Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
Sure some haven't watched him since he left... He can't play in a back four! Them forward runs and getting on the end of chances only works when he has a right sided centre back of a three to cover the massive gaps he leaves behind him..

No thank you, there is a reason Tottenham cancelled his contract and let him go to A.Madrid on a free....
The reason Spurs agreed to mutually terminate his contract is because it was originally meant to be a loan deal, however they already were at the maximum for international loans. Quickly agreed to terminate the contract so they could complete Pedro Porro deal.

Doc won't be on a massive wage, experienced in the prem and helps with the homegrown status. Not against him on a free transfer.

I agree with the concerns about him in a back 4, will be interesting to see if JL wants width from the fullbacks if he implements the 433.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a squad game now and JLo has shown that he wants a 16 that all have purpose . Switching to a 5 can be both an attacking or defensive move and Doc coming on to either chase a game a la Man City or see one out I am not opposed too for the money and he is home grown
Che Adams the same
There will still be 2 or 3 that come in I am sure
It’s certainly revolution

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depressing reading on Doherty he looked like he had clogs on when here before I doubt his pace has improved and will get murdered in a back 4.

Its going to be a long season If the likes of him and Adams are what's coming in.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not too fussed about Doherty either way. He'll offer some experienced cover for Semedo. He'll probably be cheap and his wages won't be too bad. With limited funds, it means we can spend what we do have on other more important areas such as goalscorers. It's not an exciting signing but it doesn't need to be.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On one hand;

Signing Doherty, on a free, on wages of £50-60k a week
Selling Semedo/Jonny for a fee and ridding there wages of what has to be £80k plus.

That represents smart business really.

But on the other hand;

It is a move which is just one massive head **** to be honest.

In a transfer window where we are moving on players from a previous regime for Lopetegui to build his own side, we go and resign the one player who literally epitomised the Nuno team and a system we have been clear about moving away from.

We may aswell have kept Conor Coady and gone back to a back three - which in essence, I never had a problem with anyway, we just didn't have the wing backs, ironically...

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reason Spurs agreed to mutually terminate his contract is because it was originally meant to be a loan deal, however they already were at the maximum for international loans. Quickly agreed to terminate the contract so they could complete Pedro Porro deal.

Doc won't be on a massive wage, experienced in the prem and helps with the homegrown status. Not against him on a free transfer.

I agree with the concerns about him in a back 4, will be interesting to see if JL wants width from the fullbacks if he implements the 433.
Yeah I know about the first part but do you really think Levy would allow that if they thought he was worth keeping around at all?

Sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me, a refresh so we bring back a 31 year old Doherty who has struggled since leaving and still shows his inability to defend in a back four..... Rather give Hoever a chance tbh.

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah I know about the first part but do you really think Levy would allow that if they thought he was worth keeping around at all?

Sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me, a refresh so we bring back a 31 year old Doherty who has struggled since leaving and still shows his inability to defend in a back four..... Rather give Hoever a chance tbh.
He was doing well under Conte, became their best full back for a few months

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. As good as confirmed now.

As low cost cover / competition, I’m ok with it. Frees up funds for other positions.
Exactly how I'm looking at it.

1. We need competition at RB for Semedo - Jonny is finished and Hoever isn't good enough.

2. We can't be spending millions on an amazing RB in our financial situation, firstly we won't get one and second we need the limited budget to go on attacking reinforcements, which we are absolutely crying out for.

3. Cheap, knows the club, will settle quickly and provide competition in the short term.

Is it exciting? No. But it makes sense.

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
I take it back about teamtalk if this proves to be true…

If Doherty can do what he did before, then I’m all for it. Perfect for us to be able to switch to wingbacks during games. We missed him massively when he left.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a sub when chasing a game or if we switch to a back 5 (as JL did a few times) late in game, we could do worse. But mot a starter in a back 4.
Not one I'd have gone for but let's see who else is coming in.

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m fine with this if used in his best position. Adds cover and experience and strengthens squad.

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score

I think Levy is an idiot to be honest . But I get your point.
The move doesn't excite me but I'd feel more comfortable with Doc at RB than Jonny or Hoever.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the reactions, Jesus. He’s hardly being signed to play number 9 is he. We need cover at full back, and he gives exactly that.

Think his ‘struggles’ since leaving have been a bit exaggerated. He signed for Spurs then Athletico Madrid. Hardly been dossing around the lower leagues has he.

Not exciting, but sensible and probably by far the easiest of all our potential signings to get over the line, hence why it’s the first to get done.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Some of the reactions, Jesus. He’s hardly being signed to play number 9 is he. We need cover at full back, and he gives exactly that.

Think his ‘struggles’ since leaving have been a bit exaggerated. He signed for Spurs then Athletico Madrid. Hardly been dossing around the lower leagues has he.

Not exciting, but sensible and probably by far the easiest of all our potential signings to get over the line, hence why it’s the first to get done.
Finally a bit of sense. Some ridiculous comments in the Twittersphere again this evening. Thank god they aren’t in charge of our dealings.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right, so you know JL has the final say on transfers, so this is JLs squad, but you're moaning because he isn't building his squad?

That's the head ****.
Got some news for you chap, Doherty is a RWB.

Lopetegui throughout his managerial career has played 4231/442.

It is a head**** of a signing and that is putting it kindly.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got some news for you chap, Doherty is a RWB.

Lopetegui throughout his managerial career has played 4231/442.

It is a head**** of a signing and that is putting it kindly.
Damn. Forget managers have to stick to the same tactics through their whole career.

Wish someone would tell that pesky Pep.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doherty is being bought in as a HG option which may allow Jonny to move on.

Doc has experience will.also be a good head, it's also a mendes favour and from mendes stable, but it's genuinely free cover for a position with limited impact to our budget
Jonny is shot, so this would make sense.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wrong, we need improvements at full back. Jonny, Semedo, Hoever even Lembiska. We are well stocked.

Trouble is, they are, and have proved over the last few years to not be good enough both defensively and offensively.

Doherty is not an improvement on any of those.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is shot, so this would make sense.
Just read Keens article which agrees entirely with what I said

In a summer in which Wolves are facing Financial Fair Play concerns, they are now set to bring in Doherty as a free agent to provide competition to Nelson Semedo at right-back.
Jonny Castro Otto, who can play on both flanks, is still likely to depart and the future of Ki-Jana Hoever remains uncertain after his loan spells at PSV and Stoke last season.

Kennedy

Reaction score
On one hand;

Signing Doherty, on a free, on wages of £50-60k a week
Selling Semedo/Jonny for a fee and ridding there wages of what has to be £80k plus.

That represents smart business really.

But on the other hand;

It is a move which is just one massive head **** to be honest.

In a transfer window where we are moving on players from a previous regime for Lopetegui to build his own side, we go and resign the one player who literally epitomised the Nuno team and a system we have been clear about moving away from.

We may aswell have kept Conor Coady and gone back to a back three - which in essence, I never had a problem with anyway, we just didn't have the wing backs, ironically...
Great post.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doherty is being bought in as a HG option which may allow Jonny to move on.

Doc has experience will.also be a good head, it's also a mendes favour and from mendes stable, but it's genuinely free cover for a position with limited impact to our budget
My allow us to sign Ocampus say ... bringing Doherty in on a free and say moving Jonny out on loan......that maybe the right hand side ok then and with not much outlay ...

Back
Top Bottom