Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team vs Luton

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
We should never have sold Giles.
Disagree for me. If we were playing a 5 then maybe you could get away with him at LWB for his crossing. No chance he could play in a 4 for me. Defensively not good enough/disciplined enough.

You don’t have RAN/Bueno/Giles.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should never have sold Giles.
Disagree. He was still wanting at the defensive side.
Yes he has a fine cross on him but it would be like signing JWP because he takes a good free kick.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved how RAN seemed to have a free role last night, he was all over the pitch and linking play all the way up that left side.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giles did what it says on the tin last night, which is why I would have kept him. Our problem is scoring goals, not keeping them out, he would have been a more varied option at left back/left midfield than what we’ve currently got. Sacrifice the defensive side at times to create chances from wide areas.
I honestly thought it highlighted why it was a good decision to be fair. He has one really good trick but he was easy to get past, that is going to get punished hugely in this league.

9 times out of 10, we bury a few of those chances and it'll have been a rout.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I thought Boubacar was excellent last night. I lost count of the amount of times he did those niggly fouls City and Liverpool do all the time to stop counters and he wasn't booked either.

He also spread the play beautifully, won headers, mopped up second balls. He was taking no prisoners and it was great to see. I like seeing players take the game by the scruff of the neck- we are too used to passivity but Boubacar's was the opposite of that- his energy was infectious.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
We drew….
So John b , I take it you didn’t watch it, obs. Yeah we were playing a relegation certainty, but a lot of players put in some good performances. Sasa had a golden opportunity but like I said he’s coming back from injury. I’m one of the tell it as I see posters, some don’t like it, where are you John b.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I have seen various comments about how we played but as an aside what were Luton like and did they bring many fans ?

wesley

Reaction score
Was there an official attendance reported?

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Personally, I thought Boubacar was excellent last night. I lost count of the amount of times he did those niggly fouls City and Liverpool do all the time to stop counters and he wasn't booked either.

He also spread the play beautifully, won headers, mopped up second balls. He was taking no prisoners and it was great to see. I like seeing players take the game by the scruff of the neck- we are too used to passivity but Boubacar's was the opposite of that- his energy was infectious.
Absolutely with you on this buddy! Even said to my lad I prefer him in there to Lemina, he just gets across the pitch so quick and like you said he does the dirty bits when needed too. With Pitbull in there too they bossed the midfield….loved Pitbulls reverse dunk with his left leg second half that Hwang should have done loads better with! We are so close squad wise!…Is it just me or would Mosquera be great in this team alongside Kilman?…flying in MLS!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly thought it highlighted why it was a good decision to be fair. He has one really good trick but he was easy to get past, that is going to get punished hugely in this league.

I agree with what you say but there will be games (like the two Bournemouth ones from last season or ones where we are chasing and nothing is happening) where we will need something different and will need to throw caution a little. I just think that RAN and Bueno are pretty similar in what they do and maybe a different option would have been beneficial. We do have a buy back (if reports are to be believed) so I guess this is the season he will be fully judged.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the final score was?
We are in big big trouble unless we sign players
Honestly we carved them open and missed some real sitters. It was one of those floodgate games where if one had went in we would/could have gone on to get 4 or 5.

At this stage I’ll take us missing chances over wondering if we are going to create a single chance in 90mins.

If we play the same way on Saturday it should be a cause for more optimism going in to the season.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha

"Rob Edwards’ side were full value for the draw and could have snatched a victory if Elijah Adebayo’s strike in the second half wasn’t ruled out for offside."

So they could have won it, had they scored a valid goal? Not got further than that yet, but this match report isn't promising.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play to Giles, he did put in some superb crosses, but what else did he do ?
Wolves are not good enough to start, or bring on a player who’s only attribute is crossing.
It would be a massive risk. Realistically how many crosses would lead to goals, even one a game is not possible. He would cause more problems than solutions.
Luton will be lucky not to concede 10 against the decent teams in the premier league...we carved them open for fun at times.......and Giles is a part of that.....not an exception to it..

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Rob Edwards’ side were full value for the draw and could have snatched a victory if Elijah Adebayo’s strike in the second half wasn’t ruled out for offside."

So they could have won it, had they scored a valid goal? Not got further than that yet, but this match report isn't promising.
I thought last night didn't bode particularly well for them tbh. Put it that way. They'll win the odd one here and there, especially at home and they'll score the odd set piece, but they really weren't up to much. I think 3 nil to Wolves last night would have been a perfectly fair result. We were quite wasteful

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva brought an energy to attack we have been missing as did Sasa - should have scored though
Decent performance and I am encouraged that the runs into space Sasa was making and Silva always made are now finally being picked up - some great runs into space and then passes between defenders.

Cant help thinking we were hasty with Giles, his corners and crosses were absolute quality - odd to lose him now we finally have two tall centre forwards.

