's our man now so he has my backing. I just hope the positivity is still there at the end of the month. A couple of early wins would make all our lives a lot easier.

I can see us being winless going into September. We've got one of the hardest starts to the season

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also think that had Lopetegui left, we had an interim manager for a few games, looked around and then appointed O’Neil the reaction might not have been quite as bad. We would have been disappointed but wouldn’t have had the immediate realisation of losing our manager and getting one deemed not good enough.

Just a thought.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't turn into a Nathan Jones type situation where we the ground becomes toxic and we are looking for another new manager in a couple of months.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A couple of things give me grounds for optimism (and yes, I’m searching for grounds for optimism…)

The first one is Bournemouth last year. They weren’t the most talented bunch of players but bloody hell they tried. They looked like they really wanted to win, in contrast to a few Wolves players last season who looked like winning would be quite nice but, you know…

Secondly, Eddie Howe. I used to look at his support staff and think, ‘They’re just ordinary English guys. Ex-players, and sometimes not very good ones.' Well, they've had plenty of success, and they’re managing Isak and Guimaraes pretty comfortably. So maybe you don’t need to be Spanish or Portuguese to manage/coach Spanish & Portugues players. And maybe you can still be a decent coach without being Spanish or Portuguese…

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also think that had Lopetegui left, we had an interim manager for a few games, looked around and then appointed O’Neil the reaction might not have been quite as bad. We would have been disappointed but wouldn’t have had the immediate realisation of losing our manager and getting one deemed not good enough.

Just a thought.
I think it would have been worse. A repeat of the Beale fiasco where they appeared to be looking in only one direction.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The follow up poddy with a more balanced view had no Bournemouth fans on it, so no wonder you feel better about it.

I feel awful after watching Dave's video with the Bournemouth fan and no amount of Wolves fans thinking they know more about O'Neil than B'mouth fans will change that.
Any Bournemouth fan should be happy he kept them up with his boring strategy, cause Parker was about to take them right back down.

Luckily, he doesn't need to do that here.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any Bournemouth fan should be happy he kept them up with his boring strategy, cause Parker was about to take them right back down.

Luckily, he doesn't need to do that here.
He does at Old Trafford

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think you can really say the way he played at Bournemouth is his preferred style of football. He came in after they’d been pumped 9-0 and had been written off by everyone, he was obviously going to try and shore the defence up as a priority. I am sure he had plans for the summer to improve the playing style but never got a chance to implement it. Look at our playing style under the messiah Lopetegui - we were absolutely awful to watch, a couple of games aside.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve kind of come around to this move when it became clear (through mainly Fosun’s fault) that Lopetegui’s position was untenable.

Regarding style of play I think we can all ignore everything that the Bournemouth fans say about it because maybe he adapted a needs must approach. I’m aware I’ve completely 180’d on this, I’m glad I have, but he’s already complimented the quality of player here and I don’t believe Hobbs would have employed him if he’d gone “yea I want to employ a very pragmatic, defence first approach, no frills just smash and grab” in his interview.

Time will tell but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that there might be more to O’Neil than what we saw at Bournemouth.

** I’m also prepared to 180 on this post too.
Great points, a good manager uses what they have in the most effective way. GON has different players to Bournemouth, so if he is worth any pay at all he will use those resources to play to the strengths of players he has. If he plays a set style without the players we know where that leads.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What strategy would JL use?
Probably not the one he used against Celtic, where we should have been 4 goals down after half an hour via simple through balls or balls over the top exposing our high line and lack of pace - that the likes of Rashford would have a field day against

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This feels a bit like the Saunders debacle to me. When we go him in, we thought it's a but left field and doesn't seem right for the level we were at the time, but maybe we should give him benefit of the doubt, maybe he'll get something going. Then obviously our worst fears were realized.

With O'Neil, feels the same. You want to back him, give him benefit of the doubt but ultimatley I don't think he's the man for this level. It's gonna be a shambles. I'd be amazed if he's still here by xmas (Hopefully he proves me wrong!).

I can see it now, we'll be middling along in the championship next season, hoping we can get on a late run to sneak into the play-offs.
The Nuno, Neves and Raul days will be a distant memory.

