Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio played a total of 3,351 minutes in all competitions: 1,528' in the Belgian league (17 starts), scoring 7 goals (218' per goal); 600' in the Eredivisie (only 5 starts), scoring 4 goals (150' per goal); 529' in the Europa Conference League (6 starts), scoring 1 goal; and 56' in two Europa League games against Sevilla, scoring one goal (and one assist). In total competitions, he scored 16 goals and 6 assists - 209' per goal or 152' per goal contribution.

Let's compare to Gyokeres, for whom many Mixers were clamoring. Viktor played more minutes and had many more starts, 4,376' in all competitions: and three starts in the Championship Playoffs: 4,021' in the Championship (44 starts), scoring 21 goals (192' per goal); 300' in the Championship Playoffs, with no goals (but two assists); and 55' in the FA Cup, scoring one goal. In total competitions, he scored 22 goals and 12 assists - 199' per goal or 129' per goal contribution.

While Gyokeres was in a tougher league, he is also 25 years old. I would argue that there's not much between them. In any event, I don't think it's accurate to say that Fabio didn't do well on loan last year...

All that said, I don't think he's quite ready to lead the line regularly for Wolves...yet. He would very handy as a second striker or inside forward and sometime striker, depending on the opposition. He's much stronger and quicker than when we saw him in 2021-22.

I posted before that countless players in their youth outscored Fabio last season. He did ok, nothing more.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score

Frustrating juncture for us but you can totally understand Bristol’s position to drive a hard bargain, as I’m sure we’d implore Wolves to do the same if in a similar position.

The hope is that Lopetegui’s reported clear and long standing interest in him and the player feeling wanted and sold on the idea is compelling enough to ward off other suitors

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've made an utter **** up really the past few years, guess we are paying the price for that this summer now

Silva - £35m
Semedo - £30m
Guedes - £30m
Nunes - 35m
Cunha - £43m

That's just shy of £170m. Very little back either. And up until this summer, very little back from our own sales

Even the likes of Cutrone came in for big fees, very little back. Raul, Jonny...£50m there? Good players for us over the years yes, but in ffp perspective, how's that eventually going to look when we get very little back?

Adama Traore fits into that too. £18m signing, which we probably paid over the 5 years of his contract to then leave for nish.

We have made our own bed to now lay in and I guess it is what it is, FFP has to take its course

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sevilla have made El Nesyri available. A shame we won’t be all over that. He’ll probably go to West Ham. They do have some interest in Fabio Silva though as I recall?
Surely to God that's a deal we can do? Fabio to Sevilla, En-Nesyri to Wolves.
En-Nesyri is 26, right in his peak years as a striker, 6'2" and a proper centre forward.
Get it done

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Would have expected a development from Scott quickly.

Thought we'd know if we had the bid accepted/rejected. Would think the third offer was the final one.
I can't see the sense in by what looks of it spunking all our transfer budget up the wall on a unproven 19yr old.
I get he has potential, but what happens if he doesn't set the world on fire in the upcoming season, I guarantee most people on here will be calling him a waste of money.
Better ways I think to spend the budget we seem to have.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't see the sense in by what looks of it spunking all our transfer budget up the wall on a unproven 19yr old.
I get he has potential, but what happens if he doesn't set the world on fire in the upcoming season, I guarantee most people on here will be calling him a waste of money.
Championship Young Player of the Season: last six winners

• 2018: Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
  • 2019: Max Aarons (Norwich)
  • 2020: Jude Bellingham (Birmingham)
  • 2021: Michael Olise (Reading)
  • 2022: Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest)
  • 2023: Alex Scott (Bristol City)
Fabio Silva is spunking your transfer budget: Alex Scott is a player we'd be very, very likely to make a significant profit on

