Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect Collins has talent, but he strikes me as someone who believes in the hype around him becoming a great defender ... one day. To me he looks overly casual, a poor passer, and a clumsy challenge away from a penalty. not sure I ever noticed him as a threat in the opposition penalty box at corners either.

He MAY become good, but is it really worth a £25m risk to prove it? Do we have the coaches who can improve him? Is Dawson working to improve him? Personally I would LOVE to have Dawson's honest opinion of the lad. Perhaps JL has asked him....
I am not a hater of any player but if collins is worth more than 25m neves should be going for 75m

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mentioned Dembele yesterday. Despite being French I believe he qualifies as homegrown due to spending 4 years with Fulham before he turned 21. The homegrown factor is especially important, since we can only have 17 non-homegrown players.

His goalscoring record prior to last season was outstanding, 52 goals in 70 starts in Ligue 1. I haven't looked into why his form fell off this season, perhaps Lyon opted against playing him as he was running his contract down. He also had a brief loan spell at Atletico Madrid where he made only 5 substitute appearances.

Interesting option. I'd still prefer Gyokeres personally.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mentioned Dembele yesterday. Despite being French I believe he qualifies as homegrown due to spending 4 years with Fulham before he turned 21. The homegrown factor is especially important, since we can only have 17 non-homegrown players.

His goalscoring record prior to last season was outstanding, 52 goals in 70 starts in Ligue 1. I haven't looked into why his form fell off this season, perhaps Lyon opted against playing him as he was running his contract down. He also had a brief loan spell at Atletico Madrid where he made only 5 substitute appearances.

Dembele is twice the player Gyokeres is, imo of course.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't really see it with Gyokeres tbf. Dembele on the other hand, good option.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dembele is twice the player Gyokeres is, imo of course.
I think he's a better player now, but I don't think Gyokeres has stopped developing yet. I can see Dembele going to Saudi, they've been offering free agents ridiculous wages...

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just get Dembele and Gyorkeres . Costa has gone , jiminez may go , also the generational talent may go . That would be good business imo as jiminez and Fabio out those two in .

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They just lost £50m because the Raya sale fell through, so maybe they haven’t got that much to spend.

Saw that Spurs had gone for some Estonian keeper instead for 1/3 of the price. Don't see anyone (outside of the Saudi league) dropping £50m on Raya.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Shock horror. Player not used very much by manager is being sold for profit so said manager can bring in players he actually wants/will use. Save yourselves the heartache, enjoy the weather and let JL/Hobbs re-mould our squad. Things can only get better after last season!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just get Dembele and Gyorkeres . Costa has gone , jiminez may go , also the generational talent may go . That would be good business imo as jiminez and Fabio out those two in .

With Sasa to be gradually returned to fitness, sounds good to me. They couldn't all 3 get crocked for a season, could they? Though if it could happen to anyone ....

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Republic of Ireland player of the year Nathan Collins appreciated everywhere but at Molineux
He's played better for Ireland than for Wolves tbf. He not been convincing at all for us yet but I still think he's probably worth keeping if we are only making 5 million on him. Still personally don't think he's going to be as good as some think he will. I feel the mistakes he has in his game will always be there, just depends on if he can minimise them.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo fee was ludicrous.

If you think our total income as a club has fluctuated around £150-180m in the time we've been in the Premier League/Europe, there is no way any business, regardless of industry, should be paying out 1/5th or 1/6th of their annual income on a non key employee! A right back will never be key for any team.

Doherty was a key player for us! So I dispute your argument about defenders being key players.

I agree Semedo was overpriced and no more than an average right back.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m being pedantic but whenever I’ve seen Brentford it’s been long passes rather than old school lumps up the pitch, that needs a certain level of ball playing defender.
if only we had such a player capable of precision balls from deep.
I’d take demeble as costa replacement

Still need that proper cf that will guarantee goals
if you don’t view Dembele as that striker i think you will be very very disappointed this summer.

Madmalc

Reaction score
You can only sell players who people want to buy ..you can't sell Sanderson to Brentford for 25m just cause you want to.......
Ask yourself is Collins really 10 times the player Sanderson is..?

Personally I'd like to keep both Sanderson and Collins and have both of them covering RB/CB, with Semedo gone and hopefully recouping some of the 30m paid for him.

Last year arguably Dawson would have been our player of the season, I can see similarities between Sanderson and Dawson, in that both fly under the wire of international call ups, and I also think Sanderson has a bigger potential upside than Collins, due to the usual chronic undervaluation typical of Wolves homegrown talent.

Madmalc

Reaction score
It's odd publicly stating our transfer strategy regrading values prepared to be spent, never seen any club do this before or how it will help us as sellers will just push up the price.
It looks like a strategy to prevent someone knocking on someone's door and whispering, 'There's this 18 year old Generational Talent, only played 4 first team games, yours for just 50m..'

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Personally I'd like to keep both Sanderson and Collins and have both of them covering RB/CB, with Semedo gone and hopefully recouping some of the 30m paid for him.

Last year arguably Dawson would have been our player of the season, I can see similarities between Sanderson and Dawson, in that both fly under the wire of international call ups, and I also think Sanderson has a bigger potential upside than Collins, due to the usual chronic undervaluation typical of Wolves homegrown talent.
I don’t think selling an experienced right back and replacing him with two inexperienced CB’s out of position is the way forward at all.

Have you seen much of Sanderson, he is where he is, a very average championship centre back, asking him to play out wide against the best wide players in the world would absolutely kill him

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What you going on about....I plucked a player out the air with Sanderson.....just used him as an example that you can just sell who you want to make big money....

Nothing to do with picking on homegrown players I could off said the same about Yerson kawebe bolla etc

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Sasa to be gradually returned to fitness, sounds good to me. They couldn't all 3 get crocked for a season, could they? Though if it could happen to anyone ....
That's what I am thinking. One has to stay fit surely

Madmalc

Reaction score
Doesn't matter where you are born....you just need to do 3 years or so at a club in the UK before you are 21......

Fabregas was homegrown for arsenal...
I thought there's a rule that you're homegrown in the system and for the club you're playing at until you become a full international player. Then you're only homegrown for the club you were playing at before becoming a full international. Any club that then buys a full international who doesn’t play for that clubs home nation takes up a non homegrown place.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
The Mix: Collins will never make it as a top player

Also the Mix: Brentford's transfer policy is exceptional. Never make a bad signing

Today's news: Brentford are pulling out all the stops to sign Nathan Collins

Brentford and Collins will be in a relegation fight next season without Toney.

We won't be.

Mark my words.

Everyone needs to stop being so obsessed with Brentford for crying out loud.A tiny club that will be nowhere near the Premier league within 3 years time.

One swallow does not make a summer.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sanderson has had loans at Birmingham, QPR and Sunderland. If he was any more than a Championship CH there’d be a queue of suitors knocking on our door for his services but unless I’m mistaken there is no such queue which tells me he isn’t the player you want him to be.

Back
Top Bottom