Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Buying a striker or not is nothing to do with your perception that we are dithering over Scott has it?
We aren’t buying a striker whilst we have sasa silva and Raul on the books.
Free or not he’s still going to take up a foreigner’s spot as well as wages.
If Raul was still the old Raul then those three would not look too bad as options although Sasa's injury record remains a concern and Fabio's current motivation or apparent lack of it is hardly encouraging. I don't know how much money is being made available to Loptegui but am assuming that if £25m or so is expended on Scott there will not be enough left over for a grown up striker. Jiminez is currently injured again but even if he stays for another year that is not going to sort out our goal drought. Who is going to score the goals based on our current options?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs on the next few weeks of the window:

“We’re very busy, very proactive in trying to bring some players in and trying to move on some players for who it’s time for new opportunities. We need to be in a profit, so this transfer window we have to be realistic, it’s not a simple one for us. It’s a natural transition for the group, some players are coming to the end of their cycle with us, but we’re still active, trying to improve. We’re trying to get the balance of the squad right, both in makeup of age and personality – one the fans can get behind and one Julen is excited by and believes in.”

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs on the next few weeks of the window:

“We’re very busy, very proactive in trying to bring some players in and trying to move on some players for who it’s time for new opportunities. We need to be in a profit, so this transfer window we have to be realistic, it’s not a simple one for us. It’s a natural transition for the group, some players are coming to the end of their cycle with us, but we’re still active, trying to improve. We’re trying to get the balance of the squad right, both in makeup of age and personality – one the fans can get behind and one Julen is excited by and believes in.”

The sting where people read that Doc was a player that JL wanted for those who were stating he would be furious. Ouffff.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get what Doc being a defensive liability is based on.
His play.

OK, when he gets back he's been decent in the air against angled balls and balls from the far byline - much better than Semedo - but his weaknesses IMV (and I don’t think I'm alone on this) are his slowness in tracking back plus his 1-against-1 defending.

Positionally, if he plays as a FB rather than as a WB under Lopetegui, which seems likely, I'm sure he can do a job. However, his lack of pace (given he's now 31 and not 28) in recovery playing outside Dawson, whose weakness is also pace, could easily be exposed.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Waiting till the last moment in the hope that some player might suddenly be a possibility is fraught with danger. We almost got relegated last season because we could not score enough goals. Sasa if he can stay fit will be a bonus. But it is a big if. Fabio apparently wants to leave and hasn't even trained with the first team yet. Can he be rejuvenated? I don't know. What is clear is that time is ticking and there is no evidence at all so far that we have found any solutions to our goalscoring problems. I don't know who other teams are interested in or not. All I know is that we are desperately short up front as things stand and any reports of us chasing strikers have dried up.
How many of our signings do we hear about until they have agreed in principle to join. Do you really think because there are no reports that we aren’t looking at strikers? As others have said we probably need to move at least one on and that will probably happen after Lop has had time to assess them all in Portugal.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
or us, it’s another homegrown player, but one who can share his knowledge and required standards across the group.

Why mention this if not an issue.

I put it in to Julen and also the recruitment guys as a possibility after we spoke. Everyone knows our financial situation at the moment, meaning getting him on a free really worked for us, but it only really worked because it’s a player the manager wants.

Finance.. gahhhh

We’re very busy, very proactive in trying to bring some players in and trying to move on some players for who it’s time for new opportunities. We need to be in a profit, so this transfer window we have to be realistic, it’s not a simple one for us. It’s a natural transition for the group, some players are coming to the end of their cycle with us, but we’re still active, trying to improve. We’re trying to get the balance of the squad right, both in makeup of age and personality – one the fans can get behind and one Julen is excited by and believes in.

Hold on to your diapers for the next two weeks

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of our signings do we hear about until they have agreed in principle to join. Do you really think because there are no reports that we aren’t looking at strikers? As others have said we probably need to move at least one on and that will probably happen after Lop has had time to assess them all in Portugal.
Its obvious now and hobbs is quite claar, we need to move some on, we want to bring a few in.

But we need to be in profit and be realistic about the window.

Now we can moan all we want but probably move it onto another thread rather than transfer window, as hobbs has put it in black and white.

Finance bad, need profit, be realistic, move on and a few in

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we reserving the kit for scott?

Then what elvedi, (cb), LB in cresewell and thats probably about it? only buy a gk if Sa goes?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great to hear your sporting director mention three times how bad the financial situation is when you've just signed someone...

Something has changed dramatically off the pitch that we haven't been told about.

Hobbs said 'the project is back on' when speaking to Cunha in January. Then we got a 'they can't have a net positive spend this summer' from journalists.

Jonny Phillips mentions out of nowhere we actually need to make £50m profit, and now Hobbs is admitting we 'need to be in a profit', which is not actually correct if FFP is the issue.

Someone used the term managed decline on here and it feels exactly what's going on here.

This is not a criticism of Hobbs by the way, I do like the way he speaks and he's giving us an update here, even if it's a bad one.

Such a shame whatever has happened has come at a time when we have Hobbs/Lopetegui. The latter is undoubtedly the best we could get for our position, and whilst it's too soon to properly judge Hobbs, he certainly seems an upgrade on what we had in that role.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The defender will now head off to Portugal with the rest of the Wolves squad on Friday for their latest pre-season training camp.
They play Porto in a friendly on Tuesday evening, before travelling to Dublin to play Celtic on Saturday, July 29.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great to hear your sporting director mention three times how bad the financial situation is when you've just signed someone...

Something has changed dramatically off the pitch that we haven't been told about.

Hobbs said 'the project is back on' when speaking to Cunha in January. Then we got a 'they can't have a net positive spend this summer' from journalists.

Jonny Phillips mentions out of nowhere we actually need to make £50m profit, and now Hobbs is admitting we 'need to be in a profit', which is not actually correct if FFP is the issue.

Someone used the term managed decline on here and it feels exactly what's going on here.

This is not a criticism of Hobbs by the way, I do like the way he speaks and he's giving us an update here, even if it's a bad one.

Such a shame whatever has happened has come at a time when we have Hobbs/Lopetegui. The latter is undoubtedly the best we could get for our position, and whilst it's too soon to properly judge Hobbs, he certainly seems an upgrade on what we had in that role.
FFP is worse than you think i assure you, its about ensuring that we can spend for future, another loss this year would put is in trouble for FFP next year and the year following.

A profit should fix that for this year.

Back
Top Bottom