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, its straightforward greed. All they can see is that he might be worth 100m one day.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is going to be a very pragmatic window. We have bought a whole load of young exciting flair players in the past and still have quite a few. But last year we shipped out too much experience and the squad had pzazz but without that strong backbone. What we clearly needed last January was more grit, determination and experience and we got that with Dawson. Obviously it's about balance strength and depth, the right mix and cutting your cloth so to speak. It looks like Lopetegui has identified that we needed a bit more Premier league experience defensively to bolster the squad. We got hammered a few times last season it looks like this is the starting point for the rebuild. Not particularly exciting in terms of arrivals as yet but we all know we need to concede less and create more and that's what is being worked on.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
En-Nesyri is 26, right in his peak years as a striker, 6'2" and a proper centre forward.
Get it done
Desperation to be proven right on Fabio.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
We've made an utter **** up really the past few years, guess we are paying the price for that this summer now

Silva - £35m
Semedo - £30m
Guedes - £30m
Nunes - 35m
Cunha - £43m

That's just shy of £170m. Very little back either. And up until this summer, very little back from our own sales

Even the likes of Cutrone came in for big fees, very little back. Raul, Jonny...£50m there? Good players for us over the years yes, but in ffp perspective, how's that eventually going to look when we get very little back?

Adama Traore fits into that too. £18m signing, which we probably paid over the 5 years of his contract to then leave for nish.

We have made our own bed to now lay in and I guess it is what it is, FFP has to take its course

Completely and utterly spot on. At our financial level — more specifically, our revenue generated as opposed to pure capital/net worth— the model cannot sustain itself within the parameters of FFP without selling some of your assets near enough to the peak of their powers and reinvesting smartly.

This summer is the reckoning of overpaying for Mendes talent combined with not doing the above at the right time or at all.

It’s great we’ve moved Neves on for an unbelievable fee considering his contract status and made profit on Collins but that’s too little too late in the context of the financial restraints and we now require this period of stabilisation / repentance.

However, unfortunately the Veruca Salt generation of “more more more” will continue to disregard this and mentally wipe the slate clean, treating and judging this window in pure isolation, sans context of the past

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely and utterly spot on. At our financial level — more specifically, our revenue generated as opposed to pure capital/net worth— the model cannot sustain itself within the parameters of FFP without selling some of your assets near enough to the peak of their powers and reinvesting smartly.

This summer is the reckoning of overpaying for Mendes talent combined with not doing the above at the right time or at all.

It’s great we’ve moved Neves on for an unbelievable fee considering his contract status and made profit on Collins but that’s too little too late in the context of the financial restraints and we now require this period of stabilisation / repentance.

However, unfortunately the Veruca Salt generation of “more more more” will continue to disregard this and mentally wipe the slate clean, treating and judging this window in pure isolation, sans context of the past
I have heard of X, Y and Z but the verruca salt generation?

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
I have heard of X, Y and Z but the verruca salt generation?
To be fair, the Veruca Salt generation got their wish and we did get a Goose that laid golden eggs.

And when I say eggs I mean no goals and when I say golden, I mean at Molineux — his name was Goncalo Guedes

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get it done
Not sure if it would be possible, but I’d certainly be tempted to float it. El Nesyri is an excellent striker and at a good age as you say. I do think Fabio will go on to become a very good striker I should add, I just have my doubts it will be here.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Championship Young Player of the Season: last six winners

• 2018: Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
  • 2019: Max Aarons (Norwich)
  • 2020: Jude Bellingham (Birmingham)
  • 2021: Michael Olise (Reading)
  • 2022: Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest)
  • 2023: Alex Scott (Bristol City)
Fabio Silva is spunking your transfer budget: Alex Scott is a player we'd be very, very likely to make a significant profit on
Apart from Bellingham the rest ain't setting the world alight unless I've missed something.
I get that Scott has promise, but that doesn't mean he's going to show it in the old gold.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Silva - £35m
Semedo - £30m
Guedes - £30m
Nunes - 35m
Cunha - £43m

Excellent post.

This is our reality and we need to accept it for what it has done to our immediate plans.

This season I would hope that we will see whatever was seen in Cunha and Nunes to warrant such expenditure!! That, at least, would give some hope for us to have a reasonable season! At this stage I would be very happy with mid table mediocrity, without last season’s stresses!!