Can't help feeling that Fabio and Sasa would love to be on the end of those deliveries. If we are concerned about the defensive side of his game then play 4-4-2 with him or Neto vying for the wide left slot.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m at least starting to understand how we are setting up! Hard to define it as 433/4231, it’s literally a complete mix of positions.
A centre forward, a second striker, 1 winger, 1 AM, 1 CM , 1DM, a fullback and a wingback.

Felt like it worked and mostly everyone was in their best position.
I hope people stop claiming Nunes is being asked to play on the wing, he really isn’t.
Also thought Hwang did well, I’d expect him to currently be ahead of Neto for that spot.
Hwang ahead of Neto? Absolutely no chance.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang ahead of Neto? Absolutely no chance.
I thought Hwang played Ok last night, but I still dont see why we are keeping him if we are short of cash and want Scott.
Sell Podence, Hwang and Jonny and buy Scott and Elvedi and the job's a goodun! Easy!!
(And yes, I know that no one seems to want Podence or Jonny and that their wage demands are probably too expensive for most!)

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SA
SEMEDO KILMAN DAWSON AIT-NOURI
LEMINA GOMES NUNES
NETO CUNHA
SILVA

SUBS:
BENTLEY
Doherty
Bueno
Toti
Traore
Sarabia
Hwang
Kaladjzic

Rugrats

Reaction score
And the final score was?
We are in big big trouble unless we sign players
Haha - we’re down already unless we sign players! Just read a BBC article with three pundits all agreeing Wolves are down as it stands. There is no possible way on earth this squad can compete at premier league level. Let’s stop beating around the bush.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha - we’re down already unless we sign players! Just read a BBC article with three pundits all agreeing Wolves are down as it stands. There is no possible way on earth this squad can compete at premier league level. Let’s stop beating around the bush.
If we don’t start scoring goals then we’ll be depending on there being three worse teams than us.

By all accounts we played well last night with a clearer sign of how we want to play. But it’s the same story as the last three seasons, we can’t score. Two goals in four friendlies with only one being from open play follows the familiar pattern but if we keep playing on the front foot I think we’re good enough for mid table.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was busy last night so was the first pre-season game I've not watched live.

Just seen the highlights and as others have already touched on, it's looking promising.

I know it's only Luton, but I can't remember us having that many chances in a game for a very long time. Fabio seemingly at the heart of most things!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So John b , I take it you didn’t watch it, obs. Yeah we were playing a relegation certainty, but a lot of players put in some good performances. Sasa had a golden opportunity but like I said he’s coming back from injury. I’m one of the tell it as I see posters, some don’t like it, where are you John b.
Jusf a cheeky flippant quip in response to your “we can only beat the team in front of us”. Apologies if offended.

As you’ll have seen from my other posts I enjoyed last night (yes I did see it and all of Celtic and Porto games btw) and I wonder how many of the 9 “reserves” last night will be first team choices in a few weeks time. Doc, Fabio, Sasa, one of Traore/Gomes, RAN.

This Forum is about views so carry on and tell it as it is.

Where am I - trying to stay balanced when others get too excited with a win or too low after a defeat. Last night was a positive performance and I would have said the same if we’d won or lost 1-0.

I’m generally positive about the squad and believe a small number of additions (CB, Midfield) plus replacing anyone else in 19/20 main squad sold and we’ll be in a decent place. I wish JLo would shut up or move on and not drag us through the gutter or CYA.

Fosun - naively I’m still positive about where we are and what they have done for us. Fully get they need to take some money back after last years’ expense both for FFP and Cashflow. Will only be worried if no additions to squad by end of August.

Rugrats

Reaction score
I thought Hwang played Ok last night, but I still dont see why we are keeping him if we are short of cash and want Scott.
Sell Podence, Hwang and Jonny and buy Scott and Elvedi and the job's a goodun! Easy!!
(And yes, I know that no one seems to want Podence or Jonny and that their wage demands are probably too expensive for most!)
Agreed - why the waiting around for Hwang to completely transform into something lethal is happening I’ve no idea.
If we don’t start scoring goals then we’ll be depending on there being three worse teams than us.

By all accounts we played well last night with a clearer sign of how we want to play. But it’s the same story as the last three seasons, we can’t score. Two goals in four friendlies with only one being from open play follows the familiar pattern but if we keep playing on the front foot I think we’re good enough for mid table.
to be fair it was Luton - bookies have almost stopped taking bets on them going down and STILL we couldn't score a solitary goal. Anyone who's bought a season ticket to a season that RIGHT NOW is guaranteed to be a world of pain need a check up from the neck up imo.

Rugrats

Reaction score
Honestly we carved them open and missed some real sitters. It was one of those floodgate games where if one had went in we would/could have gone on to get 4 or 5.

At this stage I’ll take us missing chances over wondering if we are going to create a single chance in 90mins.

