Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

DJLWolf

Reaction score
His final season at Everton was his first full season, the previous two seasons he has 23 and 28 appearances across all competitions, respectively.

Explain how they finished above us.

No, I am comparing that focusing on 6 months of a player and writing him off is absolutely silly.
I've already explained why they finished above us, they have an exceptional striker.

You stick Toney in our team and we finish above them.Miles above them.

Therefore, player for player they aren't better than us, just at centre forward.

There is a reason that centre forwards are way, way more expensive than all other positions on the park.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Collins and think he could improve and go on to be a very good player, but the comparisons to John Stones are a little odd, because he could equally go on to be a Titus Bramble or Steven Taylor - both very highly rated young defenders that couldn't eradicate mistakes from their game.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds silly because Jota has performed well in the mean time, and we never really replaced him. Pretty much every club in the Premier league would take a fit Jota.
Burnley won the championship last season without him. They got someone on loan from Man City considered by their fans at least a lot better than him as a replacement.
I really don't understand why people think the bar is so high with this guy. That he is the future and Toti and Kilman are seemingly not.
No one said the latter at the bottom.

They won the Championship without him? Oh, bet he was gutted at having to be stuck with top flight football.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
‘Another step in the right direction for FFP’.

Dion Sanderson goes to Saudi Arabia for £1bn.

Wolves: ‘That might just give us a little bit of wriggle room this summer’.
Fosun: "oh, actually, we've just been looking at the books and it's actually £500m that we need to recoup this window."

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sanderson will be Blues bound before the window ends.

Yerson is staying in the MLS this season (and FC Cincinnati are absolutely FLYING).

So I highly doubt it.

I'm sure Yerson loan ends but the is an option for it continue onto next season. Same age as Collins. As 4/5th choice CB. Saves us cash for other areas

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the Liam Keen brief, if Collins goes they are looking to replace him with Coady (so my son tells me),
Kongdogbia meanwhile is going to West Ham

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot see an issue with Neves going from SA club to Newcastle on loan, well within their rights.
The clubs play in different parts of the world, just like Man City with Melbourne /New York or any other club that is under the umbrella of one owner/company.

Watford have done this with Udinese for years now and no one said anything, but oh wait that wasn't upsetting the cartel of the big 6.

I think the Premier League stops this kind of transfer then a law suit would be made as restriction of trade.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only ones id be miffed to lose at this point are Dawson Lemina Gomes x2
Kilman Nunes Cunha and Sarabia on the cusp rest can go for me

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets be fair the way they played for 90% of last season would we miss many?
I must admit, I keep coming back to this reasoning. As fans we become attached to our players but the truth is that most of them were utter garbage last season and don't actually deserve a chance next season. That said, we do need to be able to field 11 players.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I like Collins and think he could improve and go on to be a very good player, but the comparisons to John Stones are a little odd, because he could equally go on to be a Titus Bramble or Steven Taylor - both very highly rated young defenders that couldn't eradicate mistakes from their game.
The best post I've read regarding this that hits the nail on the head perfectly.

The non collins fans are not categorically saying he won't go on to be a good centre half.They are merely pointing out that the evidence thus far deems that unlikely and with this sort of offer, it's probably sensible to do the business on the balance of probability and the fact we need to bring money in to address the problems we have within the existing squad.

The pro Collins fans are talking like it's a cast iron guarantee he'll become a top centre back.Other than the fact he's just 22 I have absolutely no idea what they are basing it on.If it was true, or very likely, the big clubs would be in for him.They aren't, they're nowhere to be seen.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's also a completely different type of centre back to John Stones. Stones was less combative and took more chances on the ball, something City saw and could work with in time. If he'd have stayed at Everton would he have been anywhere near the player he is now?

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Collins is a player with a lot of potential. I'd like us to keep him. But it's not the end of the world if he goes. I'm far more concerned at the notion of Fabio wanting out, and selling him at a loss, because that will be damning of the club, the project, and the failure of the last few years.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot see an issue with Neves going from SA club to Newcastle on loan, well within their rights.
The clubs play in different parts of the world, just like Man City with Melbourne /New York or any other club that is under the umbrella of one owner/company.

Watford have done this with Udinese for years now and no one said anything, but oh wait that wasn't upsetting the cartel of the big 6.

I think the Premier League stops this kind of transfer then a law suit would be made as restriction of trade.
This is totally different level though
Moving a top player like Neves to Saudi, then loaning him to avoid FFP, whilst at same time having both clubs under same umbrella ownership is a definite conflict of interest
Fair play for the try but it wont go unnoticed

DJLWolf

Reaction score
No one said the latter at the bottom.