But I’m not sure !!

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should push the boat out for him as he would make a huge difference. Unfortunately we wont though.
i’m going to pick you up on this.

it should read - unfortunately, we CAN’T though.

Hobbs’ communication has been outstanding, which is something you’ve been rightly very critical of.

we absolutely pushed the boat out in January, and we have in previous years so let’s be fair here eh?

We’ve had it explained we need a large surplus this summer, and why. We might not like it and we can analyse the past mistakes elsewhere, but be fair.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But haven’t we spent the money from Coady and Collins on Cunha and B Traore, Both were on loans to buy in the summer so that’s probably the £30 Million of sales spent,

Neves brought us essentially the £50 million we want to turn into profit,

So basically, we are Standing still at the moment which is essentially what Matt Hobbs was saying in his Press Release.

I know we are saving on big wages, like Mouts, Neves & Adama Etc. which we can turn into capital to spend, but I do worry about next season as it stands, but there remains 6 weeks so let’s see who we end up with, but we need to get our business done.

Very true.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hobbs’ communication has been outstanding, which is something you’ve been rightly very critical of.

we absolutely pushed the boat out in January, and we have in previous years so let’s be fair here eh?

We’ve had it explained we need a large surplus this summer, and why. We might not like it and we can analyse the past mistakes elsewhere, but be fair.

It was clear to me in January that we spent this summer's transfer funds then, to stay up. We had to, and it worked one way or another, but very few "middle tier" clubs can afford to go big in January and we all know that the fees (and presumably wages) tend to be inflated.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He sounds interesting

19 year old Portuguese striker who's unproven above youth level? Write that cheque for 35m Jeff!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The club should try and explore a deal for this player as he would make a big difference. Maybe offer players as part of the deal. I am fully aware of what Hobbs has said NWW. I do feel though that FFP is becoming more of an excuse now though. We are well in profit this window.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I only want the club to communicate the things I want to hear. If they tell me things I don't want to hear I'll ignore them and then moan about poor communication

The Pie Poker

Reaction score

Silva - £35m
Semedo - £30m
Guedes - £30m
Nunes - 35m
Cunha - £43m

This was part and parcel of being in bed with Mendes, overpaying for average players.

We were all warned about Mendes in the beginning, back when we were in The Chanpionship. But would we do it any different if we could go back? Not a chance. We can suck up a few seasons of FFP restrictions to be where we are now.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was clear to me in January that we spent this summer's transfer funds then, to stay up. We had to, and it worked one way or another, but very few "middle tier" clubs can afford to go big in January and we all know that the fees (and presumably wages) tend to be inflated.
without a doubt, and some of those players have now had some bedding in time and will be all the better for it.
we cannot keep spending £100m plus!
The club should try and explore a deal for this player as he would make a big difference. Maybe offer players as part of the deal. I am fully aware of what Hobbs has said NWW. I do feel though that FFP is becoming more of an excuse now though. We are well in profit this window.
respectfully how many times do you see players move as part of a deal in the other direction? Rarely, as they are over complicated
ironically the large squad you have wanted for years is ultimately the very cause of our current issues!
we were given a figure of £50m surplus by a well-respected journalist. Are we now dorgettting this figure as we don’t like it?
I only want the club to communicate the things I want to hear. If they tell me things I don't want to hear I'll ignore them and then moan about poor communication
it does feel this way on here. one poster repeatedly mentions about having players in for pre season as JL once said it while forgetting Hobbs’ words about it being a slow summer.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you seriously think if a deal for En Nesyri was possible lopetugui wouldn't want it....off course he would.....

If he wants him, they will probably look at ways it can be done I would think...

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't signing players like Scott to move on for a hopefully big profit what some want. Then theirs the opposite camp who would have been horrified if we'd sold the likes of Raul at the top of his game.
Sadly this transfers business isn't easy. Sometimes you buy expensive players and they fail. Sometimes you get lucky

R

reanswolf

But you can’t absolve them of their own financial mismanagement, which is the reason we can’t afford £25m now.

Back
Top Bottom