(Can someone re-post this, if he takes us into a cup-final and Europe, I'll happily rejoice at my negative premonition!)
This is how I feel , probably because the Saunders doesn't seem that long ago to me

loppers86

Reaction score
I see no bright side.

He has the job for being a man who says yes from day 1 which is exactly what we don't need with these owners.
i suspect he’s offered to work for free until he’s proved himself. can’t think of any other reason why he wouldn’t be last choice from the global pool of managers.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I can see us being winless going into September. We've got one of the hardest starts to the season
True enough, but we can't stay up by only beating the 3 worse teams we're hoping are out there! I'll take some decent performances for no points in August though I guess.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't turn into a Nathan Jones type situation where we the ground becomes toxic and we are looking for another new manager in a couple of months.
That's exactly what I think we'll happen.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Where has this image that counter-attacking is a negative thing come from? That iconic Jota goal against United in the cup, a brilliant breakaway counterattack. I think it'll suit our squad to play in a similar way to how he had Bournemouth but with better players hopefully have a bit more control of the match.
We don't have the pace to play counter attacking football.

This team was built to press and play intricate football through the lines.

Inverted wide men link up with ball carrying central midfielders and a deep lying striker/ 10 to move the ball into the box.

It is not built for a deep low block where you can spring a forward with a long raking ball and turn a defence in a heartbeat. We just sold the player who could do that and nobody up front is very quick at all.

If O'Neil plays the same mutant ball/ Warnock ball he did at Bournemouth with ****e like Dykes he'll be sacked after 10 games.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where has this image that counter-attacking is a negative thing come from? That iconic Jota goal against United in the cup, a brilliant breakaway counterattack. I think it'll suit our squad to play in a similar way to how he had Bournemouth but with better players hopefully have a bit more control of the match.
I like counter attacking.. but we’ve not got the players for it anymore imo.

It’s taken 3 years to change the squad to a pressing one.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of things give me grounds for optimism (and yes, I’m searching for grounds for optimism…)

The first one is Bournemouth last year. They weren’t the most talented bunch of players but bloody hell they tried. They looked like they really wanted to win, in contrast to a few Wolves players last season who looked like winning would be quite nice but, you know…

Secondly, Eddie Howe. I used to look at his support staff and think, ‘They’re just ordinary English guys. Ex-players, and sometimes not very good ones.' Well, they've had plenty of success, and they’re managing Isak and Guimaraes pretty comfortably. So maybe you don’t need to be Spanish or Portuguese to manage/coach Spanish & Portugues players. And maybe you can still be a decent coach without being Spanish or Portuguese…
Watched quite a bit of their game vs Everton on last day as we were being humiliated by Arsenal. Bournemouth were the better team and but for some Pickford saves and poor finishing they would have won comfortably. With nothing to play for and at a hostile place like Everton and them desperate for a result it was a fair effort.

Last edited:

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that was a decent little video tbf. Got them working from the off. Players seemed pretty happy. I'm not over the moon about the whole thing, but I imagine O'Neil will certainly give his all and expect much the same from the players.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

First peak into GON's ethos and I'm encouraged

Was just about to say the same thing, and seems to align with the peek we had of training……. I’m dare I say it, starting to feel positive

Sorry if I’ve just cursed it!

loppers86

Reaction score
i’d estimate the chances of that happening are at least 99.99%

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This actually reads well

A little bit Bruno but without the Bruno bull****. He is definitely bugging up the players.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it could become toxic towards Fosun not the manager. Nathan Jones is a particular individual who is a legend in his own lunchtime.
Yep O Neil seems like a good bloke and he’s 100% right to accept the position that was offered. Any toxicity due to him(hopefully not)not being good enough should be directed at Hobbs, Jeff and Fosun

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting you say we know plenty about O’Neil, seems to go against everyone saying he has no experience. Which one is it??
We know despite keeping a team like Bounemouth up, their fans weren’t upset when he got the boot.

We know the Bournemouth board couldn’t wait to get shot.

We know he hasn’t managed a full season, so I would say he’s inexperienced.

Hope this helps !

Back
Top Bottom