They won the Championship without him? Oh, bet he was gutted at having to be stuck with top flight football.
I imagine he was delighted to get out of there after in that last game where they got relegated. He suddenly and randomly thought he was playing volleyball and not football.

That proved a very costly mistake from him for Burnley.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best post I've read regarding this that hits the nail on the head perfectly.

The non collins fans are not categorically saying he won't go on to be a good centre half.They are merely pointing out that the evidence thus far deems that unlikely and with this sort of offer, it's probably sensible to do the business on the balance of probability and the fact we need to bring money in to address the problems we have within the existing squad.

The pro Collins fans are talking like it's a cast iron guarantee he'll become a top centre back.Other than the fact he's just 22 I have absolutely no idea what they are basing it on.If it was true, or very likely, the big clubs would be in for him.They aren't, they're nowhere to be seen.
What evidence? Half a season in a **** poor team with two **** poor managers being asked to organise and effectively run a mute defence at the age of 21 with 40 games under his belt?

DJLWolf

Reaction score
What evidence? Half a season in a **** poor team with two **** poor managers being asked to organise and effectively run a mute defence at the age of 21 with 40 games under his belt?

Let's ignore the fact that when a manager who isn't #### poor came in, the first thing he did was drop him.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is totally different level though
Moving a top player like Neves to Saudi, then loaning him to avoid FFP, whilst at same time having both clubs under same umbrella ownership is a definite conflict of interest
Fair play for the try but it wont go unnoticed
How is it a conflict of interests ? They are utilising the loan system by moving players round and yes avoiding the FFP to a small pint (only paying a loan fee I'd guess).
They haven't broken any rules have they, just found another way of player movement, something that the other clubs have not thought off or didn't need too.
Man City have moved players from New York to /from, it's because its a high profile player the eye brows are raised.
Are we not the same moving players to Portugal in numbers or Swiss league ?
I'd call it networking at its best and very clever.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins is a player with a lot of potential. I'd like us to keep him. But it's not the end of the world if he goes. I'm far more concerned at the notion of Fabio wanting out, and selling him at a loss, because that will be damning of the club, the project, and the failure of the last few years.
Good point, it's not that I think Collins is integral to us but it just seems like we are washing our hands with a young player who will go on to better things.

Fabio is the one we need to keep and Giles too. Both have the potential to really boost our attacking play and I'm hoping both get the chance.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's ignore the fact that when a manager who isn't #### poor came in, the first thing he did was drop him.
Not really ignoring him but it was the general consensus on here that Collins had started to improve (under J-Lo) and was unlucky not to start ahead of Kilman when we signed Dawson. I'd wager if Collins was left footed he would have got the nod - that might be over simplifying things, admittedly.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point, it's not that I think Collins is integral to us but it just seems like we are washing our hands with a young player who will go on to better things.

Fabio is the one we need to keep and Giles too. Both have the potential to really boost our attacking play and I'm hoping both get the chance.
PersonalIy think RAN is the one we need to keep the most. I'm a bit concerned that we are going to go into the season without anyone who has proven himself at this level at left back.

DJLWolf

Reaction score

Do you think 'washing our hands with him' is a fair way to put it?

I think what they're doing is selling an asset at a profit who the manager has decided won't be in the first 11 next season in order to raise funds to improve a squad in the areas he sees fit.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PersonalIy think RAN is the one we need to keep the most. I'm a bit concerned that we are going to go into the season without anyone who has proven himself at this level at left back.
Yea, I agree with keeping RAN. I wouldn't be against selling Bueno (if we get a big fee, which I'm not sure about) and using Giles as the other LB or a LM in the squad.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, but he had that "one calamity a game" tag to him and people suggesting he wasn't good enough - he has definitely matured past that now. I am not saying that 25m is bad business for Collins but neither do I think he is as bad as some here suggest. Even if we keep him for his full contract he will probably not be at his peak when he leaves.

He sat on the bench a lot so 25m, I suppose, is a good sum for a bit part player.
Get away with your common sense view.

No one knows if he can cut out the clangers he drops but he's young and with years to go as a CB. I suspect the issue is he's not played well for Lop, is sat on the bench needing games in order to improve, and if we can get 25m + sell on it's not really a bad deal for anyone. Not ideal but not bad.