If we play the same way on Saturday it should be a cause for more optimism going in to the season.
Sadly they dont' award points for 'carving'

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed - why the waiting around for Hwang to completely transform into something lethal is happening I’ve no idea.

to be fair it was Luton - bookies have almost stopped taking bets on them going down and STILL we couldn't score a solitary goal. Anyone who's bought a season ticket to a season that RIGHT NOW is guaranteed to be a world of pain need a check up from the neck up imo.
We’ve got Rennes on Saturday. They knocked 5 past Forest and 3 past Wet Spam, only conceding one in the process! Will be a bigger workout.

Rugrats

Reaction score
Or points in friendlies.
Thats lucky then or we would already been bottom after playing the relegation certs and a Mickey Mouse league outfit that could have run riot it they too had a clinical finisher.

We buy a striker or we're utterly ****** it's really that simple. All the various formation threads is just shifting the chairs on the Titanic. Name one Premier side that Hodge would get into, or who wouldn't have run out of patience with Hwang?

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Jusf a cheeky flippant quip in response to your “we can only beat the team in front of us”. Apologies if offended.

As you’ll have seen from my other posts I enjoyed last night (yes I did see it and all of Celtic and Porto games btw) and I wonder how many of the 9 “reserves” last night will be first team choices in a few weeks time. Doc, Fabio, Sasa, one of Traore/Gomes, RAN.

This Forum is about views so carry on and tell it as it is.

Where am I - trying to stay balanced when others get too excited with a win or too low after a defeat. Last night was a positive performance and I would have said the same if we’d won or lost 1-0.

I’m generally positive about the squad and believe a small number of additions (CB, Midfield) plus replacing anyone else in 19/20 main squad sold and we’ll be in a decent place. I wish JLo would shut up or move on and not drag us through the gutter or CYA.

Fosun - naively I’m still positive about where we are and what they have done for us. Fully get they need to take some money back after last years’ expense both for FFP and Cashflow. Will only be worried if no additions to squad by end of August.
Ok flippant post accepted ✅. Yes I agree with what you’re saying, I’ll add Nunes is not a winger, Doherty has to start, and so does Silva. The first 11 he put out last night I thought were likeable, counter attacking. But like I said it was Luton and they must be odds on to go down. I live in the south west and I’ve seen Scott a few times and for me he’s just what we need, a attacking midfielder.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats lucky then or we would already been bottom after playing the relegation certs and a Mickey Mouse league outfit that could have run riot it they too had a clinical finisher.

We buy a striker or we're utterly ****** it's really that simple. All the various formation threads is just shifting the chairs on the Titanic. Name one Premier side that Hodge would get into, or who wouldn't have run out of patience with Hwang?
What striker would you sign inside our budget of **** all then?

Rugrats

Reaction score
We’ve got Rennes on Saturday. They knocked 5 past Forest and 3 past Wet Spam, only conceding one in the process! Will be a bigger workout.
yep that might be a good barometer (Wet Spam like it!)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We didn’t have a forward last season, had a ridiculously awful first half the season and still stayed up comfortably.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok flippant post accepted ✅. Yes I agree with what you’re saying, I’ll add Nunes is not a winger, Doherty has to start, and so does Silva. The first 11 he put out last night I thought were likeable, counter attacking. But like I said it was Luton and they must be odds on to go down. I live in the south west and I’ve seen Scott a few times and for me he’s just what we need, an attacking midfielder.
Thanks - same page.

I don’t disagree re Nunes but not certain where he fits then. Unless he has a monster next to him there is a mistake in him in CM with one dribble too many (RAN has a similar risk at LB). Not seen Scott so cannot comment on his ability. Is the AM a no 10 (which is where Cunha and Silva are effectively playing). How would you set team up?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree.

I like Giles and was really disappointed to learn we were selling him, but I've never seen him as a left back. He's an old fashioned winger who was shoehorned into a left wing back role in a competitive side on the front foot chasing promotion, and that's where his shortfalls are hidden or tolerated.

For Luton last night, our better chances were fashioned in behind him. And that's as a wing-back, where there's a bit more protection. For us, it wouldn't be a good fit. And when you look at him in his natural position, left-wing, we seem to be favouring narrower inside forwards and a more centrally-focused attacking schema, which isn't Giles' natural game, so I can understand why Julen has moved him (and Chiquinho) on, even despite being very effective and I think a player who will go on to establish himself in the Premier League.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree for me. If we were playing a 5 then maybe you could get away with him at LWB for his crossing. No chance he could play in a 4 for me. Defensively not good enough/disciplined enough.

You don’t have RAN/Bueno/Giles.

I dont think Bueno is good enough defensively yet and isnt as good as Giles in an attacking sense. We should have loaned out Bueno for a season and kept Giles.

Back
Top Bottom