I feel differently about Silva because I think he'd have been better than all of our (fit) centre-forwards last year and his value will change markedly if he scores a few goals. Given how hard it is to find a striker, I think it's daft to allow any talk of him leaving unless he has a bad pre-season training with Lop.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think what they're doing is selling an asset at a profit who the manager has decided won't be in the first 11 next season in order to raise funds to improve a squad in the areas he sees fit.
Yea but it's not exactly a major profit. Don't get me wrong, our season won't be better or worse without Collins in the squad; it's not what I am arguing. I just think he has genuine potential to go on and become a top player... if we do sell him then, selfishly, I hope I am proved massively wrong.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Fabio, it depends on what is meant as a loss.

He signed a 5 year contract on joining for a fee of £35m in September 2020. Straight line method amortisation over 5 years is £7m a year, so his balance sheet value after 2 financial years is currently £21m.

That’s how I see it, so if we get, say, £25m for him, we make a profit of £4m. Using some of my accountancy experience from years gone by unless I’m mistaken.

Alternatively, he cost £35m and we sell for £25m, so we lose £10m. I don’t see it that way, but I can understand why some people do.

He is also earning £80,000 a week, so a big saving in wages.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Just so I’m clear, the club paid £20m because he’s really highly rated, he’s just won irelands player of the year, and the Brentford analytics team who everyone raves about have offered £23m, which is a big fee for a defender.

On the other hand, someone with a lot of time on his hands in the middle of a working day thinks he’s ****….

Who to believe….

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that Burnley don't want him back. They don't think he is the potentially 80 million pound player every other person here thinks he is.
Unless you work in transfer team at wolves (or Burnley) it’s absolutely impossible to know if they want him.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yerson should stay another year and get more experience, or do a year in the chump.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of business sense wouldn't it be better to sell Kilman for £30m+ and keep Collins? I don't think there is anything between the two players, personally.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is it a conflict of interests ? They are utilising the loan system by moving players round and yes avoiding the FFP to a small pint (only paying a loan fee I'd guess).
They haven't broken any rules have they, just found another way of player movement, something that the other clubs have not thought off or didn't need too.
Man City have moved players from New York to /from, it's because its a high profile player the eye brows are raised.
Are we not the same moving players to Portugal in numbers or Swiss league ?
I'd call it networking at its best and very clever.
Because Newcastle owners also have a 60% stake in 4 Saudi clubs,so obviously its conflict of interest
Ive not said they have broken any rules, and i agree its using the system to an advantage
Us and Man City are totally different,we just use those teams as developement tools not FFP loopholes
As you say clever usage of a faulty system but it wont last long lol

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Just so I’m clear, the club paid £20m because he’s really highly rated, he’s just won irelands player of the year, and the Brentford analytics team who everyone raves about have offered £23m, which is a big fee for a defender.

On the other hand, someone with a lot of time on his hands in the middle of a working day thinks he’s ****….

Who to believe….

What a pathetic and trouble making post.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have thought the Tonali move would have ruled out the idea of Newcastle firstly needing to game the FFP system and secondly adding another deeper-lying midfielder

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yea, I agree with keeping RAN. I wouldn't be against selling Bueno (if we get a big fee, which I'm not sure about) and using Giles as the other LB or a LM in the squad.
I think RAN will go, not down to ability but down to attitude. It was reported that JL didn’t like his intensity in training. I think he’s (marginally) a better player than Bueno but the latter fits what JL wants. Either way I’d like to see a senior LB recruited as we can’t go with two out of Giles /RAN / Bueno especially as Giles is very suspect defensively or he was when I’ve watched him

Reactions: Ned

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a pathetic and trouble making post.
while the tone of the post wasn’t great i understand his frustrations. there’s some posters on here with extreme opinions on stuff that won’t listen to other people, won’t take any critique of their viewpoint and refuse point blank to conside anything else.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of business sense wouldn't it be better to sell Kilman for £30m+ and keep Collins? I don't think there is anything between the two players, personally.
That for me personally. I think Collins will prove to be a better defender and have a better career than Kilman

DJLWolf

Reaction score
while the tone of the post wasn’t great i understand his frustrations. there’s some posters on here with extreme opinions on stuff that won’t listen to other people, won’t take any critique of their viewpoint and refuse point blank to conside anything else.
Ye, understand that.I won't change my mind on Collins, but I accept he could prove me wrong - of course he could.

I've also said previously that I think this is just a case of the club making the decision based on probability.

If Lopetegui wanted to keep him, then that would be enough for me - I trust him to do what's best for the squad.

Regarding that post - I'm not interested in conversing with people like that, Wolves fan or not.

Back
Top Bottom